• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers.com - Rivers to play most of first half

SDRay

Let's go Fleet! #GoBoats #AnchorDown
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
#1
http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/rivers-to-play.htm

By Casey Pearce

First-year starting quarterback Philip Rivers is expected to play into the second quarter of Saturday night’s preseason opener against the Green Bay Packers, according to Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer. Exactly how far into the second quarter will be determined as the game progresses.

“I don’t want to limit myself, but he’ll go into the second quarter at least,” Schottenheimer said.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#2
Would Brees be playing into the second quarter ?

Hmmmm....I would think not?

Marty said he would treat Rivers no differently than Brees in the pre-season rotation......it makes me wonder ????
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#4
leisure said:
I wish we had a better backup....Come on Whity step up :icon_evil:

If PR goes down we will have a shot at Calvin Johnson next year :icon_eek:
I would like to see Whitehurst play the 3rd and 4th qtrs with Feeley doing the second qtr.....Let Rivers do one quarter only....

Feeley sucksasss
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
#5
Trumpet_Man said:
Would Brees be playing into the second quarter ?

Hmmmm....I would think not?

Marty said he would treat Rivers no differently than Brees in the pre-season rotation......it makes me wonder ????
I think because it's a home game and it's against the suck-*** Packers, Rivers will be getting more playing time. Marty wants to give Philip as many reps against a crappy defense to get his feet wet, so to speak.

The QB depth is pretty much set. It's only a matter of whether Feeley is the #2 or #3.

I'd bet if it were an away game or it was versus a team with a very good pass defense, Rivers would play only the first several possessions.
 

MasterOfPuppets

Charger fan since 1979
#6
I think Rivers needs a little more practice than only one quarter, maybe

Rivers 1st and half the 2nd
Feeley half 2nd and half 3rd
Whitehurst half 3rd and half 4th
an the fourth QB (do we have one? :icon_mrgreen: ) the rest
 
#7
I saw somewhere that it said Elliott wasn't going to get any game snaps for whatever reason. I guess they are loading up Rivers with most of the plays, then splitting the last two quarters with Whitehurst and Feeley. I wonder if Feeley will school the 4th stringers???
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
#8
LittleTrain said:
I saw somewhere that it said Elliott wasn't going to get any game snaps for whatever reason. I guess they are loading up Rivers with most of the plays, then splitting the last two quarters with Whitehurst and Feeley. I wonder if Feeley will school the 4th stringers???
I think they have Elliott penciled in for the practice squad already.

It will be Feeley vs. Whitehurst for the #2 spot.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#9
WonderSlug said:
I think because it's a home game and it's against the suck-*** Packers, Rivers will be getting more playing time. Marty wants to give Philip as many reps against a crappy defense to get his feet wet, so to speak.

The QB depth is pretty much set. It's only a matter of whether Feeley is the #2 or #3.

I'd bet if it were an away game or it was versus a team with a very good pass defense, Rivers would play only the first several possessions.
I would like those early reps to go the Whitehurst as much as possible. Anyway this can happen would rock.

By the fourth game, Rivers will be playing deep into the 3rd qtr. if not 4th qtr. so I am not as worried about him getting repped to death in pre-season. Whitehurst needs the reps.........bad.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#10
LittleTrain said:
I saw somewhere that it said Elliott wasn't going to get any game snaps for whatever reason. I guess they are loading up Rivers with most of the plays, then splitting the last two quarters with Whitehurst and Feeley. I wonder if Feeley will school the 4th stringers???
I do not think the Chargers want the fourth stringers to school Feeley is the more likely scenario. :icon_mrgreen:
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
#11
Trumpet_Man said:
I would like those early reps to go the Whitehurst as much as possible. Anyway this can happen would rock.

By the fourth game, Rivers will be playing deep into the 3rd qtr. if not 4th qtr. so I am not as worried about him getting repped to death in pre-season. Whitehurst needs the reps.........bad.
Yeah, that's one way to look at it.

I hope Whitehurst plays well enough to become the #2. Feeley worries me as Rivers' backup, "veteran" status notwithstanding.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#12
WonderSlug said:
Yeah, that's one way to look at it.

I hope Whitehurst plays well enough to become the #2. Feeley worries me as Rivers' backup, "veteran" status notwithstanding.

I want Whitehurst as well in the two hole and then for us to steal Cleo Lemon back from the Dolphins. :yes:
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
#13
Trumpet_Man said:
I want Whitehurst as well in the two hole and then for us to steal Cleo Lemon back from the Dolphins. :yes:
I think Elliott becomes our #3 next season. Feeley's a goner.

From what I gather, Feeley's had since last October to learn the Chargers offense, and here, a rookie in Whitehurst who's only been with the team since May, and no NFL experience, is reportedly outperforming him in camp.
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
#14
WonderSlug said:
I think Elliott becomes our #3 next season. Feeley's a goner.

From what I gather, Feeley's had since last October to learn the Chargers offense, and here, a rookie in Whitehurst who's only been with the team since May, and no NFL experience, is reportedly outperforming him in camp.
I still think we'll go on the waiver wire for a #2; t he idea of a shotgun system QB with no experience as our #2 is NOT a good thing. Elliot will be on the practice squad and trust me, he'll be #3 next year for sure
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
#15
PostAnteaterCharger said:
I still think we'll go on the waiver wire for a #2; t he idea of a shotgun system QB with no experience as our #2 is NOT a good thing. Elliot will be on the practice squad and trust me, he'll be #3 next year for sure
I would like to see us cut Feeley and go after Kerry Collins as our #2 QB.

So what if he's a former Raider. The dude has vastly more NFL and postseason experience than Feeley, has started in two Super Bowls, and is a much better QB than him.

If Collins is willing to accept the #2 role, come on down!
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
#16
WonderSlug said:
I would like to see us cut Feeley and go after Kerry Collins as our #2 QB.

So what if he's a former Raider. The dude has vastly more NFL and postseason experience than Feeley, has started in two Super Bowls, and is a much better QB than him.

If Collins is willing to accept the #2 role, come on down!

After the final cuts, you never know, we might find someone better to pick up. As of RIGHT NOW, yeah Collins is the best choice on teh wires. But in late August, you never know who you might find.
 

LT-Express

Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06'
Staff member
Super Moderator
#22
WonderSlug said:
And he hasn't gotten any offers.

He'll likely wind up as the #2 somewhere. Preferably with a team that will make a SUper Bowl run, like us. ;)

LOL!!! I pray to god that he is never our #2.......We wont see any superbowls if that were to happen! Lol!
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
#23
MTLBoltsFan said:
Kerry Collins would be a horrible #2 dude should be out of the NFL he's slow in the head
The Champ said:
LOL!!! I pray to god that he is never our #2.......We wont see any superbowls if that were to happen! Lol!
But you'd rather Feeley be the #2?

Compared to Feeley, Collins is Joe Montana or John Elway.
 

SDRay

Let's go Fleet! #GoBoats #AnchorDown
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
#27
WonderSlug said:
You guys who don't want to drop Feeley and go after Collins, name me one other veteran QB who's available in free agency.
I don't have a problem bringing Collins in to replace Feeley. He's hated in Oakland, but t least he's led a team to the SB.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#28
WonderSlug said:
Yeah, you're right Trumpie. Let's keep Feeley on the roster, wasting space.


:icon_huh:
That is like asking me "do I like this turd or this turd?"

Collins is a drunk worse than me......:yes: and Maurice Clarett's adventures with Gray Goose on the loose.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#29
WonderSlug said:
You guys who don't want to drop Feeley and go after Collins, name me one other veteran QB who's available in free agency.
Nobody but I do not think we need to get desperate either by reaching for Kerry "Tom" Collins
 

Top