Expanding the playoffs?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Here’s one way to make it easier for the Padres to make the postseason - expand the playoffs.

A proposal to add three wildcard teams, maybe as early as 2022.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I got another way for them to make the playoffs.....find a manager who will cheat like the Astros did!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I vote hell no to more baseball playoff teams. There are too many now, and there were too many when I was born.

Let's have only two MLB post season teams - one team from each major league.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Expanding the playoffs is long overdue. So many teams get knocked out early because the season is so long and there aren't many playoff spots. This would add more excitement for more teams longer into the season, just like the wild card does in the NFL. I'm all for it.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Expanding the playoffs is long overdue. So many teams get knocked out early because the season is so long and there aren't many playoff spots. This would add more excitement for more teams longer into the season, just like the wild card does in the NFL. I'm all for it.
The wild card in the NFL is also awful, but not as awful as in the MLB. If you didn't prove you were the best in your division over 162 games, you don't deserve the chance to play for the World Series championship.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
There are 30 teams in the Majors. Not only would there be fights to the finish for wild card spots, there would be fights for best overall records to get those coveted byes in the first round. I like this idea with one exception: the top wild card team would also get rewarded with the home field advantage of hosting the three game series. That’s the only flaw I see.

I too was once a traditionalist. But it’s not my baseball anymore, with all the sabremetrics and specialized pitching and whatnot, I figure what the hell. Anything that can get the Padres a championship (short of cheating like the Astros) I’m all for.

Reactions: TTK

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
The wild card in the NFL is also awful, but not as awful as in the MLB. If you didn't prove you were the best in your division over 162 games, you don't deserve the chance to play for the World Series championship.
More playoff spots means more meaningful games, which means more fans are still watching and going to games in August and September, which means more money for the teams and the league. More playoff games means more ratings and money. Everyone wins.

Baseball is notoriously stubborn for unwilling to change from tradition so it's not surprising that it took them this long to finally make this no-brainer move.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
More playoff spots means more meaningful games, which means more fans are still watching and going to games in August and September, which means more money for the teams and the league. More playoff games means more ratings and money. Everyone wins.

Baseball is notoriously stubborn for unwilling to change from tradition so it's not surprising that it took them this long to finally make this no-brainer move.
I would rather watch a real pennant race and for the best team from from each League to compete in the Series. The wildcard kills any chance for a pennant race and cheapens the World Series.

Baseball isn't losing fans because of its traditions and slowness to worsen the game. It is losing fans because it is poor at marketing. When all you do is hype the Yankees and Red Sox and do nothing to advertise great players, all you are going to get are Red Sox and Yankees fans.

Among NFL fans, everybody knows small market players like Phillip Rivers and Beast Mode. People will watch those players play if its Sunday and the game is on TV. Whether those players have a chance at the post season matters but not to the point the game needs to be altered.

For most of my life, I did not really follow the NBA but I could name you at least 10 current stars at any given time. I owned Air Jordans and talked about my Magic Johnson all through high school.

I bet very few baseball fans know who Tatis, Jr., is. I know I couldn't name a single Mariner. And I know the Angels have a superstar named Trout. His first name? I have no idea. His position? No clue. Baseball is a great game with crap advertising. Stop changing the game. Change the marketing.

Last edited:

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
I would rather watch a real pennant race and for the best team from from each League to compete in the Series. The wildcard kills any chance for a pennant race and cheapens the World Series.

Baseball isn't losing fans because of its traditions and slowness to worsen the game. It is losing fans because it is poor at marketing. When all you do is hype the Yankees and Red Sox and do nothing to advertise great players, all you are going to get are Red Sox and Yankees fans.

Among NFL fans, everybody knows small market players like Phillip Rivers and Beast Mode. People will watch those players play if its Sunday and the game is on TV. Whether those players have a chance at the post season matters but not to the point the game needs to be altered.

For most of my life, I did not really follow the NBA but I could name you at least 10 current stars at any given time. I owned Air Jordans and talked about my Magic Johnson all through high school.

I bet very few baseball fans know who Tatis, Jr., is. I know I couldn't name a single Mariner. And I know the Angels have a superstar named Trout. His first name? I have no idea. His position? No clue. Baseball is a great game with crap advertising. Stop changing the game. Change the marketing.
You are right baseball has a marketing problem.

They also have a inequality problem and that leads to so many empty stadiums and apathy for a majority of the season for so many teams, which contributes to their inequality as they cannot generate more revenue.

This rule change helps with those issues.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Let's just forget the damn World Series. Participation Ribbons for all. The best team gets a gold one. The last place team gets a pink one. Then that's it. After that it's all go to Chuck-E-Cheese.....forget Disneyland.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Savage Lizard

FORMER Charger fan at 7000'
Jul 12, 2007
Big Bear Lake, CA
www.savagelizard.com
It all comes down to whether you want to crown the most deserving team, or make the sport more entertaining longer into the season for more fans. Yes, expanded playoffs make it easier for a lesser team to get hot at the right time. But, the seasons is LOOOOOOONG and once your team is out of it, it's hard to give a fuck.

Reactions: Lance19

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
It all comes down to whether you want to crown the most deserving team, or make the sport more entertaining longer into the season for more fans. Yes, expanded playoffs make it easier for a lesser team to get hot at the right time. But, the seasons is LOOOOOOONG and once your team is out of it, it's hard to give a fuck.
It is hard to give a fuck because too many teams make the post season, and we don't know shit about most of those teams. The Twins won over 100 games last year. Did you know that? Until, for the purposes of this post, I looked up last year's standings. I didn't know that about the Twins. I didn't even know they made the post season. I couldn't name you any player on the Twins. That is baseball's problem - marketing, not that its post-season teams aren't mediocre enough. If I, a sports fan who spends every day on a sports forum, can't even name a player on one of the best teams, you know 90% of the country couldn't either. I bet more than 25% of the nation has heard of a player on the Minnesota Vikings, and the Vikings are a mediocre team.

Last year, in the A.L., three teams finished with more than 100 wins. Imagine if those teams were forced to beat each other out to make the post season. Even though I am not a fan of any of those teams, I would have been watching them chase down the A.L. pennant. Instead, because the playoffs were dumbed down, we already knew those teams were going to the post season well before the year ended. So, once the Pads' season ended in July, I was done with baseball.

Last edited:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Agree. At the end of the day, all spectator sports boil down to entertainment. It's for fun! Maximize the entertainment.

I wouldn't want any system in which most teams (16/31 NHL?) made the playoffs: It devalues the whole regular season.

On the other hand, too few playoff teams make half of a long season seem pointless to the fans of many teams. I'm a San Diegan: I know this too well.
Basically the '70s were a drought for Charger fans. I loved the sport (as I do now) but my team was "out of it" :( early, most of those years.
My childhood didn't see a single playoff game...I was shocked at how exciting they were (for 4 seasons...before another 9 year drought).
I think we had a total of 7 playoff games (2 in '80, '81 & '82) over the 26 seasons from '66 to '91. Less than .27 playoff games per year!
And yet I stood by my team, bought tickets, and when jerseys became available ('83?) bought tons. I see my fandom through the hard times as heroic! :roflmao:

I think the NFL system is a great balance: Just over 1/3 of teams (12/32) get in...and being a wildcard gives you a little tougher road...

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
You are right baseball has a marketing problem.

They also have a inequality problem and that leads to so many empty stadiums and apathy for a majority of the season for so many teams, which contributes to their inequality as they cannot generate more revenue.

This rule change helps with those issues.
Baseball has been unequal forever. The difference is, back in the day, we knew the best players on the losers. Andre Dawson. Dale Murphy. Paul Molitor. Now we don't. Uh. Quick. Name a Miami Marlin. Maybe you can. I can't.

Savage Lizard

Jul 12, 2007
Big Bear Lake, CA
www.savagelizard.com
I'm not advocating half the teams making it or anything like that, but more playoff teams will only increase fan interest in more cities. And I hear what you're saying about pennant races, but I disagree. Great fun if you are one of the handful of teams that's in it, a lot of meaningless games if you're not.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I'm not advocating half the teams making it or anything like that, but more playoff teams will only increase fan interest in more cities. And I hear what you're saying about pennant races, but I disagree. Great fun if you are one of the handful of teams that's in it, a lot of meaningless games if you're not.
It is great fun watching the best teams battle it out for the championship whether or not one of those teams is mine.

Remember the year we got beat out on the last day by Colorado for the final wild card spot? I barely paid attention- I didn't give a shit that my mediocre team might make the post season as a wild card. Did anybody else? Nope. That final game probably had shit ratings, and hardly anybody outside of Colorado remembers either of those teams from that year. It did nothing to make baseball more popular, but it did succeed in dumbing down the game. I think that lame Rockies team got hot, went deep in the post-season, and ruined any matchup that might have taken place between actual good teams. ... I just looked it up. The second place Rockies made the World Series, and got swept. Yay. If things had gone my way that year, the 96-win Indians would have had a 1-game playoff against the 96-win Red Sox for the A.L. Pennant. ... Oh, and that Padres - Rockies game went 13 innings, ended with a fancy slide at the plate, and nobody I know ever talks about it or likely knows about it. I kind of remember the slide, but I don't remember much else about that season.

Now let's talk about the game that none of us outside of maybe Harry O is old enough to remember: the one that featured The Shot Heard Round the World and gave the Giants the N.L. pennant. Every baseball fan, no matter who one roots for, knows that story, and it has been about a century since it took place. It is one of the reasons baseball became America's number one entertainment choice. If there had been a wildcard back then, that game would have meant nothing.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
It is great fun watching the best teams battle it out for the championship whether or not one of those teams is mine.

Remember the year we got beat out on the last day by Colorado for the final wild card spot? I barely paid attention- I didn't give a shit that my mediocre team might make the post season as a wild card. Did anybody else? Nope. That final game probably had shit ratings, and hardly anybody outside of Colorado remembers either of those teams from that year. It did nothing to make baseball more popular, but it did succeed in dumbing down the game. I think that lame Rockies team got hot, went deep in the post-season, and ruined any matchup that might have taken place between actual good teams. ... I just looked it up. The second place Rockies made the World Series, and got swept. Yay. If things had gone my way that year, the 96-win Indians would have had a 1-game playoff against the 96-win Red Sox for the A.L. Pennant. ... Oh, and that Padres - Rockies game went 13 innings, ended with a fancy slide at the plate, and nobody I know ever talks about it or likely knows about it. I kind of remember the slide, but I don't remember much else about that season.

Now let's talk about the game that none of us outside of maybe Harry O is old enough to remember: the one that featured The Shot Heard Round the World and gave the Giants the N.L. pennant. Every baseball fan, no matter who one roots for, knows that story, and it has been about a century since it took place. It is one of the reasons baseball became America's number one entertainment choice. If there had been a wildcard back then, that game would have meant nothing.
The “Shot Heard ‘Round the World” was mostly driven by the radio broadcast. It was a different era of entertainment. We are way oversaturated now.

That Rockies playoff game featured a huge blown save by Trevor which followed a previous huge blown save against Milwaukee (a triple given up to Tony Gwynn Jr.) that cost them the division title. It was Bud Black’s first season, I wonder if Bochy would’ve made a difference of one game?

Savage Lizard

Jul 12, 2007
Big Bear Lake, CA
www.savagelizard.com

YEAH! And we need to go back to nine balls for a walk. We're missing out on the excitement of those additional missed pitches for a walk. Pussies getting a cheap walk after four balls now days. Fucking baseball always changing things.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Baseball has been unequal forever. The difference is, back in the day, we knew the best players on the losers. Andre Dawson. Dale Murphy. Paul Molitor. Now we don't. Uh. Quick. Name a Miami Marlin. Maybe you can. I can't.
The MLB is too regional because of the way their TV/viewing works. No big weekly, national games like the NFL that everyone tunes in to especially for fantasy football.

That's kind of the marketing problem you were speaking of. I'm not sure really how they would fix that. Fantasy baseball exists but no one cares. It just doesn't work well with baseball like it does with football.

Andrew Dawson, Dale Murphy. I knew those guys because I would see some of them on those TBS Braves telecasts, baseball cards or maybe the This Week In Baseball show. If you follow one NFL team, you'll probably know what's going on with a number of teams. Baseball, I don't really know anything about any other teams except for maybe the Dodgers. Maybe if the Padres were regular contenders, I'd pay attention to the league as a whole more?

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The MLB is too regional because of the way their TV/viewing works. No big weekly, national games like the NFL that everyone tunes in to especially for fantasy football.

That's kind of the marketing problem you were speaking of. I'm not sure really how they would fix that. Fantasy baseball exists but no one cares. It just doesn't work well with baseball like it does with football.

Andrew Dawson, Dale Murphy. I knew those guys because I would see some of them on those TBS Braves telecasts, baseball cards or maybe the This Week In Baseball show. If you follow one NFL team, you'll probably know what's going on with a number of teams. Baseball, I don't really know anything about any other teams except for maybe the Dodgers. Maybe if the Padres were regular contenders, I'd pay attention to the league as a whole more?
Tune into any football game, and you are guaranteed to hear about all the NFL stars - not just the teams playing. When I used to watch games with sound, I couldn't get through a game without hearing about Joe Montana or Brett Favre or Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith, and those guys showed up in TV ads. Basketball had an entire animated film with its players in it. Thr NFL has the famous John Madden football video game. Baseball movies tend to star Kevin Costner. And the baseball video game, at least when I played it, was E.A. sports, and none of the players were actual MLB players. Plus, that game sucked compared to Madden. You couldn't do as much with the players or be any player you wanted to be.

The NFL and NBA has their media star teams like the Cowboys and Packers and Lakers and Celtics, but it is the star players and coaches that get talked about. In baseball, it is the Yankees and Red Sox and has been for decades now - thanks Peter Gammons. That is all I hear about.

There have been some exceptions for baseball. There was that freak year in which baseball talked about Sosa and McGwire, and there were those couple seasons Canseco/ McGwire were hyped up. And there were the Big Unit years. We all wanted to see those players even though they weren't on our team, and baseball got great TV ratings for them. But, for the most part, baseball player hype is replaced by a countdown to the next Red Sox - Yankees game. Nobody gives a fuck about those teams; we care about players. And the players we know don't play baseball.

Savage Lizard

Jul 12, 2007
Big Bear Lake, CA
www.savagelizard.com
I completely agree about the fixation with the Yankees-Red Sox. If you are a fan of those teams life is awesome for you because they get blown non-stop in the media. When those two play ESPN acts like the heavens have parted and the gods have bestowed upon us the Yankees and Red Sox. Fuck the Yankees and Red Sox.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

yup, if we were competitive on a half-way regular basis we'd be more interested in the NL and league as a whole no doubt. But we are bottom of the division almost all years so get ignored by the media other than maybe if there's a trade for a Manny or a great athlete like Tatis shows up. Other than that no one cares about the Padres around the league and in the media. This ownership was supposed to change that. I don't see it yet. We keep hearing about all the 'hot lava'......doens't exactly seem to be flowing yet....maybe a trickle. Big deal. If you want notoriety you gotta compete with the doggers and good luck with that. We don't have the cash. So yeah, Q is right, baseball is way lopsided. It ruins the sport. And for me, BIG DEALif they expand the playoffs and someone gets in as a wild card that would have been in the trash bin otherwise. They are just fodder for putting more butts in the seats and are guaranteed one and done. That's like bringing in an unknown rookie to training camp in the NFL simply to increase the #'s and let the other guys have fewer reps so they can rest up. Playoff fodder/camp fodder, take your pick. I'm not into it. It's making lemmings out of fans even more than they already are. Eff it. I'm not even purchasing a package for MLB.com this year.....there's little hope of doing any damage again that I can see. I suckered last year. Not this year. The guy they hired as manager was the final straw for me. And letting Betts go to the doggers was another. We have no chance.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
yup, if we were competitive on a half-way regular basis we'd be more interested in the NL and league as a whole no doubt. But we are bottom of the division almost all years so get ignored by the media other than maybe if there's a trade for a Manny or a great athlete like Tatis shows up. Other than that no one cares about the Padres around the league and in the media. This ownership was supposed to change that. I don't see it yet. We keep hearing about all the 'hot lava'......doens't exactly seem to be flowing yet....maybe a trickle. Big deal. If you want notoriety you gotta compete with the doggers and good luck with that. We don't have the cash. So yeah, Q is right, baseball is way lopsided. It ruins the sport. And for me, BIG DEALif they expand the playoffs and someone gets in as a wild card that would have been in the trash bin otherwise. They are just fodder for putting more butts in the seats and are guaranteed one and done. That's like bringing in an unknown rookie to training camp in the NFL simply to increase the #'s and let the other guys have fewer reps so they can rest up. Playoff fodder/camp fodder, take your pick. I'm not into it. It's making lemmings out of fans even more than they already are. Eff it. I'm not even purchasing a package for MLB.com this year.....there's little hope of doing any damage again that I can see. I suckered last year. Not this year. The guy they hired as manager was the final straw for me. And letting Betts go to the doggers was another. We have no chance.
Not true for me. Maybe for you. When the Padres were a playoff team during the 90s, I knew about as much as I know now about the Padres, but really didn't know much about the other teams. You know when I knew a lot and watched a lot of non-Padres games? During the 80s and early 90s, when we mostly sucked ass. That is true for most American sports fans around my age. Baseball died sometime around that time and got revived for brief periods because of the unit and the McGwire/Sosa homerun year. If baseball is reliant on gaining fans for only the competitive teams on a year by year basis, it is fucked.

Back in the day, I used to watch the Angels - not because the Pads were good or I gave a shit about the California Angels - but because Reggie Jackson, a household name, was on the team. I watched the As for Rickey. I watched the BoSox for Boggs. The Spos for Dawson and Raines. The Royals for Brett. The Mariners for Molitor. The Tigers for Trammel and Sparky. The Braves for Murphy. The Dodgers for Nandomania and Lasorda. The Cardinals for all the speedsters. The Twins for Kirby. Just about every team had some player I liked watching or some nutso manager I wanted to see kick dirt. It didn't matter who was competitive. I think that was true of most fans. Then Peter Gammons and the baseball narrative writers turned the story into the Yankees and Red Sox. I stopped knowing about players outside of San Diego and eventually stopped watching.

Where are the Nike ads with Tatis, Jr.? If I were in charge of baseball, I would make sure his name was a household word. Or how about our crazy cowboy pitcher? I am sure, if people knew as much about him as I do, there would be a shit load more people tuning in to watch that nut job throw. Where are all the ads for that guy on the Angels? How about all the other exciting players I have never heard of? Instead, baseball is only interested in telling us of the existence of the Yankees and Red Sox. People know they exist - we just don't care about them. We care about great athletes, great stories, and colorful characters - not team names. Baseball has a chance to turn the Astros story into a reason for the entire nation to hate watch like the NFL did for the Patsies and, before them, the Cowboys and Raiders. Or like the NBA does now for Harden and, most notoriously, for the Bad Boys that used to play in Detroit. Will baseball do that? Hell no. The 'Stros story will be dismissed so we can continue our countdown to the next Red Sox - Yankees series. Boring story with two faceless teams instead of a League filled with all the zany characters it used to pimp.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Not true for me. Maybe for you. When the Padres were a playoff team during the 90s, I really didn't know much about the other teams. You know when I knew a lot and watched a lot of non-Padres games? During the 80s and early 90s, when we mostly sucked ass. That is true for most American sports fans around my age. If baseball is reliant on gaining fans for only the competitive teams on a year by year basis, it is fucked.

Where are the Nike ads with Tatis, Jr.? If I were in charge of baseball, I would make sure his name was a household word. Where are all the ads for that guy on the Angels? How about all the other exciting players I have never heard of? Instead, baseball is only interested in telling us of the existence of the Yankees and Red Sox. People know they exist - we just don't care about them. We care about great athletes, great stories, and colorful characters - not team names. Baseball has a chance to turn the Astros story into a reason for the entire nation to hate watch like the NFL did for the Patsies and, before them, the Cowboys and Raiders. Will baseball do that? Hell no. The 'Stros story will be dismissed so we can continue our countdown to the next Red Sox - Yankees series. Boring.
I can see where a hard core fan would find a lot of interest in a mediocre team with no chance. Baseball is a great strategy game and some just love watching it for the strategy and visiting team great players if their own team sucks mostly. Well we could always take pride in our best players...and we had a bunch. It's just sad watching them be way more obscure and not get the headlines they deserve. Tony Gwynn if he'd been a Yankee would have been right up there with Dimaggio andall the other legends in NY. Not here though. Where were all his commercials and endorsements? Mostly local. And it was salt in the wound when he DID go to the WS against, who else?, the Yankees, and they got swept. Another dagger to SD sports and Tony Gwynn's media coverage. SD is a small market and suffers because of it. But a lot of it was on the owners we've had to endure for years and years who were not really truly committed to winning or were incompetent to do so. And yes Red-Sox /Yankees boring....and it's so prevalent the whole sport is boring. The Astros won so figured hey the smaller markets can actually win the World Series. Now we find out they cheated big time to do it and some of their dumbass players are STILL trying to minimize it "oh we cheated in 2015 and 17 but not in 2018 or 2019 so it's being overblown" LMAO Yeah right. They should strip them of their title and haven't done so yet. But it shows that a smaller market team winning is an anomaly. We'll never catch the doggers in our division. And if the doggers have a dropoff, the Gnats will come back again and beat the hell out of the rest of the division. Same as always. The only hope we have is if the stars align and we somehow have a miracle season and overachieve. But that would start with a damn good manager and look who we hired! Some lacky. Just great. I'll leave the day to day watching that team this season to the hard core fans. I just never was a hard core baseball fan, sorry. Football was it for me and that's all gone now in SD as far as pro football. And we'll likely never see it again. Gotta love pro sports.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Not true for me. Maybe for you. When the Padres were a playoff team during the 90s, I knew about as much as I know now about the Padres, but really didn't know much about the other teams. You know when I knew a lot and watched a lot of non-Padres games? During the 80s and early 90s, when we mostly sucked ass. That is true for most American sports fans around my age. Baseball died sometime around that time and got revived for brief periods because of the unit and the McGwire/Sosa homerun year. If baseball is reliant on gaining fans for only the competitive teams on a year by year basis, it is fucked.

Back in the day, I used to watch the Angels - not because the Pads were good or I gave a shit about the California Angels - but because Reggie Jackson, a household name, was on the team. I watched the As for Rickey. I watched the BoSox for Boggs. The Spos for Dawson and Raines. The Royals for Brett. The Mariners for Molitor. The Tigers for Trammel and Sparky. The Braves for Murphy. The Dodgers for Nandomania and Lasorda. The Cardinals for all the speedsters. The Twins for Kirby. Just about every team had some player I liked watching or some nutso manager I wanted to see kick dirt. It didn't matter who was competitive. I think that was true of most fans. Then Peter Gammons and the baseball narrative writers turned the story into the Yankees and Red Sox. I stopped knowing about players outside of San Diego and eventually stopped watching.

Where are the Nike ads with Tatis, Jr.? If I were in charge of baseball, I would make sure his name was a household word. Where are all the ads for that guy on the Angels? How about all the other exciting players I have never heard of? Instead, baseball is only interested in telling us of the existence of the Yankees and Red Sox. People know they exist - we just don't care about them. We care about great athletes, great stories, and colorful characters - not team names. Baseball has a chance to turn the Astros story into a reason for the entire nation to hate watch like the NFL did for the Patsies and, before them, the Cowboys and Raiders. Will baseball do that? Hell no. The 'Stros story will be dismissed so we can continue our countdown to the next Red Sox - Yankees series. Boring.
Even if they did promote the hell out of someone like Tatis, how are you going to watch him when the MLB doesn't show the Padres on any national platform? The game is too regionalized and that's the real problem MLB has as far as promoting their stars and teams. Hell, even trying to watch the regional team requires hurdles. You can't even watch them on OTA broadcasts.

And because of how their TV deals work, I suspect they'll never will be able (or want to for that matter) revenue sharing that the NFL has that would give teams equal footing in competing. They still don't even have a salary cap.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I can see where a hard core fan would find a lot of interest in a mediocre team with no chance. Baseball is a great strategy game and some just love watching it for the strategy and visiting team great players if their own team sucks mostly. Well we could always take pride in our best players...and we had a bunch. It's just sad watching them be way more obscure and not get the headlines they deserve. Tony Gwynn if he'd been a Yankee would have been right up there with Dimaggio andall the other legends in NY. Not here though. Where were all his commercials and endorsements? Mostly local. And it was salt in the wound when he DID go to the WS against, who else?, the Yankees, and they got swept. Another dagger to SD sports and Tony Gwynn's media coverage. SD is a small market and suffers because of it. But a lot of it was on the owners we've had to endure for years and years who were not really truly committed to winning or were incompetent to do so. And yes Red-Sox /Yankees boring....and it's so prevalent the whole sport is boring. The Astros won so figured hey the smaller markets can actually win the World Series. Now we find out they cheated big time to do it and some of their dumbass players are STILL trying to minimize it "oh we cheated in 2015 and 17 but not in 2018 or 2019 so it's being overblown" LMAO Yeah right. They should strip them of their title and haven't done so yet. But it shows that a smaller market team winning is an anomaly. We'll never catch the doggers in our division. And if the doggers have a dropoff, the Gnats will come back again and beat the hell out of the rest of the division. Same as always. The only hope we have is if the stars align and we somehow have a miracle season and overachieve. But that would start with a damn good manager and look who we hired! Some lacky. Just great. I'll leave the day to day watching that team this season to the hard core fans. I just never was a hard core baseball fan, sorry. Football was it for me and that's all gone now in SD as far as pro football. And we'll likely never see it again. Gotta love pro sports.
Baseball has always been lopsidedly in favor of major markets - especially the Yankees. That isn't the reason for the League's fall in popularity.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Baseball has always been lopsidedly in favor of major markets - especially the Yankees. That isn't the reason for the League's fall in popularity.
When I was a kid I loved baseball. Players stayed on the same team for the most part. So there was always an identity. Pete Rose with the Reds, Willie Mays with the Giants, Ted Williams Red Sox, Mickey Mantle Yankees, Henry Aaron and Eddie Matthews Braves (Milwaukee). Now every damn year there are major changes in players being traded and the identity of teams change too frequently IMO. Same happens in football and it makes it less enjoyable for me anyway. Football hasn't lost populartiy the same way. Mostly that's because it is faster paced and folks don't like waiting around for action to occur. The whole world got faster and folks are less patient. Internet is instantaneous....folks want instant gratification.