• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Charger Cuts

LV Bolt Fan

Well-Known Member
#1
http://chargers.com/news/press-releases/press-release-20080830.php



The San Diego Chargers placed TE Scott Chandler on Reserve-Injured (toe) and released the following 20 players from their active roster to reach the NFL’s mandatory limit of 53 players:

LB Antwan Applewhite
LB Eric Bakhtiari
WR Gary Banks
S Tra Battle
CB Josh Bell
TE Wade Betschart
S Brian Bonner
RB Eldra Buckley
DE Andre Coleman
DT Lamar Divens
G Brandyn Dombrowski
DE Keith Grennan
DT Keith Jackson
WR Mark Jones
T Tyler Luellen
LB Terna Nande
T Tony Pape
LB Carlos Polk
G Erik Robertson
RB Marcus Thomas

Chandler sustained the toe injury in Friday night’s preseason finale in San Francisco. He will miss the ’08 season.
 

sdbound

Well-Known Member
#2
The cuts.

The San Diego Chargers placed TE Scott Chandler on Reserve-Injured (toe) and released the following 20 players from their active roster to reach the NFL’s mandatory limit of 53 players:


LB Antwan Applewhite
LB Eric Bakhtiari
WR Gary Banks
S Tra Battle
CB Josh Bell
TE Wade Betschart
S Brian Bonner
RB Eldra Buckley
DE Andre Coleman
DT Lamar Divens
G Brandyn Dombrowski
DE Keith Grennan
DT Keith Jackson
WR Mark Jones
T Tyler Luellen
LB Terna Nande
T Tony Pape
LB Carlos Polk
G Erik Robertson
RB Marcus Thomas
 

pure-sol

Well-Known Member
#4
The cuts.

The San Diego Chargers placed TE Scott Chandler on Reserve-Injured (toe) and released the following 20 players from their active roster to reach the NFL’s mandatory limit of 53 players:


LB Antwan Applewhite
LB Eric Bakhtiari
WR Gary Banks
S Tra Battle
CB Josh Bell
TE Wade Betschart
S Brian Bonner
RB Eldra Buckley
DE Andre Coleman
DT Lamar Divens
G Brandyn Dombrowski
DE Keith Grennan
DT Keith Jackson
WR Mark Jones
T Tyler Luellen
LB Terna Nande
T Tony Pape
LB Carlos Polk
G Erik Robertson
RB Marcus Thomas
I think Applewhite and Buckley will make the PS. I knew Polk would get cut, he's injured too much. Ya Tolbert! :abq1:
 
#5
"the cuts"

Me too... The San Diego Chargers placed TE Scott Chandler on Reserve-Injured (toe) and released the following 20 players from their active roster to reach the NFL’s mandatory limit of 53 players:


LB Antwan Applewhite
LB Eric Bakhtiari
WR Gary Banks
S Tra Battle
CB Josh Bell
TE Wade Betschart
S Brian Bonner
RB Eldra Buckley
DE Andre Coleman
DT Lamar Divens
G Brandyn Dombrowski
DE Keith Grennan
DT Keith Jackson
WR Mark Jones
T Tyler Luellen
LB Terna Nande
T Tony Pape
LB Carlos Polk
G Erik Robertson
RB Marcus Thomas
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
#8
TheLash said:
really surprised by Applewhite and Battle
If they make it they will go to the practice squad. I believe they have to make it through 24 hours on waivers, but that is just off the top of my head.
 

sdbound

Well-Known Member
#16
Final roster:

Offense

QB - Rivers, Volek, Whitehurst
RB - Tomlinson, Hester, Sproles
FB - Pinnock, Tolbert
TE - Gates, Manumaleuna
WR - Chambers, V. Jackson, Davis, Naanee, Floyd, Osgood
LT - McNeill
LG - Dielman, Mruczkowski
C - Hardwick, Newberry, Withrow
RG - Goff
RT - Clary, Shelton, Clark

Defense

RE - Olshasnsky, Bingham
NT - Williams, Mckinney
LE - Castillo, Cesaire
ROLB - Merriman, Tucker
RILB - Cooper, Waters, Dobbins, Siler
LILB - Wilhelm, Smith
LOLB - Phillips, Harris
RCB - Cromartie, Gordon, Tribble
FS - Weddle, Gregory
SS - Hart, Oliver
LCB - Jammer, Cason

Special Teams

LS - Binn
K - Kaeding
P - Scifres
 

Aggieman

I bleed blue and gold
#17
sdbound said:
Final roster:

Offense

QB - Rivers, Volek, Whitehurst
RB - Tomlinson, Hester, Sproles
FB - Pinnock, Tolbert
TE - Gates, Manumaleuna
WR - Chambers, V. Jackson, Davis, Naanee, Floyd, Osgood
LT - McNeill
LG - Dielman, Mruczkowski
C - Hardwick, Newberry, Withrow
RG - Goff
RT - Clary, Shelton, Clark

Defense

RE - Olshasnsky, Bingham
NT - Williams, Mckinney
LE - Castillo, Cesaire
ROLB - Merriman, Tucker
RILB - Cooper, Waters, Dobbins, Siler
LILB - Wilhelm, Smith
LOLB - Phillips, Harris
RCB - Cromartie, Gordon, Tribble
FS - Weddle, Gregory
SS - Hart, Oliver
LCB - Jammer, Cason

Special Teams

LS - Binn
K - Kaeding
P - Scifres
That is THE most talented team in the league, period. Not a name on there that shouldn't be and this is DEPTH. We're loaded!!!!!:abq1:
 

Boltjolt

Well-Known Member
#19
SDRaiderH8er said:
I think Chandler stubbed more than his tor last night.

He dropped a perfect pass when we needed it!
He caught the very next pas for a first down. Must have got hurt on that play but i didnt notice him limping.
 
#20
PostAnteaterCharger said:
I am somewhat surprised that Pinnock made the team
yea me too. i don't think polk or applewhite should of been cut :tdown: osgood should of left with his bullshit of an attitude and his concieted self. Polk is just as good as him on ST. I think we should look into Colvin for DE insurance. I know we have castillo but something might go wrong.
 

Lightning's Girl

Mod Chick =)
Staff member
Moderator
#21
This is about what I expected, except for Applewhite.

No wonder the broadcasters on ESPN last week called the Chargers one of the "BIG THREE" teams in the NFL. My parents would be sooooooooo proud of this team, its depth, its class, its pure talent..........wish they could've lived to see it!!!!
 

Boltjolt

Well-Known Member
#22
xxcro31beastxx said:
yea me too. i don't think polk or applewhite should of been cut :tdown: osgood should of left with his bullshit of an attitude and his concieted self. Polk is just as good as him on ST. I think we should look into Colvin for DE insurance. I know we have castillo but something might go wrong.
How many probowls has Polk made for ST's?

Dont agree on that one and Polk was beat out by Siler. Polk is listed as a ILB and we have many of those.
 
#23
Boltjolt said:
How many probowls has Polk made for ST's?

Dont agree on that one and Polk was beat out by Siler. Polk is listed as a ILB and we have many of those.
Yea polk hasn't made any pro bowls, but he's better at his primary position than osgood is. We have just as many depth in WR than we have in ILB. I just think that our 3 main STmers were Polk/Slier/Osgood. I don't like Osgood being all *****y about being WR when he sucks, plus wearing the raiders cap at the probowl wasn't my idea of "funny". So if i were him i'd take being in the probowl as a STmer and quit the complaining. Other than that im very happy Tolbert made it, i see a young Lo'neal in him
 

LV Bolt Fan

Well-Known Member
#24
Boltjolt said:
How many probowls has Polk made for ST's?

Dont agree on that one and Polk was beat out by Siler. Polk is listed as a ILB and we have many of those.
Does a Pro Bowl prove what a player does for a team? :no:
I have no problem with him being cut.
 

Boltjolt

Well-Known Member
#25
xxcro31beastxx said:
Yea polk hasn't made any pro bowls, but he's better at his primary position than osgood is. We have just as many depth in WR than we have in ILB. I just think that our 3 main STmers were Polk/Slier/Osgood. I don't like Osgood being all *****y about being WR when he sucks, plus wearing the raiders cap at the probowl wasn't my idea of "funny". So if i were him i'd take being in the probowl as a STmer and quit the complaining. Other than that im very happy Tolbert made it, i see a young Lo'neal in him
I agree but he didnt get beat out by Osgood. He got beat out by Siler. We could have cut Osgood too and id be fine with it but as far as ST's, Polk is not as good as Osgood.
 

Boltjolt

Well-Known Member
#26
LV Bolt Fan said:
Does a Pro Bowl prove what a player does for a team? :no:
I have no problem with him being cut.
Me either, just saying Polk wasnt as good on ST's as Osgood and he said he was.

Both could of got cut and it would be fine.
 
#27
Boltjolt said:
Me either, just saying Polk wasnt as good on ST's as Osgood and he said he was.

Both could of got cut and it would be fine.
People don't like Osgood so after bashing him for his receiving skills they jump on his special teams ability saying that he is "easy to replace" and that some players are good as him.

Osgood isn't that good of a WR. However, on special teams he is one of the top in the league.

Polk on the other hand is injured just about every year and has been passed up as an ILB and a OLB. He is pushing 31 and seems to be slowing down.

Polk has had the same injuries just about every year. He has had surgery to fix it, but it doesn't seem to have helped. That means he has a very good chance to aggravate it.
 

Aggieman

I bleed blue and gold
#29
ghost_ said:
X2:icon_huh::icon_shrug:man i hope Battle , thomas and
Antwan Applewhite clear waviers
Hmm...I wonder if Applewhite is really cut and will play for another team next year. If he's on the practice squad can he be picked up by other teams? I could see a defensively weak team signing him so they can use for a few plays or depth.
 

Top