SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Huge win my Spurs today. 2-1 over the Wolves, moving them up to the 5th spot behind Chelsea. Mourinho is aiming for a top 4 finish to qualify for the Champions League next season.

Reactions: RamAirVA

RamAirVA

El Deano No Es Bueno...
Nov 12, 2007
Depends on the Week
Huge win my Spurs today. 2-1 over the Wolves, moving them up to the 5th spot behind Chelsea. Mourinho is aiming for a top 4 finish to qualify for the Champions League next season.
Personally I think they get there. I don't think Chelsea has the goods to stick.

Liverpool, Leicester, Man City are at least a cut above everyone else.

PS -- Did you catch Champoins League Round of 16 draw? Liverpool got Atletico Madrid, Spurs got RB Leipzig.

SDRay

Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Personally I think they get there. I don't think Chelsea has the goods to stick.

Liverpool, Leicester, Man City are at least a cut above everyone else.

PS -- Did you catch Champoins League Round of 16 draw? Liverpool got Atletico Madrid, Spurs got RB Leipzig.
Since this last response Ram, my Spurs have come back to the Poch days. Although I did like their 2nd half effort yesterday vs Liverpool. Even still, with our Harry kane, I don't like our chances in the FA Cup or Champions League.

RamAirVA

El Deano No Es Bueno...
Nov 12, 2007
Depends on the Week
Since this last response Ram, my Spurs have come back to the Poch days. Although I did like their 2nd half effort yesterday vs Liverpool. Even still, with our Harry kane, I don't like our chances in the FA Cup or Champions League.
No Kane is a killer. Think Spurs have to do something in the January window or they might be in trouble.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018

That's pretty big news if the decision holds up...City are one of the best clubs in Europe, and a 2 year ban would rob some of their great young players from a chance for European competition in their prime years; and the fans who don't necessarily follow the EPL, from the chance to view one of the top club sides in the world. I don't know the details of their alleged FFP violations -Financial Fair Play- but I don't understand how they could be in FFP violations in UEFA but not so in the EPL?!?

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

That's pretty big news if the decision holds up...City are one of the best clubs in Europe, and a 2 year ban would rob some of their great young players from a chance for European competition in their prime years; and the fans who don't necessarily follow the EPL, from the chance to view one of the top club sides in the world. I don't know the details of their alleged FFP violations -Financial Fair Play- but I don't understand how they could be in FFP violations in UEFA but not so in the EPL?!?
Man City? I guess that would end the need for Ob/Gyns and day-time TV. The savings could be put toward the building of the world's largest beer-can tower and frequent aerial Febreezings of the city.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Man City? I guess that would end the need for Ob/Gyns and day-time TV. The savings could be put toward the building of the world's largest beer-can tower and frequent aerial Febreezings of the city.
Of course in order to live in the "City" one would have to get a degree from Man U, where they offer post-grad courses in "Crotch Grabbing", "Distance Spitting", "Advanced Beer Gut for Tray Applications" just to name a few!!

BTW...for anyone interested, there's a really good game between Chelsea and Manchester United at 12 pm PT...This matchup doesn't have the impact on the standings that it used to have, but in terms of prestige, it's still a premier match between two great clubs.

SDRay

Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Premier League hopes to finish 2019-20 season by late July

Major sports league continues to make plans to return. Whether and when that happens remains to be seen.
The Premier League, via Sports Business Daily, hopes to resume its suspended 2019-20 season and to complete 92 remaining matches at approved stadiums, once the U.K. government allows it to happen.
The goal is to return by June 8, with the season ending on July 27. The next season would start less than four weeks later, on August 22.
Lack of widespread testing continues to be the biggest obstacle for the return of any sports, especially those where the players are in relatively close contact and viruses can and will spread like wildfire. And that’s not “doom and gloom” as some who constantly fix their hair and fidget with their T-shirts while not quite looking into the camera would insist. That’s reality.
During a videoconference with reporters last Wednesday, NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith explained that it will be difficult to justify the kind of testing necessary to allow NFL players to return to work if the communities in which their teams reside don’t have similar access to testing. Unless NFL players are quarantined for the full season, they’ll need to be tested again and again and again — presumably, every time they enter the petri dish that is the pro football locker room.
Without that kind of testing available for everyone, the only practical solution will be the Bio-Dome approach. But that’s something that plenty of players won’t want to do, if it means being away from their families for months.
Many more questions will need to be addressed before sports can safely return. Every answer, however, seems to give rise to more questions. So instead of dangerously proclaiming that “we’re going to be fine’ and that “we’re rapidly going back to normalcy” and that only the elderly and infirm should be worried and that it’s time to bring back sports, it makes much more sense to identify the questions, answer them, keep answering all additional questions that come to light as questions get answered, and continue that process of spotting issues and solving problems until a firm plan emerges.
Hopefully, that’s what the sports league are doing, because it won’t be enough to just declare that sports are ready to return. The virus will still be lingering, and without a clear and practical plan players will catch it and they will spread it and if only one morbidly obese college or pro offensive or defensive lineman with a comorbidity dies from COVID-19, it will be game over literally until a vaccine is developed and implemented nationwide.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Premier League hopes to finish 2019-20 season by late July

Major sports league continues to make plans to return. Whether and when that happens remains to be seen.
The Premier League, via Sports Business Daily, hopes to resume its suspended 2019-20 season and to complete 92 remaining matches at approved stadiums, once the U.K. government allows it to happen.
The goal is to return by June 8, with the season ending on July 27. The next season would start less than four weeks later, on August 22.
Lack of widespread testing continues to be the biggest obstacle for the return of any sports, especially those where the players are in relatively close contact and viruses can and will spread like wildfire. And that’s not “doom and gloom” as some who constantly fix their hair and fidget with their T-shirts while not quite looking into the camera would insist. That’s reality.
During a videoconference with reporters last Wednesday, NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith explained that it will be difficult to justify the kind of testing necessary to allow NFL players to return to work if the communities in which their teams reside don’t have similar access to testing. Unless NFL players are quarantined for the full season, they’ll need to be tested again and again and again — presumably, every time they enter the petri dish that is the pro football locker room.
Without that kind of testing available for everyone, the only practical solution will be the Bio-Dome approach. But that’s something that plenty of players won’t want to do, if it means being away from their families for months.
Many more questions will need to be addressed before sports can safely return. Every answer, however, seems to give rise to more questions. So instead of dangerously proclaiming that “we’re going to be fine’ and that “we’re rapidly going back to normalcy” and that only the elderly and infirm should be worried and that it’s time to bring back sports, it makes much more sense to identify the questions, answer them, keep answering all additional questions that come to light as questions get answered, and continue that process of spotting issues and solving problems until a firm plan emerges.
Hopefully, that’s what the sports league are doing, because it won’t be enough to just declare that sports are ready to return. The virus will still be lingering, and without a clear and practical plan players will catch it and they will spread it and if only one morbidly obese college or pro offensive or defensive lineman with a comorbidity dies from COVID-19, it will be game over literally until a vaccine is developed and implemented nationwide.
Not so fast!

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Bundesliga is back today!

I'm currently watching the game between Dortmund and Schalke which just started 10 mins ago...there are 6 games slated for today and 2 more for tomorrow.
It's going to take a while to get used to the empty stadiums and the zero fan noise, but I'm enjoying the football!

Think I'll check out Hoffenheim vs. Herta Berlin game!!

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
For anyone that may be interested, there is a big game in the Bundesliga today at 12:30 pm EST.

No. 1 Bayern Munich is facing No. 2 Borussia Dortmund!

The German League has seen a marked increase in goals since it's return 10 days ago...and this match between the two heavyweights is likely going to be a high scoring affair.

If you enjoy soccer, like I do, this will be joy to watch regardless of the score and outcome...but if you're just getting in to the game, this could be one of the more entertaining games to watch, with lots of goals and flowing play!

1st Edit: Halftime: Bayern 1 - Dortmund 0....Dortmund was the better team, but Bayern scored a cheeky goal close to the end of the half!

2nd Edit: Full time: Bayern 1 - Dortmund 0.

Last edited:

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Premier League: How to watch in USA (all times EST)
Matchday 29
Wednesday, June 17: Aston Villa v. Sheffield United, 1 p.m. NBCSN
Wednesday, June 17: Man City v. Arsenal, 3:15 p.m. ET NBCSN

Matchday 30
Friday, June 19: Norwich v. Southampton, 1 p.m. NBCSN
Friday, June 19: Tottenham v. Man United, 1 p.m. NBCSN
Saturday, June 20: Watford v. Leicester, 7:30 a.m. NBCSN
Saturday, June 20: Brighton v. Arsenal, 10 a.m. NBCSN
Saturday, June 20: West Ham v. Wolves, 12:30 p.m. NBC
Saturday, June 20: Bournemouth v. Palace, 2:45 p.m. Gold/Peacock
Sunday, June 21: Newcastle v. Sheffield United, 9 a.m. NBCSN
Sunday, June 21: Aston Villa v. Chelsea, 11:15 a.m.NBCSN
Monday, June 22: Man City v. Burnley, 3 p.m. NBCSN

Matchday 31
Tuesday, June 23: Leicester v. Brighton, 1 p.m. NBCSN
Tuesday, June 23: Tottenham v. West Ham, 3:15 p.m.
Wednesday, June 24: Man United v. Sheffield United, 1 p.m. NBCSN
Wednesday, June 24: Newcastle v. Aston Villa, 1 p.m. Gold/Peacock
Wednesday, June 24: Norwich v. Everton, 1 p.m. Gold/Peacock
Wednesday, June 24: Wolves v. Bournemouth. 1 p.m. Gold/Peacock
Wednesday, June 24: Liverpool v. Palace, 1 p.m. NBCSN
Thursday, June 25: Southampton v. Arsenal, 1 p.m. NBCSN
Thursday, June 25: Burnley v. Watford, 1 p.m. Gold/Peacock
Thursday, June 25: Chelsea v. Man City, 3:15 p.m., NBCSN

Matchday 32
Saturday, June 27: Aston Villa v. Wolves, 7:30 a.m. NBCSN
Sunday, June 28: Watford v. Southampton, 11:30 a.m. NBCSN
Monday, June 29: Crystal Palace v. Burnley, 3 p.m. NBCSN