Goodell's First News Conference

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

mapcap55

BoltTalker
Aug 21, 2006
New NFL commissioner Roger Goodell yesterday held his first news conference since succeeding Paul Tagliabue last Friday. Speaking to media members at Giants Stadium after visiting with the Giants at the start of practice, these were some of the issues Goodell addressed:

...The collective-bargaining agreement: Goodell hopes the league and union can firm up the recent CBA agreement before November 2008, when either side can opt to reopen negotiations.

Wiring helmets: Quarterbacks are the only players who are allowed to wear communication devices now, but the league is considering letting other players sport listening devices to help cut down on crowd-induced false start penalties.

"Don't get me wrong, I love the 12th man. But keeping the game moving without so many penalties is also very important," Goodell said.

Expansion: Goodell doesn't envision the league growing beyond its current 32 teams for the foreseeable future -- with one possible exception. He has been the point man on trying to get a team in Los Angeles and didn't rule out expansion as the way to do it....

...Bryant Gumbel: The play-by-play man for the NFL Network is staying on, despite his comments recently on HBO's "Real Sports." Gumbel described Upshaw as being attached to a "leash" held by Tagliabue, causing a minor stir. Goodell said he spoke to Gumbel recently about the remarks.

"We had a good discussion. I feel comfortable and he'll stay on."
Full Article Here

He doesn't see the league expanding but wants a team in L.A....

There is only one way to do that...