• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fair Warning - Trolling here - How was the reception when the la chrgr's returned from Balt after their first playoff win ever

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Anyone with any cam footage please post, would be appreciated. Then we can compare with what we know would have been the reaction in San Diego. Also IF (huge if) they manage to win the AFCC and it's on the road say in KC, let's also see the reception and compare with 1994 celebration at the Murph and in the parking lot of the Murph which was overflowing as there were not enough seats in the stadium to handle the crowd that showed up to give that team a huge welcome home like none other that I know of has ever occured in the NFL. THAT is what the spanii walked away from . FUDEAN.

RamAirVA

Curse and Damn You Spanos!
All kidding aside, I would be curious to know as well. I still have a video of the celebration at the Murph that my aunt and uncle took at the time.

Anyone with any cam footage please post, would be appreciated. Then we can compare with what we know would have been the reaction in San Diego. Also IF (huge if) they manage to win the AFCC and it's on the road say in KC, let's also see the reception and compare with 1994 celebration at the Murph and in the parking lot of the Murph which was overflowing as there were not enough seats in the stadium to handle the crowd that showed up to give that team a huge welcome home like none other that I know of has ever occured in the NFL. THAT is what the spanii walked away from . FUDEAN.
Supposedly this huge throng of fans greeted them on their return. Puts the post Pittsburgh game to shame.

From a commenter on CBS-8’s Facebook page.
00E69516-DE81-48B7-BB1A-DC16FFF5BD1C.jpeg

I do not live in Los Angeles, so I do not know how the team was received. All reports that I have read are that the team's fan base is increasing over time, though.

While any of the remaining 8 teams can win it all and no team is a clear favorite, I remain more comfortable as a Chargers fan than I would be as a fan of any other team.

The Patriots could easily beat the Chargers this weekend, but I believe that the Chargers are the better team.

The same thought holds true regarding a potential AFCCG game against either the Chiefs (who they basically had the better of twice and would likely beat more easily if they would quit spotting them a two turnover advantage every time they played them) or the Colts (who are overrated and simply not as good as the Chargers).

If the Chargers do make it to the Super Bowl, I am hoping they get to play the Rams so they can complete their "revenge cycle" by having beaten in a rematch every team to whom they lost during the regular season. And, of course, if we are discussing matters outside of just this season, It would be particularly nice for the Chargers to beat the Patriots and be the team that ends their streak of consecutive AFCCG appearances.

Harryo the K

Come on Spanni....give it up.....the dumb lightning bolts and all don't work in LA....rebrand....get 'new and extreme'.....new younger name....the Message.....the LA Message......get some damn thing for the folks up there to relate to. Hire Tony Stark—Robert Downty Jr ...to be a “Coach”....don’t let either of the boys make public appearances.....you don't need (or want) the old ”Bolt” logo garbage....really in terms folks in LA would understand...
6D827C8D-BFC4-4E05-8FF0-7AA08773D330.jpeg

captaind

Resist the Dark Side — Join the Alliance
Colts are overrated? You can’t just drop some bullshit like that and walk away without defending it.

Keep it under 1,000 words.

Colts are overrated? You can’t just drop some bullshit like that and walk away without defending it.

Keep it under 1,000 words.
Numerous people in the media consider the Colts to be a championship caliber team. And while their ticket to the playoffs creates the possibility for anything to happen, they are not, in reality, a champonship caliber team. So, that makes them overrated. And to be clear, nobody is saying that they are not a solid/decent team because they are. I am simply saying that they are not the championship caliber team that a number of people seem to think they are.

While any good team can lose a one-off game to a lesser team, the Colts have three such losses--to the 6 win Bengals, to the 4 win Jets, and a shutout loss to the 5 win Jaguars in December. They needed a last minute TD drive that featured two defensive PI calls to beat the 5 win Giants by one point in their final home game. They had to come from 10 down in the 4th quarter to beat a mediocre 7-9 Dolphins team and they needed a late 4th quarter Jaguar fumble just outside of the red zone to hang on for a 3 point win at home against the lowly Jaguars.

They beat only one team outside of their division all season that had a winning record and that one win was against a Cowboys team that came out as flat as pancake in a game that was much more Cowboys bad than Colts good. They went 1-2 against teams outside of their own overrated division that had a winning record and got spanked by 14 points by the only such team they played that had more than 10 wins.

They were only 4-4 on the road during the regular season.

All in all, that is not the stuff of a championship caliber team.

That they beat an equally overrated Texans team in the battle of the two playoff teams that every other AFC playoff team secretly wished they could face in the playoffs does nothing to alter the above reality.

Though I would never underestimate the amazing ability of the Chiefs to choke in the playoffs, it is difficult to imagine how they could lose at home to a slightly better than average Colts team.

That is one sad commentary. You obviously don’t know much about them at all.
So they did not lose to a 6 win, a 5 win and a 4 win team this season? Is that what you are saying?

They did not barely escape (dramatic 4th quarter events in each game to win by 3 points or less) with 3 wins against three teams with a losing record? Is that what you are saying?

While any team in the playoffs has a chance to win it all and wild card teams have won the Super Bowl in past seasons, the facts listed above by themselves establish that the Colts are not a true championship caliber team. Again, while an occasional one-off clunker against a bad team can happen to any team, true championship caliber teams do not drop three such games and then barely squeak by in three other games against teams with a losing record.

Incredibly, the Colts yielded a 70.8% completion percentage this season, good for 31st in the league. They are also not a particularly good pass rushing team (19th in sacks). They were 4-4 on the road. Even without Hunt, I think KC's passing game is likely to eat the Colts alive for a 2+ score victory. That said, the Colts are playing with house money. They did enough to make it into the playoffs as the #6 seed and they even got a playoff win (though getting to play the only team they likely would have beaten certainly helped). But as much as I would prefer it to be otherwise, I think KC will beat them on Saturday.

HEXEDBOLT

Don't like it, lump it!!!
So they did not lose to a 6 win, a 5 win and a 4 win team this season? Is that what you are saying?

They did not barely escape (dramatic 4th quarter events in each game to win by 3 points or less) with 3 wins against three teams with a losing record? Is that what you are saying?

While any team in the playoffs has a chance to win it all and wild card teams have won the Super Bowl in past seasons, the facts listed above by themselves establish that the Colts are not a true championship caliber team. Again, while an occasional one-off clunker against a bad team can happen to any team, true championship caliber teams do not drop three such games and then barely squeak by in three other games against teams with a losing record.

Incredibly, the Colts yielded a 70.8% completion percentage this season, good for 31st in the league. They are also not a particularly good pass rushing team (19th in sacks). They were 4-4 on the road. Even without Hunt, I think KC's passing game is likely to eat the Colts alive for a 2+ score victory. That said, the Colts are playing with house money. They did enough to make it into the playoffs as the #6 seed and they even got a playoff win (though getting to play the only team they likely would have beaten certainly helped). But as much as I would prefer it to be otherwise, I think KC will beat them on Saturday.

You better hope not, your Bolts will get disgraced having to show up in KC again.

captaind

Resist the Dark Side — Join the Alliance

Avatar bet. I’ll take the Colts straight up, even though I’m pulling for the Chiefs.

Pretty clear you haven’t seen them at all, yet label them as overrated just for the sake of arguing.

Name your avatar.

Avatar bet. I’ll take the Colts straight up, even though I’m pulling for the Chiefs.

Pretty clear you haven’t seen them at all, yet label them as overrated just for the sake of arguing.

Name your avatar.
Your take seems odd to me.

I called the Colts overrated because some people think they are a championship caliber team and I do not see them that way. I have listed fact after fact to support that conclusion. If you refuse to accept the assertion that true championship caliber teams do not repeatedly (6 times) struggle mightily against sub-.500 teams, then fine, that is your opinion and you are free to disagree.

But my opinion was/is offered because I believe it is the truth. You were the one that invited further discussion of my view regarding the Colts and I have supported my position with numerous facts about the Colts whether or not you ultimately agree with it. When you are the one that invites the additional discussion, that is not me arguing for the sake of arguing.

Finally, it is not me arguing for the sake of arguing when I decline your bet because I would prefer to root for the Colts and against the Chiefs. Now why would I as a Chargers fan want the Colts to win? The answer to that also establishes what I truly believe about the two teams in terms of which team poses the greater challenge for the Chargers. While I believe the Chargers are better than the Chiefs, I believe the Chiefs are better than the Colts, so I would prefer to see and am rooting for the Colts to make the AFCCG.

But, unfortunately, that is not what I think will happen.

You better hope not, your Bolts will get disgraced having to show up in KC again.
The Chargers basically dominated both KC games in terms of total yardage. However, they have made many unforced mistakes in their games against KC, which altered the results of the games such that one game was actually lost and the other was only won by one point.

It does seem unlikely that the Chargers will keep going -2 or worse in turnover differential per game against the Chiefs forever. With an even or better turnover differential, the Chargers should win and it would not surprise me if the margin were greater than one score.

All of that said, the Chargers still have to get past NE on Sunday, which will be a significant challenge for the Chargers.

HEXEDBOLT

Don't like it, lump it!!!
The Chargers basically dominated both KC games in terms of total yardage. However, they have made many unforced mistakes in their games against KC, which altered the results of the games such that one game was actually lost and the other was only won by one point.

It does seem unlikely that the Chargers will keep going -2 or worse in turnover differential per game against the Chiefs forever. With an even or better turnover differential, the Chargers should win and it would not surprise me if the margin were greater than one score.

All of that said, the Chargers still have to get past NE on Sunday, which will be a significant challenge for the Chargers.
From what I've seen and read the Bolts will take this game. I know what that means as a long time Bolt backer, chances are we lose. They have never lived up to their billing, ever!!!

Everyone seems to be picking them. I know as a seasoned Bolt fan and unless you were not this spells doom for the discharged Bolts!! Need I say more?
I think the game against NE will be a close game either way. I think the Chargers are the better team, but the Patriots are tough at home and potentially bad weather probably helps the Patriots. But in order to win it all, the Chargers need to conquer obstacles like this.

I get that Las Vegas establishments have to predict bettor behavior and that casual fans are all over the Patriots and that the Chargers do not have a large fan base, but I have been shocked first by the Ravens being favored over the Chargers after everything went about as poorly for the Chargers as it could have gone in the first game and they almost won anyway, and second, by the Patriots being favored at all, much less by 4.5 points after what the Chargers did to a tough Ravens team in Baltimore.

I saw where ESPN's FPI model gives the Patriots a 65% chance to win and an analysis such as that is equally baffling to me.

So, to me, there seems like an unjustified amount of belief in the Patriots.