Interesting pass protection Stat...

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

mapcap55

BoltTalker
Aug 21, 2006
From a Pasquarelli article on ESPN:

There were 81 sacks last week, an average of slightly more than five per game, and that is a pace that would set a new high since the NFL went to the 256-game schedule in 2002, when the Texans came into the league as an expansion team. Of the 32 starting quarterbacks, only four -- New Orleans' Drew Brees, the New York Giants' Eli Manning, Washington's Mark Brunell and San Diego's Philip Rivers -- didn't hit the deck at least once.

Good Job O-line :tup:

boltssbbound

Jun 16, 2006
PostAnteaterCharger said:
very in consideration that Shane Olivea held down Derrick burress all day
Just like he did last year. In the game that Olivea sat out with an injury, Burgess had two sacks. In the game Olivea started, he had 0. Too bad Shane "TRex" Olivea can't pass protect. :icon_rofl: :icon_huh:

anger management

Sep 1, 2006
I think the fact that we only dropped back 11 times has a lot to do with it.

Our OL still needs work IMO.

:bolt:

mapcap55

BoltTalker
Aug 21, 2006
anger management said:
I think the fact that we only dropped back 11 times has a lot to do with it.

Our OL still needs work IMO.

Out of 11 times how many times did Rivers feel heat?

I can seriously only remember once and we all saw what happened then...

But I do agree with you, 11 pass attempts makes it easy to produce a sackless day.

boltssbbound

Jun 16, 2006
If Brooks had dropped back to pass 11 times, he only would have been sacked 6 times. :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

anger management

Sep 1, 2006
mapcap55 said:
Out of 11 times how many times did Rivers feel heat?

I can seriously only remember once and we all saw what happened then...

But I do agree with you, 11 pass attempts makes it easy to produce a sackless day.
I only remember that one time. Not bad, but it will change when we start passing more.

Dielman and Hardwick struggled. Especially against the run.

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
I don't want to be a Debbie-downer, but when your QB only throws 11 passes and the opposing team is 100% focused on LT, you shouldn't give up any sacks.

One thing I noticed is that PR's quick-release does seem to be real, and not just a training camp/preseason phenomenon. Brees wouldn't have completed that pass to Parker with Sapp in his face. I think PR's release will save us eight or nine sacks over the course of the season.

anger management

Sep 1, 2006
Thunderstruck said:
One thing I noticed is that PR's quick-release does seem to be real, and not just a training camp/preseason phenomenon. Brees wouldn't have completed that pass to Parker with Sapp in his face. I think PR's release will save us eight or nine sacks over the course of the season.
I swear that Rivers can throw two passes in the time it takes Leftwich to throw one. That guy seems like he's in slow motion during his windup.

I really like that quick release to go along with his accuracy. Should be a fun 10 years or so.

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
anger management said:
I swear that Rivers can throw two passes in the time it takes Leftwich to throw one. That guy seems like he's in slow motion during his windup.

I really like that quick release to go along with his accuracy. Should be a fun 10 years or so.

Not to mention he put pretty good mustard on that throw to Parker. That wasn't horrible coverage by the Raiders and if you look at the replay, the window-of-opportunity really wasn't all that wide open. He threw that ball on-time with perfect accuracy and very good velocity with a guy getting ready to blow him up.

It was beautiful. (sniff)

boltssbbound

Jun 16, 2006
anger management said:

Word. Leftwich has the slowest wind up in the league. His big arm doesn't begin to make up for that slow delivery.

I'll take Rivers' solid arm and lightning release anyday.

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
boltssbbound said:
Just like he did last year. In the game that Olivea sat out with an injury, Burgess had two sacks. In the game Olivea started, he had 0. Too bad Shane "TRex" Olivea can't pass protect. :icon_rofl: :icon_huh:
Bad footwork, stubby wingspan, if I'm readin things right!!:icon_eek: :unsure: :icon_mrgreen: :lol: :tup: :icon_rofl: :icon_banana:

RayDahayder

BoltTalker
Sep 12, 2006
Thunderstruck said:
I don't want to be a Debbie-downer, but when your QB only throws 11 passes and the opposing team is 100% focused on LT, you shouldn't give up any sacks.

And his accuracy will win a few games that Drew possibly wouldn't have won with his "somewhere within reach" passes.

I was totally impressed with how Rivers puts that ball right on the money. His 'worst' completion was when Gates had to catch the ball around his head instead of on the numbers.

I can't wait to see Rivers when he's allowed to finally open it up and use the whole playbook.:icon_banana: