Football

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
So, Los Angeles Chargers fans: how is your team going to do anything other than suck this year?

The way I see it, the o line, even if it stays healthy, still is too inadequate to produce a winner.

Sure, as long as Allen is healthy at wide receiver, Rivers can unload the ball before the pass rush knocks him down. But one can't possibly believe Keenan's health will last long. He has only made it through one season, and that was his first.

I read some talk about a great pass rush, but it isn't like that is different from last year. Bosa played last year. So did J. Brown. So did Ingram. The D still was erratic at best. What is going to make it better this year? Losing Pagano? I think that dude did a great job of covering up the fact the D has had giant holes all over. For a while, the only decent D player the team had was Weddle, and even he wasn't a star. Now the team has Bosa, and I assume they have that Packer corner and that Raider linebacker who did well as Chargers last year. (Sorry I'm having a brain fart and can't remember names.) The team has who at safety? Who is the fourth-string middle linebacker? You know that guy will be the team's leading tackler the last half of the season. And they will have a healthy Verrett for a couple halves of games maybe.

Will having a run-oriented coach change the team to more of a running team? If so, how will the injury-prone backs last the season?

Anyway, I want to read your thoughts. You know more about the team right now than I do.

Concudan

Life is really simple, but we make it difficult
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
The D looks good on the front line. Bosa and Ingram have an opportunity to be a special tandem on the defensive front. The Linebackers are good, not great, but able to contain. Verrette and others in the secondary can be sneaky good. Give them pressure from the front to help them, and the secondary has an opportunity to really impact the games this season.

The O looks like it could be a remake of the greatest show on turf with Rivers, an improved OL and his WRs. Benjamin, Allen and others. At this point it seems like they have a ton of weapons.

This of course is as much speculation at this point as is the speculation that they can only suck.

Murphys Law

Oct 10, 2016
I think you saw the plan for how they won't suck on full display yesterday during 1st quarter. The offensive unit is one of the best units they have rolled out in years. Sure much of this depends on the team staying healthy but that is no different than any other NFL team. Look what happened to the Raiders last year rolling into the playoffs? The Chargers have depth at the skill positions and the o-line while not ideal yet is improved from last year and should provide enough protection and push in the run game to make the bolts led by Rivers one of the higher scoring teams in the league. On the defense we still have a good front 4 with solid LB's, I suspect we will be better against the run this year. DB wise again, this group look talented at the corners and if there is one area to show concern its still at safety for me. Overall though I see this D being in a top 15 spot and you combine that with the offense and they have a shot at actually doing more than just competing in the AFC West.

Now by your comment of "So, Los Angeles Chargers fans: how is your team going to do anything other than suck this year?" and your forum name I can only think you are an SD fan that hasn't gotten over the fact that the team moved. It's done, time to move on...

Savage Lizard

FORMER Charger fan at 7000'
Jul 12, 2007
Big Bear Lake, CA
www.savagelizard.com
Now by your comment of "So, Los Angeles Chargers fans: how is your team going to do anything other than suck this year?" and your forum name I can only think you are an SD fan that hasn't gotten over the fact that the team moved. It's done, time to move on...
Yeah, just snap your fingers and pretend like you didn't spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours supporting that team for several decades, only to have the owner take a sh it on you. Yeah, just move on.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

SDRaiderH8er

Apr 27, 2006
Get over it? Can I get my Ex wife back because she told me I loved the Chargers more than I loved her. Get over it, can I get those THOUSANDS of hours back where I watched the game instead of giving my family the quality time my EX wanted. Get over it, I was a season ticket holder for 32 years how about all those thousands and thousands of dollars I spent on tickets, programs,shirts, jerseys, jackets, pants,shoes, hats,beanies,posters, bumper stickers, glasses, mugs, coffee cups, flags, foam fingers, and other assorted paraphernalia. Can I get my voice back because all those years of yelling at the games and coming home horse my voice has a gravel pitch to it. Get over it, I think not, I will hate those pathetic bastards till the day I die.

Reactions: Ordane and TTK

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The D looks good on the front line. Bosa and Ingram have an opportunity to be a special tandem on the defensive front. The Linebackers are good, not great, but able to contain. Verrette and others in the secondary can be sneaky good. Give them pressure from the front to help them, and the secondary has an opportunity to really impact the games this season.

The O looks like it could be a remake of the greatest show on turf with Rivers, an improved OL and his WRs. Benjamin, Allen and others. At this point it seems like they have a ton of weapons.

This of course is as much speculation at this point as is the speculation that they can only suck.
I think my speculation is based on recent history. I left Verrett out of the equation because he hasn't proven he can stay healthy.
The Greatest Show on Earth? I thought the new coach was about the running game. If you want to shoot for the moon, I would think you would be looking at an Al Davis type offense. Run a lot, have a possession receiver, and, when the D gets aggressive, throw deep. That would require an O line filled with Hall of Famers, and I don't see any of those guys on the team.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I think you saw the plan for how they won't suck on full display yesterday during 1st quarter. The offensive unit is one of the best units they have rolled out in years. Sure much of this depends on the team staying healthy but that is no different than any other NFL team. Look what happened to the Raiders last year rolling into the playoffs? The Chargers have depth at the skill positions and the o-line while not ideal yet is improved from last year and should provide enough protection and push in the run game to make the bolts led by Rivers one of the higher scoring teams in the league. On the defense we still have a good front 4 with solid LB's, I suspect we will be better against the run this year. DB wise again, this group look talented at the corners and if there is one area to show concern its still at safety for me. Overall though I see this D being in a top 15 spot and you combine that with the offense and they have a shot at actually doing more than just competing in the AFC West.

I am glad you posted. I hope you stick around. We need more fans of the bad guys to add some excitement to the forum.

I didn't see the game you referenced because I don't watch the NFL anymore.
How is the O line improved from last year? How is the D improved from last year?
Comparing the L.A. Chargers' need to stay healthy to that of any other team in the league isn't anything I would do. L.A. is, by far, the most injury-prone team in the league. Other than Rivers, does the team have one star who is likely to make it through the season? Look at recent history.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Get over it? Can I get my Ex wife back because she told me I loved the Chargers more than I loved her. Get over it, can I get those THOUSANDS of hours back where I watched the game instead of giving my family the quality time my EX wanted. Get over it, I was a season ticket holder for 32 years how about all those thousands and thousands of dollars I spent on tickets, programs,shirts, jerseys, jackets, pants,shoes, hats,beanies,posters, bumper stickers, glasses, mugs, coffee cups, flags, foam fingers, and other assorted paraphernalia. Can I get my voice back because all those years of yelling at the games and coming home horse my voice has a gravel pitch to it. Get over it, I think not, I will hate those pathetic bastards till the day I die.
Wow. You are way past me. My hate isn't quite so real. Sorry about your loss.

Kwak

May 25, 2006
I will wait to have an opinion until after the 1st game and the ESPN highlights. Probably see more highlights/coverage in 1 day now that they are the LA Chargers, the league will want to show them more, then we used to get in a whole season in SD when the league didn't give a shit.

Pre-season, it's just practice...

SDRaiderH8er

Apr 27, 2006
I will wait to have an opinion until after the 1st game and the ESPN highlights. Probably see more highlights/coverage in 1 day now that they are the LA Chargers, the league will want to show them more, then we used to get in a whole season in SD when the league didn't give a ****.

Pre-season, it's just practice...
When ESPN pulled Robert Lee off of announcing the Virginia game because of his name, I haven't turned that Network on since. I haven't watched 10 minutes of NFL football this season. So far I have watched 3 high school games 3 Pop Warner games and I am waiting for the College season to start.

Murphys Law

Oct 10, 2016
I am glad you posted. I hope you stick around. We need more fans of the bad guys to add some excitement to the forum.

I didn't see the game you referenced because I don't watch the NFL anymore.
How is the O line improved from last year? How is the D improved from last year?
Comparing the L.A. Chargers' need to stay healthy to that of any other team in the league isn't anything I would do. L.A. is, by far, the most injury-prone team in the league. Other than Rivers, does the team have one star who is likely to make it through the season? Look at recent history.
LOL... fans of the bad guys. :) Just as a way of back story... born in Alpine, my grandfather had the Charger team sign a pennant for my birth. I now live in No. Cal. but I am still very much a Charger fan. Obviously I don't have the city/team connection like many do. I just am a fan of the organization / team... if they should ever change and not be the Chargers that might be a different story for me but keeping the name to me was important because it does preserve a history of the franchise and allows it to continue. Anyway...

As to the team:
Well, getting out of preseason relatively healthy is I think a big factor on the current optimistic look from me. The O-line for 1st team reps has looked decent. The one major injury we had with Forest Lamp while a blow isn't tanking the 1st team so far. Are they they drastically improved? No, but I do see improved play from the ones and that is a really good sign. Depth on the Oline though again is a bit shakey but if we can get a couple of versitile back ups out of the current grouping then if we have to plug in a player short term here or there we may be able to weather any knicks along the way. The 1st team D is going to be solid from corner to D line. Safety is the Achilles still. Tre Boston I hoped was the answer to Lowry but he just lacks good tackle skills. Addae still plays a bit too reckless for my taste and I don't really know who could fill that spot right now.

Looking at the AFC West its easy to see how this team will compete. Every team boasts issues and none have across the board talent to run away with the title this year. Oakland while looking good on offense is very suspect on D, KC just lost their #1 RB and look like the Offense that managed to not throw a TD to a WR for the season again. Denver still has the great D but their QB situation will keep them from ever running away with a game offensively. So I look at the competition, I look at the Bolts and I see reasons to be optimistic and the road to a team that will not suck. :tup:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
LOL... fans of the bad guys. :) Just as a way of back story... born in Alpine, my grandfather had the Charger team sign a pennant for my birth. I now live in No. Cal. but I am still very much a Charger fan. Obviously I don't have the city/team connection like many do. I just am a fan of the organization / team... if they should ever change and not be the Chargers that might be a different story for me but keeping the name to me was important because it does preserve a history of the franchise and allows it to continue. Anyway...

As to the team:
Well, getting out of preseason relatively healthy is I think a big factor on the current optimistic look from me. The O-line for 1st team reps has looked decent. The one major injury we had with Forest Lamp while a blow isn't tanking the 1st team so far. Are they they drastically improved? No, but I do see improved play from the ones and that is a really good sign. Depth on the Oline though again is a bit shakey but if we can get a couple of versitile back ups out of the current grouping then if we have to plug in a player short term here or there we may be able to weather any knicks along the way. The 1st team D is going to be solid from corner to D line. Safety is the Achilles still. Tre Boston I hoped was the answer to Lowry but he just lacks good tackle skills. Addae still plays a bit too reckless for my taste and I don't really know who could fill that spot right now.

Looking at the AFC West its easy to see how this team will compete. Every team boasts issues and none have across the board talent to run away with the title this year. Oakland while looking good on offense is very suspect on D, KC just lost their #1 RB and look like the Offense that managed to not throw a TD to a WR for the season again. Denver still has the great D but their QB situation will keep them from ever running away with a game offensively. So I look at the competition, I look at the Bolts and I see reasons to be optimistic and the road to a team that will not suck. :tup:
Bosa is a one-man D line. I don't think much of the rest of the line, but Bosa, by himself, is better than a lot of NFL D lines. At linebacker, I liked how that Raider dude played at the end of the season, and Brown was the man until he did what I expect he will do this season - go out early with injuries.
The rest of the linebackers have a lot to prove. I am thinking Ingram will be on the line this year - he will disappoint. I know he has nice stats, but he hasn't impressed me when I have watched. He isn't a good tackler, which, unless one is Neon Deion, is a huge part of playing defense.
Corner? Not horrendous last year. Who will fill in at nickle and starter once Verrett is out?
Is the new D coach going to be as good as Pagano was at covering up holes? Not many teams have strong defenses without at least one half-way decent safety.

Last edited:

Murphys Law

Oct 10, 2016
Corner? Not horrendous last year. Who will fill in at nickle and starter once Verrett is out?
Is the new D coach going to as Pagano was at covering up holes? Not many teams have strong defenses without at least one half-way decent safety.
Well, Desmond King seems to be legit and will be the nickel corner from all I can see. If either starting corner should go down he would be likely stepping into that role. Coming into the season I really thought Trevor Williams was going to be the guy that took that job but he has been spotty all preseason and I am not sure at this point he makes the cut. 49er game is going to be critical for a number of DB's and LB's. As for Gus Bradley covering up holes like Pagano... well I think the starting team for Bradley is in a better place than last years so to start with at least they aren't going to need to cover too many holes. I wasn't a Pagano fan so I have my bias on his ability to cover up holes, etc. Speaking of safeties, I hear rumors that Denver is shopping TJ Ward. I am not saying we could broker that deal ....we wont ... but I think that would be a massive mistake on Denvers part to trade him away. He is one of their anchors and a team leader on the D. That would be equivalent to us letting Weddle go... a mistake.

Whooki Mane

BoltTalker
Oct 23, 2011
So, Los Angeles Chargers fans: how is your team going to do anything other than suck this year?

The way I see it, the o line, even if it stays healthy, still is too inadequate to produce a winner.

Sure, as long as Allen is healthy at wide receiver, Rivers can unload the ball before the pass rush knocks him down. But one can't possibly believe Keenan's health will last long. He has only made it through one season, and that was his first.

I read some talk about a great pass rush, but it isn't like that is different from last year. Bosa played last year. So did J. Brown. So did Ingram. The D still was erratic at best. What is going to make it better this year? Losing Pagano? I think that dude did a great job of covering up the fact the D has had giant holes all over. For a while, the only decent D player the team had was Weddle, and even he wasn't a star. Now the team has Bosa, and I assume they have that Packer corner and that Raider linebacker who did well as Chargers last year. (Sorry I'm having a brain fart and can't remember names.) The team has who at safety? Who is the fourth-string middle linebacker? You know that guy will be the team's leading tackler the last half of the season. And they will have a healthy Verrett for a couple halves of games maybe.

Will having a run-oriented coach change the team to more of a running team? If so, how will the injury-prone backs last the season?

Anyway, I want to read your thoughts. You know more about the team right now than I do.
Ahhh lets take a stab at this big heartbroken post Whooki Mane.

So the team will most likely not suck this year and you know that so lets just move on from that. The o line is the weak part of the team no doubt but they aren't so bad that it cant be overcome to be a winning team. Uhm, idk if you have noticed by keenan allen, tyrell Williams, travis Benjamin, mike Williams and dontrelle inman 1 to 5 might be deepest wr core in league and then throw in hunter henry and Antonio gates im sure rivers weapons will give him plenty to work with regardless of allen's health.

Uhm yeah that talk you read about a great pass rush was referring to Melvin ingram and joey bosa one of the top pass rushing duos in the nfl..

Last year the defense was erratic at best? they finished the year 16 in total defense without verrett (a shutdown corner) and bosa (a premier pass rusher) not on the field or on the field in a limited capacity for half the season. Not sure if you noticed but down the stretch of last year the defense was pretty solid so now throw a shutdown cb into that unit and they figure to be pretty good. Also, Gus Bradley is a better dc than pagano so lets throw that in as well

Don't really even need an answer to that last question, ken wisenhunt is still the OC and in charge of the offense its gonna be the same offense we have been running you are just ignorant to the situation here. Lynn might bring a few run concepts he likes to the team so how is that gonna effect the rb health situation? lol wat a reach...

Chargers have like the third hardest schedule this year and vegas has there win total over under set at 8. So yes they must be sooooooo awful this year the team sucks!!!!!!!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Well, Desmond King seems to be legit and will be the nickel corner from all I can see. If either starting corner should go down he would be likely stepping into that role. Coming into the season I really thought Trevor Williams was going to be the guy that took that job but he has been spotty all preseason and I am not sure at this point he makes the cut. 49er game is going to be critical for a number of DB's and LB's. As for Gus Bradley covering up holes like Pagano... well I think the starting team for Bradley is in a better place than last years so to start with at least they aren't going to need to cover too many holes. I wasn't a Pagano fan so I have my bias on his ability to cover up holes, etc. Speaking of safeties, I hear rumors that Denver is shopping TJ Ward. I am not saying we could broker that deal ....we wont ... but I think that would be a massive mistake on Denvers part to trade him away. He is one of their anchors and a team leader on the D. That would be equivalent to us letting Weddle go... a mistake.
1. The worst part of your post is that you quoted what I wrote. There was another pretty stupid writing error on my part that I had to go correct. Now, on to the fun stuff ...

2. I had to look up Desmond King. He's a 5th-round rookie. A 5th-round rookie isn't an ideal choice for starter. And, if he's already your nickle guy (which is a virtual starter position), and will be the full-time starter once Verrett makes his annual trip to the IR, good luck (or, actually, bad luck) with that.

3. I kind of remember Trevor Williams last year filling in. I was stoned out of my mind and barely paying attention for most of last season. My memory of him contributes nothing to this conversation, so I'll take your word for it that he's a scrub. Once Verrett is out, does that mean this dude is the new nickle back? Will you have Casey Hayward, a 5th-round rookie, a scrub (if he makes the cut), and two crappy safeties as your starting secondary? If so, the team is even worse than I was thinking.

4. I was on my own island in my Pagano fandom. I just remember when the D had Weddle and nobody else on defense for a few years. The D was never good under Pagano, but at least it wasn't as wretched as it should have been. I figured that was Pagano's doing, but I could have been wrong. You are right that the D has improved over the past couple years. Bosa is a big deal. And Hayward, at least for last year, was a good player. Ingram has started to stay mostly healthy the past few years. I'm not that big of a fan of him, but at least he is a worthy starter. I can't say the same for the rest of the D. (Okay, yea, I get that Verrett is really good when he is healthy, but the dude is generally not healthy.)

5. I agree letting Weddle go was a mistake. He wasn't that good anymore, but he was worlds better than anybody who has tried to replace him.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

So the team will most likely not suck this year and you know that so lets just move on from that. The o line is the weak part of the team no doubt but they aren't so bad that it cant be overcome to be a winning team. Uhm, idk if you have noticed by keenan allen, tyrell Williams, travis Benjamin, mike Williams and dontrelle inman 1 to 5 might be deepest wr core in league and then throw in hunter henry and Antonio gates im sure rivers weapons will give him plenty to work with regardless of allen's health.

Uhm yeah that talk you read about a great pass rush was referring to Melvin ingram and joey bosa one of the top pass rushing duos in the nfl..

Last year the defense was erratic at best? they finished the year 16 in total defense without verrett (a shutdown corner) and bosa (a premier pass rusher) not on the field or on the field in a limited capacity for half the season. Not sure if you noticed but down the stretch of last year the defense was pretty solid so now throw a shutdown cb into that unit and they figure to be pretty good. Also, Gus Bradley is a better dc than pagano so lets throw that in as well

Don't really even need an answer to that last question, ken wisenhunt is still the OC and in charge of the offense its gonna be the same offense we have been running you are just ignorant to the situation here. Lynn might bring a few run concepts he likes to the team so how is that gonna effect the rb health situation? lol wat a reach...

Chargers have like the third hardest schedule this year and vegas has there win total over under set at 8. So yes they must be sooooooo awful this year the team sucks!!!!!!!
1. The team has won nine games total in two years. So, no, I don't know that the team will "most likely not suck this year."

2. Teams with weak O'lines don't win very often. And, by "teams with weak O'lines," I mean the Los Angeles Chargers.

3. Keenan Allen has played in nine games over the past two seasons. He can't be counted on as part of any kind of depth.

4. Tyrell Williams looked good last year, and that amounted to five wins.

5. Travis Benjamin is good once he has the ball. His problem is he needs time to get open, and the O'line isn't going to give him that time.

6. Looking at Mike Williams's injury history, I'm guessing he won't make much of a difference.

7. My girlfriend just arrived. I will finish this later.

Reactions: LABoltFan

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

Ok. Continuing on ...

The defense was without Verrett. Yes - that's my point regarding Verrett. He doesn't play full seasons. I am not adding him to the equation as if he's going to do anything more than he did last year, when the team finished 5-11.

Melvin Ingram was on the team last year. Put up nice stats in losses. Missed a lot of tackles.

Bosa is a god - I am not arguing that point. If he can stay healthy and play a full season, that would improve the team, but I don't think the extra minutes for him will make a 5-11 team do more than suck.

Okay. I'm super high now. And, no, I didn't pay much attention to the end of last season, when nothing really mattered anymore. Was the D good? I'll take your word for it. The team still lost their last five games.

I'm going to try to look up this Gus Bradley dude. Hopefully I can make sense of anything right now.

Oh, crap. This dude was the Jaguars coach? I remember when we played this team twice. They were the only times our offense looked good for entire games. The Jags let Rivers pick them apart by not sending enough pressure. It was as if the Jags' coach didn't know who the Chargers were. Did he own a TV?

Okay. He was the Seahawks D coach when that team got really good, so maybe he is more of a coordinator and not really a game planner. Of course, he had a bunch of good players with the Squawks. We'll see how he does with only three (maybe four if Toomer can play as well as last year) worthy starters on defense. I take that back. I won't see, but you will. I'll just see the scores.

Glad to hear that, because Whis is staying, the offense won't change. Please keep it the same.

Last edited:

Whooki Mane

BoltTalker
Oct 23, 2011
Ok. Continuing on ...

The defense was without Verrett. Yes - that's my point regarding Verrett. He doesn't play full seasons. I am not adding him to the equation as if he's going to do anything more than he did last year, when the team finished 5-11.

Melvin Ingram was on the team last year. Put up nice stats in losses. Missed a lot of tackles.

Bosa is a god - I am not arguing that point. If he can stay healthy and play a full season, that would improve the team, but I don't think the extra minutes for him will make a 5-11 team do more than suck.

Okay. I'm super high now. And, no, I didn't pay much attention to the end of last season, when nothing really mattered anymore. Was the D good? I'll take your word for it. The team still lost their last five games.

I'm going to try to look up this Gus Bradley dude. Hopefully I can make sense of anything right now.

Oh, crap. This dude was the Jaguars coach? I remember when we played this team twice. They were the only times our offense looked good for entire games. The Jags let Rivers pick them apart by not sending enough pressure. It was as if the Jags' coach didn't know who the Chargers were. Did he own a TV?

Okay. He was the Seahawks D coach when that team got really good, so maybe he is more of a coordinator and not really a game planner. Of course, he had a bunch of good players with the Squawks. We'll see how he does with only three (maybe four if Toomer can play as well as last year) worthy starters on defense. I take that back. I won't see, but you will. I'll just see the scores.

Glad to hear that, because Whis is staying, the offense won't change. Please keep it the same.
So essentially ur assuming everything that can go wrong will go wrong and basing your opinion on that. Everyone that was ever hurt in the past will once again be hurt and miss majority of this yr as well according to you. The chargers have had bad luck with a lot of injuries and sure you can say 9 wins last 2 years but any1 that knows anything about football knows this team was better than their record indicated last yr. they beat the falcons at home and lost like 4-5 games they should have won... why is vegas setting the over under at 8 games then? why isn't eveyr1 on earth taking the under and putting vegas out of business? O yeah that's right because some people don't have bias clouding their judgment because the team broke their heart n left town

You are craping on a DC who wasn't a good head coach so that means he cant coach defense? DUMBEST TAKE OF THEM ALL. Wade Philips and Rex Ryan.....

Reactions: LABoltFan

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
So essentially ur assuming everything that can go wrong will go wrong and basing your opinion on that. Everyone that was ever hurt in the past will once again be hurt and miss majority of this yr as well according to you. The chargers have had bad luck with a lot of injuries and sure you can say 9 wins last 2 years but any1 that knows anything about football knows this team was better than their record indicated last yr. they beat the falcons at home and lost like 4-5 games they should have won... why is vegas setting the over under at 8 games then? why isn't eveyr1 on earth taking the under and putting vegas out of business? O yeah that's right because some people don't have bias clouding their judgment because the team broke their heart n left town

You are craping on a DC who wasn't a good head coach so that means he cant coach defense? DUMBEST TAKE OF THEM ALL. Wade Philips and Rex Ryan.....
1. I'm basing my prediction on the only thing we have to go on - recent history. I'm assuming Verrett and Allen will miss significant time and/or be severely limited due to injury because, with the exception of Allen's rookie year, that has been the case for both players every year of their career. Why would I think this year would somehow be different?

2. The Chargers weren't better than their record indicated last year. Yea, they had a great comeback against the Falcons. They also lost to the Browns. They also lost 10 other times.

3. The Chargers didn't lose any games they should have won. They deserved to lose every game they lost.

4. Is Vegas's 8-8 prediction and some attempts at insults really all you got? Last year, the over/under was 7. The team won 5. In 2015, the over/under was 8. The team won 4. You can do better than this, Whooki Mane. I believe in you.

Last edited:

LABoltFan

Bunker Transplant
Jun 4, 2008
I'm glad you are a realist and know all the stuff about how your team sucks is true.

I'm too old to be lying about having a girlfriend.
Hey we're 0-0 right now so technically we only POTENTIALLY suck. Let's not jump the gun here. I want you all to able to savor the suckage because the alternative would be having to see them win in LA. But I mean it's not like fate has ever tortured or broken the hearts of San Diego sports fans in the past so what are the odds of that. :ninja:

Whooki Mane

BoltTalker
Oct 23, 2011
1. I'm basing my prediction on the only thing we have to go on - recent history. I'm assuming Verrett and Allen will miss significant time and/or be severely limited due to injury because, with the exception of Allen's rookie year, that has been the case for both players every year of their career. Why would I think this year would somehow be different?

2. The Chargers weren't better than their record indicated last year. Yea, they had a great comeback against the Falcons. They also lost to the Browns. They also lost 10 other times.

3. The Chargers didn't lose any games they should have won. They deserved to lose every game they lost.

4. Is Vegas's 8-8 prediction and some attempts at insults really all you got? Last year, the over/under was 7. The team won 5. In 2015, the over/under was 8. The team won 4. You can do better than this, Whooki Mane. I believe in you.
It just boils down to 1 of 2 things being true. You either are clueless when it comes to football or your bias against chargers doesnt allow you to look at them objectively. The chargers were obviously better than their record indicated last year I don't think that is so much an opinion as it is a fact. They had unbelievable meltdown after unbelievable meltdown which is why McCoy is gone. And your final point is the reason McCoy is gone as well. Noone is denying the team has underachieved the last 2 years which is why McCoy is gone, there is more talent on the roster than the records of the past 2 years would indicate. So lets just jump to your prediction, 3-4 wins because team is soo bad? lol

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
It just boils down to 1 of 2 things being true. You either are clueless when it comes to football or your bias against chargers doesnt allow you to look at them objectively. The chargers were obviously better than their record indicated last year I don't think that is so much an opinion as it is a fact. They had unbelievable meltdown after unbelievable meltdown which is why McCoy is gone. And your final point is the reason McCoy is gone as well. Noone is denying the team has underachieved the last 2 years which is why McCoy is gone, there is more talent on the roster than the records of the past 2 years would indicate. So lets just jump to your prediction, 3-4 wins because team is soo bad? lol
McCoy's teams won 28 games, including a playoff game, in the NFL over four seasons. Here is a trip down "more talent on the roster" memory lane. I'm just going to name the guys who, based on my memory, started the most over that timespan, or, in some cases, name a few starters or none at all because it isn't worth trying to remember who played the most. (I'm sure my memory has a few errors.)

Quarterback - Philip Rivers - Hall of Fame worthy
Runningback - Melvin Gordon - wretched for one season, very good the next
Wide Receiver - Keenan Allen - Great in 13. Mediocre in 14 due to playing hurt. Played half a season in 15. Played one game last year.
Wide Receiver 2 - Malcom Floyd - Played 2 games in 13 and was at least a worthy starter his final 2 years.
Wide Receiver 3 - Uh. I don't know. Inman or Royal, maybe? Does it matter? Rivers always made whoever it was look good.
Tight End - Antonio Gates - Hall of Famer back in his heyday. McCoy got old man Gates, who has still been a very good starter.
Left tackle - King Dunlap - Terrific when he played in 2013, but he missed 5 games. In 14, he was mediocre and either a below-average starter or not playing his final two years.
Right tackle - DJ Fluker - Other than the shining moment when he body slammed a Raider, he was a very well-meaning bum.
Left guard - Orlando Franklin - God awful
Right guard - A rotating circle of turds: Troutman, Fluker, Rinehart?
Center - Oh my fucking heinous barfmonkey

On defense, I'm calling the most common formation as: 2,4,5

Defensive end/tackle - Corey Liuget - below-average, and very inconsistent starter - He has good moments and many more bad ones.
Defensive end - Kendall Reyes - horrible; I'll give you Bosa for most of a season though. His greatness is obvious. We'll see if he can stay healthy when put out there full time.
Outside linebacker - Melvin Ingram - Hardly played for two seasons. The last two seasons, he's had pretty good stats, but I can't remember any of those sacks or QB hits making a difference in the outcomes of games. The L.A. Chargers fans on this Web site seem to think he's part of the greatest pass-rushing duo in the NFL. If that's true, it's like how the Gwynn brothers were the best hitting Padres brothers ever. I still don't like Ingram's tackling. But I'll give you this one and say he was some kind of All Pro for McCoy.
The other outside linebacker - Another rotating circle of farts
Two inside linebackers - Other than Toomer for half of last season or maybe the few games Perryman has played, this has been yet another rotating circle of dog breath. Toomer looked good for that half a season. Perryman is half a linebacker. He is a scary tackler, but dude can't cover anybody and has a hard time staying healthy. Te'o was a scrub who couldn't stay healthy, and Butler didn't even try.
The three cornerback positions - It seems that, at any given time, the team has one good corner, one loser, and one absolute scrub. Verrett has been great for a couple games per year. Hayward was good all of last year. Flowers had his moments. It's rare that we had two of those guys playing healthy (yea, they played together sometimes, but one was always mangled and not very good because of it.) And there was a time for McCoy before Verrett that the team had zero cornerbacks who belonged in the NFL.
One safety position - Old man Weddle. He was a good starter for McCoy for one year. After that, thanks to the Spanoses or their front office, he quit. After Weddle left, the team has been a disaster back there.
The other safety position - Oh my fucking heinous barfroach

Over the majority of the four years, can we really have expected a coach to do better than one playoff win when ten of 22 starting roles were filled by a horrible football player, a God awful football player, an absolute scrub, two quitters, some rotating circles of turds and farts, a barfmonkey, and a barfroach?

To me, that team, for a four-year period, was mostly Rivers and a pile of shit. I'd like to see your analysis of what McCoy had to work with.

Last edited:

Whooki Mane

BoltTalker
Oct 23, 2011
McCoy's teams won 28 games, including a playoff game, in the NFL over four seasons. Here is a trip down "more talent on the roster" memory lane. I'm just going to name the guys who, based on my memory, started the most over that timespan, or, in some cases, name a few starters or none at all because it isn't worth trying to remember who played the most. (I'm sure my memory has a few errors.)

Quarterback - Philip Rivers - Hall of Fame worthy
Runningback - Melvin Gordon - wretched for one season, very good the next
Wide Receiver - Keenan Allen - Great in 13. Mediocre in 14 due to playing hurt. Played half a season in 15. Played one game last year.
Wide Receiver 2 - Malcom Floyd - Played 2 games in 13 and was at least a worthy starter his final 2 years.
Wide Receiver 3 - Uh. I don't know. Inman or Royal, maybe? Does it matter? Rivers always made whoever it was look good.
Tight End - Antonio Gates - Hall of Famer back in his heyday. McCoy got old man Gates, who has still been a very good starter.
Left tackle - King Dunlap - Terrific when he played in 2013, but he missed 5 games. In 14, he was mediocre and either a below-average starter or not playing his final two years.
Right tackle - DJ Fluker - Other than the shining moment when he body slammed a Raider, he was a very well-meaning bum.
Left guard - Orlando Franklin - God awful
Right guard - A rotating circle of turds: Troutman, Fluker, Rinehart?
Center - Oh my ******* heinous barfmonkey

On defense, I'm calling the most common formation as: 2,4,5

Defensive end/tackle - Corey Liuget - below-average, and very inconsistent starter - He has good moments and many more bad ones.
Defensive end - Kendall Reyes - horrible; I'll give you Bosa for most of a season though. His greatness is obvious. We'll see if he can stay healthy when put out there full time.
Outside linebacker - Melvin Ingram - Hardly played for two seasons. The last two seasons, he's had pretty good stats, but I can't remember any of those sacks or QB hits making a difference in the outcomes of games. The L.A. Chargers fans on this Web site seem to think he's part of the greatest pass-rushing duo in the NFL. If that's true, it's like how the Gwynn brothers were the best hitting Padres brothers ever. I still don't like Ingram's tackling. But I'll give you this one and say he was some kind of All Pro for McCoy.
The other outside linebacker - Another rotating circle of farts
Two inside linebackers - Other than Toomer for half of last season or maybe the few games Perryman has played, this has been yet another rotating circle of dog breath. Toomer looked good for that half a season. Perryman is half a linebacker. He is a scary tackler, but dude can't cover anybody and has a hard time staying healthy. Te'o was a scrub who couldn't stay healthy, and Butler didn't even try.
The three cornerback positions - It seems that, at any given time, the team has one good corner, one loser, and one absolute scrub. Verrett has been great for a couple games per year. Hayward was good all of last year. Flowers had his moments. It's rare that we had two of those guys playing healthy (yea, they played together sometimes, but one was always mangled and not very good because of it.) And there was a time for McCoy before Verrett that the team had zero cornerbacks who belonged in the NFL.
One safety position - Old man Weddle. He was a good starter for McCoy for one year. After that, thanks to the Spanoses or their front office, he quit. After Weddle left, the team has been a disaster back there.
The other safety position - Oh my ******* heinous barfroach

Over the majority of the four years, can we really have expected a coach to do better than one playoff win when ten of 22 starting roles were filled by a horrible football player, a God awful football player, an absolute scrub, two quitters, some rotating circles of turds and farts, a barfmonkey, and a barfroach?

To me, that team, for a four-year period, was mostly Rivers and a pile of ****. I'd like to see your analysis of what McCoy had to work with.
Don't care to go through ur position by position analysis of the players over the years because you don't know anything about football so your opinion on that isn't valid. But yeah McCoy could have been expected to do better with the teams he has had. Sure, his first year the team did well and over time idk what happened just seemed like the guys didn't like playing for him and his get too conservative too soon style. This cost us game after game after game where the gameplan would work brilliantly and we would build a lead then go way too conservative way too soon and wind up losing the game. The players can only do so much when they are being handcuffed by their headcoach who was a pu$$y in every sense of the word when it came to his coaching style. McCoy didn't have the stones to keep his foot on the gas pedal and it cost us way too many games to count over the years. So over the majority of the 4 years could we have really expected the coach to do better? yes we could have. He had a borderline hall of fame qb to work with and there are at least 7 (bosa,ingram,verrett,hayward,henry,keenan,melvin) other guys on the roster that are pro bowl caliber players so couple that with a hall of fame qb there is NO EXCUSE to be picking in the top 10 in back to back years. Sure, injuries play a role and the team not executing or playing to their ability plays a role but the fact that you are gonna sit there and pretend that McCoy had nothing to work with is hilarious

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Don't care to go through ur position by position analysis of the players over the years because you don't know anything about football so your opinion on that isn't valid. But yeah McCoy could have been expected to do better with the teams he has had. Sure, his first year the team did well and over time idk what happened but his get too conservative too soon attitude cost us game after game after game where the gameplan would work brilliantly we would build a lead then go way too conservative way too soon and wind up losing the game. McCoy didn't have the stones to keep his foot on the gas pedal and it cost us way too many games to count over the years. So yes over the majority of the 4 years could we have really expected the coach to do better? yes we could have. He had a borderline hall of fame qb to work with and there are at least 7 other guys on the roster that are pro bowl type talents and players so couple that with a hall of fame qb there is NO EXCUSE to be picking in the top 10 in back to back years. Sure, injuries play a role and the team not executing or playing to their ability plays a role but the fact that you are gonna sit there and pretend that McCoy had nothing to work with is hilarious
Despite your continued attempt to fling insults for no some unstated reason, I still am trying to figure out where you think all this talent was.