early evaluation and next year's needs

  • Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

MasterOfPuppets

Charger fan since 1979
Aug 8, 2006
3,284
347
290
46
Tijuana, Mexico
since we have a bye week and not a whole lot to talk about I figured we can try to answer the questions we had coming into the season (I Know it's too early but WTH)

(Using injury report terminology will play 100% chance of happening, probable 75% , questionable 50%, doubtfull 25%, out 0%)

1. Rivers at QB - will play
2. McNeill at LT - probable
3. McCree as S - probable
4. Cromartie an starting CB - questionable
5. VJ at WR - questionable
6. Bingham at backup NT - doubtfull

with that in mind, what do we need for next season?

I say

1) NT
2) WR
3) OL

and not much else
 

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
2,943
199
270
66
LInebackers. Both inside and outside. They'll hopefully be able to get one in free agency and then get the other via the draft.
 

MasterOfPuppets

Charger fan since 1979
Aug 8, 2006
3,284
347
290
46
Tijuana, Mexico
foober said:
LInebackers. Both inside and outside. They'll hopefully be able to get one in free agency and then get the other via the draft.
you're right I forgot that we're losing Godfrey, Edwards and probably Foley

that leaves Merriman,Cooper,Wilhelm and Phillips with Dobbins, Polk Harris as backups
 

glutton4Bolts

BoltTalker
Aug 27, 2006
229
14
100
43
We need a stud at safety to pair with McCree.... perhaps Landry?.... I agree about our need for another NT, but I also think Castillo may be being groomed for the position.... remember, most dominant NTs didnt start that way; they were above average DTs and "grew" into the position.... I think Castillo could be that guy. Foobs is right about the LB position.... Id like to see a stud ILB selected to compete with Cooper, Dobbins and Wilhelm. I think another OT should be pursued as well to bookend with McNeill.... that way Olivea can slide inside, making our OL dominant. I am NOT concerned about WR, we have talent at the position and only need the OL to hold up for big plays to be made..... we may need to select a backup RB in the draft as well to fill in for the Burner after he moves on to start elsewhere.....
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
18,915
1,825
350
San Diego, CA
RG/RT (depends where Olivea is going to end up)
NT (I like Bingham but he needs to prove himself a bit more)
WR (Depends on Floyd and Jackson development)
LB (Wilhelm might leave)
LG (Same with Dielman)
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
MasterOfPuppets said:
since we have a bye week and not a whole lot to talk about I figured we can try to answer the questions we had coming into the season (I Know it's too early but WTH)

(Using injury report terminology will play 100% chance of happening, probable 75% , questionable 50%, doubtfull 25%, out 0%)

1. Rivers at QB - will play
2. McNeill at LT - probable
3. McCree as S - probable
4. Cromartie an starting CB - questionable
5. VJ at WR - questionable
6. Bingham at backup NT - doubtfull

with that in mind, what do we need for next season?

I say

1) NT
2) WR
3) OL

and not much else
1. Offensive line - best player available at right tackle. A swing tackle would be killer but a true lock down right tackle is the ticket. Olivea goes to right guard.
2. Defensive line - Nose tackle
3. Wide receiver (or best offensive lineman available)
4. Kick returner / Punt returner
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
WonderSlug said:
If Kiel continues to play hard, we won't need a safety to pair up with McCree, we'll already have one.
San Diego splits the safety responsibility per Marlon's interview which he also said he did not have a problem whereas most teams have a FS who is "the man" (reads a lot of Cover 2 is planned in Uncle Wade's schemes).
 

RayDahayder

BoltTalker
Sep 12, 2006
242
23
100
65
MasterOfPuppets said:
since we have a bye week and not a whole lot to talk about I figured we can try to answer the questions we had coming into the season (I Know it's too early but WTH)

(Using injury report terminology will play 100% chance of happening, probable 75% , questionable 50%, doubtfull 25%, out 0%)

1. Rivers at QB - will play
2. McNeill at LT - probable
3. McCree as S - probable
4. Cromartie an starting CB - questionable
5. VJ at WR - questionable
6. Bingham at backup NT - doubtfull

with that in mind, what do we need for next season?

I say

1) NT
2) WR
3) OL

and not much else

Some larger breasted Charger girls. Their boobs just aren't big enough for me.
 

Kitsune-udon

BoltTalker
Sep 17, 2006
153
3
90
40
We dont need a KR/PR.. we'll have Sproles back next year. I'd rather steal away a decent ST Coach.
 

turbo_turtle

In Disguise
Aug 2, 2006
7,353
852
350
50
Kitsune-udon said:
We dont need a KR/PR.. we'll have Sproles back next year. I'd rather steal away a decent ST Coach.
Thank very much and please all the Spanoses Fire Steve Crosby I do not like him as a coach so get rid of him please I beg.

Hire a just a good ST coach it will be much appreciated.

I thank you from turbo turtle.
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
Sep 1, 2005
8,654
807
350
49
www.boltsplanet.com
turbo_turtle said:
Thank very much and please all the Spanoses Fire Steve Crosby I do not like him as a coach so get rid of him please I beg.

Hire a just a good ST coach it will be much appreciated.

I thank you from turbo turtle.
When Dom Capers was fired by the Texans, and the remaining coaches' positions were in doubt in Houston, we should have gone after their ST coach, Joe Marciano.
 

turbo_turtle

In Disguise
Aug 2, 2006
7,353
852
350
50
WonderSlug said:
When Dom Capers was fired by the Texans, and the remaining coaches' positions were in doubt in Houston, we should have gone after their ST coach, Joe Marciano.
:tup: Oh HECK YEAH we should have gone after Marciano then just my opinion here, I thnk that our ST would be much better of a unit than what we have now with Steve Crosby as the Coach.:tup: