Edwards: Saints offered fourth-round pick in trade talks

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/15328983.htm

SAN DIEGO - Chargers linebacker Donnie Edwards on Monday confirmed that the New Orleans Saints offered to acquire him for a fourth-round draft pick.

General manager A.J. Smith apparently turned down the offer, instead seeking a second-round pick for Edwards, the Chargers' leading tackler in each of the past four seasons.

Edwards has been on the trading block since spring. Edwards confirmed he and Smith recently met about his situation. Edwards declined to provide details, but it's believed that Smith was unhappy that Edwards repeatedly asked for a contract extension leading up to this season, the last one on Edwards' contract.

Electric Chair

May 23, 2006
Edwards declined to provide details my ass. Ok, maybe this once, but the guy hasn't been able to shut his mouth all offseason. Take the fourth rounder and be done with it AJ.

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
exodus said:
That's all they'd give up for Donnie? That's kind of sad.
What's sad is that the Patriots sign Junior for a year or two, instead of going after Donnie.

Maybe the Pats didn't want to give up a pick, but think how Donnie feels, knowing that some wrecked LB got an offer a few days after "retiring" by the 3-time World Champs, and all he himself is worth to just one or two crappy teams is a fourth rounder. :icon_mrgreen:

SanDiegoRon

BoltTalker
Jan 13, 2006
IF AJ gets a second for Donnie, he IS GAWD!!!

another 3rd would be awesome this year (package em all up for Calvin)... :yes:

a 4th would be more depth and developmental....

it's soooooooooo nice having our 4ths being problematic on making the team.... :icon_eek: as opposed to starters... :icon_mrgreen:

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
SanDiegoRon said:
IF AJ gets a second for Donnie, he IS GAWD!!!

another 3rd would be awesome this year (package em all up for Calvin)... :yes:

a 4th would be more depth and developmental....

it's soooooooooo nice having our 4ths being problematic on making the team.... :icon_eek: as opposed to starters... :icon_mrgreen:
I bet they settle on a THIRD.

That would give us (3) Third Round draft picks next year (includes the Brees comp pick). :tup:

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
Trumpet_Man said:

That would give us (3) Third Round draft picks next year (includes the Brees comp pick). :tup:
I think AJ might be trying to wrangle a conditional deal like the following:

1.) 2007 4th round draft pick for Donnie Edwards

2.) If Donnie leads his new team in tackles, it elevates to a 2007 3rd round pick.

3.) Furthermore, if Donnie makes the NFC Pro Bowl roster in Febuary 2007, it elevates even further to a 2007 2nd round pick.

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
WonderSlug said:
I think AJ might be trying to wrangle a conditional deal like the following:

1.) 2007 4th round draft pick for Donnie Edwards

2.) If Donnie leads his new team in tackles, it elevates to a 2007 3rd round pick.

3.) Furthermore, if Donnie makes the NFC Pro Bowl roster in Febuary 2007, it elevates even further to a 2007 2nd round pick.
A.J needs to get a THIRD. That is what we paid for Oben and Mc Cardell. Both are on the wrong side of thirty yet we paid the price.

turbo_turtle

In Disguise
Aug 2, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:

If that can go through then we can package two of them to get into the second round again to have 2 2nd round draft picks so donnie can give us the second that AJ wants and that is my opinion.:yes: :tup:

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
turbo_turtle said:
If that can go through then we can package two of them to get into the second round again to have 2 2nd round draft picks so donnie can give us the second that AJ wants and that is my opinion.:yes: :tup:
That is exactly what I would do. Package those bad boys and trade up to pillage the draft. :tup:

RMANCIL

Mar 13, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:
A.J needs to get a THIRD. That is what we paid for Oben and Mc Cardell. Both are on the wrong side of thirty yet we paid the price.

He will get it before opeing day ,I don't see any other options for the Saints at this point.

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
Trumpet_Man said:
Take the 4th with the 3rd round conditional on Donnie leading the team in tackles.

The way the Saints players tackle, Donnie only needs to be 75% effective of what he was even in 2002 to make that mark. :lol:

turbo_turtle

In Disguise
Aug 2, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:
That is exactly what I would do. Package those bad boys and trade up to pillage the draft. :tup:
You and my self see thing oh so clearly that it boggles the mind:icon_eyes: so AJ knows what he is doing and will get us the best out out of Donnie ( I want to be mini me T.O.) Edwards and strike some lightning bolt gold for the Chargers. There agian to me AJ is the God of GM'S in my opinion.

MtlBoltsFan

Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016
Jun 27, 2006
2nd round pick and for every 100 yards Donnie gets dragged, the pick gets downgraded by a round.

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
turbo_turtle said:
You and my self see thing oh so clearly that it boggles the mind:icon_eyes: so AJ knows what he is doing and will get us the best out out of Donnie ( I want to be mini me T.O.) Edwards and strike some lightning bolt gold for the Chargers. There agian to me AJ is the God of GM'S in my opinion.

MadMike

Mar 17, 2006
Get the solid 3rd rounder for him. No conditionals. Donnie will probably get hurt this year as a Godsmack for faking it in pre-season.

turbo_turtle

In Disguise
Aug 2, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:
:icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_bow: Oh I bow to you the mighty one AJ smith the God of GM'S give us the best either draft picks or player for Donnie (back niost hurting) Edwards the use to the Chagers are at an end and he needs to move on to greener pastures.

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
turbo_turtle said:
Oh I bow to you the mighty one AJ smith the God of GM'S give us the best either draft picks or player for Donnie (back niost hurting) Edwards the use to the Chagers are at an end and he needs to move on to greener pastures.
A.J. is possessed.

Buddy Nix is a witch. :icon_bow: :football: :icon_bow: :football: :icon_bow: :football: :icon_bow: :football: :icon_bow: :football:

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
WonderSlug said:
Take the 4th with the 3rd round conditional on Donnie leading the team in tackles.

The way the Saints players tackle, Donnie only needs to be 75% effective of what he was even in 2002 to make that mark. :lol:
that's the only reason i'd back a 4th

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
turbo_turtle said:
uh-oh

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
turbo_turtle said:
:icon_mrgreen: Is this a bad thing that trumpie and my self see things in a similar fashion?:icon_mrgreen:
You are outspoken and learning the ways of the jungle and have graduated (just like Junior Seau) to the ranks within the temple.

Welcome.

Koolaid at noon. :icon_mrgreen:

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
turbo_turtle said:
:icon_mrgreen: Is this a bad thing that trumpie and my self see things in a similar fashion?:icon_mrgreen:
Axt and answered!!:yes: :icon_eek:

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
turbo_turtle said:
Rise just like the Phoenix from the ashes and spreads your wings and spread the good word......plus it is a good way to meet chicks....:icon_mrgreen:

Electric Chair

May 23, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:
You are outspoken and learning the ways of the jungle and have graduated (just like Junior Seau) to the ranks within the temple.

Welcome.

Koolaid at noon. :icon_mrgreen:
:icon_rofl:

turbo_turtle

In Disguise
Aug 2, 2006
BFISA said:
Axt and answered!!:yes: :icon_eek:
It is not bad at all to be of like minds and I know that I am crazy but it is me:icon_banana: .

To me I have Blind Faith in AJ Smith genius and what he was able to give us with Philip Rivers and hopefully he can get rid of mini me T.O. Donnie Edwards to allow us to get to be more of a great team that we already are.

I :icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_bow: to AJ and :icon_bow: :icon_bow: :icon_bow: Philip Rivers.

I am a big FANATIC I know but it is what I am.