• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gates: Winslow hasn't done enough to back up boasting

Boltjolt

Well-Known Member
#1
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-browns-chargers-winslow-gates&prov=ap&type=lgns

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer
November 2, 2006

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Chargers star tight end Antonio Gates doesn't care much for Kellen Winslow's boasting, which could make Sunday's home game with the Cleveland Browns much more interesting.

On Wednesday, Winslow hyped his matchup with Gates as "a heavyweight match. It's me versus Gates. I want to be the best tight end out there."

Winslow, whose 40 catches lead all tight ends, mentioned that Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez is behind him on the receptions list, followed by Gates.

"So I've got to stay on top," said Winslow, whose Hall of Fame father of the same name played for the Chargers from 1979-87.

Winslow was asked to clarify. Did he mean keep his lead in receptions?

"The best overall. I'm trying to be the best. I said I was the best. I am the best, and I'm going to prove it on Sunday," Winslow said.

Gates, who started in the last two Pro Bowls, wasn't amused.

"I just have a problem with a guy who disrespects guys who've done it over a decade like a Tony Gonzalez and those guys," Gates said after practice Thursday. "To put yourself in a situation where you feel like you're better than a guy who has basically been doing it since you were in high school, I just have a problem with him not embracing the game enough and respecting the guys who've proven themselves in the league."

Winslow is in his first full season. He broke his right leg in the second game of his rookie season of 2004, then missed all of last season after tearing up a knee in a motorcycle accident.

"For you to play in seven straight games and decide you're the best tight end in the league, I don't think that's appropriate to say," said Gates, a former basketball star at Kent State who joined the Chargers as an undrafted rookie in 2003.

"There are certain things that I will never let get to me. Obviously he's not a person I would be worried about. He hasn't played long enough."

Winslow has 40 receptions for 393 yards and three touchdowns. Gonzalez has 33 catches for 441 yards and a score, while Gates has 32 receptions, 384 yards and four touchdowns.

Gates' 89 catches last year tied Kellen Winslow's San Diego record for receptions by a tight end, and his 1,101 yards were the most for a Chargers tight end since Winslow had 1,172 in 1983. Gates led all tight ends last year in catches, yards and touchdowns (10).

In four seasons, Gates has 226 catches for 2,838 yards and 29 touchdowns.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#2
Boltjolt said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-browns-chargers-winslow-gates&prov=ap&type=lgns

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer
November 2, 2006

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Chargers star tight end Antonio Gates doesn't care much for Kellen Winslow's boasting, which could make Sunday's home game with the Cleveland Browns much more interesting.

On Wednesday, Winslow hyped his matchup with Gates as "a heavyweight match. It's me versus Gates. I want to be the best tight end out there."

Winslow, whose 40 catches lead all tight ends, mentioned that Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez is behind him on the receptions list, followed by Gates.

"So I've got to stay on top," said Winslow, whose Hall of Fame father of the same name played for the Chargers from 1979-87.

Winslow was asked to clarify. Did he mean keep his lead in receptions?

"The best overall. I'm trying to be the best. I said I was the best. I am the best, and I'm going to prove it on Sunday," Winslow said.

Gates, who started in the last two Pro Bowls, wasn't amused.

"I just have a problem with a guy who disrespects guys who've done it over a decade like a Tony Gonzalez and those guys," Gates said after practice Thursday. "To put yourself in a situation where you feel like you're better than a guy who has basically been doing it since you were in high school, I just have a problem with him not embracing the game enough and respecting the guys who've proven themselves in the league."

Winslow is in his first full season. He broke his right leg in the second game of his rookie season of 2004, then missed all of last season after tearing up a knee in a motorcycle accident.

"For you to play in seven straight games and decide you're the best tight end in the league, I don't think that's appropriate to say," said Gates, a former basketball star at Kent State who joined the Chargers as an undrafted rookie in 2003.

"There are certain things that I will never let get to me. Obviously he's not a person I would be worried about. He hasn't played long enough."

Winslow has 40 receptions for 393 yards and three touchdowns. Gonzalez has 33 catches for 441 yards and a score, while Gates has 32 receptions, 384 yards and four touchdowns.

Gates' 89 catches last year tied Kellen Winslow's San Diego record for receptions by a tight end, and his 1,101 yards were the most for a Chargers tight end since Winslow had 1,172 in 1983. Gates led all tight ends last year in catches, yards and touchdowns (10).

In four seasons, Gates has 226 catches for 2,838 yards and 29 touchdowns.
KWII is an assshole and has not done **** in the league.

I hope our defense cleats him in his privates and then sends his asss to the IR list for a ruptured labia. :tdown:
 
M

matilack

Guest
#7
I think its time for K Dub Sr. to have a little chat with his dear son.
This kid needs to get whipped.
 
#8
matilack said:
I think its time for K Dub Sr. to have a little chat with his dear son.
This kid needs to get whipped.
He hasn't set him straight yet, so why do you think he would do anything now? Da fukn solja is the chosen one. How do you think he got that attitude?

Remeber the apple and the tree.

I hope someone rings him up. Godfrey needs to go Porter on his ***.
 
#10
KDubII can talk all he wants. The more he mouths off the larger the target on his chest grows. I guarantee you that the defense is using his mouth as motivation and the every player on our defense will be looking to stick him any time he gets his hands on the ball...
 

exodus

Well-Known Member
#11
O well, he's going to run his mout like this. BFD. You do realize that after we get done showing this child how to play we have to listen to the Ocho talk for another freakin week. These tools haven't done anything on the field to make a name for themselves so they go around declaring it in the media. Whatever.:tdown:
 
M

matilack

Guest
#12
Winslow made a mistake by opening his mouth, Gates is gonna tear it up again on Sunday.
Im calling 130yds and 2TD's for mr. Gates:icon_banana:
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#14
I think we need a fan bounty on KWII's assss.....

Everyone pitch in one dollar and donate it to the Bolt player who cleans this punks clock !!! :icon_mrgreen: :bolt:
 

rexy2006

Well-Known Member
#15
Trumpet_Man said:
I think we need a fan bounty on KWII's assss.....

Everyone pitch in one dollar and donate it to the Bolt player who cleans this punks clock !!! :icon_mrgreen: :bolt:
I throw in some green for a KWII Jihad.:yes:
 
#19
rexy2006 said:
Headline/caption on Monday morning:


PWNED!
What does PWNED mean?? I see it all the time but have no idea what it means. Haha This clown hasn't done enough period. He leads in receptions, not production, woopity do!:icon_tease:
 

Nomadic Bolt Fan

Well-Known Member
#20
bolts4life21 said:
What does PWNED mean?? I see it all the time but have no idea what it means. Haha This clown hasn't done enough period. He leads in receptions, not production, woopity do!:icon_tease:
It is l33t speak for owned.
 
#21
Boltjolt said:
By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer
November 2, 2006

Gates, who started in the last two Pro Bowls, wasn't amused.

"I just have a problem with a guy who disrespects guys who've done it over a decade like a Tony Gonzalez and those guys," Gates said after practice Thursday. "To put yourself in a situation where you feel like you're better than a guy who has basically been doing it since you were in high school, I just have a problem with him not embracing the game enough and respecting the guys who've proven themselves in the league."

Winslow has 40 receptions for 393 yards and three touchdowns. Gonzalez has 33 catches for 441 yards and a score, while Gates has 32 receptions, 384 yards and four touchdowns.
(/Quote)

Respect for the father Winslow , I have good memories, but the son
has to do his job well for some years before he call challenge Antonio GATES or Tony GONZALEZ. We'll see it today.
 

Top