• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

How will Chargers' veterans respond to Rivers' inevitable growing pains?

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Philip Rivers doesn’t want people to view Drew Brees’ departure in free agency and Rivers’ corresponding ascension to the starting role as a setback. “I haven’t played a ton, that’s true,” Rivers told a throng of media the day after Brees signed a six-year, $60 million deal with New Orleans. “But I’ve had the two years, and I know the abilities I do have. But the thing that’s key to mention is we have a good team. We have a couple guys that are as good as there is in the league and (they are) mixed in with a bunch of good, solid players. It’s important for me to be myself and not try to do too much, and we’ll be fine and go where we want to go.” Rivers’ confidence is noteworthy, and he says he learned a lot in his two years by watching Brees and listening to coaches. However, how a San Diego roster that, on paper, appears ready to win now responds to the inevitable growing pains of an inexperienced quarterback figures to be key early on.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcwest

Based on the LT, Lo'Neal interview on the NFL Network, I am willing to say there is indeed some trepidation on the part of the veterans of the team. I think that is understandable, however I also know until the workouts and mini camps start... There is no changing it.

Sorry O, I had ta post it.:icon_smile:

O'reilly

I think when the time comes, those guys will get behind the kid...they know he has talent and is a team guy...I think he is well liked and I don't think he will act like a total rookie out there...he has seen the speed of the game for two years and learned from a couple of pretty good QB's in Brees and Flutie...
These guys aren't stupid...they know a winner when they see one and this kid is a winner...

O'reilly said:
I think when the time comes, those guys will get behind the kid...they know he has talent and is a team guy...I think he is well liked and I don't think he will act like a total rookie out there...he has seen the speed of the game for two years and learned from a couple of pretty good QB's in Brees and Flutie...
These guys aren't stupid...they know a winner when they see one and this kid is a winner...
I think you're right. The veterans will get behind Rivers. I think Brees was a very likable guy and it's probably as hard for the players to see him leave as it has been for some of the fans.

There is no doubt Rivers has the talent, the question is how long will it take him to jell in this system?

O'reilly

Thumper said:
I think you're right. The veterans will get behind Rivers. I think Brees was a very likable guy and it's probably as hard for the players to see him leave as it has been for some of the fans.

There is no doubt Rivers has the talent, the question is how long will it take him to jell in this system?
STFU Thumper...

:lol