Dirty or not?

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I think that it is unintentional.

My take is that he tried going over Wentz and landed on him. No matter what a big boy like that lands on you, you gonna hurt.

I can see after watching it again why people say it was dirty, but I don't think he tucked his head to target his neck.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
1. Should have been a penalty.

2. Nice to see the spirit of the Raiders rumbles on.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I guess it should’ve been a penalty if you’re going with the pussified letter of the law. But it was clearly unintentional and no way was he trying to go for the head.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
yeah not dirty or intentional spearing....incidental to the play. The fact his helmet hit the other guys would draw a flag 50/50, some who eat a lot of cheesesteak sandwhiches might have a different take ,,,,,they probably are toxic from the cheese or something. lolz.

• Haha
Reactions: Fender57

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I guess it should’ve been a penalty if you’re going with the pussified letter of the law. But it was clearly unintentional and no way was he trying to go for the head.
“Whoa...sorry about that, Joe. Shouldn't buy them cheap helmets. Ask Lenny Dawson.

5DC2D79E-D80E-4A2D-96AD-F92058D1E12A.jpeg

And they use to be on TV in the offseason. :)

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
I don't know, looks like one of Clowney's team mates (#91) was trying to get him to hold up, or telling him to go easy. Just the force he seems to have used says intentional. He was trying to get that extra dig.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Clowney has always played with a high motor. His job is to get the guy with the ball and especially the QB (he is primarily a sack artist). You can’t just turn off a guy like that. It’s football, they’re supposed to get physical. That play is nothing compared to the Joe Namath pic above. Wentz landed on his head as Clowney was trying to make a play.

Reactions: Gill Man

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Was it dirty? I don't know. It could have been intentional. It also could have been an accident. Defensive players tend to be the dumbest people on the field. Perhaps he had no idea that diving head-first at somebody was dangerous. Or perhaps he isn't a total dipshit or a dirty player. Perhaps, instead, the camera angle and the slowed motion were misleading. Maybe, in real time, he tripped over himself and accidentally and innocently went into the air and landed helmet-to-helmet on the quarterback.

Was it a legal hit? I have no idea. Is it legal to hit somebody helmet to helmet? Is it legal if it is an accident? The NFL seems to make up, edit, and eliminate rules all the time, even within the same game.

Wentz should have slid.

Last edited:

Kwak

May 25, 2006
Dirty, maybe.

Intentional, yes. Wentz was already going to the ground when Clowney intentionally lowers his head into him.

Unnecessary, definitely. Clowney could have easily avoided him.

FiftyFive

Dean Spanos is a traitor!
Nov 14, 2017
It's absolutely a dirty hit. You can see Clowney lowering his head in that clip. The fact that the NFL just ignored it shows how all their talk about "player safety" is nothing but empty rhetoric. The Seahawks have been a dirty team for almost a decade now (reminiscent of the old Jeff Fisher Titans) and generally get a free pass for it.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I'm detecting there are SF Whiner fans on this forum. lolz.

Fouts

Aug 17, 2007
La Jolla, CA
I have no dog in this fight. I see a legit tenacious persuit, then at last minute head turned down to spear what it can.

I have spoken.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I have no dog in this fight. I see a legit tenacious persuit, then at last minute head turned down to spear what it can.

I have spoken.
that's cool, as I said initially, and as it would appear in this thread commentary and interpretation, it's a 50/50 whether the flag gets tossed IMO. He could have been given the intentional spearing and it would not have surprised me just as this non call does not surprise me. The ones that really bother me thus far are the very obvious penalties....I mean SO OBVIOUS anyone can see it from the nosebleed section of the stadium, that don't get called. That would be the Saints/Rams PI non call last year. That would also be the SF/SEA non call interference on Warner , a total no brainer, to at least REVIEW it so they could see how blatant it was. Al Riveron's explanation was totally made up BS.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I wish to suggest something to all Forum members who like to take a chances on their Destiny........
First, see the following 17:39 min. video, so you can see what you are up against.
Then, look at the four Divisional Games coming on TV this weekend.

Now, you need to pick one of the four games AND you need to pick which team will benefit
from a new 2020 classic call. And you have to designate the play and “penalty/non penalty” involved.

Tiebreaker will be the poster who also calls the player or players involved (eg Kittle gets PI call without ever being touched,
Jackson jumps into player who gets called for roughing the passer).

The prize will be determined by how many winners we have.
Also by the cost of postage and the Sky-Moderator's ruling on the results.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
:laugh: THAT should become the new gambling and fantasy and PlayStation football addiction. Figuring out which game of the week or playoffs and which officiating crew screws up the most and actually causes a game to be decided all by themselves. Then you might be able to add it who from the NFL league officiating office, and how, will spin it in the best light so as to ATTEMPT to dupe the viewing public into believing the fakery is actually on the up and up so as to keep drawing lemmings to the TV and media. Great post and great idea! SkyModerater? LMAO.....us amphibians don't normally take to the sky. I'll leave that to Ray or Conc lolz.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Anyone who nails this game exactly and is certified to not be from a future time period, can request from me a small contribution to the charity of their choice.

Per my legal advisor.

Professor Wagstaff :
That's not a bad idea. I tell you what, I'll consult my lawyer and if he advises me to do it, I'll get a new lawyer.

captaind

Waka waka waka
Jul 12, 2007
Tennessee
We know the lowest SB ratings would be for the Titans, Texans & Vikings, so it will be in one of those games. I’m gonna go with exactly what happened between the Chargers & Texans on opening weekend some 7-8 years ago. The 49ers will miss the game-winning FG, but the Vikings will get the “lineman bulled over the center” penalty (which I still have yet to figure out the point of this penalty) and then get another chance 5 yards closer & seal the victory.

Shouldn’t this have its own thread?

FiftyFive

Dean Spanos is a traitor!
Nov 14, 2017
If it were some scrub going helmet to helmet with Brady, what would the fine be?
Never mind fines, there'd be rule changes (like what happened after the Bernard Pollard play in 2008). The NFL cares about player safety when it's someone like Brady, but they don't give a shit about the rest of the league.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Never mind fines, there'd be rule changes (like what happened after the Bernard Pollard play in 2008). The NFL cares about player safety when it's someone like Brady, but they don't give a shit about the rest of the league.
You have learned well and are clearly going to be a better leader of the It's Rigged Movement (IRM) than I ever was. Keep telling it like it is, or at least how it seems.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
We know the lowest SB ratings would be for the Titans, Texans & Vikings, so it will be in one of those games. I’m gonna go with exactly what happened between the Chargers & Texans on opening weekend some 7-8 years ago. The 49ers will miss the game-winning FG, but the Vikings will get the “lineman bulled over the center” penalty (which I still have yet to figure out the point of this penalty) and then get another chance 5 yards closer & seal the victory.

Shouldn’t this have its own thread?
Yes.