Chargering

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I love watching the chargers lose.

second is watching supreme talent on display.

the 4 best teams are playing this weekend and I cant
Wait to watch.

it’s honestly liberating to not to behind beholden to a franchise anymore.

The lost to Jacksonville would have ruined my year. Seriously, that is how sick my famdom was.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I love watching the chargers lose.

second is watching supreme talent on display.

the 4 best teams are playing this weekend and I cant
Wait to watch.

it’s honestly liberating to not to behind beholden to a franchise anymore.

The lost to Jacksonville would have ruined my year. Seriously, that is how sick my famdom was.
The way they lost to Jacksonville, should be admired not ignored.
In The Art of the Loss, Plato descripted the perfect loser, his need for a perfect losing kingdom and the way only any True Loss can be measured is by being Perfect and Turth.
Chuggers do what few, very few, can do. Jets lose, Browns spin their wheels, Dallas tries damn hard but fails, none reach the artistry, the timing, the grace and skill
of the Chuggers. A last second loss causing penalty in Denver, a time out called after a team has allowed you a tie and free playoff spot. These are not easy to do, this the work of artists. 27-7 turns into 31-30 loss, a 24-0 halftime lead against Denver turns into a 35-24 loss.
And all the while, the artisans they are, the Chuggers claim
be to be working hard toward a championship. The Clown dresses up to win the Girl. It's pathos, my friend. Appreciate the beauty of it.

Last edited:

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Good article on how good teams do it.

https://apnews.com/article/3d2f6449f75d22d7cfa7d921cbda521a

BY DAVE SKRETTA
Today

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — The decision that Kansas City Chiefs general manager Brett Veach faced at the conclusion of last season was shockingly simple yet brutally difficult:

Do they sign wide receiver Tyreek Hill to a long-term deal or trade him away?

FiftyFive

Dean Spanos is a traitor!
Nov 14, 2017
Speaking of Kaeding... how about that other playoff game against the Jets when Marty played for the field goal with a rookie Kaeding in the rain?

Blows my mind that even now, even in this thread, people are acting like Marty didn't add to the losing mentality.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrbanwal

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
Speaking of Kaeding... how about that other playoff game against the Jets when Marty played for the field goal with a rookie Kaeding in the rain?

Blows my mind that even now, even in this thread, people are acting like Marty didn't add to the losing mentality.
All coaches do it. The Jags settled for a semi-long field goal to beat the traitors and that kick barely went in. That could have easily blown up in their face had they not tried to get in better range and make it an easier kick.

captaind

This is fine
Jul 12, 2007
Tennessee

40-yarder. Chip shot.

As for your other statement, hard to call a 14-2 team a loser.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
40-yarder. Chip shot.

As for your other statement, hard to call a 14-2 team a loser.
Marty was not at all a loser......he was a major winner. His only problem were his players choked in the playoffs every time he got there. So it's his job to go out there and shove Mcree to the ground when the game is won on that interception as long as he holds onto the ball? It's his job to hold the ball for Ernest Byner? That said, I alway believe coaches like Marty and Harbaugh don't really help a situation for a team in the high pressure playoffs if they are emotional. All that does is project onto the players and makes them too hyped up and emotional instead of focused/intense. The players lose sight of the goal with coaches like that.

But Marty basically took a lost franchise and resurrected it. He excelled at getting teams to be detail oriented and extremely physicial with the run. Teams couldn't stop Marty's run game...and the O line was the best we'd had in decades since Coryell when Marty had a chance to mold them. LT was luck to have him as a HC, his career was largely because of Marty. I believe the real culprit for him not making it to the SB was that asshole AJ Smith. If John Butler had been allowed to continue on as GM instead of passing due to cancer, I believe Marty would have rewarded him with a SB. The reason Marty didn't win largely was AJ Smith created a cancer in the front office by not even bothering to talk with Marty....the 2 had 180 degree differences in how to build a championship team. So I doubt Marty was playing with the team he truly wanted across the board. Butler never would have approved of what the dumbass he recommended to spanos for the GM job was doing. And naturally spanos had zero clue about the dysfunction while it was going on and ultimately chose the wrong guy to fire. lmao.....can't make it up.

But some fans just want to always blame Marty because of his history with CLE, KC, WASH, SD. Great coaches don't win superbowls all the time. Coryell???? So not buying what those who say Marty was to blame are selling. IF you want to pick out a loser HC it's norb. A decade of norb is what caused the fans to hate spanos and also the fact he betrayed the city at every turn.....always angling for a way to bilk the taxpayers and city out of money and fleece the fans. Such a dick lmao. Marty left hating that son of a bitch and I don't blame him...who could/??? Cowher was a good friend of Marty. Posters kept thinking Dean would hire Cowher lmfao.....Cowher wouldn't go NEAR that family after what happened to Marty.

FiftyFive

Dean Spanos is a traitor!
Nov 14, 2017
I remember watching Marty blow it over and over again with stacked teams when he was the Chiefs' coach, so I wasn't too thrilled when the Chargers hired him, and like it or not, he did the same thing in SD. He was given loaded teams with not one, but two different HOF franchise QBs - in a league where some franchises have been struggling for decades just to find one - and couldn't win a single playoff game with them. Even Norv got to an AFC title game. I despised Norv too, but if a coach who actually won playoff games is an example of "Chargering," the guy who went 0-fer shouldn't be off-limits either.

If you ask me, the one coach who did build a winning culture was Bobby Ross. So of course, Alex and Deano screwed that up by running him out of town. They didn't like that Ross stood up to them and refused to fire the assistants he'd had success with for decades just because they said so. Ralph Friedgen went on to win the Broyles Award at GT and then completely turn around Maryland's program as their head coach while Gilbride and Sheppard were a disaster with the Chargers. Typical Spanos ineptitude.

Reactions: Faded Blues

Fender57

Blot Talker
Sep 7, 2008
I remember watching Marty blow it over and over again with stacked teams when he was the Chiefs' coach, so I wasn't too thrilled when the Chargers hired him, and like it or not, he did the same thing in SD. He was given loaded teams with not one, but two different HOF franchise QBs - in a league where some franchises have been struggling for decades just to find one - and couldn't win a single playoff game with them. Even Norv got to an AFC title game. I despised Norv too, but if a coach who actually won playoff games is an example of "Chargering," the guy who went 0-fer shouldn't be off-limits either.

If you ask me, the one coach who did build a winning culture was Bobby Ross. So of course, Alex and Deano screwed that up by running him out of town. They didn't like that Ross stood up to them and refused to fire the assistants he'd had success with for decades just because they said so.
Beathard wanted to fire longtime Ross assistant Ralph Fridgen, who wasn’t great, relied on smash mouth coupled with the vertical game, he was pretty much feast or famine. Fridgen ended up falling on his sword and leaving, eventually getting the head coaching job at Maryland, a school Ross once head coached. Fridgen had been under fire pretty much since he took over the OC duties in 1993, before that Ross and Beathard were actually pretty close and when Beathard nearly resigned before the 1994 season Ross threatened to quit in a show of unity. After the Super Bowl, their relationship changed and I believe it was because Beathard wanted Ross to replace Fridgen.

Of course, in their stupidity, Spenis 1 and 2 backed up Beathard.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

If you ask me, the one coach who did build a winning culture was Bobby Ross. So of course, Alex and Deano screwed that up by running him out of town. They didn't like that Ross stood up to them and refused to fire the assistants he'd had success with for decades just because they said so.
I don't think you can separate Marty from assjack smith because Marty was saddled with that imposter of a GM. Butler would have put aj in his place as a head of scouting and given Marty the ability to bring in players over time to reach the goal....just my opinion. You are entitled to yours. It is hard to argue against it because the record is there in the playoffs......his teams never got to the SB. But remember either did Coryell's so IMO that doesn't make the guy a loser of a coach. Coryell was saddled with idiot Klein and never was given a complete team , the defenses were terrible. Klein unloaded defensive stars rather than retaining them and building the rest of the D to be elite.....he was the cheapest bastard who ruined that era.......and I believe assjack smith ruined the Marty very short era in SD. So Marty can't be dissociated from the toxic Smith. Drayton Florence and Miller the receiver...choked as well as McCree.....I doubt if Marty had stayed on with a decent GM those types of players would soon have been released for more reliable players. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on Marty being a loser or not......we will never know for sure what might have been had he had the length of time that assjack gave to the 'yes man' and weakling norb. But if scoreboard is the criterion then yeah you have a point. I just don't think he was as bad as you say......and that's why I use the Coryell reference. Getting to and winning the SB requires the entire organization be very solid.....obviously the front office was a dysfunctional disaster and Marty can't be blamed for that....he had no say, they ignored him lol. Chargering.

Fender57

Blot Talker
Sep 7, 2008
If butler would have lived (God rest his soul), the team would have won multiple super bowls.

The true curse started when butler died.
I believe the true curse started when Klein bought the team from Hilton. He immediately tried to turn the team into LA Rams Jr. Under Klein’s tenure beginning in 1966, the team immediately began a playoff drought (until Coryell showed up), traded Alworth, JJ, and Dean, presided over the biggest drug scandal sports had seen up to that time, got rid of Hadl (who went on to MVP with the Rams) and replaced him with a broken down old Unitas, and the coup de grace, sold the team to the Spenis family.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I believe the true curse started when Klein bought the team from Hilton. He immediately tried to turn the team into LA Rams Jr. Under Klein’s tenure beginning in 1966, the team immediately began a playoff drought (until Coryell showed up), traded Alworth, JJ, and Dean, presided over the biggest drug scandal sports had seen up to that time, got rid of Hadl (who went on to MVP with the Rams) and replaced him with a broken down old Unitas, and the coup de grace, sold the team to the Spenis family.
Nice history. The guy who started the rapid climb of the chugs was Tommy Prothro. He couldn't win on the field but put together the all time best Chug draft and Coryell inherited his team. Klein messed it up by not following through and adding further to that incredible talent. Johnny Sanders was the GM. Eff Klein for what he did. George Pernicano should have fed him some salmonella pizza.

Fender57

Blot Talker
Sep 7, 2008
Nice history. The guy who started the rapid climb of the chugs was Tommy Prothro. He couldn't win on the field but put together the all time best Chug draft and Coryell inherited his team. Klein messed it up by not following through and adding further to that incredible talent. Johnny Sanders was the GM. Eff Klein for what he did. George Pernicano should have fed him some salmonella pizza.
Yeah, forgot about Prothro. Should’ve just promoted him to GM when they hired Coryell (did Sanders actually do anything? If he was GM how come Prothro ran the draft?).

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Yeah, forgot about Prothro. Should’ve just promoted him to GM when they hired Coryell (did Sanders actually do anything? If he was GM how come Prothro ran the draft?).
I think Prothro was probably so good at talent evaluation he controlled most of the scouting and picked those guys himself even though his title wasn't HC/GM.

San Diego Chargers[edit]
The San Diego Chargers hired Prothro as their new head coach on January 8, 1974, placing him in charge of rebuilding the once-proud franchise that had become mired in mediocrity and a drug scandal. During his first two years, the team continued to struggle, going 5–9 in 1974, and bottoming out with a 2–12 mark in 1975. From 1974 to 1977, though, Prothro drafted a number of players who would have a major impact on the franchise in years to come. Some of these players included wide receiver John Jefferson, centers Bob Rush and Don Macek, linebackers Woodrow Lowe and Don Goode, defensive linemen Gary "Big Hands" Johnson, Louie Kelcher and Fred Dean. He was also instrumental in the development of Dan Fouts into a Hall of Fame quarterback.

These drafts paid immediate dividends as the Chargers improved to 6–8 in 1976, and 7–7 in 1977, including a 12–7 win over rival Oakland that cost the Raiders the division title. The team seemed ready to make their move during the 1978 NFL season. However, a 1–3 start, marked by a loss to the Raiders in what became known as the Holy Roller game of September 10, caused Prothro to abruptly resign as head coach, replaced by Don Coryell. The Chargers finished 1978 with a 9–7 record, their first winning season since 1969, as the team Prothro helped build won three straight AFC Western Division titles and made the playoffs every year from 1979 to 1982.

Reactions: Fender57

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Why is it that every FUdean article references Costa Mesa when supposedly they play in Inglewood. Both shiitholes but wtf?

FUdean

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think they have their offices in Costa Mesa.
yup that's where they moved their training camp to but they will be getting out of OC soon,,,they are building a new facility up in El Segundo......glad they are leaving OC......can smell the stench all the way down here in the south county. What a blight on cities that franchise is, even when just there for training camp etc. Those assholes on that team were going out to dinners at the finest restaurant on the Newport Coast every Fri nite......bunch of showboats who think they are better than they are.....good riddance....go take your smelly asses to LA bitches.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

30. Los Angeles Chargers
This is another spot where I could have slotted other teams. However, I am deducting points from the Chargers because they should be better.

With the incredible talent this team boasts on defense and a defensive-minded head coach, there is simply no excuse for the Chargers’ defense conceding 25.8 points per game, the third-worst mark in the NFL.

This is on head coach Brandon Staley, who is/should be on the hot seat and on his way out of town.

Ranking 25th in third-down percentage, 28th in rushing yards, and 26th in passing touchdowns allowed, this team has a lot of work to do in the offseason.

Reactions: Faded Blues