Deion Sanders Says Too Many Players Being Admitted to Pro Football Hall of Fame

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006

Deion Sanders doesn't think the Pro Football Hall of Fame is exclusive enough.

While speaking on the Dan Patrick Show radio show, the 2011 inductee said the Hall is letting too many players in these days (h/t/ Pro Football Talk):

"What is a Hall of Famer now? Is it a guy who played a long time? It's so skewed now. Once upon a time, a Hall of Famer was a player who changed the darn game, who made you want to reach in your pocket and pay your admission to see that guy play. That's not a Hall of Famer anymore. Every Tom, Dick and Harry, you're a Hall of Famer, you're a Hall of Famer, you're a Hall of Famer. They let everybody in this thing. It's not exclusive anymore. And I don't like it."

When Patrick asked if Sanders thought the recently retired Eli Manning deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame, the former cornerback simply responded by saying: "You get the point."

As of 2019, the Pro Football Hall of Fame boast 326 members. By comparison, the Basketball Hall of Fame has 407 members, the Baseball Hall of Fame has 333 members and the Hockey Hall of Fame has 411 members.

The NFL has inducted at least six new members in each class since 2006. That's where Sanders feels things have gone too far.

"It should be based on, 'Are you that guy?'" Sanders said. "Not just because we have to meet a quota."

While Sanders isn't necessarily wrong there, looking at the seven members of the NFL Hall of Fame who were inducted alongside him in 2011—Marshall Faulk, Richard Dent, Shannon Sharpe, Ed Sabol, Les Richter and Chris Hanburger—it's hard to argue any of them aren't worthy of induction.

The case of Manning, of course, is a bit more complicated.

While his regular-season success isn't as notable, the resume Manning put together in the playoffs is hard to understate. He executed two miraculous plays in two separate Super Bowl games to beat the New England Patriots.

The debate over whether or not Manning belongs in Canton, Ohio, will rage on in perpetuity, regardless of if he gets in or not.

Sanders has drawn his line in the sand in that battle already—and the battles of all future Hall of Fame classes to come.

Reactions: SDRay

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I agree with the notion that there are too many Hall of Famers. Guys are getting elected because they have some notion they always have to elect six. This leaves deserving guys like Coryell out.

The argument about Eli, however is interesting. Take away those two clutch Super Bowl plays and he is most definitely not even in the conversation. But doesn’t the word “Fame” in “Hall of Fame” mean anything? Those two clutch plays were pretty damn famous IMO. It’s similar to Joe Namath - on his career alone, minus SBIII, he has no business being in. But, because of his boast and backing it up, he’s in. I think he deserves it. It also eliminates guys like Philip Rivers - a guy who basically did nothing but stick around a long time and accumulated stats in a pass-friendly league, without ever accomplishing anything in the post season.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
1. The Hall of Fame is done to promote the business of the game and teams and thereby money.
They have odd rules.
They say Don. Coryell doesn't belong. I think Eli should get in. Why not? It's just an Awards Show.

2. Eli or Rivers can mingle with the past greats.

O.J. Simpson will remain an annual invitee to the Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremonies after his release from a Nevada prison.

Contacted Friday about the possibility of Simpson attending the yearly event, Hall of Fame officials said, "All Hall of Famers are invited to attend the annual enshrinement.''

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
Meh....all members of exclusive clubs want less members once they are in, just like Pamela Anderson’s boyfriends.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Concudan

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Lawn Chair Rules.

The Corporation has won. It's over. I hope Deano gets in. I bet he'd front
the $1 yearly admission fee.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
wrbanwal brings his own lawn chair. He use to bring beer but those
damn teen hoodlums keep stealing it.
That's not a lawn chair, it's Walt's walker that turns in to a seat...
That wasn't a mug of beer, that was his catheter...
and those aren't teen hoodlums....they're 87 year olds on mobility scooters!! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Haha, Deion. As if the Hall of Fame were some special, exclusive, important place. Whatevs, dude. You didn't cure cancer or end world starvation. You and your fellow Famers' contribution to society was just entertainment - kind of like the dude who invented the fidget spinner.
And, if you want a list of top entertainers, you ain't exactly up there with Bach, Van Go, Sammy Davis, Jr., and whoever created Texas Hold'em.

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
That dog won’t hunt.

which reminds me....

A man decides to go hunting

He says to his wife, “Honey, I’m going hunting tomorrow and I want you to pack me a lunch.” She says, “You know, every time you go hunting I’m stuck here at home with nothing to do. How about I go with you?” He says, “I don’t know, I’m up awfully early and I know how much you enjoy your sleep.” His wife insists and so eventually he agrees. The next morning he’s up around 4:00 but waits about a half hour before finally waking up his wife. “Wake up honey it’s time to go.” His wife turns and says “Oh, you know I’m pretty tired, I think I don’t want to go after all.” He says, “Well goddamn it, I just waited and extra half hour so you could sleep in a bit and now you say you don’t want to go?” She says, can you give me just a few minutes more and let me think about it?” He says, “Ok, I’m gonna go check on the hunting dogs, I’ll be back.” He goes and checks on the dogs and comes back. “Ok” He says, “You coming or not?” She tells him she’s too sleepy and would rather not. He says, “Ok since you’ve wasted my time I’m gonna give you another choice, either I get to fuck you in the ass, or you’re gonna suck my dick. I’m gonna finish getting the dogs ready and I’ll be back for your answer.” He goes to finish up with the dogs and comes back. “Alright, what’s it gonna be?” She says “I’m so sorry hon, how bout I suck your dick?” So he whips out his dick and she starts sucking and immediately turns her head and spits in disgust. “Oh my god, your dick tastes like shit!” He says, “Yeah, the dogs didn’t want to go either.”

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Edgerrin James made the HOF. Deion rests his case.
Dungy and Cowher are in, while Coryell is not.
Edgerrin James can give you neither the flash of Barry Sanders, nor the brutality of Marshawn Lynch,
nor the highlight reel of a LaDainian Tomlinson (never mind being a 1/3 of a yard less times 3,000 carries)...
only if it's now the Hall of Pretty Good, does James belong. A slam-dunk "NO!"

I know Eli is a harder case for many, especially those who fetishize rings to an irrational degree,
but sorry: 1/2 of one spectacular play (Tyree's helmet catch over 30/30 Club Harrison) does not make up for a career 84.1 passer rating over 8,000 attempts
(for perspective, Jameis Winston's jaw dropping 30 INTs :eek:this season (=84.3 PR) would raise :rolleyes: Eli's career average...)

And Coryell revolutionized the passing game for what is now a predominantly passing league. The NFL owes Don, big time.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Leslie O'Neal isn't in the Hall. The Hall is a joke. The NFL is a scam. Arguing about who is in that League's Hall of Fame is like arguing whether Bernie Madoff looks better wearing briefs, boxers, or free-balling. Nobody should care.

Reactions: Harryo the K

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
Leslie O'Neal isn't in the Hall. The Hall is a joke. The NFL is a scam. Arguing about who is in that League's Hall of Fame is like arguing whether Bernie Madoff looks better wearing briefs, boxers, or free-balling. Nobody should care.
I watch games for free and fast forward through commercials. How is that a scam?

Now putting that “free-balling“ image of Madoff in my head is a dirty trick.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I watch games for free and fast forward through commercials. How is that a scam?

Now putting that “free-balling“ image of Madoff in my head is a dirty trick.
If you live in an NFL city, part of your money is financing the League. Whether or not that applies to you, the League has scammed the taxpayers out of millions - probably billions.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Football Hall of Fame....killer and convicted criminal and jail bird OJ Simpson...
..still in the Hall, welcomed to come to the annual event.

Baseball, forbids Pete Rose entry to the Hall, citing their sacred rules which failed to stop—twice—the WS Champions, Astros.

Two sports, two “Halls” designed to 'promote' the game.
Two utter failures.

Last edited:

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
If you live in an NFL city, part of your money is financing the League. Whether or not that applies to you, the League has scammed the taxpayers out of millions - probably billions.
there’s 32 cities with an NFL team.....I live in one of 20,000 U.S. cities that don’t have an NFL team.

Is LA paying for Kronke’s stadium?

There’s a lot of revenue earned from football games. Plenty of studies show it’s a net gain for NFL cities, although there’s always an exception or two, some will point to.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
there’s 32 cities with an NFL team.....I live in one of 20,000 U.S. cities that don’t have an NFL team.

Is LA paying for Kronke’s stadium?

There’s a lot of revenue earned from football games. Plenty of studies show it’s a net gain for NFL cities, although there’s always an exception or two, some will point to.
Studies have shown just the opposite.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
The NFL HOF has been devalued and has become a popularity contest. When you overlook men like Don Coryell and Tom Flores, then I lose all respect for the Hall.
It shouldn’t just be about rings, especially for a quarterback. Jim Plunkett has 2 of them and like Eli, has a career .500 record at 72-72. Most of his other stats are average to substandard, he threw more interceptions (198) than touchdown passes (164) – but he does have those 2 rings! :tup:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
It shouldn’t just be about rings, especially for a quarterback. Jim Plunkett has 2 of them and like Eli, has a career .500 record at 72-72. Most of his other stats are average to substandard, he threw more interceptions (198) than touchdown passes (164) – but he does have those 2 rings! :tup:
Like Eli, Plunkett does not belong in the Hall. Unlike Eli, Plunkett will probably be rightfully denied.

Reactions: Concudan

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Like Eli, Plunkett does not belong in the Hall. Unlike Eli, Plunkett will probably be rightfully denied.
But the rings!

I agree about Plunkett, but one could at least make other reasonable arguments for Eli - he retires in the Top 10 All Time in several offensive categories, and he is a Manning!

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
If owners and RB Edgerrin James get into the Hall, yes Plunkett, yes to Eli.....hell yes, to Rivers, too. It's marketing not history. Rush Limbaugh just got the Medal of Freedom. Yes, a medal for being a bigot and racist. And what he thinks of his “fellow” recipients...
In February 2020, Rush Limbaugh said receiving the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom was "less of an honor" after learning it had previously been given to Rosa Parks and Maya Angelou.

And you think someone doesn't belong in a
make believe corporate sponsored “Hall”.
There is no longer a moral center to anything.

Reactions: cocasts

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
If owners and RB Edgerrin James get into the Hall, yes Plunkett, yes to Eli.....hell yes, to Rivers, too. It's marketing not history. Rush Limbaugh just got the Medal of Freedom. Yes, a medal for being a bigot and racist. And what he thinks of his “fellow” recipients...
In February 2020, Rush Limbaugh said receiving the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom was "less of an honor" after learning it had previously been given to Rosa Parks and Maya Angelou.

Who gives a flying eff about Rush Limbaugh? If you want to gripe about him, go to the political forum. Otherwise, Rush and his medal have absolutely nothing to do with the NFL hall of fame.

Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

Political red herring aside, your argument centering around Edgerrin James and his worthiness is a good example of the Hall’s inequities. It’s not the “Hall of Players Who Collected Stats”, it’s the “Hall of Fame”. Eli and Plunkett, through their SB heroics, are definitely more famous than James or Dan Dierdorff for that matter. Joe Namath, who really did nothing other than guarantee, and then led, the Jets victory, is in and I don’t think you can exclude him.