1. Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities for the sports fans. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

It’s Done: San Diego Sports Media Decides to Largely Stick With Chargers Football

Discussion in 'American Football' started by RaiderRay, Aug 11, 2017.

1. RaiderRay

RaiderRay RIP SD Chargers..F the LA Chargers, Go Irish Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,233
    http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...ides-to-largely-stick-with-chargers-football/

It’s Done: San Diego Sports Media Decides to Largely Stick With Chargers Football
    After grappling with months of disbelief and uncertainty about their business models going forward, most in local media have decided to still treat the Chargers as the local favorite worth following, though with a bit of distance.
    Dallas McLaughlin2 hours ago
    [​IMG]
    Photo by Jamie Scott Lytle
    A fan holds up a sign at a 2015 Chargers-Dolphins game at Qualcomm Stadium.

Subscribe to San Diego's top stories.
    whether local sports media should even talk about the Chargers anymore has filled some of the void of fighting over actual Chargers football.

The debate is still raging, although it appears the media has made its choice. After grappling with months of disbelief and uncertainty about their business models going forward, most in local media have decided to still treat the Chargers as the local favorite worth following, though with a bit of distance.

“You try to explain it to people,” said Darren Smith, co-host of the midday show on the Mighty 1090. “We look at the data, the digital downloads, the streams, and of course ratings, and to this day anything Chargers dwarfs everything else we talk about.”

Social media may make you think that the Chargers are a hated entity in San Diego. But people in this town still love – or at least love to hate – the Chargers. Either way, people are consuming Chargers stories.

We Stand Up for You. Will You Stand Up for Us?
    On Twitter, an exasperated Jay Posner, editor of the sports page at the San Diego Union-Tribune, posted his basic philosophy: Stop reading what you don’t want to read.

“We will have [fewer] Chargers stories than in past. But we will have them and the reason we will have them is because people read them. Maybe you don’t. But other people do. If you don’t want to read, don’t,” he wrote.

That’s guiding many radio shows too.

“This is a business at the end of the day. We need those numbers to survive, so we’re going to cover what the audience is clearly showing us they want,” Smith said. “I was as surprised as anyone! When the Chargers left, I thought this would be a great opportunity for other sports to move in and take the forefront, but it hasn’t happened. Hasn’t even come close.”

It seems that perhaps instead of tweeting at or calling your local station to force change, you might want to tweet at your fellow fans who still wave the Spanos flag.

I asked Smith about the recent trend of Twitter users making public their intentions to quit listening to sports stations if the Chargers talk continues.

“It hurts. It really does. It hurts to see that, and have fans mention you their public declarations that they’re no longer going to listen,” Smith said.

The response from a lot of talk jocks on social media has been to encourage those wanting to quit listening to actually quit.

“I know why you’re upset and mad, but don’t rub my nose in it. That’s frustrating. I didn’t make the decision for the team to leave,” Smith said.

Another talk jock who seems to really enjoy interacting with fans on social media, whether it’s positive or negative, is Rich Ohrnberger, one half of “The Mark & Rich Show” on XTRASports 1360. “People on Twitter make these huge public posts about how they aren’t gonna listen anymore and then a week later – they do it again. It’s like, OK I get that you’re upset but what are you trying to gain with all this?”

Ohrnberger has been on 1360 for about a year. Before that, he was an offensive lineman in the NFL for more than five seasons – last playing for the San Diego Chargers in 2014.

“As a player and now as a radio personality the fans can turn on you in a heartbeat, and then turn right back. I’m used to it, so I don’t think about it much.” Ohrnberger said.

“It’s a fluid situation right now, how much we talk or don’t talk about the Chargers. One guarantee is that they’ll be a vocal faction who wants to hear it, and a vocal faction who doesn’t. We are actually trying to reach the people in the middle.” Orhnberger said.

It seems like the one thing every member of the media can agree on is that no one will be happy, no matter what you do.

Michael Glickenhaus, president and market manager for BCA Radio, which houses the Mighty 1090, agreed.

“People are very upset and angry, but then there are people who will be diehard Chargers fans for life. We still see a vast majority of people at our events wearing Chargers gear. We’ll keep monitoring it like we’ve been doing. We definitely cover less Chargers than before and have started to cover all Southern California teams,” he said.

Indeed, talk of the Rams, Lakers and Clippers has begun to creep into local broadcasts more and more.

“We don’t tell our on-air talent what to talk about,” Glickenhaus said. “We have regular staff meetings to present listener feedback, ratings and data info, and then have a meeting of the minds to determine what the listeners what. We don’t in anyway dictate topics to the shows.”

As radio and print media continue to switch up content and game plans at a breakneck pace in an effort to keep up with on-demand platforms that offer niche content, they feel a desperate need to gravitate toward what the masses ask for.

“We go in looking for relevant topics, that’s what dictates what we talk about,” Smith said.

“I look at it like we’re having a party” Ohrnberger said, “and we want everyone to come to the party and have fun.”

“You have a choice,” Glickenhaus said, “and we realize that. But we also need to have the biggest audience we can.”

This article relates to: Sports

• Like Like x 1
  2. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +898
    I know why you’re upset and mad, but don’t rub my nose in it. That’s frustrating. I didn’t make the decision for the team to leave,” Smith said.

Clearly you don't. If you're going to advertise the business of the people who just dicked us and expect us to ignore that, you don't understand why we're upset.

On Twitter, an exasperated Jay Posner, editor of the sports page at the San Diego Union-Tribune, posted his basic philosophy: Stop reading what you don’t want to read.

Crap. I just read that. Maybe it's because I'm not a complete puss (a puss - just not a complete one). I don't only read from people I agree with. **** - I read Acee's ***-kiss articles about Norv Turner and your paper's general ***-kissing of the Spanoses for years. If you're a "journalist" and can't take criticism from your readers, you suck at your job.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LABoltFan

LABoltFan Bunker Transplant

Ratings:
    +327
    Fighting For SD

4. RaiderRay

RaiderRay RIP SD Chargers..F the LA Chargers, Go Irish Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,233
    Sucks that a year later, our local media is still covers these guys. 1360 and the UT are the worst.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TTK

TTK EX-Charger Fan

Ratings:
    +717
    Well it may make you feel better to know that 1360s ratings are in the toilet.

I don't think it's a 1360 issue though. It's a Benedict Hardwick issue. The other 1360 shows rip on the spanii pretty much any chance they can get.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Faded Blues

Faded Blues BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +44
    It’s bullshit.

I guarantee the drop off has been severe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,309
    So let me get this straight, an online rag by a bunch of wanna-be blogoligists that are pro-spanni post a pos article trying to justify their position

got it

FUDEAN

8. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan View from the King's balcony!

Ratings:
    +346
    Desperation. Pads stink annually, no one cares about that AAA club under dismal ownership. Sports media are sinking under the weight of the relocation and grabbing for life preservers.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,162
    Let's not leave out 1090.....Darren Smith is HORRIBLE. Hate listening to that guy. Great of him to speak for San Diegans......he was NEVER vocal against the move. Doubt he has any skin in the game, had a milktoast attitude re: the move and how to react from the beginning. And folks wonder why San Diego gets a bad reputation as an apathetic city? It's largely on the lame media of this town. Hope 1090 ratings plummet to earth and Smith and his cronies all get canned. As I said in a much earlier post......Hacksaw was WAY better and sportstalk than Smith and that's really setting the bar low. Smith talks more about personal issues and has more incidental conversation with his other hosts than anything else. Complete waste of time. I've stopped listening.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  10. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,162
    Let's not go overboard on this story. What is the validity of it? It's written by someone named Dallas McClaughlin, a freelance contributor to the Voice of San Diego. It's a f-ing single person's viewpoint.....so the issue is settled, "IT's DONE????? LMAO. One f-ing guy's opinion with zero facts and a few comments from idiots like Darren Smith. Oh that settles it and "it's done" allright.Whatever you say Dallas:rolleyes::roflmao:

11. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +984
    “As a player and now as a radio personality the fans can turn on you in a heartbeat, and then turn right back. I’m used to it, so I don’t think about it much.” Ohrnberger said

That's flat out stupid. Wasn't the Chargers faux theme of 'returning' for the still loyal from 1960 Los Angekes fans?

The franchise deserves zero attention. From everyone.

12. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +898
    That really looks like my writing, but I don't remember writing it - nor do I know how to write within quotes. The magical herb must have been working in fine form whatever night that was.

• Funny Funny x 1