Goodbye Philip Rivers thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
A fantastic touchdown pass. An ill-advised end zone interception.

If this was the last time Philip Rivers, whose contract expires at the end of the season, plays an NFL game in a Chargers uniform he went out playing the same way he always has: slinging the ball all over the place, for better or for worse.

For the majority of his career it's been for better. On Sunday, at Arrowhead Stadium against a division champion, Rivers didn't have enough to overcome a severe talent discrepancy in a 31-21 loss to the Chiefs.

In the 2nd quarter Rivers threw a dart to Keenan Allen for a 12-yard TD to put the Chargers up 7-3. At the age of 38 it was the kind of throw not may quarterbacks can make, fitting it into a tight window in the corner of the end zone.

But in the same quarter Philip tried to force one into double coverage to Mike Williams in the end zone and it was picked off by Tyrann Mathieu. At the age of 38 it was the kind of throw not many quarterbacks should make, especially when already in field goal range on the road in a 3-point game.

In between those drives Kansas City's dynamic QB gave the Chiefs the lead. Patrick Mahomes threw a laser to Demarcus Robinson for a 24-yard score to help Chiefs to a 10-7 halftime lead.
Kansas City tried to let the Bolts back in it after the break. Mahomes and Tyreek Hill weren't on the same page, Hill going inside while Mahomes threw it outside, and the pass hit cornerback Michael Davis right between the numbers. Davis returned it 17 yards to the K.C. 21-yard line and three plays later Melvin Gordon ran in from the 5-yard-line for a 14-10 lead.

Then, as so often happens to the Chargers, the wheels flew off. Mecole Hardman returned the kickoff 104 yards for a score and a 17-14 lead. After a punt the Bolts defense put on a pathetic display of alleged tackling attempts. Damien Williams, a graduate of Mira Mesa High School in San Diego, took a pitch and broke a series of tackles on his way to an 84-yard TD run that ran the lead to 24-14.

Two plays. Two touchdowns. 188 yards covered. With the lack of talent around him Rivers couldn't overcome the 10-point deficit. Wide receiver Andre Patton was open and had a ball hit him right in the hands. If he catches it he scores a long TD. It bounced right off his fingers, another missed opportunity in a lost season.
Philip did end up throwing an 8-yard TD pass to Hunter Henry to make it a 24-21 game with 5:23 to play. But the Chargers defense couldn't give Rivers a chance to win it late.

On 3rd and 8 Mahomes hit Tyreek Hill for a 47-yard gain into Bolts territory. Hill, arguably the fastest player in the NFL, was being guarded by rookie linebacker Drue Tranquill. Credit the Notre Dame kid for the effort but there is no reason he should have ever been tasked with covering someone whose nickname is "Cheetah."

Williams scored again from the 7 to make it a 31-21 game. Then the game ended just about as fittingly as this season could have. Rivers tried to force a pass on 4th and 17 and it was intercepted by Daniel Sorensen.

At 5-11 the Chargers will be picking in the top-10 in the 2020 NFL Draft. It's looking like they'll be taking a quarterback in the 1st round for the first time since 2004, the year they grabbed Eli Manning and traded him for a package that included Rivers.

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
PR17 will be one of my favorite Chargers of all time.

I got to see him a bit out of football and he is a down to earth guy.

I hope if he goes somewhere else, he has success. If he closes his career with the Chargers, I hope the team give him the support he needs to go out on top.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I thought we already had a Phil appreciation thread
No appreciation here. But, if he is on another team next year, sign me back up as one of his fans. If he starts with the Spanoses, whatever happens to him is his own fault.

DFWBoltFan

Where am I?
Apr 19, 2011
PR17 will be one of my favorite Chargers of all time.

I got to see him a bit out of football and he is a down to earth guy.

I hope if he goes somewhere else, he has success. If he closes his career with the Chargers, I hope the team give him the support he needs to go out on top.
Agree with you 100%, Conc.

I’ll support him wherever he goes, or if he stays with the Chargers. So many great memories, and I think he’s an awesome guy.

