Carson TV ratings

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
LA NFL Weekend TV Rankings:
1. #Rams - #Bears
2. #Cowboys - #Eagles
3. #Saints - #Bucs
4. #Chargers - #Bengals
good. And that was without any head to head competition right? Chargers are one of the top teams in the AFC now, playoff-bound, now tied with Rams in record and they can't do better than that, it is very telling. Just the fact the little amateur soccer stadium wasn't overflowing and seats were not completely filled yesterday is telling. It's the Rams' town, and Raiders right up there with them. If they can't draw when they are playing this well with this optimistic a year, something is very wrong. It is not likely to change......as some media have stated, even IF they outperform the Rams on the field ,or the Raiders, they will not be #1, and likely ever in LA. The fans will just wonder why the Rams or Raiders were not on top that year more than they will applaud the chargers. Dean Spanos is not liked ANYWHERE. And most Angelinos would agree the team should be back in SD intead of LA. They never wanted them from the start for the most part.

Blame whoever you want, SD city, Spanos, NFL.......I say the NFL NEVER should have given the unpredictably eccentric Dean the opportunity to move out and occupy that spot in LA. Of course Kroenke was likey a big part of it too....he didn't want to either compete with the extreme popularity of the Raiders in LA or he didn't want the Raider stereotypical fanbase in his stadium. Way to go Stan.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Chargers went up against Cowboys vs. Eagles
Cowboys/Eagles a better game,plus probably more combined Cowboys and Eagles fans/transplants in LA/So Cal than there are remaining charger fans now.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
good. And that was without any head to head competition right? Chargers are one of the top teams in the AFC now, playoff-bound, now tied with Rams in record and they can't do better than that, it is very telling. Just the fact the little amateur soccer stadium wasn't overflowing and seats were not completely filled yesterday is telling. It's the Rams' town, and Raiders right up there with them. If they can't draw when they are playing this well with this optimistic a year, something is very wrong. It is not likely to change......as some media have stated, even IF they outperform the Rams on the field ,or the Raiders, they will not be #1, and likely ever in LA. The fans will just wonder why the Rams or Raiders were not on top that year more than they will applaud the chargers. Dean Spanos is not liked ANYWHERE. And most Angelinos would agree the team should be back in SD intead of LA. They never wanted them from the start for the most part.

Blame whoever you want, SD city, Spanos, NFL.......I say the NFL NEVER should have given the unpredictably eccentric Dean the opportunity to move out and occupy that spot in LA. Of course Kroenke was likey a big part of it too....he didn't want to either compete with the extreme popularity of the Raiders in LA or he didn't want the Raider stereotypical fanbase in his stadium. Way to go Stan.
It isn't that the Chargers aren't #1. It is that they are last: last in L.A. and last in the League. They are last in stadium attendance and, I assume, last in T.V. and streaming ratings - at least I hope so.

Having no viewership for a loser is one thing. But, like you said, having no viewership for one of the League's most dominant teams in terms of wins is unprecedented. The team needs to move back home. We'd all be going ape shit for our Bolts right now.

Reactions: RamAirVA

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
It isn't that the Chargers aren't #1. It is that they are last: last in L.A. and last in the League. They are last in stadium attendance and, I assume, last in T.V. and streaming ratings - at least I hope so.

Having no viewership for a loser is one thing. But, like you said, having no viewership for one of the League's most dominant teams in terms of wins is unprecedented. The team needs to move back home.
Agree with everything you pointed out except using the word "Dominant". "Lucky" or "maufactured" is more accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: TTK

Chaincrusher

BoltTalker
Apr 8, 2015
Agree with everything you pointed out except using the word "Dominant". "Lucky" or "maufactured" is more accurate.
You are delusional if you believe that the Chargers are not one of the most dominant teams in the NFL at this point in the season. They are 6th in offensive yardage, 5th in points scored, 8th in yards allowed and 7th in points allowed through 14 weeks of the season. They are the only team in the NFL in the top 10 of all 4 of those categories. They are also 5th in net scoring differential despite giving up a bunch of garbage time points.

Defensively, they have accomplished that result without Bosa for most of the season and without other key players for large chunks of games, including Verrett, Liuget, Perryman and White. Offensively, they have accomplished this result without Henry and without Gordon for a chunk of games.

Chaincrusher

BoltTalker
Apr 8, 2015
Chargers Bengals was a lousy game. Boring and the Bengals are missing their best offensive players.
Driskel looked pretty good for a backup QB. The Bengals were missing Green. The Chargers were without Liuget, Perryman, White, Verrett and Mebane. They were also without Gordon and Henry.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
You are delusional if you believe that the Chargers are not one of the most dominant teams in the NFL at this point in the season. They are 6th in offensive yardage, 5th in points scored, 8th in yards allowed and 7th in points allowed through 14 weeks of the season. They are the only team in the NFL in the top 10 of all 4 of those categories. They are also 5th in net scoring differential despite giving up a bunch of garbage time points.

Defensively, they have accomplished that result without Bosa for most of the season and without other key players for large chunks of games, including Verrett, Liuget, Perryman and White. Offensively, they have accomplished this result without Henry and without Gordon for a chunk of games.
No. One. Cares.

Your new home would evict you for another half mile more of freeway.

Last edited:

Fouts

Go Rams!
Aug 17, 2007
La Jolla, CA
LA Weekend NFL TV Rankings:
1. #Rams - #Eagles
2. #Chargers - #Chiefs (thursday)
3. #Patriots - #Steelers
4. #Cowboys - #Colts
5. #Dolpinns - #Vikings

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
LA Weekend NFL TV Rankings:
1. #Rams - #Eagles
2. #Chargers - #Chiefs (thursday)
3. #Patriots - #Steelers
4. #Cowboys - #Colts
5. #Dolpinns - #Vikings
Rams still #1 ratings wise, I expect that to continue until they are eliminated if the chargers go deeper this year. Rams will always be #1 in the hearts of most Angelinos, right there with the Raiders. Chargers will always be a distant 3rd for pro NFL. That could potentially change if the chargers under telesco and the HC somehow became the next Patriot dynasty or maybe more realistically the Colts type dynasty with Manning, but even then they are competing with 2 other more popular teams.....it's not really possible. The only thing would be that perhaps they would move up in popularity during that mini-dynasty and garner more bandwagoners.

As I said, everyone loves a winner. Contrast that with the long suffering San Diego residents (as well as out of town and state long time diehards like Conc et al) who remained true to the team thru thick and thin, support never wavering....always every year a fresh new start with optimism this may be the year that finally gets us over the hump, and all despite despising the owner who always managed to make some horrendous gaffe either in public relations or coach hires or player acquisitions or player trades/waivers. In SD the bolts were ALWAYS #1 and really the only game in town for generations.

There is a huge continental divide gap between those who jump on the bandwagon and are johnny-come-lately fans without significant very long term emotional and financial investment in a franchise, and those that chose to support and cheer for a franchise thru mostly horrendous years and a few optimistic years, even an optimistic decade, for a period of up to 56years andnever waivered. Major difference, in fact the newly acquired fans or those that jumped back on after jumping off, cannot even comprehend what the grizzled codgerly diehards from San Diego went thru and as a result are now feeling. Not bagging on em, just saying there's a major difference of perspective and it's understandable as to why that is.

And with all that said, gotta feel some envy for, and give props to, the longtime diehard bolt fans who are from out of town who, along with us, went the distance with that team , some for 56 years as well, thru thick and thin. And gotta sorta feel glad for them that they might finally achieve what we all in San Diego had been seeking for so many years. Good on them for sticking it out and maybe finally getting rewarded for it. Meanwhile all San Diegans can do is wonder what might have been.

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
If it's the Colts vs. the Dolts in the Championship game, then the sport is dead. But owners are happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDRay

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Hey Ray, the numbers you posted are actually not that bad!

They're averaging the same or better than most small market teams in term of viewers, except for the fact that they play in a big city market.
Their viewership is in line with DET, which has 1.78M market size. (LA 5.3M)

The Rams, Jets, and Giants also have lower average ratings due to their huge market size.
BTW....IMO, if a city is hosting two teams, then the market size should be cut in half when figuring out ratings.

My question is, how many sets of local eye balls were on them when they were in SD?
I don't doubt that the ratings would be considerably higher, but I would really like to know what kind of viewer numbers they were getting in SD?!?
It could very well be that they have increased the number of viewers -even if it's forced fed to them- by the move. That would be exactly what the league was counting on when they ratified this abomination! They're one of the few teams that show an increase in ratings from their week 1 figure, which would mean more people tuned in as the season progressed....in line with them winning and the bandwagon mentality that follows.

All in all, IMHO, there was a battle to be fought here; but that was in 2014-15-16 or before...when the team was still in SD. That ship has sailed now, and nothing San Diegans can do will bring it back. It's not surprising to me that the LAC is garnering support in SD again...these are the same people who didn't care enough to even cast a vote on measure C, or voted against it....the same people who regularly sold their tickets to opposing fans....the same people who didn't bother to take legal action against the league, or the Spanos family to keep the name, the colors, or the history of the Chargers.
Don't get me wrong, people in SD are great. They're great to party with, hang loose and surf with, or to just chill with; but when it comes to football, give me the east-coast fans -and by that I mean anywhere outside of Cali- any day of the week and twice on Sundays! There's just a different feel, a different level of passion towards their teams and the game. Many of 390K+ people that the LAC count as viewers, just have their TV's on while the game is going on, but you know that 400K+ that watch the Steelers in PIT are huddled in masses, and glued to their TVs!

San Diego IS America's Finest City...but much of that has to do with God than anyone else! The ocean, the waves, the beach, the bays, the hills, the weather, the blondes, the kron....the list is long! San Diegan, rightfully, have a lot to be proud of; however, for a lot of them, that pride has evolved in to a sense of entitlement. 'How dare they take away OUR team?' Well they did!....and now, many are dealing with it in the same way as when the Chargers were in SD...by jumping on the bandwagon when they're hot.

There are many to blame for the loss of our San Diego Chargers...Obviously Dean Spanos is chief -weasel- amongst them; but I blame GEOGRAPHY! After both Rams and Raiders left in '95, it was just a matter of time before the vacuum created in LA would suck in the nearest arsehole NFL owner like a black hole eating up an asstroid!! The City and the people of SD, although not completely blameless, get a pass from me for the loss, because I feel that there was nothing they could do to prevent it. However, I am disappointed that they let the bastards walk freely, without a fight for what was rightfully their's. The Charger name, logo, history, and colors belong to San Diego and were worth fighting for...but unfortunately, as I said earlier, the time for that fight has passed. Now, all that is left is the butthurt feelings of diehards who hate a team they once loved, and conflicted joy for those who still follow them; and trust me, none of that amounts to hill of beans as the Spanos family laughs their way to the bank. The league will make sure of that!

I'm sorry for the long rant so early in the morning, but it's the Divisional Round of goddamn NFL Playoffs, the Chargers are playing the Patriots, and I have to root for the fargin' Pat*s. Never thought I'd see this day!.....F uck you Dean Spanos....Fu ck you NFL....Fuc k you Geography, always hated you in school anyway!

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Hey Ray, the numbers you posted are actually not that bad!

They're averaging the same or better than most small market teams in term of viewers, except for the fact that they play in a big city market.
Their viewership is in line with DET, which has 1.78M market size. (LA 5.3M)

The Rams, Jets, and Giants also have lower average ratings due to their huge market size.
BTW....IMO, if a city is hosting two teams, then the market size should be cut in half when figuring out ratings.

My question is, how many sets of local eye balls were on them when they were in SD?
I don't doubt that the ratings would be considerably higher, but I would really like to know what kind of viewer numbers they were getting in SD?!?
It could very well be that they have increased the number of viewers -even if it's forced fed to them- by the move. That would be exactly what the league was counting on when they ratified this abomination! They're one of the few teams that show an increase in ratings from their week 1 figure, which would mean more people tuned in as the season progressed....in line with them winning and the bandwagon mentality that follows.

All in all, IMHO, there was a battle to be fought here; but that was in 2014-15-16 or before...when the team was still in SD. That ship has sailed now, and nothing San Diegans can do will bring it back. It's not surprising to me that the LAC is garnering support in SD again...these are the same people who didn't care enough to even cast a vote on measure C, or voted against it....the same people who regularly sold their tickets to opposing fans....the same people who didn't bother to take legal action against the league, or the Spanos family to keep the name, the colors, or the history of the Chargers.
Don't get me wrong, people in SD are great. They're great to party with, hang loose and surf with, or to just chill with; but when it comes to football, give me the east-coast fans -and by that I mean anywhere outside of Cali- any day of the week and twice on Sundays! There's just a different feel, a different level of passion towards their teams and the game. Many of 390K+ people that the LAC count as viewers, just have their TV's on while the game is going on, but you know that 400K+ that watch the Steelers in PIT are huddled in masses, and glued to their TVs!

San Diego IS America's Finest City...but much of that has to do with God than anyone else! The ocean, the waves, the beach, the bays, the hills, the weather, the blondes, the kron....the list is long! San Diegan, rightfully, have a lot to be proud of; however, for a lot of them, that pride has evolved in to a sense of entitlement. 'How dare they take away OUR team?' Well they did!....and now, many are dealing with it in the same way as when the Chargers were in SD...by jumping on the bandwagon when they're hot.

There are many to blame for the loss of our San Diego Chargers...Obviously Dean Spanos is chief -weasel- amongst them; but I blame GEOGRAPHY! After both Rams and Raiders left in '95, it was just a matter of time before the vacuum created in LA would suck in the nearest arsehole NFL owner like a black hole eating up an asstroid!! The City and the people of SD, although not completely blameless, get a pass from me for the loss, because I feel that there was nothing they could do to prevent it. However, I am disappointed that they let the bastards walk freely, without a fight for what was rightfully their's. The Charger name, logo, history, and colors belong to San Diego and were worth fighting for...but unfortunately, as I said earlier, the time for that fight has passed. Now, all that is left is the butthurt feelings of diehards who hate a team they once loved, and conflicted joy for those who still follow them; and trust me, none of that amounts to hill of beans as the Spanos family laughs their way to the bank. The league will make sure of that!

I'm sorry for the long rant so early in the morning, but it's the Divisional Round of goddamn NFL Playoffs, the Chargers are playing the Patriots, and I have to root for the fargin' Pat*s. Never thought I'd see this day!.....F uck you Dean Spanos....Fu ck you NFL....Fuc k you Geography, always hated you in school anyway!
Most of this I'd agree with HOF, other than the fans not voting or failing to sue or keep the logo/colors. Measure C was doomed from the start, it had zero chance to pass not to mention there was little campaigning for it by the chargers or the city/mayor. Spanos obviously wanted out anyway......he was not at the table the last 2 years.....wanted the LA $ going back a ways. The REAL blame for not retaining the team and colors/logo goes to the city council around 2004 or so when they gave them an out on the lease and failed to nail down the colors/logo as part of the lease deal.....they failed the citizens of SD bigtime. They basically paved the way for the weasel owner to walk away with everything. Stoopid.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Most of this I'd agree with HOF, other than the fans not voting or failing to sue or keep the logo/colors. Measure C was doomed from the start, it had zero chance to pass not to mention there was little campaigning for it by the chargers or the city/mayor. Spanos obviously wanted out anyway......he was not at the table the last 2 years.....wanted the LA $ going back a ways. The REAL blame for not retaining the team and colors/logo goes to the city council around 2004 or so when they gave them an out on the lease and failed to nail down the colors/logo as part of the lease deal.....they failed the citizens of SD bigtime. They basically paved the way for the weasel owner to walk away with everything. Stoopid.
Gilly, I'm well aware of the points you make. There may very well be zero grounds for viable legal action in this case, but frivolous lawsuits are filed in courts across the country every day. The Oakland lawsuit has no merit what-so-ever, but that didn't stop the city to file one. The Cleveland lawsuit was also based on shaky legal grounds, but it prompted a "compromise" by the league to avoid a black eye. The negative publicity that a lawsuit would've generated for the Spanos family and more importantly the league would've been well worth the effort, and something they could ill afford.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Gilly, I'm well aware of the points you make. There may very well be zero grounds for viable legal action in this case, but frivolous lawsuits are filed in courts across the country every day. The Oakland lawsuit has no merit what-so-ever, but that didn't stop the city to file one. The Cleveland lawsuit was also based on shaky legal grounds, but it prompted a "compromise" by the league to avoid a black eye. The negative publicity that a lawsuit would've generated for the Spanos family and more importantly the league would've been well worth the effort, and something they could ill afford.
Oh I concur, the city should have filed a lawsuit either way, made every last attempt to at least keep the logo/colors, but I think that had already been nailed down legally by spanos. The city council/mayor are inept and were even more inept in 2004. They failed the citizens. Sure there were extraneous factors as well like the environmental and taxpayer groups and individuals that sued attempting to block anything and everything that was proposed. It was a mess. But the city council and mayor still had the opportunity to not cave to that lease that allowed them to end the lease when they did. That was the fatal error. And that was as much of a fatal error as Eugene Klein selling to a family like the Spanii from out of town. Klein let the city of SD down as well. Should have sought a local group who would have majority ownership.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Oh I concur, the city should have filed a lawsuit either way, made every last attempt to at least keep the logo/colors, but I think that had already been nailed down legally by spanos. The city council/mayor are inept and were even more inept in 2004. They failed the citizens. Sure there were extraneous factors as well like the environmental and taxpayer groups and individuals that sued attempting to block anything and everything that was proposed. It was a mess. But the city council and mayor still had the opportunity to not cave to that lease that allowed them to end the lease when they did. That was the fatal error. And that was as much of a fatal error as Eugene Klein selling to a family like the Spanii from out of town. Klein let the city of SD down as well. Should have sought a local group who would have majority ownership.
My understanding is that Klein was deep in debt from horse racing and needed the cash. It was a quick sale because the nfl was glad to approve because Klein was in debt.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
My understanding is that Klein was deep in debt from horse racing and needed the cash. It was a quick sale because the nfl was glad to approve because Klein was in debt.
wouldn't doubt that it was a quick sale and Klein had to dump the team to the first bidder. Obviously little thought or foresight went into that sale.