Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
"I'm ready to coach the Jacksonville Jaguars," Meyer said in a statement. "Jacksonville has an enthusiastic fan base, and the fans deserve a winning team. With upcoming opportunities in the NFL Draft, and strong support from ownership, the Jaguars are well-positioned to become competitive. I've analyzed this decision from every angle but what really cemented it for me was comparing to ownership and support of Dean Spanos and the Spanos Family and THEIR Los Angeles fanbase- the time is right in Jacksonville, and the time is right for me to return to coaching. I'm excited about the future of this organization and our long term prospect for success."

(slight edit in italics)

Last edited:

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
How pathetic it must be that the jaguars job was more promising than the chargers job. laughable.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
How pathetic it must be that the jaguars job was more promising than the chargers job. laughable.
As with Andy Reid and the Chiefs it wasn't solely about the roster/draft position/cap.....it probably was mostly about salary and most importantly ability to have some control of the draft/personnel decisions. No way Spanos will EVER tolerate an Andy Reid, Uban Meyer, Pete Carroll, etc. BTW when Pete Carroll came available out of USC chugs could have jumped in for the bidding and eaten norb's contract but failed to even consider it. aj smith and johnboy needed complete control. Now its johnboy and telescope. a spanos always has to have final say. Ridiculous. WTF do they even know about football?? Only some owners have had that experience like Jerrah but most delegate to real football people.

Reactions: Harryo the K

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
As with Andy Reid and the Chiefs it wasn't solely about the roster/draft position/cap.....it probably was mostly about salary and most importantly ability to have some control of the draft/personnel decisions. No way Spanos will EVER tolerate an Andy Reid, Uban Meyer, Pete Carroll, etc. BTW when Pete Carroll came available out of USC chugs could have jumped in for the bidding and eaten norb's contract but failed to even consider it. aj smith and johnboy needed complete control. Now its johnboy and telescope. a spanos always has to have final say. Ridiculous. WTF do they even know about football?? Only some owners have had that experience like Jerrah but most delegate to real football people.
The Spenis family knows nothing about football. And how pathetic is that after 37 years of ownership?

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
  • Haha
Reactions: handoverfist

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
You guys still hate A.J. Smith?* Chuggers found a way down.

(* But you did find the right thread.)

yeah amazing to contemplate that. As you know, EYE was one of the ones who consistently bashed smith right after 2006 when I found out what was going on with he and Marty. Many on that other forum were so content that smith had 'elevated' the bolts from the cesspool they were in for decades before , figuring his draft picks were way better than Beathards or Ortmeyer or the other crappy GM's prior. They never got the concept it matters little if you pull of some great trades and drafts like Gates, LT, Rivers for Eli, etc. What matters is if you are an asshole that no one can get along with, a control freak who only will get along with pussy coaches like norval and mcboy, etc. and render them neutered with no say in drafting. What also matters is if the damn guy can build a champion. I always remember assjack badmouthing Marty before he was fired, saying "he and I have a different philosophy on how to build a championship team". Uh ass jack what did you ever build????? And then the naysayers coming out with "be careful what you wish for" before aj and norb's firing, warning that aj would end up as a GM of the Raiders or other division opponent. LMAO...the only thing the guy could land was a figurehead consultant for Daniel Snyder :laugh: :roflmao:

Also I kept telling them assjack was never meant to be a GM. He inherited it when Butler died and unfortunately recommended him to spenis who didn't know any better. Assjacks true ability was as a head scout, that's it. When he had to handle all the other things a GM must do he failed. His scouting became diluted with all the other stuff and the scouting ended up in the hands of johnboy, his understudy. Typical of spanos to put people in positions they are not qualified for. Thus Fabiani. Thus norval and mcnorb and lynn. Thus assjack. his sons. Now telesco. And the next head coach. On and on. Dean Spanos has been and always will be clueless. Even his dad knew that....he almost smacked him upside the head during a meeting with Al Davis and the NFL way back. He is just a spoonfed guy who never built or achieved anything on his own in his life. When he doesn't get his way he pouts and storms off and takes his ball home, thus his inability to finesse a deal in SD with the business community or city council or legal groups.

Chug fans will always be content with improvement above the cesspool level. The bar is always very low. Spanos is never gonna win crap. Oh we always hoped maybe he'd change and some miracle would happen when he was in SD. How gullible of us;)

PS....I need to send this out to any prospective HC hires that might be tempted to speak with Deanis. lolz

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Oooh, do tell! What happened?
Here's an excerpt from a story about the life of Al Davis. There was a more detailed version that someone posted some time ago (?humbolt) regarding this. The detail left out was Dean was a dope and not paying attention at the time, either way Alex treated him as not exactly being business saavy. But Alex himself was a jerk. There are stories from Beathard and Henning etc etc re: Alex being almost impossible to work with, Beathard had a letter of resignation in because of Alex and Dean supposedly begged him to stay on the rest of the year. That whole family is dysfunctional re: football. Klein apparently hated Alex too and raised the price way up but to his suprise Alex met the price so he sold. Too bad for SD.

Paul Christopoulos called Davis and said, "Alex Spanos wants to go to the top of the mountain. He wants to meet you." Spanos arrived one day at the Raiders' headquarters, at the time in an industrial park in Oakland off Doolittle Avenue; he was accompanied by five staff members—they used to take a consensus vote on every project Spanos undertook. Davis informed him that the San Francisco 49ers were available for $17 million and baseball's Oakland A's could be had for about $10 million. Spanos and staff huddled on the spot and passed on both opportunities. However, he later acquired the San Diego Chargers from Gene Klein for a sum estimated to be between $75 and $80 million. "Alex and I always sat close to each other at league meetings," said Davis. "Once I came into the room, and his son, Dean, was there. I said to Alex, 'You know, you can get [$400 million] for your team now.' He turned around and went, whack, to Dean's head. 'Listen to Al,' the father said. ‘He knows what he's talking about.'" Dean took over the operating reins of the Chargers from his father.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
History will show the chargers should have sold the team last year at peak value - A NFL team in LA headed into a brand new stadium.

Reactions: Harryo the K

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Here's an excerpt from a story about the life of Al Davis. There was a more detailed version that someone posted some time ago (?humbolt) regarding this. The detail left out was Dean was a dope and not paying attention at the time, either way Alex treated him as not exactly being business saavy. But Alex himself was a jerk. There are stories from Beathard and Henning etc etc re: Alex being almost impossible to work with, Beathard had a letter of resignation in because of Alex and Dean supposedly begged him to stay on the rest of the year. That whole family is dysfunctional re: football. Klein apparently hated Alex too and raised the price way up but to his suprise Alex met the price so he sold. Too bad for SD.

Paul Christopoulos called Davis and said, "Alex Spanos wants to go to the top of the mountain. He wants to meet you." Spanos arrived one day at the Raiders' headquarters, at the time in an industrial park in Oakland off Doolittle Avenue; he was accompanied by five staff members—they used to take a consensus vote on every project Spanos undertook. Davis informed him that the San Francisco 49ers were available for $17 million and baseball's Oakland A's could be had for about $10 million. Spanos and staff huddled on the spot and passed on both opportunities. However, he later acquired the San Diego Chargers from Gene Klein for a sum estimated to be between $75 and $80 million. "Alex and I always sat close to each other at league meetings," said Davis. "Once I came into the room, and his son, Dean, was there. I said to Alex, 'You know, you can get [$400 million] for your team now.' He turned around and went, whack, to Dean's head. 'Listen to Al,' the father said. ‘He knows what he's talking about.'" Dean took over the operating reins of the Chargers from his father.
Thanks Gilly. The resignation tendered by Beathard was after the 93 season. The new free agent rules with salary cap was going into effect for the 94 season, but there was a salary cap waiver that allowed teams to sign their own players for any amount and they wouldn’t count against the cap. Beathard jumped to re-sign Anthony Miller, Burt Grossman, Marion Butts, maybe others I forget, but cheapskate old goat Spanos not only vetoed it but threw a hissy fit. So Beathard tendered his resignation, and Ross in a show of solidarity (that would soon collapse) was threatening to quit as well so the Spanos family got together and convinced Alex to “step down” (we know that didn’t really happen), install Dean as the new CEO (what a joke) and begged Beathard to stay, giving him complete autonomy. Beathard rescinded his resignation, then miraculously repaired the roster with guys like Ruben Davis, Tony Martin, Mark Seay, Dennis Gibson, David Griggs, and Stan Brock, all guys who helped them get to the Super Bowl that following season.

Reactions: Gill Man

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Then there’s this

FUdean

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
You know most coaches know that Telesco is not the GM decision maker,
the boys are.
Any strong coach knows that history of success. Can you recall any player that say Lynn,
told Telesco get his guy. Or I want x traded. Lynn wanted to go with his guy Taylor. That didn't mean much. Herbert is better talented, of course, but Lynn wanted it his way and the boys and Papa ticket gate said no like in a hundred other decisions. Just a pathetic franchise system.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
You know most coaches know that Telesco is not the GM decision maker,
the boys are.
Any strong coach knows that history of success. Can you recall any player that say Lynn,
told Telesco get his guy. Or I want x traded. Lynn wanted to go with his guy Taylor. That didn't mean much. Herbert is better talented, of course, but Lynn wanted it his way and the biys and Papa ticket gate said no like in a hundred other decisions. Just a pathetic franchise system.
That was always my biggest gripe with the chug front office. It was ALWAYS the GM way high up on the priority (along with johnboy) and the HC was almost an afterthough. IIRC there was a draft and norb was not in the war room or never said anything, someone reported that from thelocal media. It shocked the hell out of me. How in the hell do you build a champion when the HC is the guy who is installing his system and knows what is required to implement that system. And the DC's and OC's need a lot of input to the HC on that as well. I just always got the impression, ever since Marty was shitcanned, that the HC could not have any say or conflict with the GM/johnboy/spanos. If they did it was the GM who would always call the final shot. HC candidates worth a grain of salt would NEVER put up with that. Thus they have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for coaches each time they make a change. Word travels fast in the NFL.

I remember folks wanting Cowher. LMAO. He was a good friend of Marty. No way in hell he would EVER have worked for the spanii after what they did to Marty.

Reactions: Faded Blues

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I remember folks wanting Cowher. LMAO. He was a good friend of Marty. No way in hell he would EVER have worked for the spanii after what they did to Marty.
There are some people that think the Chugs should pursue Brian Schottenheimer. LMFAO, he’d probably flip them the double bird if they asked to interview him.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
And the media heads keep on saying that the chargers job is best one.

lol.
yeah they say that every time. blah blah blah about the roster. They don't get it about the front office.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So word is the chugs have their sights set on Bills OC Brian Daboll. Came out of the Bellichek tree. Coached up Josh Allen so would could help Hervert. But the real kicker is he is FRIENDS ( think yes man) with Testescope. They went to the same HS. How many coaches from the Bellichek tree have become successful HC's where they actually won something???? Coordinators yeah but HC's? How many have failed? As always the spanii don't understand that a coordinator might not make a very good HC. The only 2 successful HC's they ever had were ALREADY prior HC's......Schotty and Ross. Make that 3, Coryell. And NONE of those 3 were 'yes men'. The prior HC's that were yes men were all failures. And the one that's in the dictionary under "YES MAN e.g." is Norval Turner. Why not add another?

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
So word is the chugs have their sights set on Bills OC Brian Daboll. Came out of the Bellichek tree. Coached up Josh Allen so would could help Hervert. But the real kicker is he is FRIENDS ( think yes man) with Testescope. They went to the same HS. How many coaches from the Bellichek tree have become successful HC's where they actually won something???? Coordinators yeah but HC's? How many have failed? As always the spanii don't understand that a coordinator might not make a very good HC. The only 2 successful HC's they ever had were ALREADY prior HC's......Schotty and Ross. Make that 3, Coryell. And NONE of those 3 were 'yes men'. The prior HC's that were yes men were all failures. And the one that's in the dictionary under "YES MAN e.g." is Norval Turner. Why not add another?
He sucked per fans at OC in Miami and Dallas. Great as OC with Allen.....how will he improve Herbert if Lynn got him all those offensive records? Another “yes” man. If a coach takes a job with a demand list, he is a yes-man coach. Lynn was praised as a OC coordinator, too.
As OC in Buffalo..2016....team was ranked 10th. Don't buy the Herbert sell Los Angeles.
Go to the beach.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
He sucked per fans at OC in Miami and Dallas. Great as OC with Allen.....how will he improve Herbert if Lynn got him all those offensive records? Another “yes” man. If a coach takes a job with a demand list, he is a yes-man coach. Lynn was praised as a OC coordinator, too.
As OC in Buffalo..2016....team was ranked 10th. Don't buy the Herbert sell Los Angeles.
Go to the beach.
lolz.....remember when mccoy was the guy they targeted and totally overlooked some very fine alternatives? I think one was Reid in that year. Well turns out mccoy was touted as a great OC and the spanii were blown away by his interview. Ron Wolfe hinted to them Andy Reid was the best of the bunch and it was his worst mistake when he was in GB to not make Andy Reid a HC. Spanii and testescope ignored that advice and took mccoy. Mccoy was a loser .....it was Peyton Manning and John Fox who made him look good. Likely the same damn thing here. some never learn. We KNOW the spanii are still making the same incompetent blunders after 35 years of having the chance to learn from their mistakes. lolz. Stubborn is as stubborn does. I'm sure though that dabby will have a very good interview and impress the spanii ;) :tup:

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Nothing new here. But it does point to how the current owners and their spawn have made their franchise a black hole for head coaches since Marty left.

Reactions: Faded Blues

FiftyFive

Dean Spanos is a traitor!
Nov 14, 2017
Daboll's playcalling has been awful in the playoffs. The Bills made NFL playoff history last night by not calling a single run play in the first quarter. They ran the ball twice in the entire first half. They kept letting the Ravens hang around by killing drives with ill-advised deep passes into the wind on 3rd and manageable. The one drive they actually committed to running the ball was the touchdown drive (which Daboll learned nothing from and immediately went back to what didn't work for the rest of the game). At one point, he played for the field goal with a rookie kicker into the wind - which instantly gave me flashbacks to the Jets playoff game in 2005 when Marty played for the field goal with a rookie kicker in the rain.

Against the Colts, Daboll kept calling a bunch of designed runs for Allen that didn't work - they're lucky he didn't get injured on one of those.

As far as I can tell, he gets way too much credit for Allen's improvement as a player. The truth is that Allen himself took the initiative in the offseason to break down his throwing mechanics and fix what wasn't working. Daboll has had one good year on paper as an offensive coordinator all because of that. Outside of this season, his offenses have never even ranked in the top 15 in yards or points per game in the NFL. Even at Alabama, with their stacked teams full of the best recruits, their offense went from 15th in points per game with Daboll in 2017 to 3rd in points per game with Mike Locksley in 2018.

Needless to say, there's a reason why the better-run franchises had no interest in this guy. Once again, the Deanos are hiring another yes-man with an unimpressive resume who's just happy to have a job.

Last edited: