Donnie Elliott, our 1998 MVP?

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Middle reliever/setup guy for Trevor.
I remember Lance McCullers as our awesome Hoffman set-up guy. McCullers didn't create the greatest go-to pitch in Padres history and arguably baseball history though. Donnie Elliott/Melvin Gordon for San Diego mayor for life! Okay - maybe let Fisher/Dutcher have a go at it as well.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I remember Lance McCullers as our awesome Hoffman set-up guy. McCullers didn't create the greatest go-to pitch in Padres history and arguably baseball history though. Donnie Elliott/Melvin Gordon for San Diego mayor for life! Okay - maybe let Fisher/Dutcher have a go at it as well.
McCullers was Goose Gossage’s setup guy, they even nicknamed him “Baby Goose”. Doug Bochtler was Trevor’s setup guy in 1996, and Donnie Moore was the 7th inning setup guy, but they got rid of Bochtler and moved Moore into the 8th inning role.

Remember when they’d just bring Goose or Fingers in the 7th or 8th inning to close out a game?

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
McCullers was Goose Gossage’s setup guy, they even nicknamed him “Baby Goose”. Doug Bochtler was Trevor’s setup guy in 1996, and Donnie Moore was the 7th inning setup guy, but they got rid of Bochtler and moved Moore into the 8th inning role.

Remember when they’d just bring Goose or Fingers in the 7th or 8th inning to close out a game?
No. McCullers was a kid when the Goose was pitching for us in our famous '84 season - the one with the insane fight with Pasqual Perez and the Braves and the Garv and the Tone making that big, unprecedented comeback against the Cubs in the NLCS. You are thinking of Craig Lefferts - he was the Goose's set-up guy.

McCullers was an important part of our '98 N.L. championship. He was Hoffman's set-up guy. We had some ridiculous record back then when leading after 7 innings.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
No. McCullers was a kid when the Goose was pitching for us in our famous '84 season - the one with the insane fight with Pasqual Perez and the Braves and the Garv and the Tone making that big, unprecedented comeback against the Cubs in the NLCS. You are thinking of Craig Lefferts - he was the Goose's set-up guy.

McCullers was an important part of our '98 N.L. championship. He was Hoffman's set-up guy. We had some ridiculous record back then when leading after 7 innings.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Well, shit, man. I was so wrong about McCullers, and you were right.

So who did I mix him up with? I know Lefferts was our set-up guy in '84.

Who was our set-up guy for Hoffman in '98? I looked at the stats. Dan Micelli? Boehringer? I remember those guys, but why would I confuse them for McCullers? There must have been somebody else I am confusing for McCullers. Another McSomebodyers? Somebody else with curly hair?

Wait. I know what it is. I am old and high.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Well, shit, man. I was so wrong about McCullers, and you were right.

So who did I mix him up with? I know Lefferts was our set-up guy in '84.

Who was our set-up guy for Hoffman in '98? I looked at the stats. Dan Micelli? Boehringer? I remember those guys, but why would I confuse them for McCullers? There must have been somebody else I am confusing for McCullers. Another McSomebodyers? Somebody else with curly hair?

Wait. I know what it is. I am old and high.
Yeah, Wall-Miceli-Hoffman in 98.

There is a Lance McCullers Jr. on the Astros

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl