Chargers' Merriman apologizes, will appeal suspension

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2636523

Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman apologized to his teammates Monday, a day after ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that the second-year Pro Bowl player faces a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's steroids and related substances policy.

Merriman said he wanted to take responsibility for what happened, and will appeal any suspension levied by the league, thereby maintaining his right to practice and play until the case is decided.

"Hopefully nobody makes any kind of judgment or anything that basically makes me guilty for anything because nothing has been done wrong on my part," Merriman said. "And I will try to get it straightened out as soon as possible. As of right now I'm not missing any time."

tboltzcali

Sep 14, 2005
I think its safe to cheer him on this sunday!! Again, ESPN reports are bogus.

boltmanbz

Oct 16, 2006
tboltzcali said:
500k is going to put a dent in someones pocket aha

boltmanbz

Oct 16, 2006
WonderSlug said:
That's about what a p1mp3d out Merriman-mobile costs right? :lol:
ahah i know huh, dam who ever broke the story to mortenson is hiding right now, i wouldnt want to give up 500k lol

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
boltmanbz said:
ahah i know huh, dam who ever broke the story to mortenson is hiding right now, i wouldnt want to give up 500k lol
The fine is $10k to a max of $500k so they only told you the "good" number.

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
tboltzcali said:
They're the mouthpiece of their overlords the nfl.

The nfl has to keep up the image that their a clean game. Which mostly they are. I still wonder about the reffing in games though. But the whole thing is to keep a fan base to soak every cent out of us they can. Priority number one. Make money. Which they do. So the looking good image is very important for them.

The funny thing is most of these owners kids and wives are probably nuttier and wilder than all get out. The owners are so old I don't know how much they party anymore.

Chelsea

Nov 16, 2005
ChargerRay said:
This whole thing just makes me sad, sad, and more sad. How old is this guy? 22 or 23 yrs old? He went from what type of life-style to the big time with more money than he has ever seen. And also the glory and the fan attraction. A lot of money and immaturity sometimes equals to simple stupidity. How could he not think he would be caught? :icon_shrug:

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
tboltzcali said:
I just want to know who all burnt up there #56 jersey.
I'm ordering 12 of them now for xmas as presents to folks now that theres a fire sale.

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
Chelsea said:
This whole thing just makes me sad, sad, and more sad. How old is this guy? 22 or 23 yrs old? He went from what type of life-style to the big time with more money than he has ever seen. And also the glory and the fan attraction. A lot of money and immaturity sometimes equals to simple stupidity. How could he not think he would be caught? :icon_shrug:
Thats the whole point. NO way would he want to give up this that he's worked so hard to attain. Thats why something smells very fishy about this.

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
foober said:
They're the mouthpiece of their overlords the nfl.

The nfl has to keep up the image that their a clean game. Which mostly they are. I still wonder about the reffing in games though. But the whole thing is to keep a fan base to soak every cent out of us they can. Priority number one. Make money. Which they do. So the looking good image is very important for them.

The funny thing is most of these owners kids and wives are probably nuttier and wilder than all get out. The owners are so old I don't know how much they party anymore.

:icon_eek: :icon_sad: :unsure: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :icon_party:

Shamrock

Jun 18, 2006
There are vids of Merriman and his lawyer on the Chargers website:

joelbolt said:
You will need to select the RealPlayer option in the "Choose your player and connection" for some reason the encoding machine is chocking and its taking forever to encode the Windows Media files.

10/23/06 - Shawne Merriman
Shawne Merriman talks to the media about his accused steroid abuse.

10/23/06 - David Cornwell
Attorney David Cornwell talks to the media on behalf of Linebacker Shawne Merriman

Chelsea

Nov 16, 2005
foober said:
Thats the whole point. NO way would he want to give up this that he's worked so hard to attain. Thats why something smells very fishy about this.
I'm with ya Foob! This kid has worked his azz off to attain what he has. I know that 22/23 year old boys can be idiots ( I have a couple of them that have made waaay bad judgment calls in the past! Waaaay bad!). Something doesn't seem "right" here. It either lies with Shawnes immaturity and his new found glory and wealth or something else is wrong.

Reactions: turbo_turtle

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
eldwin said:
Merriman was framed!!
I think the supplement folks have some splaining to do. The other thing is he's been taking this supplement for a while and never came up positive. If I were him I'd take the jar of stuff he's been using and take it down to get tested to see if the supplement people started putting this steriod stuff in it.

Chavez

Oct 22, 2006
foober said:
I think the supplement folks have some splaining to do. The other thing is he's been taking this supplement for a while and never came up positive. If I were him I'd take the jar of stuff he's been using and take it down to get tested to see if the supplement people started putting this steriod stuff in it.
Come On. How many times have heard this same tired excuse over the last few years since they've been cracking down on this stuff? Trust me - I really want to believe he's telling the truth but I've heard it too many times before. Didn't Rafael Palmeiro say the same thing and vow to prove his innocence. What ever happend with that?

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
Something KEY to consider is the NFL Confidentiality Agreement has been breached. This was mentioned by the attorney.

This is also a poker chip to exercise as well.

Nobody should know about this event and it leaked out.

tboltzcali

Sep 14, 2005
No one really cares about Palmeiro. But its happend too many times same stories, something is going on here.

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
Trumpet_Man said:
Something KEY to consider is the NFL Confidentiality Agreement has been breached. This was mentioned by the attorney.

Shouted to the heavens if y'all axt me...but nobody has!!:no: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :icon_mrgreen:

Chelsea

Nov 16, 2005
Trumpet_Man said:

There is always a way to get around a law. Perhaps the NFL Confidentiality Agreement was breached. I'm not sure how that would nullify what Shawne did (is accused of) in the grand scheme of things?
edited: If in fact he was using steroids and got his butt caught, wouldn't you find it prudent and relevant that he admitted to it and sent a message to upcoming players?

tboltzcali

Sep 14, 2005
We will see what happens. Hope his lawyer is a good one, i would of asked chispa to represent me.

Chelsea

Nov 16, 2005
tboltzcali said:
We will see what happens. Hope his lawyer is a good one, i would of asked chispa to represent me.
Hey You!
I think I am talkin out my azz right now!:icon_mrgreen:
We have spent mega money on attorney fees to keep my idiot 23 year old OUT of jail! Wonder what that has taught him? Nothing....I myself as his Mom worry more about his shit then he does...:icon_huh:
I have talked to Chispa several times about my kid. She gives me very sensible advice. Sometimes more so than the dude I have been paying for almost five years!

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
Chelsea said:
There is always a way to get around a law. Perhaps the NFL Confidentiality Agreement was breached. I'm not sure how that would nullify what Shawne did (is accused of) in the grand scheme of things?
edited: If in fact he was using steroids and got his butt caught, wouldn't you find it prudent and relevant that he admitted to it and sent a message to upcoming players?
I am sure the attorney can use the breach of contract and breach of confidentiality to mitigate his clients charges pending...if not hire Chispa. :tup: :icon_toast:

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
tboltzcali said:
His lawyer is a power hitter and an architect in drafting the NFL's drug testing programs and has represented several players in the past....

Chavez

Oct 22, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:
His lawyer is a power hitter and an architect in drafting the NFL's drug testing programs and has represented several players in the past....
Did he get any of those players cleared?

tboltzcali

Sep 14, 2005
Chelsea said:
Hey You!
I think I am talkin out my azz right now!:icon_mrgreen:
We have spent mega money on attorney fees to keep my idiot 23 year old OUT of jail! Wonder what that has taught him? Nothing....I myself as his Mom worry more about his shit then he does...:icon_huh:
I have talked to Chispa several times about my kid. She gives me very sensible advice. Sometimes more so than the dude I have been paying for almost five years!
Maybe you should let him find out the hard way, could save you some bucks.