Chargers Could Be Without Gordon For at Least 6 Weeks

Concudan

Life is really simple, but we make it difficult
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
That is old, written the day of the game. It was not as bad as initially feared.
Chargers RB Melvin Gordon has MCL sprain, is week-to-week
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25385125/melvin-gordon-los-angeles-chargers-week-week-mcl-sprain

An MRI confirmed that Los Angeles Chargers running back Melvin Gordon has a sprained MCL in his right knee, the team announced Monday.

His status will be evaluated week-to-week, the Chargers said, putting his availability for his team's tough road game against the Pittsburgh Steelersthis Sunday in doubt.

Gordon suffered the knee injury on a reverse early in the second half of Sunday's 45-10 victory over the Arizona Cardinals. He was leg-whipped to the ground by defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche for a 10-yard loss.

Gordon left the field on his own. He was checked out by medical staff on the sideline and later went to the locker room for further evaluation.

Gordon was questionable going into the game due to knee and hamstring issues. He suffered the MCL injury with his team in control of the game, leading 28-10.

The fourth-year player has 802 rushing yards on 153 carries, for an average of 5.2 yards per carry. He also has 44 catches for 453 receiving yards and 13 total touchdowns on the season in 10 games played.

If Gordon doesn't heal in time for the Pittsburgh game, the Chargers (8-3) will turn to a running-back-by-committee approach with Austin Ekeler as the starter and rookies Justin Jackson and Detrez Newsome serving as the backups.

ESPN's Eric D. Williams contributed to this report.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
That is old, written the day of the game. It was not as bad as initially feared.
Chargers RB Melvin Gordon has MCL sprain, is week-to-week
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25385125/melvin-gordon-los-angeles-chargers-week-week-mcl-sprain

An MRI confirmed that Los Angeles Chargers running back Melvin Gordon has a sprained MCL in his right knee, the team announced Monday.

His status will be evaluated week-to-week, the Chargers said, putting his availability for his team's tough road game against the Pittsburgh Steelersthis Sunday in doubt.

Gordon suffered the knee injury on a reverse early in the second half of Sunday's 45-10 victory over the Arizona Cardinals. He was leg-whipped to the ground by defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche for a 10-yard loss.

Gordon left the field on his own. He was checked out by medical staff on the sideline and later went to the locker room for further evaluation.

Gordon was questionable going into the game due to knee and hamstring issues. He suffered the MCL injury with his team in control of the game, leading 28-10.

The fourth-year player has 802 rushing yards on 153 carries, for an average of 5.2 yards per carry. He also has 44 catches for 453 receiving yards and 13 total touchdowns on the season in 10 games played.

If Gordon doesn't heal in time for the Pittsburgh game, the Chargers (8-3) will turn to a running-back-by-committee approach with Austin Ekeler as the starter and rookies Justin Jackson and Detrez Newsome serving as the backups.

ESPN's Eric D. Williams contributed to this report.
That's highly optimistic, read more, from medical journals etc. This 'week to week" stuff is sort of 'half truths'.......yes and no. It's great for strategy in keeping the opponent guessing but in reality he's gonna be lucky to go 100% at 4 weeks. Of course NFL players get the luxury of all the best 24/7 treatment and rehab. But here are some articles that are more realistic:
https://www.howardluksmd.com/orthopedic-social-media/recovery-from-an-mcl-injury/
https://www.michaelgleibermd.com/news/common-nfl-injuries-unrealistic-recovery-expectations/
https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/stephen-curry-mcl-sprain-grade-i-golden-state-warriors-nba

The real question is not the definition of 'anatomic healing time' ie when does the tear actually bridge the gap and the fibres that are torn heal back....but when is the knee fully functional at 100%? The articles sort of address that point. Time will tell.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Gordon, unlike Bosa, is the kind of player who will 'play hurt' for the team. He will go out there and put his body on the line for the team......so he may be back sooner, although not at 100%, provided he is given clearance he is not in danger of causing greater harm to his already injured knee.......not sure they can guarantee that if he's not at 100% stength in the knee...those are supporting ligaments.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Gordon, unlike Bosa, is the kind of player who will 'play hurt' for the team. He will go out there and put his body on the line for the team......so he may be back sooner, although not at 100%, provided he is given clearance he is not in danger of causing greater harm to his already injured knee.......not sure they can guarantee that if he's not at 100% stength in the knee...those are supporting ligaments.
Yeah...generally one respects a guy who will make personal sacrifices for the good of the team...
but Bosa has shown good judgement in not risking himself for corrupt ownership.
I love that the team--at the beginning of the season--made it sound like Bosa would miss about a half hour :roflmao:...and he wasn't on the field until Week 11. :p

Gordon, god bless 'im, probably is a bit more naive about the kind of scum buckets he's working for.
Still, it's probably safe to take whatever estimate the lyin' weasels in the front office give, re. MG's injury time, and double it.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
That's highly optimistic, read more, from medical journals etc. This 'week to week" stuff is sort of 'half truths'.......yes and no. It's great for strategy in keeping the opponent guessing but in reality he's gonna be lucky to go 100% at 4 weeks. Of course NFL players get the luxury of all the best 24/7 treatment and rehab. But here are some articles that are more realistic:
https://www.howardluksmd.com/orthopedic-social-media/recovery-from-an-mcl-injury/
https://www.michaelgleibermd.com/news/common-nfl-injuries-unrealistic-recovery-expectations/
https://www.mensjournal.com/sports/stephen-curry-mcl-sprain-grade-i-golden-state-warriors-nba

The real question is not the definition of 'anatomic healing time' ie when does the tear actually bridge the gap and the fibres that are torn heal back....but when is the knee fully functional at 100%? The articles sort of address that point. Time will tell.
I think you are hoping that this is the case.
The article you linked to was written the night of the injury. Since then he has gone through medical checks to clarify what was done. The night of the game people on TV were saying he was lost for the season. Now maybe not. It was a sprain, not a break or tare.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think you are hoping that this is the case.
The article you linked to was written the night of the injury. Since then he has gone through medical checks to clarify what was done. The night of the game people on TV were saying he was lost for the season. Now maybe not. It was a sprain, not a break or tare.
not hoping for anything,,,,giving you facts is all, maybe you didn't read the articles I posted after that. and no, a grade 2 MCL injury IS a tear, just not as bad as grade 3. He COULD go by 2 weeks, maybe by 6, most likely by 4. I think the PHI tackle was out 4 weeks with his.

But yes you are right, the article I posted was written before the one you posted, so was stating the upper end of a MCL tear that would have been grade 2-3 by physical exam. My bad there.

Last edited:

SDRay

#THFC #F1 #Gulls #Padres #Raiders
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Tomlinson had that MCL sprain for the 07 AFC Championship and couldn't play through it. But San Diego did have capable backups in Turner and Sproles. What does Team Spanos have? Ekler?? Yeah they better bring in another RB.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Le'Veon to Melvin, I’m going to be rich. You oughta take eight weeks. They ain't paying you now.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Yeah...generally one respects a guy who will make personal sacrifices for the good of the team...
but Bosa has shown good judgement in not risking himself for corrupt ownership.
I love that the team--at the beginning of the season--made it sound like Bosa would miss about a half hour :roflmao:...and he wasn't on the field until Week 11. :p

Gordon, god bless 'im, probably is a bit more naive about the kind of scum buckets he's working for.
Still, it's probably safe to take whatever estimate the lyin' weasels in the front office give, re. MG's injury time, and double it.
Agree with this 100%. Bosa is a smart dude for what he did.....he's thinking long term,taking the advice and experience of his family ( and mom lolz) and not listening to the company line of the spanos' docs. MG should do the same...he's got his whole career ahead of him. He did not have to play hurt on Sunday against a tomato can they would have crushed with or without his services. So the coach has him do a reverse when the game is well in hand in the 2nd half, where he's out there on his own and bam. Bosa never woulda allowed himself to play that game. Difference. And yeah likely don't pay attention to the weasels in the front office as to expected time of return for MG on this injury.....of course that applies to most NFL teams.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Tomlinson had that MCL sprain for the 07 AFC Championship and couldn't play through it. But San Diego did have capable backups in Turner and Sproles. What does Team Spanos have? Ekler?? Yeah they better bring in another RB.
Cannot recall what grade LAT had .......just remember the sulking on the bench. He tried one play and then went to the bench with the towel on the head. Of course he had injured it I think just a week or 2 earlier didn't he? No time to heal. The big thing is what level of function is there after how many weeks of healing? It requires rehab to get back to 100% function and RB has to be the toughest to get to 100% I'd think.....cutting and planting and bursting constantly.....huge amount of stress on the knees. I remember LAT on that first run, and the first cut his knee gave way. That was it.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
not hoping for anything,,,,giving you facts is all, maybe you didn't read the articles I posted after that. and no, a grade 2 MCL injury IS a tear, just not as bad as grade 3. He COULD go by 2 weeks, maybe by 6, most likely by 4. I think the PHI tackle was out 4 weeks with his.

But yes you are right, the article I posted was written before the one you posted, so was stating the upper end of a MCL tear that would have been grade 2-3 by physical exam. My bad there.
No bad. Right now it is up in the air. Given the Spani, who knows, they might have amputated the leg and they would say 'Tis but a flesh wound'.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
It's a real shame. I thought he was holding his own in the fight for the title of premier Running Back in LA. Of course, Gurley has more carries and therefore more yards and TDs, but the fact that doesn't get mentioned enough in comparing these two, is that in Rams' spread offense, Todd Gurley only faces 8+ in the box 8.7% of the time! Whereas Melvin Gordon was facing 8+ in the box on 24.18% of his rushing attempts!

I'm not sure he'll be out 6 weeks, but 3-4 weeks is the likely time he'll miss; which at this point of the season is critical. Austin Ekeler is a solid back up and complimentary runner, but he's no MG28, and given the stretch of tough defenses he's likely to face in the coming weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up injured himself. The kid, Justin Jackson seemed to have a bounce to his step and I look for him to help Ekeler carry the load while Gordon is out.

This presents an interesting development as we watch how defenses react to the Chargers' offense without Gordon...So far, they've loaded up the box with 8 or more in 31.43% of Ekeler's attempts, and he's run for 409 yards with a good average of 5.8 yds/carry! So will they continue to stack the box against Ekeler at a higher rate than they did with Gordon? which will give Rivers more opportunities at the play action pass....OR will Ekeler see less defenders in the box and help himself to bigger gains?

SDRay

#THFC #F1 #Gulls #Padres #Raiders
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Cannot recall what grade LAT had .......just remember the sulking on the bench. He tried one play and then went to the bench with the towel on the head. Of course he had injured it I think just a week or 2 earlier didn't he? No time to heal. The big thing is what level of function is there after how many weeks of healing? It requires rehab to get back to 100% function and RB has to be the toughest to get to 100% I'd think.....cutting and planting and bursting constantly.....huge amount of stress on the knees. I remember LAT on that first run, and the first cut his knee gave way. That was it.
His knee never gave way. He felt that he was less effective that Turner at that time. Like Gordon, LA Tomlinson is a slasher and unlike Turner who is that North-South runner. I do think that Gordon is made of Tougher stuff than Mr. "Run Out of Bounds" LA Tomlinson.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
True. A RB has to use his knee much more than some other positions. Cuts on a planted leg, with a MCL sprain would be painful at best.
But I thought LT had a tear?

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I always thought 4 years for RB....WOW...2.7 years.......very hard to believe.......those guys earn their keep.......imagine that is one of the big reasons why teams are reluctant to take RB in the first round, not just that the game has become a passing game primarily. So unless you are a RB who scores a big rookie 1st round rookie contract OR are very fortunate to survive to score a huge contract in year 4-5, you pretty much will be making a career somewhere else.

So every injury like the one MG just has is a potential devastation. No one knows if he comes back 100% ...he likely does based on how those heal but who knows? He already had hamstring issues along with a knee issue, yet was having a very very productive year. The guy is all heart. RB's get abused completely in the NFL. Toughest position on the team maybe outside of NT I'd say.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
His knee never gave way. He felt that he was less effective that Turner at that time. Like Gordon, LA Tomlinson is a slasher and unlike Turner who is that North-South runner. I do think that Gordon is made of Tougher stuff than Mr. "Run Out of Bounds" LA Tomlinson.
I thought he made that run around the right side and something didn't go right, he tried to make a cut and shut it down. Yeah maybe he tore his vagina LOLZ.

Reactions: SDRay

uscAlum33

Ani Hyuntikwalaski
Dec 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Detrez Newsome; The guy is the real deal. I was pissed when they placed him on the practice squad for Justin Jackson simply because they had used a draft pick on Jackson. Detrez newsome is the real deal, he's going to be a sproles, dion lewis type of back for us. His best trait is that he's just flat out tough and has the grit that Danny Woodhead did. I'm stoked!!

Chaincrusher

BoltTalker
Apr 8, 2015
The Chargers have actually done a nice job at building depth at the RB position. They have Ekeler, Jackson and Newsome behind Gordon. Ekeler is very good (at times better than Gordon). He is averaging 5.8 yards per carry this season. Jackson has looked pretty good in limited action (5.3 YPC) and Newsome had a solid preseason and appears to be at least a solid reserve RB option. IMO, the team will be fine if they increase Ekeler's role a little, Jackson's a lot and spot Newsome for a few carries each game. I am hoping that none of the RBs end up with over 50% of the carries and that Ekeler gets only slightly more carries than Jackson.

HEXEDBOLT

Don't like it, lump it!!!
Jul 11, 2006
Shithole flu got me on Thanksgiving day, maybe I should go get a haircut? It's tough one, stay far away from it if you can!!!!!! Think I picked it up while grocery shoplifting for my turkey dinner. :(

Blitzy

Spanos Chargers Troll
May 7, 2011
North County
At 10-6, the Chargies will most likely get into the POs. They can kiss their wet dream of winning out the Divi goodbye because there's no figging way that they're as good as KC so is winning at least 2 games out of their next 5 is decent probability? I don't know because I really don't care and have not bothered to look up their schedule but IIRC, there are Denver and Chiefs on their Dec schedule as well as Pitts this weekend? In any case, my point is that the Bye week will most likely go to KC & the Pats so the other two Divi winners will be Houston and the Charger killers, i.e, Pitts. So as a wildcard they will have to pray that they don't square up with Pitts again in January at Pitts! If the hapless Chargies end up as seed # 5, they will play # 4 and if # 6, they will square up with # 3. Again the permutations are too convoluted at this stage, but case in point being that if they play tough, they may eek this one out and be PO bound.

Risking Gordon to go 2-3 in their 5 games is not worth it to them and a healthy Melvin Gordon will be a better odd defying addition to them in exactly 6 weeks if they make it to the POs. Bottom line, beat Denver at Denver and beat one more (Ravens? Bungles?) via RB by committee and they're in.

#fuckthespanniiis

#RIPJDDA

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: handoverfist

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Clearly this is part of the #SDCurse as he was one of the only players to come out and say good things about San Diego after the move. ;)
OOOOOOOH BURN!!

Come to think of it, so did Perryman...and look where he is now!

Wait, wasn't Rivers always complimentary towards San Diego?...Didn't he choose to continue living in SD and commute to LA?!?:eek:;)

Blitzy

Spanos Chargers Troll
May 7, 2011
North County
To add, just looked up NFL's next 5 weeks for sh*ts and giggles: the Chargies do indeed have both the Bungles and the Ravens on their schedule at "home" if you can call that Carson sh*thole a home :roflmao:. This PO picture may come down to their last weekend stint agains the Donkos but they can seal a PO berth well before that if they remain hot(ish). Looking ahead, I'll have to give the other PO nod to the Ravens as opposed to san Indy! So if by some miracle the Chargies beat Pitts this weekend, they may want to think twice about things because Pitts will end up at # 4 with Houston at # 3. The Pats may fall to # 3 too but less likely. If it all shales out, I'd rather be seeded # 6 than be seeded # 5.