Chuggers moving back? (Kaplan)

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Felipe Rios and pesos makes perfect sense. lolz. And re: the relocation fee, I do believe the NFL can do whatever the hell it damn wants to.
I know they can...but one expects that billion dollar business deals have some sort of written contract...
which of course the NFL could always vote to "amend," or something...but it's unfathomable that hundreds
of millions of dollars would be at stake, and nothing written down that says who is entitled to what, when...

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
How much is that relocation fee? Is it 650 million? Deano would have to double down just to bring the team back to SD. That's about as likely to happen as Deano has more than 40 dollars in his pockets at any one time.

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
How much is that relocation fee? Is it 650 million? Deano would have to double down just to bring the team back to SD. That's about as likely to happen as Deano has more than 40 dollars in his pockets at any one time.
Well, I think the NFL must be clear by now that any move to San Diego would have to be with no spanos.
San Diego might re-embrace their Chargers...but they (appropriately) despise the spanos-klan.

I never paid that much attention to the relocation fee...when it seemed like a done deal
and maybe the LAC might be able to pull off the "Fight For L.A." But now I am a little interested
in how that was supposed to work...especially after the seat license fiasco...

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Made up relocation fees nfl
Felipe Rios and pesos makes perfect sense. lolz. And re: the relocation fee, I do believe the NFL can do whatever the hell it damn wants to. The problem is do the owners want to give up their 'fair share' (fair my ass) of the take. All this moving around was for guys like Jerrah who stood to make a fortune off it all with the least risk of anyone. He's a complete bastard for the way he arranged to enable spanos to walk from SD.
Why doesn't the League due to the Chuggers shortfalls, change relocation fee to $400 million for Kroenke and $800 million for Deano?

With the option if he moves, it has a $100 million buyout.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
They will lose a lot more than $650 million over time if the Chargers don't move back home. They were stupid to let the team move in the first place.
Care to explain how the owners of the teams will lose more than $650 million over time when they are recording profits every year? Your hopes dont add up to failure.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Does anyone know (actually know...not just a silly joke) :rolleyes:
if the relocation fee can be undone or partially undone
if Chargers "undo" their move, within a particular window of time?

And with Rivers' 15/14 TD to INT ratio, (in an age that Mitch McConnell could have a passer rating of 92.7)
PR should agree to take his salary peso for dollar... (assuming, of course, the no-brainer move to Mexico)
I would GUESS it could be undone, if the owners all voted for it and a majority passed it. They have the gold and make the rules in the NFL. Is it likely that they would? Not in my opinion.

Further, I think Dean would fight tooth and nail to keep from moving back, not because the move makes sense, and is well done or anything else, but because he would have to swallow his ego and eat crow to do it.

Reactions: Gill Man

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Care to explain how the owners of the teams will lose more than $650 million over time when they are recording profits every year? Your hopes dont add up to failure.
I am saying the move to L.A. will cost the NFL that much money over time. NFL ratings in both L.A. and San Diego are down and will continue to be down if the Spanoses remain in L.A.

NFL profits, as a whole, are not what we are discussing. It really has nothing to do with me so I don't follow your last line.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I am saying the move to L.A. will cost the NFL that much money over time. NFL ratings in both L.A. and San Diego are down and will continue to be down if the Spanoses remain in L.A.

NFL profits, as a whole, are not what we are discussing. It really has nothing to do with me so I don't follow your last line.
You are incorrect. They make money, even in LA.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
You are incorrect. They make money, even in LA.
He's not saying they're not making money but they're not making as much as they could be if the chargers weren't there. Ratings have dropped in LA since they moved there. (LA used to show the best games of the week and got higher ratings).

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
He's not saying they're not making money but they're not making as much as they could be if the chargers weren't there. Ratings have dropped in LA since they moved there. (LA used to show the best games of the week and got higher ratings).
Yes. That is what I am saying.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Deano ain't never paying the entire $645 million......He's a renter and low balling Kroenke already.
So, you can expect some creative financing and some get the hell out of here Kroenke pressure.

May 23, 2019

The Chargers and the Rams eventually will pay $645 million each for the privilege of moving to L.A. The owners who will be receiving that money decided on Wednesday to give the franchises an extra year to begin making installment payments.

As a result, the first $129 million (10 percent from each team) will be paid in late 2020, not in late 2019.
according to Ben Fischer of SportsBusiness Daily, the adjustment was made with no objection from any of there other owners, who will get $4.3 million each in the first year — and $43 million each overall.

Rams COO Kevin Demoff told Fischer that the one-year delay in payment arises from the one-year delay in the opening of the Inglewood Stadium the two teams will share, and that payment was “always designed to match up with the stadium opening.” Rains delayed the opening of the Inglewood venue from 2019 to 2020.

Last edited:

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
43mil to each owner for "allowing" two teams to screw over their fans and move to a city that doesn't want them

FUDEAN

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
It's logical for the Chargers to move back sans Spanos. League would win-win on that one.
First priority is to get Spanos out of LA and please Kroenke. London or Leucadia, just go.
I'd edit that, FIRST priority is to get dean spanos out of the NFL period. Dumbass owners and Goodell caved to the guy.....what, he's loyal???? YGBSM. Loyal to WHAT? HIS POCKETBOOK, and that's it.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
This too make little to no sense either.
You feel the ratings would bring in more money if the Chargers were still in SD? That some how the flow of cash in LA would be greater with one team there rather than 2?

Put your distaste for the team and the move aside for a moment and ponder what you are saying...

What you and Q are saying is that having two teams in LA in going to lessen the flow of money over time, rather than increase it. That somehow the fact of having 2 teams in LA impact the ratings in such away that LA is becoming a ratings sink fro the NFL. Can you provide any credible evidence to back that up, because it is pretty far fetched, or even a fantasy to be blunt.

Again your apparent take makes little to no sense. If the Chargers were still in SD, people would still be saying the NFL is failing because 'television viewership' represented by the Nelsons ratings are dropping, while not taking into account the increase in the ability of people to watch via other mediums. Yahoo Sports has free streaming games weekly, as does the NFL Network app. I read the articles talking about how ratings were dropping because of the protests, or Trumps comments, or because a butterfly flew into the wind south of the equator. All of which I give little credence to. The NFL will make money in LA. Will it be the swimming pools of money Deano wet dreamed about? Probably not. But people will go to the big mega stadium in LA to see games. The Rams will make more than the Chargers, can't say I am heart broken about that, Dean was an idiot and the team belongs in LA, but we didn't have a say in that. So now we can watch what happens.

And your comment about 'the game of the week' is well off as well. I live in the area that gets the LA feed. 95% of the weeks I got to see the Chargers, there are maybe 5 or 8 times in the years before that I recall not being able to watch the Chargers because another games was shown.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I'd edit that, FIRST priority is to get dean spanos out of the NFL period. Dumbass owners and Goodell caved to the guy.....what, he's loyal???? YGBSM. Loyal to WHAT? HIS POCKETBOOK, and that's it.
The fact they caved to Deano really makes me question their intelligence. The NFL, thanks to Pete Rozelle’s visionary strategy to tie the league to network television, is the main reason these idiot owners continue to make gobs of money. Ol’ Pete put in a near bulletproof system, but even Rome fell. Despite Pete’s best laid out plans the owners keep finding ways to shoot themselves in their collective feet.

After they get rid of Deano, they need to get rid of Goodell, then get rid of Jerrah.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
The fact they caved to Deano really makes me question their intelligence. The NFL, thanks to Pete Rozelle’s visionary strategy to tie the league to network television, is the main reason these idiot owners continue to make gobs of money. Ol’ Pete put in a near bulletproof system, but even Rome fell. Despite Pete’s best laid out plans the owners keep finding ways to shoot themselves in their collective feet.

After they get rid of Deano, they need to get rid of Goodell, then get rid of Jerrah.
So if you are in an exclusive group of billionaires, which is over shadowed by a few Jonese, Krafts, and Kronkes... You have to do some massaging to keep the majority from feeling like the big, loud guys are everything.

That is what the NFL did. I think as others have said that the owners thought Dean would tuck tail and stay in SD. But they undervalued the guys ego and willingness to do stupid things to try and be a big dog in the NFL world, and not just the shaking ugliest Chihuahua in the group, as it pees itself in the corner while it growls at it's own shadow.

Besides, Al Davis showed that the NFL cannot stop teams from moving. So rather than make a situation into a news fest, they gave Deano what he wanted. Put him in a soccer stadium and have watched the clown car for the last 3 season.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
So if you are in an exclusive group of billionaires, which is over shadowed by a few Jonese, Krafts, and Kronkes... You have to do some massaging to keep the majority from feeling like the big, loud guys are everything.

That is what the NFL did. I think as others have said that the owners thought Dean would tuck tail and stay in SD. But they undervalued the guys ego and willingness to do stupid things to try and be a big dog in the NFL world, and not just the shaking ugliest Chihuahua in the group, shaking in the corner as it growls at it's own shadow.

Besides, Al Davis showed that the NFL cannot stop teams from moving. So rather than make a situation into a news fest, they gave Deano what he wanted. Put him in a soccer stadium and have watched the clown car for the last 3 season.
All you say is true but if Deano wanted to move why did they force Kroenke to carry his useless ass? He was (and is) free to make his move. Nothing was stopping him from moving forward with Carson, approval votes or not.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
All you say is true but if Deano wanted to move why did they force Kroenke to carry his useless ass? He was (and is) free to make his move. Nothing was stopping him from moving forward with Carson, approval votes or not.
He did not force it.
The NFL did.

Remember, Dean wanted to crawl into bed with Mark Davis and build a stadium. The NFL voted them down. As I recall Dean thought his proposal was going to get the votes until a closed door meeting held by Kronks and Jones changed everything. To move forward on Carson, he would have had to convince Davis to fight the NFL with him, pay legal fees and actually stand up and lead... Something Dean is not known for. Dean is know to be very cautious and conservative in these matters.

So to sooth the butt hurt from the fisting Kronk and Jones just gave Dean, they convinced Kronk to allow the movement Dean or Mark into Kronkworld. I think that was Jones' contribution but that is just my guess.

I don't think Dean wanted it, but I think he wanted the Rams and Raiders back in LA together less. Also lets face it, while I do think at one point Dean tried to stay in SD, the last 3 years here he went scorched earth and wanted out...

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
That is what the NFL did. I think as others have said that the owners thought Dean would tuck tail and stay in SD. But they undervalued the guys ego and willingness to do stupid things to try and be a big dog in the NFL world, and not just the shaking ugliest Chihuahua in the group, shaking in the corner as it growls at it's own shadow.
LMAO......that is a classic! :laugh: :tup:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
He did not force it.
The NFL did.

Remember, Dean wanted to crawl into bed with Mark Davis and build a stadium. The NFL voted them down. As I recall Dean thought his proposal was going to get the votes until a closed door meeting held by Kronks and Jones changed everything. To move forward on Carson, he would have had to convince Davis to fight the NFL with him, pay legal fees and actually stand up and lead... Something Dean is not known for. Dean is know to be very cautious and conservative in these matters.

So to sooth the butt hurt from the fisting Kronk and Jones just gave Dean, they convinced Kronk to allow the movement Dean or Mark into Kronkworld. I think that was Jones' contribution but that is just my guess.

I don't think Dean wanted it, but I think he wanted the Rams and Raiders back in LA together less. Also lets face it, while I do think at one point Dean tried to stay in SD, the last 3 years here he went scorched earth and wanted out...
Exactly my point. The NFL was STUPID to acquiesce anything to Deano. Being a “good soldier” (whatever the hell that means, I see nothing that supports this theory) is no reason to give him a consolation prize. Yes, Dean would’ve actually had to work to get to Carson, and he was free to do so. We all know he isn’t capable, I would presume the NFL knew that too. Well, they reap what they sow. They are stuck with Dean in LA. Fuck them all. That’s why I enjoy watching them burn to the ground.

Reactions: Concudan

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Exactly my point. The NFL was STUPID to acquiesce anything to Deano. Being a “good soldier” (whatever the hell that means, I see nothing that supports this theory) is no reason to give him a consolation prize. Yes, Dean would’ve actually had to work to get to Carson, and he was free to do so. We all know he isn’t capable, I would presume the NFL knew that too. Well, they reap what they sow. They are stuck with Dean in LA. Fuck them all. That’s why I enjoy watching them burn to the ground.
Apparently Jerry Richardson was leading a group of owner who were in support of spanos....had him convinced he had enough votes to win out at Houston. That's why deano looked white as a sheet when he found out otherwise. Jerrah and Kroenke and probably Kraft and others who carried much more weight put an end to any hope deano had of getting his Carson deal with Davis, because Jerrah stood to make a hell of a lot more in the Kroenke deal and he knew Kroenke could afford to build the next greatest stadium. Money talks, BS walks. And yeah Jerrah felt he needed to do something to placate spanos for the ass kicking he handed him so thusly the first option. Stupid. Really stupid. Amazing when you figure the cities of SD, STL and OAK were just pawns in a high stakes game of chess between all the billionaires and ended up getting totally screwed and they completely disregarded the history and roots of the NFL/AFL and the loyal longtime fans who supported those teams for year, especially SD. This is why I'm so soured on ever having a team again in SD. Hell, we'll probably be used for the next 20 years just the way LA was, as leverage for teams wanting new stadiums in other cities.

Reactions: Fender57

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005

That is what the NFL did. I think as others have said that the owners thought Dean would tuck tail and stay in SD. But they undervalued the guys ego and willingness to do stupid things to try and be a big dog in the NFL world, and not just the shaking ugliest Chihuahua in the group, as it pees itself in the corner while it growls at it's own shadow.

Curtis FTW

lol

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
The NFL was wrong to think two teams, maybe not even 1, can make in the LA market.
Fair enough.

But Spanos was allowed to go to help pay for the new Stadium. That is their only reason to exist in the LA market.
Not to build a fantasy new fan base or to allow their mutant offspring to enjoy the big city lights.

Spanos/Davis Stadium was a joke that the NFL wanted no part of. Spanos already has shown he is worthless to the NFL in LA, that it's a matter of time ...maybe post Super Year of 2021....before Kroenke sues him for false projections and ruining Kroenke's investment.

NFL gets their money from TV and streaming contracts in big packages. So the poor ratings in LA don't help. But the greater issue is Spanos is dead weight and a legal time bomb for the League. Pressure will be on to think London, Mexico City, St. Louis, even ...yes, San Diego. He's worthless to Kroenke. And Kroenke is a top NFL dog.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The NFL was wrong to think two teams, maybe not even 1, can make in the LA market.
Fair enough.

But Spanos was allowed to go to help pay for the new Stadium. That is their only reason to exist in the LA market.
Not to build a fantasy new fan base or to allow their mutant offspring to enjoy the big city lights.

Spanos/Davis Stadium was a joke that the NFL wanted no part of. Spanos already has shown he is worthless to the NFL in LA, that it's a matter of time ...maybe post Super Year of 2021....before Kroenke sues him for false projections and ruining Kroenke's investment.

NFL gets their money from TV and streaming contracts in big packages. So the poor ratings in LA don't help. But the greater issue is Spanos is dead weight and a legal time bomb for the League. Pressure will be on to think London, Mexico City, St. Louis, even ...yes, San Diego. He's worthless to Kroenke. And Kroenke is a top NFL dog.
Nobody cares about Kroenke's team either. He should have kept the team in St. Louis, a city the NFL has effed over twice for no reason.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Because he's a talker. And he can't afford to build a garage. And he never wanted to give up equity in team for Stadium deals.
Disney could it easy. Lot of billionaires would want in. Spanni wanted the team fir “his family.” And he has no vision.
And thus a renter......in Los Angeles.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Because he's a talker. And he can't afford to build a garage. And he never wanted to give up equity in team for Stadium deals.
Disney could it easy. Lot of billionaires would want in. Spanni wanted the team fir “his family.” And he has no vision.
And thus a renter......in Los Angeles.
Exactly! If the owners were the business geniuses they like to think they are, they would have told Deano to get fucked and make his own deal himself. He’d still be in San Diego playing at the Q. They (the owners) created this mess by rewarding the “good soldier” Deano.