• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Cuban oil renews embargo debate

WonderSlug

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14095881/

Cuban oil renews embargo debate

Discovery of sizeable reserves means U.S. trade ban may finally have a cost

Updated: 4:40 p.m. PT July 29, 2006
MIAMI - Some facts about America’s trade embargo with Cuba:

—It’s been U.S. policy since 1961.

—It has yet to loosen Fidel Castro’s grip on power.

—It has cost America little strategically or economically.

Until now, that is.

From here on out, say a growing chorus of experts, America will pay a price for maintaining its 45-year trade ban with the communist nation — a strategic and economic price that will have negative repercussions for the United States in the decades to come.

What has changed the equation?

Oil.

To be more specific, recent, sizable discoveries of it in the North Cuba Basin — deep-water fields that have already drawn the interest of companies from China, India, Norway, Spain, Canada, Venezuela and Brazil.

This, in turn, has reheated debate in the U.S. Congress and the Cuban-American community on an old question:

Has the time finally come to shelve the embargo — given America’s need for more sources of crude at a time of rising gas prices, soaring global demand and the outbreak of war in the Middle East?

Jonathan Benjamin-Alvarado, an expert on Cuba energy matters and a political science professor at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, says America’s thirst for oil will soon force a fundamental change in Washington’s relations with Havana.

“I’ve always argued that we would keep the Cuban embargo in place until we got to the point where it started to cost us something.” Today, he adds, “we’re almost there.”
Click on link for complete article.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
WonderSlug said:
Sooo... then.. you vote "YES" on lifting the embargo, right? :icon_wink:
I dont see how the embargo has chased Castro out of office. If it dont work, toss it!

WonderSlug

Concudan said:
I dont see how the embargo has chased Castro out of office. If it dont work, toss it!
To me, it seemed like it was a more political move to keep the Cuban refugees in Florida on our "good side".

I mean, come on, we gave China MFN status a few years ago, so cozying up to a Communist power isn't beyond the US' mindset, when it makes financial sense.

Now that Cuba is awash in oil, the "financial sense" will override the embargo in a year or two.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
WonderSlug said:
To me, it seemed like it was a more political move to keep the Cuban refugees in Florida on our "good side".

I mean, come on, we gave China MFN status a few years ago, so cozying up to a Communist power isn't beyond the US' mindset, when it makes financial sense.

Now that Cuba is awash in oil, the "financial sense" will override the embargo in a year or two.
F oil!

Cigars!

WonderSlug

Concudan said:
Get the salt!:icon_evil:
Eh, once we end the embargo, we can import a few hundred Cuban cigar-makers and have them work on the Virginia tobacco fields after burning the Cuban fields.

Then the US will have the best cigars in the world! :icon_mrgreen: