Good (hopeful) article on NHL expansion in San Diego

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

RamAirVA

Curse and Damn You Spanos!
Nov 12, 2007
Depends on the Week
Not buying this one. With the addition of Seattle, the NHL now has 32 teams, 16 in each conference, 8 in each division (Arizona will move from the Pacific to the Central in 2020). A relocation will be the more likely option and would most likely involve the Ottawa Senators, the Carolina Hurricanes or the Florida Panthers.

Now look at some of your prime open markets:

Quebec City: They have an NHL quality arena already there that seats 18,000 plus (Centre VideoTron) and a history. Reboot the Nordiques!
Hartford: Same thing, though the Hartford Civic Center would likely need upgrades to do this. The Whalers are still loved there even though they are now the Hurricanes. There were also recent rumors of a move back from Raleigh to Hartford, don't know the veracity of it at this point. No question of support though.
Houston: Rich minor-league history with the Aeros. Much bigger market, top notch facility (Toyota Center) already available.
San Antonio: See Houston, only smaller.
Toronto: That market can easily support a second team, and it has been talked about. Only problem is where do they play, with the Raptors and Leafs in Air Canada Centre?
Atlanta: Only mentioned due to market size and facility availability. They have already lost two teams (the Flames and the Thrashers/Jets), the NHL will not go back there unless some deep pocketed owner moves somebody, and even that might not get the approval votes necessary.

Reactions: Lance19

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
San Diego has shown that we are indeed a hockey town and heck we sure deserve an NHL team. But I don't see Anaheim and LA signing off an expansion team here.

RamAirVA

Curse and Damn You Spanos!
Nov 12, 2007
Depends on the Week
Not doubting the passion in SD for sure. But like Ray said, I don't see ANA or LA allowing even a re-lo, plus I doubt there is much appetite for any public financing of a new arena.

Now it Mr. Tsai wants to open up his wallet... :D

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Not doubting the passion in SD for sure. But like Ray said, I don't see ANA or LA allowing even a re-lo, plus I doubt there is much appetite for any public financing of a new arena.

Now it Mr. Tsai wants to open up his wallet... :D
Tsai wants a major franchise here. He owns the Nets and opted not to buy the new arena in Brooklyn, just the team. Let the speculation begin. But if he can make the arena happen and move the Nets here (two gigantic IFS) getting a hockey team to relocate becomes a possibility. And both the Kings and Ducks can be paid off.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
And lets not forget mr. tsai is also a minority nfl owner and loves San diego;)