For the Andy Green haters

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
There may be hope?

"I was listening to the 1360 sports talk today, and they had a very insightful discussion. They had said that for this season, Ron Fowler had actual expectations of winning atleast 80 games- as Ron was on record actually saying this before the season started. And based on this expectation, Andy is now on the hot seat. They had said they heard a different tone from Andy after the recent Orioles loss, that Andy had actually admitted doubt and frustration in himself and in his voice, concerning sticking with Strahm and not making a different bullpen decision. The radio hosts speculated that the FO is pressuring Andy and stating to him that the team must perform.

One of the most interesting parts, they brought up how Aj Preller brought up publicly after the Trammell trade that the padres expect to still make a run for the wild card THIS season. They concluded that this is setting expectations and that by publicly stating that Preller expects a wild card run, that this holds Andy to standard and that if he doesn’t reach this standard then a managing change needs to be made. They had said that Seidler is also not happy with the team’s performance after the all star break, being 7 games under .500 after starting .500. The radio hosts had suggested that if the Padres get swept by dodgers this weekend, that Andy could even be fired after the series. In my opinion, I’m not sure they would do a firing mid season, but interesting thoughts nonetheless about the thinking of the FO."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Padres/comments/ckzutx

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Music to my ears. Now get Bruce Bochy back and make the universe right again.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
yeah they are abysmal since the all star break that's for sure. Good to hear the FO is getting impatient with the progress and is holding Green's feet to the fire.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Music to my ears. Now get Bruce Bochy back and make the universe right again.
I'd love Boch back.....maybe the game has passed him by but he's a motivator and teacher and a young team could use that experience and his credibility re: ability to win a championship, at least in the past. Green never won anything, wasn't even a major league manager. Maybe he will be a good one someday but right now the FO is correct in holding him accountable for what happens the rest of the way. 80 wins or out...I like it. They greatly disappointed the fanbase by trading their favorite player La Mole. That could at least be in part compensated by bringing back the Boch. Do it for the fans.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I'd love Boch back.....maybe the game has passed him by but he's a motivator and teacher and a young team could use that experience and his credibility re: ability to win a championship, at least in the past. Green never won anything, wasn't even a major league manager. Maybe he will be a good one someday but right now the FO is correct in holding him accountable for what happens the rest of the way. 80 wins or out...I like it. They greatly disappointed the fanbase by trading their favorite player La Mole. That could at least be in part compensated by bringing back the Boch. Do it for the fans.
The game hasn’t passed Bochy by. Everyone was ready to bury him and look at the Giants now.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The game hasn’t passed Bochy by. Everyone was ready to bury him and look at the Giants now.
Agree,,,,,,,,some are saying that I think because of his age and years as a manager.......I think he is leaving there because he's not thrilled with the FO hires SF has made. Bet he would love to come back here.

Reactions: Fender57

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Agree,,,,,,,,some are saying that I think because of his age and years as a manager.......I think he is leaving there because he's not thrilled with the FO hires SF has made. Bet he would love to come back here.
Boch is a lifelong padre.

I would fire green mid-season to get a head start on the process.

Waiting til after the season just causes a log jam with the other 9 managers who will get the axe.

Green has costs about 5 games with how he has managed the bullpen.

I could go on.

Essentially, I always felt green was a place holder until this team had talent.

I would give bochy the keys to the city.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Waiting til after the season just causes a log jam with the other 9 managers who will get the axe.

I could go on.

Well, if as suggested in the original post it's possible the FO might even fire Green if the Pads get swept in this series, maybe we should be Dodger fans the next 3 games LOLZ.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

I could go on.

If they fire Green they’d definitely replace him with bench coach Rod Barajas, who I think would be a huge step up from Green but would be an impediment from getting Boch after the season.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
We went into the All Star break at an even .500 and with alot of promise, just having won 3 of 4 at Chavez Ravine. We ended up going 8-16 in the month of July and basically fell out of contention, even for the Wild Card. We now sit 7 games under .500 and Bud Black must be wondering if Andy Green has some compromising pictures of AJ Preller or something, as he was fired in 2015 while failing to win with a less talented roster than Green is currently mismanaging.

In 4 seasons as Padres Manager, Andy Green is 256-339 for about a .429 average and before tonite's win, the ballclub had gone 5-13 since the All Star break, which is the same postseason record that got Marty Schottenheimer fired, just sayin!

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
We went into the All Star break at an even .500 and with alot of promise, just having won 3 of 4 at Chavez Ravine. We ended up going 8-16 in the month of July and basically fell out of contention, even for the Wild Card. We now sit 7 games under .500 and Bud Black must be wondering if Andy Green has some compromising pictures of AJ Preller or something, as he was fired in 2015 while failing to win with a less talented roster than Green is currently mismanaging.

In 4 seasons as Padres Manager, Andy Green is 256-339 for about a .429 average and before tonite's win, the ballclub had gone 5-13 since the All Star break, which is the same postseason record that got Marty Schottenheimer fired, just sayin!View attachment 6796
Now they might gain a split in this series as Paddack is yet to pitch. Just when we need to tank Myers decodes to eff it all up and come to life. He is showing signs of not handling pressure psychologically, ie when all have given up on him and there is nothing left of the season, he performs as expected. You make excellent points re the facts of greens record. It’s like ajsmith and Norbert.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I’m reading Girardi wants to manage the Mets or Cubs, with some rumors linking him to Philly. Nothing about San Diego.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Girardi is a NY or Chicago guy....lives in NY with his wife. Furthest west he's ever been is Denver. LOL. Our man is Boch.....a west coast guy if there ever was one.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Girardi is a NY or Chicago guy....lives in NY with his wife. Furthest west he's ever been is Denver. LOL. Our man is Boch.....a west coast guy if there ever was one.
it was on the radio. They were saying joe was linked to the padres. No idea about sources.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I also read the Giants was a rumor as well to replace Bochy. They can have Girardi, we’ll take Boch.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007

Green: The Padres have given this guy ample time to develop in the job. He’s finishing his fourth season, and for various reasons, is currently 85 games under .500. This season after the Padres spent $300 million over 10 years to sign Manny Machado it was supposed to be different. It isn’t. According to sources close to the team, he’s lost the clubhouse. He has two years to go on a three-year contract extension. No matter. Time to move on.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Green: The Padres have given this guy ample time to develop in the job. He’s finishing his fourth season, and for various reasons, is currently 85 games under .500. This season after the Padres spent $300 million over 10 years to sign Manny Machado it was supposed to be different. It isn’t. According to sources close to the team, he’s lost the clubhouse. He has two years to go on a three-year contract extension. No matter. Time to move on.
hard to disagree with that.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
it was on the radio. They were saying joe was linked to the padres. No idea about sources.
thanks, who knows what goes on behind the scenes? We'll find out soon enuff I guess.