Reactions: Concudan

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Here's the stuff that got the guy in trouble too often.....he's a gamer but IMO too emotional to stay calm and collected in the clutch:

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-west/kansas-city-chiefs/video-shows-what-happened-between-philip-rivers-chris-jones

I did not watch the game so I'm not on terra firma re: this incident but it looks to me in these clips like PR is the aggressor. WTF man. Calm down. Other than that, I stood up for him always when that team was in SD.....but I ALWAYS had reservations about his demeanor on the field. I think this was his last game in a chugger uniform. Hope he goes elsewhere and thrives, but doubt it frankly. I think his window closed, despite what he says.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Here's the stuff that got the guy in trouble too often.....he's a gamer but IMO too emotional to stay calm and collected in the clutch:

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-west/kansas-city-chiefs/video-shows-what-happened-between-philip-rivers-chris-jones

I did not watch the game so I'm not on terra firma re: this incident but it looks to me in these clips like PR is the aggressor. WTF man. Calm down. Other than that, I stood up for him always when that team was in SD.....but I ALWAYS had reservations about his demeanor on the field. I think this was his last game in a chugger uniform. Hope he goes elsewhere and thrives, but doubt it frankly. I think his window closed, despite what he says.
It was the first play of the game. The Chief was borderline late and what cheesed off Rivers was the knee getting twisted underneath. But that punch looked pretty much like a pussy move. When they both got up the dude towered over Rivers, probably would’ve kicked Rivers ass. My take is this kind of thing happens all the time (the borderline late hit), it didn’t appear to me the Chief had any malicious attempt to injure.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
It was the first play of the game. The Chief was borderline late and what cheesed off Rivers was the knee getting twisted underneath. But that punch looked pretty much like a pussy move. When they both got up the dude towered over Rivers, probably would’ve kicked Rivers ass. My take is this kind of thing happens all the time (the borderline late hit), it didn’t appear to me the Chief had any malicious attempt to injure.
first play of the game? LOL. PR was raring to go at the bell looks like lolz. I think they maybe shoulda prescribed the guy some downers or a beta blocker before games lolz.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Speaking of Rivers, keep hearing chatter about him ending up with the Colts. Would make a lot of sense, actually, and playing in a dome at this stage of his career would only help. I have reservations about how much he has left, and the decision making coupled with the declining arm strength could be an issue anywhere he plays. But if Andrew Luck stays retired, Rivers might be worth a look there. I expect the Colts to be movers and shakers on the trade and free agency front, as well, looking to add more sizzle to the roster, though the draft remains their lifeblood …

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Speaking of Rivers, keep hearing chatter about him ending up with the Colts. . I expect the Colts to be movers and shakers on the trade and free agency front, as well, looking to add more sizzle to the roster, though the draft remains their lifeblood …

Yes. More Rasta sizzle, please.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Speaking of Rivers, keep hearing chatter about him ending up with the Colts. Would make a lot of sense, actually, and playing in a dome at this stage of his career would only help. I have reservations about how much he has left, and the decision making coupled with the declining arm strength could be an issue anywhere he plays. But if Andrew Luck stays retired, Rivers might be worth a look there. I expect the Colts to be movers and shakers on the trade and free agency front, as well, looking to add more sizzle to the roster, though the draft remains their lifeblood …

didn't think about the Colts but now that you mention it it makes some sense. Agree, I think Rivers is having a precipitous decline right now and he doesn't realize how bad it is. That odd push-throw motion of his has got to be taking it's toll on his arm strength. And he's making poor decisions again. Only way he survives is in a team with a really great pass blocking O line and that can run support him. If he can find a team with those features that is a QB and maybe a couple of players away from being a champion, go for it. I just don't think the guy can ever win the really huge games , particularly if he has to do it on his own. He'd have to have a Trent Dilfer kind of year......with a champion D as well. Just be a game manager.

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
Heard on the sports radio circuit that one of the beat writers for the Chargers looked in the locker room going into the off-season and Rivers' locker was completely cleaned out. It has never happened before in the 16 years Rivers has been there.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Rivers is the scapegoat for a shitty organization.

The oline sucked.

I can't wait to see the chuggers draft a no-name qb and declare him the heir apparent.

Rivers was the second best qb the organization ever had and was never meant to throw the ball 40+ a game.
Rivers wasted his career under the likes of norb, Mcnorb, and now Lynn....horrendous coaches IMO, every one of em. But the true blame for ALL of the underperformance over the years lies squarely on Dean Spanos and his 2 idiot sons who have no business trying to run an NFL franchise.