Cromartie to Return Kicks !!!

  • Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
http://www.kffl.com/hotw

Chargers | Cromartie will start returning kickoffs soon
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:13:40 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports San Diego Chargers CB Antonio Cromartie will being returning kickoffs for the team soon. WR Eric Parker currently has the job but Cromartie provides a big-play capability that the team lost with the injury to RB Darren Sproles (fibula).
 

BFISA

Well-Known Member
Nov 16, 2005
41,136
2,142
350
I guess I'm on the fence on this'un, jes not too sure.:icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :unsure:
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
I have been saying to put Cromartie at KR/PR duties but some fans were against it. If the dude can do it and excel - go for it. He is a first round pick for christs sakes and a speedster so rock and roll.
 

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
2,943
199
270
66
the stupidest thing marty might do is let cromartie return kicks. How many charger returners have been injured in the last few years. Quite a few. Do we need cromartie in the nickle and as a backup cb. Duh, yes. Or would everyone be just happier than punch with curry playing nickle and backup cb if cromartie got hurt. Curry by the way can't cover worth sheet in case anyone wasn't aware of that.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
foober said:
the stupidest thing marty might do is let cromartie return kicks. How many charger returners have been injured in the last few years. Quite a few. Do we need cromartie in the nickle and as a backup cb. Duh, yes. Or would everyone be just happier than punch with curry playing nickle and backup cb if cromartie got hurt. Curry by the way can't cover worth sheet in case anyone wasn't aware of that.

Dante Hall and Mel whatshisname that did it for years and survived.
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
55,958
3,696
350
foober said:
the stupidest thing marty might do is let cromartie return kicks. How many charger returners have been injured in the last few years. Quite a few. Do we need cromartie in the nickle and as a backup cb. Duh, yes. Or would everyone be just happier than punch with curry playing nickle and backup cb. Curry by the way can't cover worth sheet in case anyone wasn't aware of that.
Sproles didnt get hurt last year did he. I think its a good idea, give Cro some playing time until he is ready to take over the starting job in week 5 or 6.:tup:
 

compubolt

BoltTalker
Aug 27, 2005
823
178
180
Concudan said:
Sproles didnt get hurt last year did he. I think its a good idea, give Cro some playing time until he is ready to take over the starting job in week 5 or 6.:tup:
no, sproles got hurt this year in pre-season doing it
 

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
2,943
199
270
66
Trumpet_Man said:
Dante Hall and Mel whatshisname that did it for years and survived.
have you checked how many charger return people have survived in the last few years. I'm not willing to play russian roulette with a player we really need healthy for this season.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
foober said:
the stupidest thing marty might do is let cromartie return kicks. How many charger returners have been injured in the last few years. Quite a few. Do we need cromartie in the nickle and as a backup cb. Duh, yes. Or would everyone be just happier than punch with curry playing nickle and backup cb if cromartie got hurt. Curry by the way can't cover worth sheet in case anyone wasn't aware of that.
We have extra safeties (Hart, Kiel) who are pretty good so it is not all on Curry if Cromartie goes down.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
foober said:
have you checked how many charger return people have survived in the last few years. I'm not willing to play russian roulette with a player we really need healthy for this season.
That is because the return people we have had were soft or gay like Timmy "the lung" Dwight.

We need return people with some good old american BALLS.

Nobody holds their breath about Michael Turner getting hurt returning the ball ???

If LT goes down and Turner is out - we are pretty fuc't.

If Cro goes down and Curry, we are not as fuc't.
 

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
2,943
199
270
66
Trumpet_Man said:
We have extra safeties (Hart, Kiel) who are pretty good so it is not all on Curry if Cromartie goes down.
No offense. But loosing cromartie would hurt us possibly big time. Were talking a whole year of having him playing d-back and getting better and better. NOt rehabbing an injury while our d-backfield gets picked apart cause the other d-backs aren't as good as cromartie.
 

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
2,943
199
270
66
Trumpet_Man said:
That is because the return people we have had were soft or gay like Timmy "the lung" Dwight.

We need return people with some good old american BALLS.

Nobody holds their breath about Michael Turner getting hurt returning the ball ???

If LT goes down and Turner is out - we are pretty fuc't.

If Cro goes down and Curry, we are not as fuc't.
why put him unnessarily in harms way is my point when we have other guys that can do the job of returning and if they got hurt we could fill it with another. I'm speaking of gordon and perkins.

Having cromartie as our nickle back is a big plus. Without him we'd be stuck with a much lesser coverman. Why purposely put a needed player in harms way.
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
55,958
3,696
350
foober said:
No offense. But loosing cromartie would hurt us possibly big time. Were talking a whole year of having him playing d-back and getting better and better. NOt rehabbing an injury while our d-backfield gets picked apart cause the other d-backs aren't as good as cromartie.
Foobs, would it be any different if he played at corner and got hurt? This is a man's game, and injuries can happen. But returning punts and kicks isnt going to ensure they are going to happen, just as playing corner isnt going to assure they wont...
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
55,958
3,696
350
compubolt said:
no, sproles got hurt this year in pre-season doing it
Yes. But last year made it through the season without major injuries doin it. Its a crap shoot. Injuries happen, thats football. He might get hurt, or he might just put the O in positions to win.

I like the idea and support it 100%. Not that any Charger official is asking me.
 

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
2,943
199
270
66
Concudan said:
Foobs, would it be any different if he played at corner and got hurt? This is a man's game, and injuries can happen. But returning punts and kicks isnt going to ensure they are going to happen, just as playing corner isnt going to assure they wont...
the thing is. How many of the chargers return men have gotten injured in the last few years. Quite a few. How many cb's have gotten hurt in the last few years. One or two but only for a couple of games.

Why play russian roulette with cromartie when we have guys that can do return duty.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
foober said:
No offense. But loosing cromartie would hurt us possibly big time. Were talking a whole year of having him playing d-back and getting better and better. NOt rehabbing an injury while our d-backfield gets picked apart cause the other d-backs aren't as good as cromartie.
No offense taken unless I see you boinking Ms. Trumpie :icon_mrgreen:

It takes a CB at least 4 years to hit his stride in the NFL so if he gets blown out in whatever game due to an injury for the year, oh well. It may never happen as well getting injured. The point is the kid will not hit his prime for another 3 years so why play it safe now?

He is not a starter so the impact is a lot less.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
foober said:
why put him unnessarily in harms way is my point when we have other guys that can do the job of returning and if they got hurt we could fill it with another. I'm speaking of gordon and perkins.

Having cromartie as our nickle back is a big plus. Without him we'd be stuck with a much lesser coverman. Why purposely put a needed player in harms way.
Gordon has a busted wrist and is on the mend. Perkins and Gross are on the PS and are not on the active roster.

The special teams pretty much suck and need a spark for a return man. Cro can be that man. Play him and make him earn his paycheck.
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
55,958
3,696
350
foober said:
the thing is. How many of the chargers return men have gotten injured in the last few years. Quite a few. How many cb's have gotten hurt in the last few years. One or two but only for a couple of games.

Why play russian roulette with cromartie when we have guys that can do return duty.
Wait, how many return men have been injured lately? I think that would be one that pops to mind. Sproles, this preseason. It is a dangerous job, but it is one to entrust to a player who has the ability to make the positive yards.

Last year Sproles averaged like 24 yards on kick offs. That put our O in great positions to strat from. Dont underestimate the effect that has on the team.

Cro is the fastest Charger that I know of, he isnt starting. He can catch the ball, and has pure athletic ability. Lets see what he can do. If he gets injured, well that is the game. But lets hope that doesnt happen.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
foober said:
the thing is. How many of the chargers return men have gotten injured in the last few years. Quite a few. How many cb's have gotten hurt in the last few years. One or two but only for a couple of games.

Why play russian roulette with cromartie when we have guys that can do return duty.
Look at the guys we had returning the ball. They were small and wuss-like.......

Cromartie is huge and fast.
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
55,958
3,696
350
Trumpet_Man said:
Look at the guys we had returning the ball. They were small and wuss-like.......

Cromartie is huge and fast.
Besides, if he gets hurt, he can just cry on it. Cromartie's tears cure anything, at least they would if he ever cried!
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
Concudan said:
Besides, if he gets hurt, he can just cry on it. Cromartie's tears cure anything, at least they would if he ever cried!

I think it is AJ's urine cures cancer. :icon_shrug:
 

BoltsFanUK

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2006
6,885
779
350
27
Kettering England
Concudan said:
Sproles didnt get hurt last year did he. I think its a good idea, give Cro some playing time until he is ready to take over the starting job in week 5 or 6.:tup:
If he's involved in the game somehow be it CB or returning kicks, It will help him develop to the pace of a regular Season game before he become the starting CB. I think its a good idea:tup: :tup:
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
55,958
3,696
350
Trumpet_Man said:
I think it is AJ's urine cures cancer. :icon_shrug:
Really, and you know this how?

Are you that guy he had to put a restraining order on?!




:lol:
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
55,958
3,696
350
I am not trying to convince anyone or say they are wrong. Returning is dangerous. I think Cro could be really good at it. But it is definately not without risks.

If you dont like the idea, thats cool with me, I happen to like it a lot.