ESPN INSIDER: Castillo Interview/Article

  • Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast! is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!


#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
Another face appears every few seconds. All these people he hasn't thought about for years. Ms. Scudillo, his high school guidance counselor, who coaxed him to a 3.9 GPA. Christina Labocki, his high school girlfriend. Steve Mucha, his old football coach. Tony Caccusus, his first friend in elementary school. All the folks back in New Jersey who, four years ago, read about him in the Bergen Record under the headline “An All-Around Great Guy.” He sees their faces as he lies in bed in his Evanston apartment on this April night in 2005. Tears flow. What are these people going to think when they hear what he's done?

And what about the members of his family? The 45 who were in the stands for the Penn State game last November. The ones back in the Dominican Republic who watched him play on
ESPN2. The ones who idolize him for being the first Castillo to go to college. When they read the sports page, they're going to find out.

So many already have, which is why his inbox had 40 new e-mails the last time he checked. All were from friends offering support, never asking for details, knowing the level of scorn he's facing now that his name is linked to the most damaging issue in sports. His cell won't stop ringing. Sometimes it's his mom, who's been fielding calls
from people asking, “Is this true? Did he really do this?” Sometimes it's his agent, who's afraid his client might consider suicide. They can't leave messages. Luis Castillo's voice mail is full.

He stares at the ceiling, thinking about the letter from the NFL his mom received, about all the people who don't know yet. I'm done, he thinks. I'm humiliated. I'll never play pro football. I've embarrassed my family. I'm a 3.5 student at Northwestern, a three-year starter, and now I've

tarnished everything.

The words and the old faces cross back and forth in his mind as he tries to sleep.
SEPTEMBER 2, 2004. It's the first game of Luis Castillo's senior year at Northwestern and the Wildcats are at Texas Christian. On the second play of the game, TCU quarterback Tye Gunn steps up in the pocket, within an arm's length of the oncoming Castillo. At 6’3", 305 pounds, Castillo is a defensive tackle with a quick first step who NFL scouts say could be drafted anywhere from the first to the third rounds. He wants it to be the first.

TCU guard Shane Sims stands between Castillo and Gunn. Don't go for it! Castillo tells himself. You're going to get hurt. But he can't stop. After three years of rushing the quarterback, stopping is counter to all his instincts. His left arm reaches for Gunn and Sims' helmet slams into it. Castillo feels a rip in his elbow, something he's felt before. As a sophomore, he'd partially torn his ulnar collateral ligament. He knows he's done it again. He finishes the game, but the next day, Northwestern doctors examine Castillo and tell him he needs surgery.

He wants to redshirt, but Northwestern coach Randy Walker talks him out of it. “We need you this year,” Walker pleads. So Castillo is injected with painkillers before every game, avoids lifting weights during the season and doesn't practice at all. Meanwhile, he checks his Big Ten stats online every week and his ranking is falling as fast as his draft status. He'll finish 36th in the conference in tackles and scouts will rate him no better than a second-day pick. He feels completely lost.

In December, he decides to have Tommy John surgery. But just days before the operation, he reconsiders when he learns the procedure may keep him from working out until July. His agent, Mike McCartney, sends Castillo to Gordon Nuber, an orthopedic consultant for the Bears. Nuber says that, since football season's over, Castillo can
focus on rehabbing his elbow full-time, which should eliminate the need for surgery. He tells Castillo he should be able to lift weights by mid-January. Castillo does some math in his head. Mid-January leaves him a month to train for the combine and almost two months to prep for Northwestern's pro day. “Okay,” Castillo says. “I'll give it a try.”
CASTILLO'S MOTHER, Maria, was 40 years old and eight months pregnant when she flew from her

native Dominican Republic to visit cousins in Brooklyn in July 1983. A few weeks later, her first and only child arrived. Mother and son-Castillo never knew his father-returned to the Dominican soon after and lived there until they moved to Manhattan in 1988. Maria worked 18 hours a day building a hair-products business. Four years later, afraid of raising a child in New York's Lower East Side projects, she moved to Garfield, N.J.

As a kid, Castillo didn't have many friends-he didn't speak English fluently until the end of grade school-but once he hit Garfield High, he quickly became everybody's all-American. All-state in football and wrestling. Captain of the football team. Member of the math society and the National Honor Society. His 3.9 GPA ranked sixth in a class of 270. After graduation, Castillo went back to Garfield-as a Northwestern econ major-and told students how to study, how to compete, how to live. He told them what Maria always told him: “When you look in the mirror,
you must see someone who's a good example.”

But by late December 2004, that's not what he sees. Castillo is in Mandeville, La., training for the draft. Priority Sports, where McCartney works, sends its clients there to train with former LSU strength coach Kurt Hester. Castillo weighs 280 pounds-25 less than at the start of his senior season. He runs twice a day, does yoga four times a week, loads up with creatine. But he still can't lift. Bench presses are impossible because he can't flex his elbow. Nuber had told Castillo he wouldn't be able to lift for

another month, but the patient-afraid his future is slipping away-ignores that advice.

Every day, McCartney calls to tell Castillo, “Listen, you're going to be a top-20 pick.” But Castillo isn't buying. “Mike, don't say that,” he tells McCartney. “Don't say I'm a first-rounder.

Just say I'm going to go in the first day.”

At night, Castillo frets. What am I going to do? The combine is the biggest job interview of my life. I won't be able to lift the bar in front of 300 scouts. They'll torque my elbow and I'll pull back in pain. They'll put a red flag by my name.

And then, one day in January, Castillo voices those fears out loud. “I'm scared as hell,” he tells someone.

That someone, whom Castillo still won't name, gives him some pills and says, “You should think
about taking these.” Castillo does, and takes them. And after that, everything feels better. At least for a little while.

By late February, after the combine, Castillo is surrounded by buzz. He blows away scouts, benching 225 pounds 32 times, eighth best among potential draft picks. He nails his interviews. Scouts tell McCartney that Castillo is a first-rounder again. On April 7, New England flies him to Foxborough for two days of grilling. The staff thinks he's smart and hardworking-a perfect Patriot.

Castillo's flight from Boston lands in Chicago the afternoon of April 8 and before he's off the plane, his phone is vibrating. It's his mom. In Spanish, Maria tells him she got a letter from the NFL. She doesn't know exactly what the letter means, but she sees the word “steroid” and she understands that. Castillo slumps in his seat. The draft is in 15 days. He's done.

Crying, Castillo runs to his Nissan Xterra in the parking lot, sits in the driver's seat and dials his agent. McCartney is at his son's Little League game in suburban Chicago. “Hey, Luis. What's up?”

“I got a letter from the league,” Castillo says. “I tested positive.” McCartney hears his client crying.
He tries humor. “I guess you're not going to be a first-rounder.” Castillo chuckles, but that night he doesn't sleep. All these faces flashing in his head, all these calls from McCartney making sure he's not suicidal. The next day, he and McCartney meet for pizza. McCartney has asked some colleagues how to handle this. If you're convinced he's a onetime user, they said, keep him. “Luis,” McCartney says, “have you ever done this before?”

“No way,” Castillo says. “It was one time. I panicked. I got scared. I was just trying to get back to the person I was. I wasn't trying to gain an edge, I swear.”

Castillo says he used androstenedione, made famous by Mark McGwire, a once-legal supplement that becomes a steroid after it's ingested and is

banned by the NFL. He got it in Louisiana, but not from Hester. Castillo won't say who gave it to him or how often he took it or how it made him feel. Only that it worked.

McCartney tells Castillo he can “do what every other athlete does and play dumb. We can blame it on the testing, you can say you didn't know what was going into your body. Whatever.”

But Castillo has other ideas. “I will not do that,” he says. “I'm not going to lie. I made a horrible mistake and I'm going to be a man about it.”