Chargers flexed out

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fouts

Go Rams!
Aug 17, 2007
La Jolla, CA
Of SNF

That sucks, wanted to see a sea of purple in Carson of Poway.

Chargers-Vikings flexed out of 'Sunday Night Football' in Week 15

Gavino Borquez

12 hours ago
The NFL announced that the Los Angeles Chargers’ matchup against the Minnesota Vikings has been flexed out “Sunday Night Football” in Week 15.
The game, which will be played at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, CA, was previously expected to kickoff at 5:20 p.m. PT on NBC, but will now kickoff at 1:05 p.m. PT on CBS.

It’s no surprise that the Bolts were flexed out. Originally going into the season, there were hopes of a playoff contender. But sitting at 4-8, their aspirations of playing in January are basically extinguished.
With the Chargers and Vikings being flexed out, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills, who were scheduled for an afternoon bout, will get the primetime game.
The matchup between Pittsburgh and Buffalo has some significance as both teams are fighting for Wild Card spots, being 7-5 and 9-3 respectively.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Of SNF

That sucks, wanted to see a sea of purple in Carson of Poway.

Chargers-Vikings flexed out of 'Sunday Night Football' in Week 15

Gavino Borquez

12 hours ago
The NFL announced that the Los Angeles Chargers’ matchup against the Minnesota Vikings has been flexed out “Sunday Night Football” in Week 15.
The game, which will be played at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, CA, was previously expected to kickoff at 5:20 p.m. PT on NBC, but will now kickoff at 1:05 p.m. PT on CBS.

It’s no surprise that the Bolts were flexed out. Originally going into the season, there were hopes of a playoff contender. But sitting at 4-8, their aspirations of playing in January are basically extinguished.
With the Chargers and Vikings being flexed out, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills, who were scheduled for an afternoon bout, will get the primetime game.
The matchup between Pittsburgh and Buffalo has some significance as both teams are fighting for Wild Card spots, being 7-5 and 9-3 respectively.
My hope is that some day the 'flex' policy (that allows the NFL to spare it's prime time audience
from being stuck with sub-par football teams)
, becomes known as "The Spanos Rule."

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
My hope is that some day the 'flex' policy (that allows the NFL to spare it's prime time audience
"I'm sorry your game has been spanosed."

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Can't blame them.
I bet Chargers get 0 prime time games next season.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Can't blame them.
I bet Chargers get 0 prime time games next season.
Well will depend on what they do at QB. If they get lucky and have a high draft pick they can go with one of the 3 top QB's. I think they'll be off the board by time the spanoses pick but you never know. Or they could make a trade up.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Well will depend on what they do at QB. If they get lucky and have a high draft pick they can go with one of the 3 top QB's. I think they'll be off the board by time the spanoses pick but you never know. Or they could make a trade up.
Yeah, I don't know.
The impact of the move, and their play this year is making me much more of a casual fan, and less of a die hard.

I fucking hate the Spani for that alone.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Yeah, I don't know.
The impact of the move, and their play this year is making me much more of a casual fan, and less of a die hard.

I fucking hate the Spani for that alone.
Well you wore #17 , and many fans were still 'die-hards' mainly because of Rivers and Gates. They both will have been gone most likely in 2020. A lot of fans will just become more apathetic or even hostile towards spanos because of it. However there are still some guys to get excited about like Bosa, James, Ingram, Henry, but frankly I think it's very very likely Bosa demands out as soon as he can. He will not put up with mediocrity, especially when he sees his brother thriving in SF. He will want the accolades and endorsements of a major market team, and LAC will never be L.A.'s team...that's the Raiders and Rams territory.....at best they are 3rd place. An analogy is the Jets/Giants but even that doesn't really apply. The Giants end up with most of the accolades and endorsements, the Jets not so much (other than Broadway Joe way back). Bosa could want to go to SF, SEA, GB, Dallas, NYG, NO, just somewhere where he's got a shot at the bigtime media blitz. For longtime SAN DIEGO Charger fans, once Rivers is gone that's sort of the end of the line. Spanos will finally reap what he has sown. Really really ill-advised idiotic move....he will never admit it to anyone but you gotta think he's at least got maybe one brain cell that is telling himself he effed up and wishes he hadn't been such a dick.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
So the NFL “wants” the Chargers and Rams in the Super Bowl two years before the new Stadium opens.

But less than one year out, they flex the Chargers out of another prime time game.

They have to work more on this “rigging” of games system.

Reactions: Faded Blues and TTK

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
L.A. needs the Spanos rule.
Another option is a sports bar; all kinds of games to choose from. At the babatr I go to, nobody chooses the Spanos games. It was weird yesterday; generally the Donkeys are on TV - not yesterday.

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
You know your organization is a joke when you're in the second-largest media market in the country and still get flexed out of a primetime game.
And it's an even bigger joke when your team doesn't make the front page of the Sports section in the newspaper, but it does land a minor headline in the Obituary column...

Reactions: Faded Blues

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
So the NFL “wants” the Chargers and Rams in the Super Bowl two years before the new Stadium opens.

But less than one year out, they flex the Chargers out of another prime time game.

They have to work more on this “rigging” of games system.
Maybe the LAC is the NFL's crazy uncle who sometimes needs to be hidden in the basement...

(sometimes you hide someone to protect their image...remember how we almost never saw Reagan in the early 2000s?)

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Maybe the LAC is the NFL's crazy uncle who sometimes needs to be hidden in the basement...

(sometimes you hide someone to protect their image...remember how we almost never saw Reagan in the early 2000s?)
Why would they trot Reagan out in the midst of his Alzheimer’s? I get you hate the GOP, but that’s pretty low man.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006

More like Deano is the gimp who is kept in the basement...

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
You're overreacting. He said himself he didn't want to be remembered that way. I have no problem with that choice. You're imagining the 'hate.'
Sometimes perception is reality. Or at least one should consider the perception they are giving others, that forms the reality of how they are viewed.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
You're overreacting. He said himself he didn't want to be remembered that way. I have no problem with that choice. You're imagining the 'hate.'
I don’t think I am. His wishes on how he’s to be remembered has nothing to do with using his affliction in a negative way to illustrate your point. You’re better than that.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
I don’t think I am. His wishes on how he’s to be remembered has nothing to do with using his affliction in a negative way to illustrate your point. You’re better than that.
I still feel you're overreacting:

Harry basically said that if the NFL was rigging things in a pro-L.A. way,
flexing away from LAC exposure was a weird way to go about it.

And I get that, but my point was simply that because the LAC are playing so horribly right now,
the NFL might actually be playing the long game: Protecting the LAC image by not showing them at their low,
with a plan of maybe featuring them in the future, when they aren't finding creative ways to lose games.

The RR example was simply to illustrate the point. It wasn't a dig at him or that choice.
I think it was a good calculation. Again, there was nothing hateful about it. Yes, I could have
taken more time to phrase it more carefully and delicately to make 100% sure that there was
no way on earth that anyone could take offense, but I figured we're all big boys here.

Guilty of quickly typing a post that could possibly be taken wrong? Sure.
Hate? Nope.

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
The current GOP allows their mentally challenged Presidents to be out in the public.
And he gets to speak....despite not being really able to.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I still feel you're overreacting:

Harry basically said that if the NFL was rigging things in a pro-L.A. way,
flexing away from LAC exposure was a weird way to go about it.

And I get that, but my point was simply that because the LAC are playing so horribly right now,
the NFL might actually be playing the long game: Protecting the LAC image by not showing them at their low,
with a plan of maybe featuring them in the future, when they aren't finding creative ways to lose games.

The RR example was simply to illustrate the point. It wasn't a dig at him or that choice.
I think it was a good calculation. Again, there was nothing hateful about it. Yes, I could have
taken more time to phrase it more carefully and delicately to make 100% sure that there was
no way on earth that anyone could take offense, but I figured we're all big boys here.

Guilty of quickly typing a post that could possibly be taken wrong? Sure.
Hate? Nope.
“but I figured we're all big boys here”

Nice of you to flip it over to me as if I’m the one being “too sensitive”, but it was you that made that comparison, not me. The definite implication is tasteless; the man was suffering from Alzheimer’s, by then it had been at least six years since he announced it. It’s not an easy thing to live through, talking as someone with a direct family member going through it. It’s tasteless. You most definitely could have chosen a better example to illustrate your point. And let’s not kid ourselves, you do hate the GOP, which in and of itself makes no difference to me. So you can see why I, or anyone, could see this as a dig at them through one of their icons RR.

You see why I hate mixing politics into sports? It poisons the discussion.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
If you read comments on articles detailing the Charger loss to Denver, you can see the vast majority of fans
think this is a pitiful franchise and always has been. Even non Ex Charger fans see that the Spanos run team
have always been creative in their last second losses. And most fans think in 2018, everything went the. Chargers way
and now it's back to normal.

Last edited:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
“but I figured we're all big boys here”

Nice of you to flip it over to me as if I’m the one being “too sensitive”, but it was you that made that comparison, not me. The definite implication is tasteless; the man was suffering from Alzheimer’s, by then it had been at least six years since he announced it. It’s not an easy thing to live through, talking as someone with a direct family member going through it. It’s tasteless. You most definitely could have chosen a better example to illustrate your point. And let’s not kid ourselves, you do hate the GOP, which in and of itself makes no difference to me. So you can see why I, or anyone, could see this as a dig at them through one of their icons RR.

You see why I hate mixing politics into sports? It poisons the discussion.
I think you are being too sensitive.
And if it makes you feel better to imagine that I "hate" the party of Trump, go ahead
(but remember that I've never said any such thing...any time you have to make up motives to attack someone, you're on really dodgy turf).

My use of the RR situation was accurate and apt. It was not carefully tailored to be politically correct/super sensitive.
I'm sorry it bothered you...it should be clear to any objective person, by now, that it wasn't intended to offend.
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike RR (I lived near San Francisco in '86 when the A.I.D.S. epidemic was exploding
and RR said “maybe the Lord brought down this plague" because "illicit sex is against the Ten Commandments.")
Not being seen in public because of Alzheimer’s is not something I've ever held against him. Or the others who sought to shape his legacy.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I think you are being too sensitive.
And if it makes you feel better to imagine that I "hate" the party of Trump, go ahead
(but remember that I've never said any such thing...any time you have to make up motives to attack someone, you're on really dodgy turf).

My use of the RR situation was accurate and apt. It was not carefully tailored to be politically correct/super sensitive.
I'm sorry it bothered you...it should be clear to any objective person, by now, that it wasn't intended to offend.
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike RR (I lived near San Francisco in '86 when the A.I.D.S. epidemic was exploding
and RR said “maybe the Lord brought down this plague" because "illicit sex is against the Ten Commandments.")
Not being seen in public because of Alzheimer’s is not something I've ever held against him. Or the others who sought to shape his legacy.
Yet you use it as a negative thing (they were hiding the doddering old fool). And you can say I’m on dodgy turf and being too sensitive, and I can say your post fits into your recurring theme, your “agenda” (there I go trodding on dodgy turf again!), even though this was not a political post. For God’s sake, can’t you just own what you said instead of projecting it onto me as if it’s my fault for being “too sensitive”?

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Yet you use it as a negative thing (they were hiding the doddering old fool). And you can say I’m on dodgy turf and being too sensitive, and I can say your post fits into your recurring theme, your “agenda” (there I go trodding on dodgy turf again!), even though this was not a political post. For God’s sake, can’t you just own what you said instead of projecting it onto me as if it’s my fault for being “too sensitive”?
Again, if I had intended to discuss RR's politics, there's 25 other policies I could've addressed.
I mentioned only the protection of his image in his sad later years. Again, I wasn't trying to be sensitive, just accurate.

I 100% own anything I type. I don't however feel any obligation to embrace made-up motives that someone types about me. Period.

(Honestly, I don't even understand your conspiracy theory: Why in the world, if I had some "agenda" to discredit RR's political legacy,
would I ignore all of his politics and mention the his apolitical final years...? Makes no sense...but again, you can believe whatever you wish).

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Again, if I had intended to discuss RR's politics, there's 25 other policies I could've addressed.
I mentioned only the protection of his image in his sad later years. Again, I wasn't trying to be sensitive, just accurate.

I 100% own anything I type. I don't however feel any obligation to embrace made-up motives that someone types about me. Period.

(Honestly, I don't even understand your conspiracy theory: Why in the world, if I had some "agenda" to discredit RR's political legacy,
would I ignore all of his politics and mention the his apolitical final years...? Makes no sense...but again, you can believe whatever you wish).
Makes complete sense to me. Thanks.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
If you read comments on articles detailing the Charger loss to Denver, you can see the vast majority of fans
think this is a pitiful franchise and always has been. Even non Ex Charger fans see that the Spanos run team
have always been creative in their last second losses. And most fans think in 2018, everything went the. Chargers way
and now it's back to normal.
What went right for the Spanoses last year was the League giving them wins so the League could get some fan interest in the nation's second-largest TV market. After a year and a half of trying, the League gave up on both the Spanoses and the Kroenkes. Neither of those teams will be Super Bowl contenders anytime soon. They are TV ratings nightmares.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Fender is right. Concudan gave us a specific place to talk politics; let's talk about that stuff there and let all the other threads be about what a dickhead Spanos is.
And, when I make a joke about something sensitive like Alzheimer's, and somebody else seems upset and mentions the disease has affected his family, I think it best to apologize and then not bring it up again in front of said person. No Internet argument is worth dragging up stuff like that.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Fender is right. Concudan gave us a specific place to talk politics; let's talk about that stuff there and let all the other threads be about what a dickhead Spanos is.
And, when I make a joke about something sensitive like Alzheimer's, and somebody else seems upset and mentions the disease has affected his family, I think it best to apologize and then not bring it up again in front of said person. No Internet argument is worth dragging up stuff like that.
Fender is correct. Concudan is correct. Politics nowadays is more comical than in the past and it has tried to be a social media, viral, tweet showcase for given agendas. It's hard not to make a contrast or a sampling from the political to ( really?) non political world of the Spanos when the two sons, the ignorance, the lack of empathy is so similar.
We live in/tolerate a world where say a wild, in poor taste tweet on someone Alzheimer’s...if it scores political points....is welcomed.

No, the Forum does not, nor should not go down that road.

Reactions: Fender57

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Okay...message communicated:
Referencing a real situation, as an example, in an entirely non-political way: Too political.
Attacking a poster, wrongly accusing them of hate speech and actually dragging politics into it? Just political enough.

Fuck that.

If that's really how this forum rolls, I think I'll take a break...