• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Hey! You! Yeah You Rivers Rats! Listen Up!!!

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
We spent the last two years (or more) arguing about Quarterbacks. Spittle flew to the point of flooding the forums. I argued for Drew, you argued for Philip. I asked for proof that Philip was the QB you said he was, no one could offer it.

His previous preseason plays were horrid, tripping over his feet, throwing passes to the ground, running from phantom pressure. His camp time didn’t impress me either, I was seriously worried when it looked like we would hand the reins of the O to Philip, based on that assessment.

This preseason however Philip has shown what you guys were hoping for. His play has been good, he has handled pressure like a veteran starting QB. The play against the Bears where the corner comes in on the blitz and hits Rivers, and Rivers shrugs him off and moved out to the side and hit Floyd for positive yardage. BEAUTY! He showed he can handle pressure and make things happen.

Bottom line, Budsman, Eldwin, PR#1, Reiff, Hexedbolt and all the other Rivers Rats. You were 100% right about PR. I offer the props you deserve. I am comfortable with Philip as our QB, he is good, and I expect no drop off in our O from last season. He may not take us to the playoffs this season, but that will be because of the OL more than PRs ability.

I am a believer. Rivers is a good QB. I do not agree with your assessments of Drew, but that doesn’t matter as he aint no Bolt no mo!

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Electric Chair said:
What is a River Rat anyhow? Always thought that was dumb.
Hey, its better than the PR Corps!:lol:

Man I spill my guts, and admit my wrongness and you have to go there! Your hurtfull!:lol:

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Shamrock said:
When leisure gets around to acknowledging this thread, ask him how Brees looked tonight ...
Brees' highlights didnt look too bad. Though do the saints have a D?

Shamrock

Concudan said:
Dallas should have had a pick six but dropped the ball. How many 3 and outs did Brees have?

Saints have no D or OL.

They'll need a gunslinger to keep them in games, and even a healthy Brees didn't have the arm for that. It's going to be a long season for them.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Shamrock said:
Dallas should have had a pick six but dropped the ball. How many 3 and outs did Brees have?

Saints have no D or OL.

They'll need a gunslinger to keep them in games, and even a healthy Brees didn't have the arm for that. It's going to be a long season for them.
I dont know how many three and outs he had. I was on the plane. I am just saying the highlights didnt look bad. What was his final stats?

Concudan said:
Allow me to answer your question: NO. Defense does not exist in New Orleans.

As for Brees... clearly there is some reluctance to open up the offense and let him really test the shoulder. They are not taking any chances with him. Dump offs, underneath routes, screen passes... these are all designed to keep him out of harm's way. Wisely.

Unfortunately for Drew... that lack of Defense is going to hurt him more than any blitzing defender will. Reggie will bail him out a lot, but those guys are going to be backed up more often than Toniu Fonoti on a weekend buffet tour. :icon_eek:

Its fun I suppose to keep arguing about the qb position.

But as everyone saw against the bears what really matters is how well the o-line does. Rivers is as good or better than brees. But if he doesn't get o-line protection he's going to have trouble. Same as brees had when the o-line wasn't helping..

Electric Chair

Brees still has major accuracy issues and I don't think that NO got a first down until about halfway through the second quarter.

NO sucks big time. Anyone that thinks that team will make the Playoffs isn't watching the same team that I am.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
foober said:
Its fun I suppose to keep arguing about the qb position.

But as everyone saw against the bears what really matters is how well the o-line does. Rivers is as good or better than brees. But if he doesn't get o-line protection he's going to have trouble. Same as brees had when the o-line wasn't helping..
Did you read the posts here? Who is arguing QBs?:icon_huh:

thejdog said:
BTW - keep in mind the FO wanted DB back as a starter, just not at the $$ he was after. Did not help that they essentially gave PR his money up front.
this is why the NFL needs a NBA type slotting system, its very lame to have such huge contracts withoutt a single play

Shamrock

thejdog said:
BTW - keep in mind the FO wanted DB back as a starter, just not at the $$ he was after. Did not help that they essentially gave PR his money up front.
I don't know if they wanted DB back as a starter or not. From the way he's looked in preseason, his arm isn't where it was before, and he never had a cannon.

PR signed only after SD moved more of the money to the front of the contract. That is what broke the ice to get him into camp.

There is no perfection in QB's. When people glowingly look back on Fouts, they forget that he threw a TON of INT's in the postseason.

DB getting biitch slapped is his own doing, with the lies and whiney way he crawled out of San Diego.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
eldwin said:
Hmmm, if you were going by the eyeball test, I'd say Jordan looks like he's put together a little better.

But I would say that McNeil is more athletic. He needs to step up in the run game, but I think that will come as he gets more comfortable with the playbook and blocking schemes.
Well he is by all reports impressing Shotty, which means he will get playing time. Be good to have a good rotation to keep them fresh.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
thejdog said:
geez....and to think I came over here to get away from Brees VS Rivers threads.

I am SHOCKED at the way some regard DB. I guess it's people looking for perfection but there is none in the NFL. Perhaps people forget about the dark days in SD the last 20 years where a good QB was nearly impossible to find. And Brees was a good QB and teammate.

Rivers will be fine, and while I'm not ready to appoint him the next great Charger QB I dig the guy and look forward to his maturization. No doubt dude has skills.

I am not sayin I hate Drew. I am just happy with Rivers so far, I think Drew is, was and will be a great QB. But unfortunately he isnt here anymore. Rivers is putting my fears to rest, I am very happy with that.

But Brees is still a good QB, and no hatin goin on here.:icon_banana:

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
AHEM!!! This thread is about Conc saying he was wrong about Rivers, not you guys bashing on the Breeser.

You may now return to your normal posting (if there is such a thing!).