Hosmer?

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
who's exceeding expectations......Margot? Anyone else? I think they figured pitching would struggle and the bats might help them out. Overall starting pitchers not bad but Green pulls them and then the bullpen caves. Not real confident in this team retaining first place for long, gotta win this series with CO first. Then move on. If yesterday happens again and we lose this series, look out below.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
who's exceeding expectations......Margot? Anyone else? I think they figured pitching would struggle and the bats might help them out. Overall starting pitchers not bad but Green pulls them and then the bullpen caves. Not real confident in this team retaining first place for long, gotta win this series with CO first. Then move on. If yesterday happens again and we lose this series, look out below.
Most of the starting pitchers and Wil Myers are doing better than I thought they would. It is still early though.

Hosmer was mediocre last year, and, so far this year, isn't even mediocre.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Most of the starting pitchers and Wil Myers are doing better than I thought they would. It is still early though.

Hosmer was mediocre last year, and, so far this year, isn't even mediocre.
yup, still way early........gotta wait and see.....it's just that the wins have not exactly been comfortable blowout wins for the most part. Nailbiters. If the bats come alive bigtime those could turn into big wins, if not and the pitching and especially younger pitchers become cinderallas at midnight with the league figuring them out, nailbiters could turn into losses. We'll just have to see how it plays out. At least they are doing considerably better in the standings than ever hoped thus far.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Not really concerned with winning the division anyway, from the start I said 3rd place or Green gets fired. So far, Skip is doing a good job, and the team is exceeding (my) expectations. I still feel a veteran starter and reliever is needed next year to round out the rotation, who will have one full season under their belts. They’ll be rocking the World Series in the beautiful brown unis in the future.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Not really concerned with winning the division anyway, from the start I said 3rd place or Green gets fired. So far, Skip is doing a good job, and the team is exceeding (my) expectations. I still feel a veteran starter and reliever is needed next year to round out the rotation, who will have one full season under their belts. They’ll be rocking the World Series in the beautiful brown unis in the future.
Green sucks. You were right. Don't hold back now. We need a manager who can shit or get off the pot. Do we want to put Urias at second and focus on the future, or do we want to try to win now with Kinsler? Either way has its pluses and minuses. But putting Urias, a highly-touted virtual rookie who hasn't yet figured out how to hit Major League pitching, at three different positions and the bench in less than a week, is ridiculous. That isn't what a real manager would do. Green is going to ruin our young talent. He has already ruined our bullpen.

TTK

Swag Chain! SPIN IT!
Jul 30, 2007
Green sucks. You were right. Don't hold back now. We need a manager who can **** or get off the pot. Do we want to put Urias at second and focus on the future, or do we want to try to win now with Kinsler? Either way has its pluses and minuses. But putting Urias, a highly-touted virtual rookie who hasn't yet figured out how to hit Major League pitching, at three different positions and the bench in less than a week, is ridiculous. That isn't what a real manager would do. Green is going to ruin our young talent. He has already ruined our bullpen.
Both Urias and Kinsler stink right now. If Kinsler was lighting it up, that would be one thing but I can understand going with the kid for now because he has a ton of upside.

If he continues to struggle he'll get sent back down.

TTK

Swag Chain! SPIN IT!
Jul 30, 2007
yup, still way early........gotta wait and see.....it's just that the wins have not exactly been comfortable blowout wins for the most part. Nailbiters. If the bats come alive bigtime those could turn into big wins, if not and the pitching and especially younger pitchers become cinderallas at midnight with the league figuring them out, nailbiters could turn into losses. We'll just have to see how it plays out. At least they are doing considerably better in the standings than ever hoped thus far.
The frustating thing is that when the bats come alive, the pitching struggles. When the offense struggles, the pitching does well. The whole team has yet to click on all cylinders and they're still in first place. Maybe they come back to Earth and start dropping in the standings but if they start clicking its going to really get exciting. :)

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Both Urias and Kinsler stink right now. If Kinsler was lighting it up, that would be one thing but I can understand going with the kid for now because he has a ton of upside.

If he continues to struggle he'll get sent back down.
That wasn't my point. Benching Kinsler and putting Urias at second would make sense, or sending Urias to the minors and letting Kinsler or somebody else play second would be fine. But expecting a rookie we are counting on for our future to get better at hitting while playing three different positions and spending time on the bench is ridiculous. We pay managers to lead and make decisions. I don't know anything about Green's leadership skills, but we have enough evidence to see he can't make decisions he is willing to stick with. Just like Fender used to tell us, Green just sticks to whatever the book says.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Well Hosmer might be a great candidate for benching, despite having the 2nd biggest contract on the team. The dude is falling WAY short of expectations.....not just in 2018 but now to start 2019.....there are 4 corner outfielders doing much more producing at the plate and when Cordero is back that makes 5. The dude better turn it around or he should just be benched. Tremendous disappointment thus far.
https://eastvillagetimes.com/2019/04/is-it-time-for-the-padres-to-consider-benching-eric-hosmer/

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Hosmer is one of the best defensive first basemen in baseball. I wonder how Wil would handle the acrobatic throws from Manny and Tatis, Hosmer makes it look easy over there.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Hosmer is one of the best defensive first basemen in baseball. I wonder how Wil would handle the acrobatic throws from Manny and Tatis, Hosmer makes it look easy over there.
That's the problem,,,,,they either have defense or offense but not both with many of these guys. Hedges, Hosmer, Kinsler, etc. Hosmer wasn't supposed to be that way. Defensive catchers are important. Hedges frames pitches way better than Mejia. And agree on the importance of defense at 1st base. Heck defense is important period. Until the backups can get up to speed and hopefully provide combined hitting and defense, this team will continue to struggle. If nothing else they are unpredictable. I guess we'll be seeing a lot of rotations so gotta get used to that. The problem is guys like Mejia need reps and lots of them at the MLB level in order to progress as rapidly as possible. Maybe the strategy oughta shift from 'win now' to just throw the young guys in there and let them learn as quickly as possible. Of course it can backfire too....hurt the confidence if they fail. Psychologically they have to be tough and the manager, fans, front office have to be patient with them. Not easy.

Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
That's the problem,,,,,they either have defense or offense but not both with many of these guys. Hedges, Hosmer, Kinsler, etc. Hosmer wasn't supposed to be that way. Defensive catchers are important. Hedges frames pitches way better than Mejia. And agree on the importance of defense at 1st base. Heck defense is important period. Until the backups can get up to speed and hopefully provide combined hitting and defense, this team will continue to struggle. If nothing else they are unpredictable. I guess we'll be seeing a lot of rotations so gotta get used to that. The problem is guys like Mejia need reps and lots of them at the MLB level in order to progress as rapidly as possible. Maybe the strategy oughta shift from 'win now' to just throw the young guys in there and let them learn as quickly as possible. Of course it can backfire too....hurt the confidence if they fail. Psychologically they have to be tough and the manager, fans, front office have to be patient with them. Not easy.
Agree with everything you say. Green has a big task, he has to balance all this stuff out. But I do agree that Hosmer is a major disappointment offensively and I’m sure the Padres brass did not count on that, not for that money.