Fisher: Volek lied to him

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Titans coach claims QB repeatedly asked for trade
Posted: Wednesday September 20, 2006 4:11PM; Updated: Wednesday September 20, 2006 4:20PM

Billy Volek told several reporters that he didn't know why he went from starter to third-stringer before the season.
AP

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Coach Jeff Fisher lashed out at critics of the Tennessee Titans' dealings with Billy Volek, saying Wednesday that Volek lied to him and never took advantage of the opportunity to be the starter.

The Titans finally traded Volek on Tuesday to the San Diego Chargers for a sixth-round draft pick that could become a fifth-rounder depending on playing time. Fisher said Volek asked to be traded the day the Titans signed Kerry Collins late last month.

"I never at anytime in my career have gone into such detail (about a trade). But I felt the responsibility, as Billy felt he was thrown under the bus," Fisher said. "Billy threw this organization under the bus, along with a number of his teammates."

Click the link for the full article.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/20/bc.fbn.titans.qbs.ap/index.html

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
there's two parts

1. Volek thought he would be the starter when McNair left and had been knowing the system for a while so really working harder wasn't needed
2. Fischer was in a bad situation, knew it, and needed a scapegoat

sdchrger

Dec 8, 2005
BFISA said:
He said, she said :no:
I'm not sure what Fisher means taken advantage of being the starter. From what I have seen, there seems to be a decided disadvantage to being the starting QB of the Titans.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
leisure said:
I saw Fischer on ESPN...man was he pizzed at Volek. He said Volek was a pain last year.....they worked it out in the off season (this is when Volek lied according to Fischer). Volek dogged it during offseason workouts after the drafting of Vince and then Volek threw a fit when Collins was signed and demanded to be traded......
Titans' Volek cost himself starting quarterback job

Just four days before their eminently winnable opener against the visiting Jets, the Titans still don't know -- or aren't saying -- who their starting quarterback will be. If the recently acquired Kerry Collins gets the nod over presumed starter Billy Volek despite having less than two weeks of familiarity with Tennessee's offense, there's only one real reason for the 11th-hour move: Volek was doing more presuming than practicing, perfecting and performing.

Simply put, Volek was handed the No. 1 job once Steve McNair left for Baltimore, but he didn't seize the opportunity. Tennessee sources say Volek has consistently overestimated his grasp on the starting job, believing he was further along in his development than he actually is. And even more telling, Volek is said to have shown little inclination to put in the long hours of work necessary to hone his craft, even after the Titans made Texas star Vince Young the third overall pick in this year's draft.

That's where Volek might have been negatively influenced by McNair, whom Volek caddied for the past six years. McNair never was one to wear his coaches out with overpreparation and always had an air of "I've got it, it's under control'' about him. He was generally among the last Titans to show up in the morning and one of the first to leave. But while that easy-does-it style worked for McNair, the only Oilers/Titans quarterback to take his team to the Super Bowl, Volek didn't seem to realize he hadn't earned the right to that kind of laid-back approach.

Click the link for the full article.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...lek/index.html

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
leisure said:
I saw Fischer on ESPN...man was he pizzed at Volek. He said Volek was a pain last year.....they worked it out in the off season (this is when Volek lied according to Fischer). Volek dogged it during offseason workouts after the drafting of Vince and then Volek threw a fit when Collins was signed and demanded to be traded......
Is old Doc Andrews involved or related?

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Volek happy to change sidelines
By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com
As Billy Volek stood on the sideline wearing a ball cap at Sunday’s Chargers-Titans game, a series of emotions stirred in him. He hurt for the team he gave his heart and soul to for six seasons, but at the same time began to get excited about what he might become a part of.

“It was a very interesting situation,” Volek said. “The Chargers are playing great ball right now and it’s crazy how things worked out. They’re bringing me in for some experience. Hopefully I can help out this team the best that I can. I think I bring a lot to the table.”

The Chargers acquired Volek from Tennessee Tuesday in exchange for a 2007 sixth-round draft choice. The draft choice could become a fifth-round choice if Volek participates in 50% of the team’s total offensive plays in ‘06. Volek brings a live arm and an extensive amount of experience to San Diego.

“He’s been to the battle before and he knows what it takes,” Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer said. “We’re delighted to have him in here. We were looking for a guy who has been under center. He’s started 10 games and played in 24. That experience is a commodity that we really didn’t have. It was an ideal acquisition for us.”

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/volek-happy-to.htm

mapcap55

BoltTalker
Aug 21, 2006
So what, we have acquired a lazy crybaby?:icon_eek:

If any of this stuff is true I hope that he doesen't try this crap here...

TheLash

Aug 8, 2006
Man just listened to Fishers interview on NFL live. Hope this guy isn't the POS he sounds like.

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
Nomadic Bolt Fan said:
Even if this is true, he better not try that shit in SD. We all know what AJ does to those type of players.
he send them to New Orleans :icon_rofl:

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

FISHER LOSING HIS MARBLES?

Titan coach Jeff Fisher, who ranks second behind only Coach Chin in tenure with the same NFL team, went bonkos on Wednesday regarding former Tennessee quarterback Billy Volek, calling him a liar but decining to say what he had lied about.

"I never at anytime in my career have gone into such detail," Fisher said. "But I felt the responsibility, as Billy felt he was thrown under the bus, Billy threw this organization under the bus, along with a number of his teammates."

Okay, fine. What did he do?

"He was untruthful with me, untruthful with his head coach, about where he was and what he was doing. So we started off on the wrong page there, and that did not sit well with me," Fisher said.

It sounds like Fisher is referring to Volek's activities in the offseason. Perhaps while the Titans were dicking around with Steve McNair, locking him out of the facility and taking the issue to arbitration, Volek wasn't lifting enough weights, saying enough prayers, and/or eating enough vitamins.

Regardless, Fisher's suggestion that they "started off on the wrong page" doesn't explain why the team would, on the eve of the regular season, bring in Kerry Collins and put him at the top of the depth chart. If Volek was being such a problem, make the move earlier.

Our guess? Fisher lobbied for the move because he feared that, under Volek, the team would suck and Fisher wouldn't get a new contract to replace the deal that expires after the 2006 season. We also suspect that Fisher and G.M. Floyd Reese, who wouldn't be on the same page while reading a one-sheet newspaper, banged heads on the Collins acquisition as well. Fisher probably had wanted to add Collins for weeks if not months, and Reese probably was resisting it. So then Reese finally agrees to it at a time when it's far too late for Collins to be successful. And now that the Titans suck anyway, they're forced to give up Volek for a pimento loaf sandwich, and Fisher feels even more heat as it's all falling apart.

True? Who knows. But that's what we'll choose to believe, unless and until Fisher tells us what Volek said or did to get himself branded as a liar.

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
Does anyone know what Fisher was lieing about yet.:icon_shrug: :icon_shrug: :icon_tease: :icon_huh: :icon_rofl:

Johnny Lightning

Go Bolts
Feb 7, 2006
sdchrger said:
I'm not sure what Fisher means taken advantage of being the starter. From what I have seen, there seems to be a decided disadvantage to being the starting QB of the Titans.
:lol:

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
Steve Fischer is related to Drew Brees. :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

Both fuggin LIARS !!!!!! :bolt:

Johnny Lightning

Go Bolts
Feb 7, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:
Steve Fischer is related to Drew Brees. :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

Both fuggin LIARS !!!!!! :bolt:
Brees lied
Donnie lied
Mansker lied
Fisher lied
What a bunch of liars they can all kiss my ass ! :kisskiss:

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
Johnny Lightning said:
He's A lying shit....:icon_evil:
Yup and even a POS like leisure knew who I was talking about and I did not even get his first or last name right. :lol: