Chargers, NFL reportedly considering relocating franchise to London on permanent basis amid LA failures

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Sacrificing for your family makes him a good guy, but I still root against him as long as he plays for LA.
What is Rivers sacrificing for his family? He already has enough money to take care of his family for many lifetimes. The only thing he could offer them now is his time, which he would have a lot more of if he weren't playing football. The only reason he is playing football is to satisfy his own needs - nobody else's.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
What is Rivers sacrificing for his family? He already has enough money to take care of his family for many lifetimes. The only thing he could offer them now is his time, which he would have a lot more of if he weren't playing football. The only reason he is playing football is to satisfy his own needs - nobody else's.
He does give his family a significant amount of his time. He coaches his kids sports teams at their school. He used that money to buy a fancy car because he didn’t want to move to LA so he could come home at night to his family. I agree that it sucks he wanted to continue his career in LA, and he should be vilified for that. But to outright call him a bad guy, well what is your rationale? Because he didn’t immediately retire? Or demand a trade? That doesn’t make him a bad guy, it makes him the unfortunate focal point of my ire, and many like-minded fans.

If you want a benchmark for a bad guy, look at the owner of the team he plays for.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
He does give his family a significant amount of his time. He coaches his kids sports teams at their school. He used that money to buy a fancy car because he didn’t want to move to LA so he could come home at night to his family. I agree that it sucks he wanted to continue his career in LA, and he should be vilified for that. But to outright call him a bad guy, well what is your rationale? Because he didn’t immediately retire? Or demand a trade? That doesn’t make him a bad guy, it makes him the unfortunate focal point of my ire, and many like-minded fans.

If you want a benchmark for a bad guy, look at the owner of the team he plays for.
Well yea. Minions aren't as bad as the head slimebag.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
I too have probably typed "Rivers is a good guy" too many times.
I mean, there are numerous things that I admire about the guy.
But let's be honest, his (relatively recent: 2012) hostility to same sex marriage, etc.
is not aging well...

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I think we should be careful in our public lashing of rivers and remember that our main angst is against team satanos.

I know that if my life was made bare to be judged, I would fall short in every category.

rivers is going to do what rivers going to do.

sometimes it’s throwing 3 ints and sometimes its playing with no knee in the freezing cold of New England.

I love this forum and the interactions.

thank you for allowing me to be part of the digital tribe.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Interesting development and new rumor.

On the radio this morning dudes were speculating that it was the raiders who planted the story about the charger move to London(very Davis like move).

timeline:

Monday Vincent bologna reports the story for the athletic.
Tuesday dean’s rant
Wednesday nfl denies rumor
Thursday game and Vincent is let go by the athletic.
Friday Vincent is hired by the raiders to cover the team in Las Vegas.

don’t know if true but major props to the raiders if it was them who planted the story.

Reactions: TTK

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
You'd think if the players were worried about having to go to London they'd try like hell to win a SB this year and that would have motivated them. I guess not. They probably could care less. "Hey Keenan, we're going to London"..... "that's dope".

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
I think we should be careful in our public lashing of rivers and remember that our main angst is against team satanos.

I know that if my life was made bare to be judged, I would fall short in every category.

rivers is going to do what rivers going to do.

sometimes it’s throwing 3 ints and sometimes its playing with no knee in the freezing cold of New England.

I love this forum and the interactions.

thank you for allowing me to be part of the digital tribe.
Some of that Santorum Stew is probably always gonna bug me...

but I've never said one bad word about PR (or any SDC) re. being compelled/forced to play in LA....virtually ALL that blame is on the spanos klan...

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
You'd think if the players were worried about having to go to London they'd try like hell to win a SB this year and that would have motivated them. I guess not. They probably could care less. "Hey Keenan, we're going to London"..... "that's dope".
Players wanna get paid. If London team players get 10% more than the US team players, they'll go. And willingly.

SB....how many SB MVPs signed the next year with a losing team ?
(For mega bucks.). Like the owners, to players cash is king.

Reactions: Gill Man

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I don't know how the taxes would work (and absolutely don't care enough to research it) but couldn't players
conceivably end up paying (higher) London tax rates...perhaps enough to eat far more than a 10% bonus?
I don't think players whose home base is another country (say Canada for a hockey player) are under the location team's taxes. Only say an American NBA player, say from Florida, has to pay higher taxes for games played in California.

But you're right if it's a British team....unless the League covers the tax difference.

Last edited:

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Whoever is pushing a team in London on this board is right.

why would the nfl keep on expanding the number of games in London if no team is ever going to make London their permanent home?

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Whoever is pushing a team in London on this board is right.

why would the nfl keep on expanding the number of games in London if no team is ever going to make London their permanent home?
Why not? As usual, the NFL is just in it for the cash! You can sell more merchandise, broadcasting rights,
etc., the more you get London/Europe watching the NFL. Having a brick & mortar team there is hardly necessary. :p

I truly think this might actually be their only plan: They may be assholes, but the guys running the league
have the most financially successful sports enterprise in the history of the world: They know how to
make money. Surely some folks in the top offices realize that Brits have little appetite to trade the
"Footy" they love, for American gridiron. Sure, you do a game or two here and there to get attention
for your brand...but a team like the Jags, in a 7-9 season...would soon see predictably terrible attendance,
and the NFL myth--that the whole world is super thirsty for Joe Flacco--soon crashes down... embarrassingly.

Most of these NFL oldsters remember well the WLAF, which they pumped a fortune into for 15+ years,
(to 'hook' Europe)...and then unceremoniously buried way back in 2007. The London franchise?
"...attendances slumped to an average of 5,944..."
London monarchs.jpg

Fouts

Go Rams!
Aug 17, 2007
La Jolla, CA
Well, he does get 8 months off, wish I had that much free time for my family, instead of, 5 weeks a year.

RamAirVA

Curse and Damn You Spanos!
Nov 12, 2007
Depends on the Week
Here's a new wrinkle that was just too damned funny to keep quiet.

I am in Costa Mesa this week on business and went into a restaurant this evening for dinner. There was a kiosk by the door that was taking Charger season ticket orders (not kidding here guys) for SoWhat Field next year starting at $50 down.

The restaurant? Hooters on Harbor Blvd, just off the 405 and less than 1/2 mile from Hoag. I was howling laughing as I went to the parking lot.

FUDEAN you spineless POS, you deserve this crap you fucking deadbeat bastard.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Here's a new wrinkle that was just too damned funny to keep quiet.

I am in Costa Mesa this week on business and went into a restaurant this evening for dinner. There was a kiosk by the door that was taking Charger season ticket orders (not kidding here guys) for SoWhat Field next year starting at $50 down.

The restaurant? Hooters on Harbor Blvd, just off the 405 and less than 1/2 mile from Hoag. I was howling laughing as I went to the parking lot.

FUDEAN you spineless POS, you deserve this crap you fucking deadbeat bastard.
Hooters have lowered their standards. Sagging all the way down.