• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fair Warning - Trolling here - How was the reception when the la chrgr's returned from Balt after their first playoff win ever

HEXEDBOLT

Don't like it, lump it!!!
I think the game against NE will be a close game either way. I think the Chargers are the better team, but the Patriots are tough at home and potentially bad weather probably helps the Patriots. But in order to win it all, the Chargers need to conquer obstacles like this.

I get that Las Vegas establishments have to predict bettor behavior and that casual fans are all over the Patriots and that the Chargers do not have a large fan base, but I have been shocked first by the Ravens being favored over the Chargers after everything went about as poorly for the Chargers as it could have gone in the first game and they almost won anyway, and second, by the Patriots being favored at all, much less by 4.5 points after what the Chargers did to a tough Ravens team in Baltimore.

I saw where ESPN's FPI model gives the Patriots a 65% chance to win and an analysis such as that is equally baffling to me.

So, to me, there seems like an unjustified amount of belief in the Patriots.
I'm just going by history and knowing that what happens in the future never extrapolates to a Dead Bolts victory. If you cut off a finger for every game the Bolts should have won, you'd only have thumbs!

wrbanwal

I'm just going by history and knowing that what happens in the future never extrapolates to a Dead Bolts victory. If you cut off a finger for every game the Bolts should have won, you'd only have thumbs!
those fawkers would be on their toes by now lol

but I don't put anything past the nfl and their money grab

The Chiefs (who they basically had the better of twice and would likely beat more easily if they would quit spotting them a two turnover advantage every time they played them)
What kind of teams spot their division-championship rivals a 2-turnover advantage every time they play them? Hint: The answer rhymes with tokers.

What kind of teams spot their division-championship rivals a 2-turnover advantage every time they play them? Hint: The answer rhymes with tokers.
Whatever else you might want to call the Chargers, they are not the "chokers" that you are suggesting they are. They have been mentally as tough as nails this season, with a notoriously tough to earn road win over SEA, a multiple score comeback road win over PIT, a multiple score comeback road win over KC (league's #1 offense), and a dominant road playoff win over BAL (league's #1 defense).

Physical underperformance happens and it is not the same thing as choking. My view is that the distribution of such instances of underperformance has been coincidentally skewed such that a disproportionate share of the overall instances has happened against KC.

Absent something special that is KC is doing on defense, and believe me, if anyone is calling KC's defense "special", he/she is not intending the same meaning for the word "special" as I have intended at the outset of this sentence, the statistical anomaly of the disproportionate number of miscues against KC is unlikely to continue indefinitely.

I do not see this season's KC team beating this season's Chargers in a game in which the turnover differential is even or favors the Chargers. That is unlikley as the Chargers have been able to move the ball more effectively in both games than KC has.

To me, it is pretty simple. There are three very good units of the four total offensive and defensive units and one bad one. KC's offense, the Charger offense and the Charger defense are all very good. KC's defense, despite being a good pass rushing team, is poor.

In any event, the Chargers are 9-0 outside of Los Angeles. Win or lose against NE, that is very impressive and not indicative of a team that is a group of chokers.

Wait? I thought I was the only one who noticed it.
I have described in multiple posts how the Patriots had 4 referee aided wins last year. One of those was against the Chargers on a terrible OPI call against Ty. Williams on a long TD reception by Benjamin.

This season, though, has not been as noteworthy for those occurrences, but historically, they do have that reputation.

I have described in multiple posts how the Patriots had 4 referee aided wins last year. One of those was against the Chargers on a terrible OPI call against Ty. Williams on a long TD reception by Benjamin.

This season, though, has not been as noteworthy for those occurrences, but historically, they do have that reputation.
Sorry I didn't take notes on your previous declarations on the matter. I knew we'd agree on something.

wrbanwal

I do not live in Los Angeles, so I do not know how the team was received. All reports that I have read are that the team's fan base is increasing over time, though.

While any of the remaining 8 teams can win it all and no team is a clear favorite, I remain more comfortable as a Chargers fan than I would be as a fan of any other team.

The Patriots could easily beat the Chargers this weekend, but I believe that the Chargers are the better team.

The same thought holds true regarding a potential AFCCG game against either the Chiefs (who they basically had the better of twice and would likely beat more easily if they would quit spotting them a two turnover advantage every time they played them) or the Colts (who are overrated and simply not as good as the Chargers).

If the Chargers do make it to the Super Bowl, I am hoping they get to play the Rams so they can complete their "revenge cycle" by having beaten in a rematch every team to whom they lost during the regular season. And, of course, if we are discussing matters outside of just this season, It would be particularly nice for the Chargers to beat the Patriots and be the team that ends their streak of consecutive AFCCG appearances.
Thanks for your input. :)

You have been sure of a lot of things this season, a lot of it involved tin-foil hats... ;)
Not really. I am getting about 2 out of 3 games right, which is better than the odds themselves and better than everybody here outside of that genius, LABoltfan. And LABoltfan had a huge advantage over me considering that he's watched far more than 2 games over the past two seasons. What exactly was I sure of that I got wrong? I think I've called myself out for all the errors.
If the Spanoses win Sunday, you can call me out for getting something wrong that I was sure of.
As far as the tin-hat thing goes, I assume you are talking about my rigged theory. I was the voice of a very small minority in the beginning of the season, but, by now, I think my theory has either a majority or large minority agreement. Even you must wonder sometimes if it is true. I mean, for ****'s sake, you're a Spanos fan - same as I was for nearly 40 years. You must suspect something is up. Rigging should be a lot more believable than a curse.

Whatever else you might want to call the Chargers, they are not ... "chokers".
...The statistical anomaly of the disproportionate number of miscues against KC is unlikely to continue indefinitely.... KC's offense, the Charger offense and the Charger defense are all very good. KC's defense, despite being a good pass rushing team, is poor.
You know more than I do about who is good and who is bad. I don't watch the games. However, you seem to be struggling with the meaning of the metaphor - "chokers."

If the Spanoses' "very good" offense is making a "disproportionate number of miscues", not once, but every time, against its main rival's "poor" defense, the word for that is choker.

if you would like to see the other words I have for the Spanoses, I would be happy to repeat them.

You know more than I do about who is good and who is bad. I don't watch the games. However, you seem to be struggling with the meaning of the metaphor - "chokers."

If the Spanoses' "very good" offense is making a "disproportionate number of miscues", not once, but every time, against its main rival's "poor" defense, the word for that is choker.

if you would like to see the other words I have for the Spanoses, I would be happy to repeat them.
I disagree with your description of "choker". All teams underperform from time to time. The Chargers have underperformed at times this season. That does not mean that they choked in those instances.

For the most part, the Chargers have been exceptional in the clutch--basically the opposite of choking. Not only did the team not lose the second KC game despite being -2 in turnover differential, they came back from 14 down three times to beat the Chiefs and converted the two point conversion in the clutch win or lose moment to finish them off.

The Chargers also came back from 16 down, coverting two two-point conversions in the process, to beat the Steelers on the road in a nationally televised game, finishing them off with no time on the clock.

They stopped the Seahawks in a goal to go situation at the end of the game and they stopped the Titans on their two point conversion attempt at the end of the game twice.

The Chargers have repeatedly come up huge in the clutch, so they are not a group of chokers. That much is crystal clear.

That said, they have made a disproportionate number of unforced mistakes against KC. And all I am saying is that the turnover differential cannot keep being so much in favor of KC because the Chiefs simply are not doing anything to make it that way. With things tending to regress to the norm, I do not see this season's KC beating the this season's Chargers anywhere on the planet if there is an even turnover differential or one that favors the Chargers.

Colts are overrated? You can’t just drop some bullshit like that and walk away without defending it.

Keep it under 1,000 words.
Yes, the Colts are very overrated. The Chiefs, Ravens, Patriots and Chargers are the top teams in the AFC. Honestly, PIT is also better than any AFCS team as well. The Colts played against two of those top 4 AFC teams and got drilled both times, proving that they are not on the same level as those teams.

The Colts put up one garbage time offensive TD against a team giving up 26.3 points per game. I did not think it was possible for any offense to make the KC defense look good, but the Colts managed it.

It sucks to see the Chiefs get a bye and then, essentially, a second bye straight into the AFCCG while the Chargers have had to beat the Ravens in Baltimore and now have to face the Patriots in Foxborough.

wrbanwal

Yes, the Colts are very overrated. The Chiefs, Ravens, Patriots and Chargers are the top teams in the AFC. Honestly, PIT is also better than any AFCS team as well. The Colts played against two of those top 4 AFC teams and got drilled both times, proving that they are not on the same level as those teams.

The Colts put up one garbage time offensive TD against a team giving up 26.3 points per game. I did not think it was possible for any offense to make the KC defense look good, but the Colts managed it.

It sucks to see the Chiefs get a bye and then, essentially, a second bye straight into the AFCCG while the Chargers have had to beat the Ravens in Baltimore and now have to face the Patriots in Foxborough.

Why does it suck to see the Chiefs get a bye and then....

They have the best team in the league....

F* your spanni chrgs

if it wasn't for the nfl and their refs they would STILL suck

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member

F* your spanni chrgs

lolz EXACTLY. Jeebus whiny azz spanos fans. Win your division and you get some perks. Settle for a WC and you don't. Simple. They don't deserve anything better unless they change the playoff format. They play in a division where there are 2 teams that are horrendous and they had another tomato can schedule for a large part again this year. They lost out to the Chefs for the division title and rightly so. Mahomes is the greatest. That team put on a clinic today. They deserve to be hosting.

F* your spanni chrgs

LMAO!!! The Chiefs do not have the best team in the league or even in the AFC. The Chargers dominated them in total yardage twice, but lost once to them once due to turnovers/drops and beat them the second time despite being -2 in turnover differential. If the turnover differential is even or favors the Chargers, they will beat the Chiefs. The Patriots also beat the Chiefs and the Ravens should have beaten them.

I have no issue with the Chiefs getting a bye, but it sucks that they got the pure luck of the Texans being the #3 seed, which guaranteed that they would draw a comparatively weak Colts team in the second round. That is just dumb luck in their favor while the Chargers have the most difficult path possible on the road against all of the toughest opponents they could have drawn.

The Chargers have been victimized by bad officiating call after bad officiating call all season long. They got the benefit of two false starts--one in a game that they won by 24 after surrendering garbage time points to make it that close and one in a close game that was offset by about 10 missed calls (multiple offsides and PIs) in favor of the Steelers. The Chargers pretty much got screwed by the refs against the Ravens in both games, especially the first one. In the second game the Chargers earned a TD three times before it was counted once (missed replay call, missed spot, would have been a TD on the next play had the spot been correct, missed spot again, and finally a TD).

lolz EXACTLY. Jeebus whiny azz spanos fans. Win your division and you get some perks. Settle for a WC and you don't. Simple. They don't deserve anything better unless they change the playoff format. They play in a division where there are 2 teams that are horrendous and they had another tomato can schedule for a large part again this year. They lost out to the Chefs for the division title and rightly so. Mahomes is the greatest. That team put on a clinic today. They deserve to be hosting.
Tomato can schedule? Have you looked at the AFCE and AFCS? There is one top level team in both divisions combined. The AFCN was the toughest draw possible this season with there being a top level Ravens team, a good Steelers team, an up and coming Browns team and a Bengals team that played the Chargers tough. How about the NFCW? Yes, there are two easier opponents, but the Chargers got road games against the Rams and Seahawks. And, of course, they had two games against KC.

The KC/IND game was a joke because IND was a lesser team that played poorly. The Colts lost to CIN, NYJ and JAC and barely beat NYG, JAC and MIA. They were hugely overrated by some. I thought the game would be at least a two score win for the Chiefs and I was right as it was more than a two score win.

The Chiefs really did not play that well at all--very unimpressive. Mahomes missed a bunch of wide open passes despite having all day to throw. He had zero TD passes. The clinic was the one the Chargers put on against the Ravens last week, best defensive performance by a playoff team until they went to the prevent defense. The Chargers looked better on defense than the Ravens did.

As I have said, if the Chargers get a third game against KC and if the turnovers are even or favor the Chargers, the Chargers will beat the Chiefs because the Chargers are the better team.