Did Anyone Catch Army-Mich. Yesterday? Football going down the tubes.

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I could not believe the replay they used to determine an Army defender had committed a 'targeting' penalty and ejected the guy. The announcers disagreed with the ruling. I thought it was absolutely absurd. In realtime AND on replay.....it looked obvious it was incidental contact. The defender had zero intention of trageting or headhunting the ball carrier. And that brings up the whole problem of using replay to make that determination.

In real time, ie when the game is going 100mph, intent is very difficult to determine and is mostly a judgement call with a few exceptions. In this case they used SLOW MOTION to figure out if the guy was intending to hit first with the helmet. Even with slo-mo I thought , as did the announcers, that it was completely indeterminate, ie definitely not worthy of overruling the non call on the field.

This is what football is coming to. Ridiculous judgement calls by officials on replay that are completely controversial and which end up determining the outcome of games. All this in an effort to protect players from injury. They are steadily ruining the game because of these dumbass rules to keep players 'safe'. The game is not supposed to be 'safe'.....you cannot eliminate injury without changing the game completely and making it something else. Why not just play flag football? How about that? Army should have won that game....too bad they barely missed a 48 FG in regulation at the end of the game that would have won it. And they had it in OT too and took UM two OT's to win. UM way overrated. 7th in the nation my ass. They couldn't beat the 7th best team in the SEC if the officials tried to hand it to them as they did yesterday.

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Saw the first half but missed that play. Will need to rewatch. Even with that, Army almost pulled off an upset in a great game. What all football leagues need to adopt is the CFL reply rule. You can pretty much challenge everything including non calls.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Saw the first half but missed that play. Will need to rewatch. Even with that, Army almost pulled off an upset in a great game. What all football leagues need to adopt is the CFL reply rule. You can pretty much challenge everything including non calls.
There was no challenge by UM I'm aware of to initiate that fiasco yesterday. I think the officials took it upon themselves to do a replay analysis. If your CFL rules would allow Army to challenge the stupid call on the replay and they had competent analysts ( hell even amateur officials as the announcers were and saw what everyone else did)then hell yeah I'd be in favor of challenging that stupid replay ruling.

But to begin with that whole rule is subjective most of the time. You could analyze it for the whole 60 minutes and get opinions either way in most cases. And you cannot determine intent at 100mph. The game is not played in slow motion as they dumbass officials would like it to be.

Actualy I think replay has ruined the game. Just go back to no replays at all. It was initially intended to let audiences enjoy the game in slow motion. Eff that. The game is 100mph. Then they used it to start controlling games and allow challenges which further interrupted the flow of the original game. They are using replay as a crutch for incompetent officiating. The solution is to get very professional full time officials who know what they are doing and make minimal mistakes.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
All judgements in professional football by referees have always been at 100% real time and subjective. For decades. Some calls were clearly poor, some clearly missed. But now you have rules upon rules of “intent” and “targeting” and “protection” (can't hit a quarterback below the waist, etc.). Terrible rules intended to protect the League from 'bad optics’ and gambling oversight.

Now you add replays and calls on non calls.....yes, both college and pro game are down the tubes. No going back.

Reactions: Gill Man

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Replay ain't going away. It's there perfect tool for leagues (pro or otherwise) to influence the outcome of games.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Replay ain't going away. It's there perfect tool for leagues (pro or otherwise) to influence the outcome of games.
How about replays only at the ref, decision?
If he thinks he needs it, fine. If there are bad plays, no replays, you get better referees.

Let the refs decide, move game along.