• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Is there still any interest in Volek?

Volek puts in extra time while awaiting Sunday call
By Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com
September 08, 2006

Billy Volek says he has been preparing for Sunday’s opener against the New York Jets, in case he is called upon to be the starter.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher has yet to officially name a starter for Sunday’s opener, between Volek and Kerry Collins, but most speculation has centered around Collins getting the call.

“I’ve been putting in a lot of extra hours,” Volek said. “I came in Tuesday on our day off and broke down some film and got in a lift. I’m putting in extra hours, which I always do. I’m comfortable with the game plan we have, and I’m just ready to get the regular season here.”

If the Titans carry through with their earlier designation of rookie Vince Young as the No. 2 quarterback, then there is the possibility Volek would be listed as the third-string emergency quarterback Sunday.

If Volek is on the Titans roster Sunday, his $1 million base salary guaranteed.

“I really have no choice,” Volek said. “I’ve got to make the best out of what it is. The Tennessee Titans own my rights.”

Volek started three of Tennessee’s four preseason games, but once Collins was signed, he asked to be released, though the Titans did not grant that request. Volek does have a no-trade clause, which allows him veto power in case he is included in any trade.

“I do have a no-trade clause, which means, for everybody who doesn’t know it, that I can turn down any trade. I can be traded for, but I am a Tennessee Titan right now,” Volek said. “They own my rights, and that’s the bottom line.”

The San Diego Chargers were reportedly interested in him before final cuts, but no deal materialized, and Volek said Thursday, “None have been presented to me” in terms of trade offers.

The Titans and Chargers meet in San Diego Sept. 17. The trade deadline is Oct. 17.
Full Article

Is A.J. still interested I wonder? with the extra spot vacated by Foley?

Makes much sense...I'm wondering also if A.J. does sign Volek, will Rip come up with a new avatar?:icon_shrug: :icon_mrgreen:

sdchrger

mapcap55 said:
Makes much sense...I'm wondering also if A.J. does sign Volek, will Rip come up with a new avatar?:icon_shrug: :icon_mrgreen:

Since we play the Titans next week, it makes more sense for them to wait until after that game to trade Volek to us. I think that there might well be a deal in place just on hold until after week 2.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
sdchrger said:
Since we play the Titans next week, it makes more sense for them to wait until after that game to trade Volek to us. I think that there might well be a deal in place just on hold until after week 2.
You may be correct. Kerry Collins is starting at QB for the Titans today, Vince Young is the backup and Volek is #3. He's also been withg the team the longest, ansd saw minimal success as their starter during Steve McNair's numerous injuries as of late. I can't imagine that Billy Volek will quietly be the "good soldier" on the sidelines all year for the greater good of watching Kerry Collins and eventually Vince Young under center for "his" team! :no:

He may end up being a Charger and might even join us during our bye week, which is right after we play Tennessee! :yes:

Volek for Donnie straight up, anyone? :icon_shrug:

I bet the Titans trade Volek to us after week 2, after the Titans play the Chargers.

No way they trade him to us before we play them.

Shamrock

Lancer 1 said:
Volek for Donnie straight up, anyone? :icon_shrug:
Maybe AJ trades Donnie to Tennessee for Volek and a 4th. Titans turns around and send Donnie to the 'Aints for a 3rd.

We get a vet QB and a very early 2nd day pick. New Orleans gets a LB for what they previously offered, and the Titans basically trade an early 4th for an early 3rd by getting rid of their #3 QB.

Everyone's happy.

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
If we do trade for Volek, we will NOT get him until a week from tomorrow
the titans do NOT want to trade a quarterback who knows their game plan the week they are playing that team.
Look for the Chargers to acquire Volek in week 3 and the Saints will get Edwards by the trade deadline

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Shamrock said:
Maybe AJ trades Donnie to Tennessee for Volek and a 4th. Titans turns around and send Donnie to the 'Aints for a 3rd.

We get a vet QB and a very early 2nd day pick. New Orleans gets a LB for what they previously offered, and the Titans basically trade an early 4th for an early 3rd by getting rid of their #3 QB.

Everyone's happy.
You could be a State Department negotiator! :tup:

Shamrock

Want to know how trading Volek affects Tennessee's salary cap?

NFLPA.org Volek salary history

2006 1,000,000.00
2007 1,250,000.00

USA Today Salary Database - Volek

$ 2,200,000 signing bonus paid in 2004, on a four year contract. It does have a no trade clause.

From the Titans standpoint, they have $ 1.1 mill of the 2004 signing bonus to amortize. However, cap wise for 2006, they would gain money by trading him. That's because his 2006 cap figure should be:

2006 base: $ 1,000,000
1/4 signing bonus: $ 550,000

= $ 1,550,000

Subtract what the "dead space" hit would be from the 2006 cap charge:

$ 1,550,000
= $450,000

Tennessee GAINS $ 450,000 in 2006 cap space by trading Volek.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Shamrock said:
Want to know how trading Volek affects Tennessee's salary cap?

NFLPA.org Volek salary history

2006 1,000,000.00
2007 1,250,000.00

USA Today Salary Database - Volek

$ 2,200,000 signing bonus paid in 2004, on a four year contract. It does have a no trade clause.

From the Titans standpoint, they have $ 1.1 mill of the 2004 signing bonus to amortize. However, cap wise for 2006, they would gain money by trading him. That's because his 2006 cap figure should be:

2006 base: $ 1,000,000
1/4 signing bonus: $ 550,000

= $ 1,550,000

Subtract what the "dead space" hit would be from the 2006 cap charge:

$ 1,550,000
= $450,000

Tennessee GAINS $ 450,000 in 2006 cap space by trading Volek.
That's yet another reason they'll have to throw in a draft pick as well! :icon_wink: