• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Great Quotes Thread

Don't just post good quotes here, post great ones.

Here are two great quotes to start this thread off.

"Free societies are societies in motion, and with motion comes tension, disent, friction. Free people strike sparks, and those sparks are the best evidence of freedom's existence."
Salmon Rushdie

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."
Salmon Rushdie

WonderSlug

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestioned ability of a man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.

-- Henry David Thoreau

WonderSlug

Life is thickly sown with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to pass quickly through them. The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us.

-- Voltaire

WonderSlug

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius-and a lot of courage-to move in the opposite direction.

-- Albert Einstein

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, 1795

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
Hubert Horatio Humphrey (U.S. Vice President 1965–69)

"Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."

- Lady Nancy Astor, to Winston Churchill

"Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it."

- Winston Chuchill, in reply