• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

English Premier League

Football/Soccer was my first love, and I've been a fan of Chelsea FC in EPL along with Juventus in Serie A for over 40 years.

Great game today at Stamford Bridge!....Manchester City, the defending Champions and current league leaders are in West London to take on Chelsea.

Actually Man C. can move back into first place with a win or tie, and Chelsea in to 3rd with a win...alot to play for and it should be cra cker of match!

Just saw Shakespeare Pub in San Diego featured in the pregame on NBCSN!

GO BLUES!!

Edit: You can't say cra cker here??

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Tottenham is the club I follow in the PL and Ipswich in the ECL. The Spurs had a nice win earlier over Leicester and sit in 3rd.

Tottenham is the club I follow in the PL and Ipswich in the ECL. The Spurs had a nice win earlier over Leicester and sit in 3rd.
I saw the Spurs game too....They handled Leicester City with Harry 'hurricane' Kane on the bench for most of the game....I had Eriksen on my world cup fantasy team and consider him to be one of the finest players in the world....Still, you gotta admit, on Monday the blokes around the watercoolers will be talking about one game; and it's not going to be Spurs v. Foxes!;)

The only problem I have with today was that Liverpool was the main beneficiary!!

RamAirVA

Curse and Damn You Spanos!
You'll Never Walk Alone, especially when you're top of the table :D

Also pull for Newcastle United...have a customer in Newcastle and they are rabid for United. Will be attending my first Premier League game at St. James Park in January against Man City.

You'll Never Walk Alone, especially when you're top of the table :D

Also pull for Newcastle United...have a customer in Newcastle and they are rabid for United. Will be attending my first Premier League game at St. James Park in January against Man City.
Great game by Liverpool yesterday!...They're exhibiting outstanding form under Klopp, and it would take a monumental effort by another club, along with an unlikely collapse by the team in RED to unseat them...The rebirth of The Swiss Tank, Xherdan Shaqiri, has brought the talents of young guns like Firmino, Mane, and Salah to the next level; and Virgil VanDijk is the stalwart defender any championship team needs. IMO, the only thing they lack is depth and quality on the bench which will gain in prominence as the season progresses in to winter, and better clubs play extra games in other competitions -European and Domestic- they're still alive in. It will be interesting to see what the Reds and the teams chasing do during the January Transfer Window, but the second half of the season should be exciting, regardless. It all starts on Thursday at ManC....Should be interesting!

Enjoy your time at Newcastle...Never been...Too far up north for a Southern Fairy!...Just don't call anyone a Northern Monkey!

RamAirVA

Pulisic to Chelsea for 64m, with a loan back to Borussia Dortmund for the remainder of the year.

Wonder if this means they expect to lose Hazard at the end of the year.

Pulisic to Chelsea for 64m, with a loan back to Borussia Dortmund for the remainder of the year.

Wonder if this means they expect to lose Hazard at the end of the year.
Looks like Hazard is waiting for an offer from Real; which, considering the Blancos recent woes, is imminent but may not happen until the end of the season...It would take more than Pulisic to replace a Hazard!
Chelsea seem to be targeting a player from my other team Juve!...Gonzalo Higuain may join the Blues soon!
Leandro Paredes of Zenit, and Nicolo Barella of Cagliari are also rumored as possible Chelsea targets.

The Aforementioned Real Madrid, have their eye on Eriksen from Tottenham, and if they're successful that may mean an Isco move to Man City.

RamAirVA

Transfer Windows are always fun, aren't they?

I'll be interested to see if Liverpool make a move due to injury issues...and I hope to see Newcastle stay up. I've kind of adopted them as my second as I work quite a bit in Newcastle. Heading there in a couple of weeks actually.

Transfer Windows are always fun, aren't they?

I'll be interested to see if Liverpool make a move due to injury issues...and I hope to see Newcastle stay up. I've kind of adopted them as my second as I work quite a bit in Newcastle. Heading there in a couple of weeks actually.
Hey, that was some game! You got to witness history at St. James Park yesterday...It's always great when your "second" team does your "first" team a big favor!!

Enjoy!!:tup:

Newcastle is suddenly a very lively place to be. While Rafa Benítez’s side were busy beating Manchester City last night, his admin bods were completing a deal for left-back Antonio Barrecafrom Monaco, as confirmed by Fabrizio Romano. Benítez is also licking his lips at the prospect of having playmaker Miguel Almirónin his squad after agreeing a club record fee of around £20m for the 24-year-old Atlanta midfielder. He is expected to arrive on Tyneside today to undergo a medical and finalise personal terms. Mike Ashley parting with £29m for non-retail related acquisitions? Who would have thought it? Oh, and reports suggest they’re also in talks with Benfica over a move for midfielder Andreas Samaris. Heady days for Rafa.

Man City Vs. Chelsea at 11am ET!

Both teams have seen their share of ups and downs this year and will meet again Feb. 24 in the Caraboa Cup final.
City who can still move to the top of the table -with one more game played- with a win, suffered from back to back losses to Crystal Palace and Leicester City earlier in the season and seemed to have righted the ship until they got spanked at St. James Park on Jan 29. Consecutive impressive performances in wins over Arsenal and Everton should mean a return to form for the defending champions, who remain as the main threat to Liverpool. The team is formidable from top to bottom! Pep is a great coach who has rarely taken a miss-step in his life...Aguero is still one of the finest pure goal scorers in the game...David Silva is still a master midfielder...and they have a great, young core of players like Leroy Sane, Kevin De Bruyne, Aymeric Laporte, and Gabriel Jesus....For me, they are the most talented team in Prem. If they can avoid shocking letdowns like losing at home to the likes of CP, they should overtake Liverpool by the end of the season and repeat. IMO, they represent the England's best chance for European success as well. They'll play Schalke in Champions League, first leg in Germany on Feb 20.
Chelsea have serious problems. As a fan, I tend to over-dissect their moves, on and off the pitch; but it's safe to say Maurizio Sarri's honeymoon period is over and he could be in danger of losing the team and ultimately his job. He was not brought in to win the Caraboa Cup -which is by no means a given- and losses like the one in Bournemouth (4-0) or Arsenal (2-0) have them on the outside of the top four, looking in. They got rid of Morata and brought in Higuain in their search for a proven goal scorer and he responded with a pair against Huddersfield, but I've never understood how they've handled the center forward position since Drogba left. Diego Costa, Morata, and now Higuain were all brought in as huge transfers, but the team never found room for Mo Salah, and Romelu Lukaku -they had both- and allowed them to go to rivals! Eden Hazard is a great player, but he's drawing huge interest from Real Madrid and is likely on his way out. Willian is also rumored to be a target for PSG. The team is old and I don't see the infusion of young talent in their current system. Callum Hudson-Odoi is 18 and was a target of Bayren Munich during the transfer window, but Chelsea chose to keep him and sit him on the bench!
Chelsea beat Man City in Stamford Bridge on Dec. 8 (2-0), when I started this thread, but that seems like years ago now! City will be dangerous at home, but both teams are unlikely to tip their hands ahead of their clash in Caraboa Cup final in two weeks. 1-1 TIE???

LOL....6-0 Man City!....Chelsea's worst defeat in Prem. EVER!!

Sarri refused to shake hands with Pep after the game! I think he' gone...Let Gianfranco Zola -one of my favorite players of alltime- finish the season.

RamAirVA

Frankly Spurs were lucky to have not been playing with 8, Dier should have been sent off too.

They will still finish top four barring an eight-goal swing between them and Arsenal.

RamAirVA

Tip of the hat to City. BHA probably scared the piss out of them when the Seagulls took the lead, but they did not crack.

Shame that my Reds got 97 points and only took a single loss, and it was still not enough. It would have won the title hands down in most years. Hopefully they win in Madrid as a consolation prize...sorry in advance Ray :D

Good that the Magpies (Newcastle United, my other team) got a big win to close the season. 45 points after their horrid start was pretty stout...looking good for next year if Rafa Benitez gets some cash to spend in the transfer market, and he stays around... :cautious:

In my opinion, City were the best team in Europe this season, and the well-deserved winners of the EPL title. An argument that is supported by the dominance of English clubs in both European Cup competitions. They play Watford in the FA Cup Final at Wembley tomorrow, and if it wasn't for conceding a 3rd goal with 17 minutes to go -in a game they won 4-3- they could've been in the Champion's League Final with a realistic chance of securing the elusive TREBLE! Of course they're being investigated for financial misdeeds by the English and European FA's.....but what a team!!!

My Blues will be singing the blues for the foreseeable future, as the're also under suspension for the next two transfer windows! They do have over 25 players out on loan, including Pulisic; but they're likely to lose Hazard to Real Madrid and he will be hard to replace. They finished 3rd, well behind the top two, which means Champions League competition next year, which is not necessarily a good thing when you consider the extra workload on a thin squad that has no shot of winning the competition anyway. Sarri has miraculously survived a bizarre season, but even his status is in doubt with AC Milan and Roma as possible suitors for his services. The silver lining is on May 29th Europa League Final against Arsenal....if silver linings even exist in Baku, Azerbaijan!

Last edited: