Franimal :(

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Franimal and Logan Allen to the Indians. Padres get prospect Taylor Trammell.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Wow. One prospect, although a good one, in return for 2 prospects and Franimal. I'm not sure I like this although at least they committed to Renfroe finally and got that rumor out of the way. Hopefully Trammell bounces back from his current funk.....they are taking a risk. I guess they feel his ceiling is way up there. No risk no reward. Not sure I like giving up that many players though. That's the kind of trade 3/1 that you make for a really good vet pitcher etc. Preller rolls the dice.

Now just watch with our luck Reyes lights it up and becomes an All Star.....finds discipline at the plate and improves vastly in the field. Logan Allen becomes a star pitcher. Trammell is the next Myers. LOLZ.

Reactions: SDRay

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Wow. One prospect, although a good one, in return for 2 prospects and Franimal. I'm not sure I like this although at least they committed to Renfroe finally and got that rumor out of the way. Hopefully Trammell bounces back from his current funk.....they are taking a risk. I guess they feel his ceiling is way up there. No risk no reward. Not sure I like giving up that many players though. That's the kind of trade 3/1 that you make for a really good vet pitcher etc. Preller rolls the dice.

Now just watch with our luck Reyes lights it up and becomes an All Star.....finds discipline at the plate and improves vastly in the field. Logan Allen becomes a star pitcher. Trammell is the next Myers. LOLZ.
I absolutely hate this trade. I admit I love Franmil the person so it goes beyond the stats. He's 24 and this is his first full season and he's already way ahead of where Renfroe was at that point. I know he's a liability in the outfield but I can't believe they're giving up on him already. He's going to be a beast in the AL where he can play DH.

I'm going to get on the damn soapbox again but screw the MLB for not bringing the DH to the NL already. I don't understand why they continue to make different rules for both leagues. Makes zero sense.

Plus, I'm afraid this may destroy the team morale. Franmil was the heart and soul of the team.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Franmil will thrive in the AL which is where he belongs because he will never be even an adequate fielder. They lost some big intangibles, he not only was a fan favorite but he was also favored by the FO as it was crystal clear they gave RF to Franmil to lose, but lose it he did to Renfroe, who stepped up and took the OF spot.

This Trammell guy better be the next coming of Alan Trammell. They still have an OF logjam if you count Naylor and even Franchy, who won’t be back this year but should be back next year. I still don’t know why they couldn’t just wait until after the season. Myers better step up, they moved Reyes because they couldn’t move his ass.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I absolutely hate this trade. I admit I love Franmil the person so it goes beyond the stats. He's 24 and this is his first full season and he's already way ahead of where Renfroe was at that point. I know he's a liability in the outfield but I can't believe they're giving up on him already. He's going to be a beast in the AL where he can play DH.

I'm going to get on the damn soapbox again but screw the MLB for not bringing the DH to the NL already. I don't understand why they continue to make different rules for both leagues. Makes zero sense.

Plus, I'm afraid this may destroy the team morale. Franmil was the heart and soul of the team.
I’m starting to swing to your POV regarding the DH. With all the analytics, sabremetrics, and infield shifts, it isn’t the baseball I’ve been accustomed to (and loved); the DH would be the most normal change compared to the other things I’ve mentioned.

Franmil will hit 50 bombs as a DH.

Reactions: TTK

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I’m the contrarian of this trade.

I love it.

Tramell will be a star. A different star.

He will hit 300 be a lead off hitter and play golf glove defense.

Travis, Margot, and Frenchy are utility players.

We now have 2 plus defenders in the of.

The issue has always been lack of guys getting on base. This solves that.

Plus, this could be part of a piece of a bigger move.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Next year

Tramell
Tatis
Machado
Hosmer
Renfroe
Myers
Mejia who is hitting 287 since break
2b

Now we are getting somewhere.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Franmil will thrive in the AL which is where he belongs because he will never be even an adequate fielder. They lost some big intangibles, he not only was a fan favorite but he was also favored by the FO as it was crystal clear they gave RF to Franmil to lose, but lose it he did to Renfroe, who stepped up and took the OF spot.

This Trammell guy better be the next coming of Alan Trammell. They still have an OF logjam if you count Naylor and even Franchy, who won’t be back this year but should be back next year. I still don’t know why they couldn’t just wait until after the season. Myers better step up, they moved Reyes because they couldn’t move his ass.
Yup I see 2 major problems with this trade. It's a HUGE gamble. First they give up a huge chemistry guy in Reyes, as stated above he's the heart and soul of the team, his teamates love the guy and he's a huge bat for our team. Second, they gave up too many bargaining chips they could have used in the offseason to acquire what we need by far the most.....a killer starting pitcher. Agree, if this Trammel guy isn't a perennial AllStar they made a huge mistake.....he better damn well hit 280-290 and be a gold glover and be able to produce runs. Preller must think that is very likely to happen, but the guy is being given up on because he's in a funk this year. What makes Preller think he's not the next Wil Myers? Huge gamble. Probably was not necessary. Starting to wonder about the front office now. I'm glad they decided to keep Renfroe, but that certainly did not necessarily require this type of trade. Reyes is going to be a DH star in the AL.....wow, another guy who we'll sit there and watch be a headliner who got away. And yeah, Fender, DH probably should be over in the NL given the sabremetrics and how they've screwed around with tradition so the game isn't the same anyways. Reyes would have been kept if we'd have had the DH here. And he's perfect for that. A great power hitter gone just like that. Damn. And a great locker room presence that was unique....you don't go trading guys like that unless you have a sure bet coming in and it sounds like this Trammel is not there yet. Maybe he becomes the next great OF on this team but it's a big leap of faith to assume that. I'm not liking Preller for this trade.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Ok after venting in my last post I'm gonna take the devil's advocate point of view re: Reyes. Maybe between Preller, Green and Washington the batting coach they decided Reyes was a great power long ball guy but that is the extent of his ability and he likely will not achieve anything more because maybe they've been instructing him in plate discipline and he's not caught on one bit. The guy was not clutch like Renfroe and he often struggled in the pitch count and swung wildly at stuff he should have taken. Maybe they saw no future for the guy as a run producer other than the huge long ball and felt he'd struggle perennially to achieve a batting average that would put this team in the stratosphere of the disciplined high average Dodger lineup. PLUS there is no question he was and likely always will be a crappy fielder....not gonna fly in the NL. But still I hate losing the chemistry guy. Gotta have those too and a lot of the other players are not cheerleaders....they just go punch in the clock and punch out. Gonna miss Franimal for that the most.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The more I think about this trade the more I hate it. They just traded away a fan favorite. Isn't that what the Padres always do?

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Agree its a good trade for us. Reyes is a great guy with a great personality but limited defensively. Renfroe, has taken it to the next level this season both at the plate and as a fielder. Trammell hopefully will be our CF of the near future.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
There is speculation that Trammell is a piece that might be parlayed over to the Mets to get Thor. That I could get behind. As the trade stands now I think we gave up too much. I think Franmil could’ve garnered more from an AL team in the offseason. Trammell is having a down year in Double A, hope it’s a temporary thing.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
There is speculation that Trammell is a piece that might be parlayed over to the Mets to get Thor. That I could get behind. As the trade stands now I think we gave up too much. I think Franmil could’ve garnered more from an AL team in the offseason. Trammell is having a down year in Double A, hope it’s a temporary thing.
If that's the case why not just wait til the offseason for Thor, as you state re: Franmil? Giving up those 3 prospects for 1 and the one they are getting is currently in a major slump, highly questionable IMO. If Trammell disappoints Preller probably should be on the hot seat for this one. Will wait and see but if this turns our lopsided against us I think Preller needs to be held accountable.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
If that's the case why not just wait til the offseason for Thor, as you state re: Franmil? Giving up those 3 prospects for 1 and the one they are getting is currently in a major slump, highly questionable IMO. If Trammell disappoints Preller probably should be on the hot seat for this one. Will wait and see but if this turns our lopsided against us I think Preller needs to be held accountable.
Well it looks like this was the deal. Acee tweeted that this was the “best offer on the table”. Actually, the best offer was to just wait until the offseason. Well what’s done is done. I hope Trammell works out like Tatis and Paddack did.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Well it looks like this was the deal. Acee tweeted that this was the “best offer on the table”. Actually, the best offer was to just wait until the offseason. Well what’s done is done. I hope Trammell works out like Tatis and Paddack did.
If Trammel is on the same level as Tatis or Paddack it was a great deal. What are the odds of that? I gotta go check out his pre slump hype and what CLE was so high on him for. That's the deal though.....ALL these guys are just that ....PROSPECTS....they haven't really proven anything at the majors until they've proven they are either the real deal and match the hype in the minors or they fall somewhere short. Some eventually match the hype,,,just take time. Others never do and some fall flat right off the bat. Giving up 3 for 1 is risky and Preller better be damn sure Trammel is all that before giving up that many bargaining chips and potential 'lava'. We'll see soon enough if this is the right move. I hope Trammel is all that...we really do need a guy who can field like all get out and who can hit for average and is smart at the plate. That is right up there with starting pitching and increased bullpen depth. Dodgers have both of those in spades so we gotta start somewhere to match them.....hopefully Trammel is one of those missing pieces of the puzzle. In reality Franimal is meant to be a DH in the AL. Logan Allen looked lost. Maybe he develops with more time. Not sure about the 3rd guy we gave up on.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
From MLB.com. They ranked Trammell as the number 1 prospect traded at the deadline, but they labeled him as a “corner outfielder”.

“1. Taylor Trammell, OF, Padres, No. 30 overall (from Reds in three-team trade with Indians involving Trevor Bauer, Yasiel Puig)
The Reds’ top-ranked prospect at the time of trade, Trammell has seen his production slip this year in Double-A, batting .236 with a .686 OPS, 17 extra-base hits (6 HR) and 17 steals in 94 games. However, there’s still a lot to like with regards to the 21-year-old’s ceiling as a corner outfielder who projects to hit for average as well as some power, with the ability to add value on the basepaths with his well-above-average speed. He gives the Padres yet another ultra-talented prospect in what is already an impressively deep farm system.”

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Just hope they let him develop like Tatis.

Give him a sept call up with winter ball mixed in and the spring to earn a starting job. He has potential to be another Tatis.

Now we prey for Myers to turn it around. Clearly no one wants his bloated contract even if we include Yates.

My guess next years of is Meyers in right, renfroe in cf and trammel in right.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
If Myers and trammel develop into 280 hitters we have a top tier lineup.

Just would need Urias to turn it around.

I could live with hedges terrible bat then.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

Give him a sept call up with winter ball mixed in and the spring to earn a starting job. He has potential to be another Tatis.

Now we prey for Myers to turn it around. Clearly no one wants his bloated contract even if we include Yates.

If they’re keeping Myers he’s gonna play CF, not Renfroe.

I really don’t get the acquisition of Trammell if he can’t play CF.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
If this guy doesn't turn out to be a damn good player and elite it was a bad deal. And yeah agree, I thought it was to acquire a bigtime CF prospect....we gave up power and the soul of the team for a better average (although the guy is only batting .230 this year in the minors....WTF). Apparently he's a better fielder and faster.
If he turns out to be the hype they gave him when drafted great, otherwise we got taken.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007

I hope you're right but Trammel is being projected to be playing regularly in 2021. Unless they do some offseason moves and get another OF then it's another year of Margot, Myers and Renfroe. And if they do make a move next year, then what was the point of dumping franmil for some minor league prospect now?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I hope you're right but Trammel is being projected to be playing regularly in 2021. Unless they do some offseason moves and get another OF then it's another year of Margot, Myers and Renfroe. And if they do make a move next year, then what was the point of dumping franmil for some minor league prospect now?
I feel like having Franmil play out the season, potentially hitting 35-40 HRs, they could’ve traded him for a lot more. This almost seems like there’s some behind the scenes shenanigans we’re not fully seeing.