Brees > Rivers

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
If you are on topic, it doesn't make much sense to bring up old-school rules. Brees isn't a 70s quarterback anymore than Rivers is. Your point had nothing to do with the topic. Anyway, now we are way off topic.

Still off topic - if this play is any indication, Rivers still gets crap protection. Maybe it is a screen play, but, even on screen plays, a team at least pretends it can block.

The takeaway from this is Rivers has no class.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Brady is the GOAT and is a spenis killer.

That's tops in my book.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Look at him play. Even in his highlights, Brady doesn't do anything great.
Brady is no. 1....I don't have to like it but it's true. And now that the fog of illusion of the Chuggers has lifted,
most folk see it, too.

View the link and esp. view the video at the end. :)

Reactions: Gill Man

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Drew Brees & Philip Rivers are both future Hall of Famers, even if neither one ever takes another NFL snap. Brees will definitely go in on the 1st ballot, and Rivers just might even if he never wins a Superbowl. He'll finish his career in the Top 10 of most offensive categories, in the Top 5 in others like touchdown passes, in which he's currently #6 all time and trails Dan Marino by 39 as of today - he averages about 30 TD passes a season so barring some unforeseen tragedy, Rivers should pass Marino NLT mid-season next year. If Philip does manage to win a championship though, he becomes a no doubt 1st ballot inductee kinda like Steve Young was – 1 ring coupled with the rest of his stats will be more than enough.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Brady is no. 1....I don't have to like it but it's true. And now that the fog of illusion of the Chuggers has lifted,
most folk see it, too.

View the link and esp. view the video at the end. :)

there can be no question any more. He did it under all conditions, things no one else has ever done. First they accused him of deflating then promptly won again when the league took extravagant precautionary measures to verify the pressure of the footballs being used. Same deal with everything else. He won just as much if not more after they locked down the videotaping stuff. Point is that organization strategizes far better than any other, both in terms of game planning and managing the cap and turning over personnel year after year after year. NO TEAM has ever done that. Brady is part of a system but he is probably just as important as Bellichek or the front office or the coaching staff or the numerous other clutch players they always manage to resurrect or discover. End. Of. Story. Any other explanation or attempt to minimize the achievement is usually sour grapes. I used to to that when I was an actual chugger fan, you know, the team the Patriots have owned every damn year since spanos took over and tried to fool the media and the fanbase he was on an equal footing with them. Ha!

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
there can be no question any more. He did it under all conditions, things no one else has ever done. First they accused him of deflating then promptly won again when the league took extravagant precautionary measures to verify the pressure of the footballs being used. Same deal with everything else. He won just as much if not more after they locked down the videotaping stuff. Point is that organization strategizes far better than any other, both in terms of game planning and managing the cap and turning over personnel year after year after year. NO TEAM has ever done that. Brady is part of a system but he is probably just as important as Bellichek or the front office or the coaching staff or the numerous other clutch players they always manage to resurrect or discover. End. Of. Story. Any other explanation or attempt to minimize the achievement is usually sour grapes. I used to to that when I was an actual chugger fan, you know, the team the Patriots have owned every damn year since spanos took over and tried to fool the media and the fanbase he was on an equal footing with the. Ha!

37D2BB6E-483C-4608-B6E6-D4D4E15FCB7B.jpeg

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
It is so weird that every time Brady's offense sucks, Brady also sucks. It is almost as if this is a team game and nobody wins or loses or sucks on his own.

I think you have it backwards.

The offense stunk because Brady played poorly. That's why teams with bad QBs stink and teams with great QBs win.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I think you have it backwards.

The offense stunk because Brady played poorly. That's why teams with bad QBs stink and teams with great QBs win.
No. Brady got crap protection and played accordingly. I watched the game. It is the same thing that happened when he played against our good defenses.His defense and running game always won those games. Brady and his pass blockers sucked every time. I have never seen him overcome poor protection.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
No. Brady got crap protection and played accordingly. I watched the game. It is the same thing that happened when he played against our good defenses.His defense and running game always won those games. Brady and his pass blockers sucked every time. I have never seen him overcome poor protection.
Well his offensive system and coordinator (McDaniels) AND his offensive line always work as a unit.....and together they are unstoppable as you saw in last year's playoff against Lose Angeles. Even bosa was in awe as he said on the sidelines while being mic'd. "Pretty impressive". The thing is Brady reads all options and delivers the ball faster than anyone else.....so bosa was a non factor....he was frustrated all day long because of that. So Brady and the system make the O line better, or at least look better. And vice verse because they've had some damn good O lines. Not sure how this year will pan out compared with last. They always seem to replace lost players like AB with players who come up big in the clutch so we'll see if they acquire another receiver or if they even need to. Likely some UDFA will rise up and shock the media. lolz.

Fouts

Go Rams!
Aug 17, 2007
La Jolla, CA
Tom Brady has made some of the greatest clutch plays of any modern QB in playoffs. He does have Belicheck, so how many points does that handi-cap his greatness on a list of greats?

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Tom Brady has made some of the greatest clutch plays of any modern QB in playoffs. He does have Belicheck, so how many points does that handi-cap his greatness on a list of greats?
Show me a video of a single clutch play Brady has made.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I aint gonna do your homework for you, but just off the top of my head SB vs Falcons. ps, you must be joking if a QB with 6 rings doesn't have clutch plays in playoffs or SBs.
I am not joking. I have already done the research. The answer for amount of video evidence of Brady's clutch play is zero. All his highlights are of him in a clean uniform throwing touchdowns under zero pressure.

Remember when our man, Stan, a west coaster in the ice of Cleveland, took a rough sack, got up on 4th down, and, just before getting sacked again, threw a perfect bomb to Anthony Miller that put us in the post season for the first time in forever? Find me a similar play that Brady has done. Then I will find you 20-such plays that John Elway pulled off.

Don't talk to me about team accomplishments like Super Bowl victories. Show me Brady doing something great on his own. Show me him doing something better than Elway or Marino did. Show me that. Then maybe I will believe. Until then, this Brady being-the-greatest-of-all-time zeitgeist holds no more water than when Montana was the greatest, Sims was the greatest, Aikman was the greatest, Favre was the greatest, Manning was the greatest, et. al., nonsense that has always been spewed by NFL talking heads just trying to hype the current status of the League. As soon as Brady is gone, you know there will be some other quarterback crowned the greatest of all time.

Last edited:

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Brady is/was like Peyton. They can read the defense and get rid of the ball so fast, they're not getting pressured like other QBs.

That's one of the main reasons those two were so dominant.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I am not joking. I have already done the research. The answer for amount of video evidence of Brady's clutch play is zero. All his highlights are of him in a clean uniform throwing touchdowns under zero pressure.

Remember when our man, Stan, a west coaster in the ice of Cleveland, took a rough sack, got up on 4th down, and, just before getting sacked again, threw a perfect bomb to Anthony Miller that put us in the post season for the first time in forever? Find me a similar play that Brady has done. Then I will find you 20-such plays that John Elway pulled off.

Don't talk to me about team accomplishments like Super Bowl victories. Show me Brady doing something great on his own. Show me him doing something better than Elway or Marino did. Show me that. Then maybe I will believe. Until then, this Brady being-the-greatest-of-all-time zeitgeist holds no more water than when Montana was the greatest, Sims was the greatest, Aikman was the greatest, Favre was the greatest, Manning was the greatest, et. al., nonsense that has always been spewed by NFL talking heads just trying to hype the current status of the League. As soon as Brady is gone, you know there will be some other quarterback crowned the greatest of all time.
Okay. I just fact-checked myself. Stan's play was on 3rd down and he had time to throw. Not as clutch as I thought. I know he did just get sacked on the previous play though. And it was fricking cold. Memory is a bee-yatch.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Brady is/was like Peyton. They can read the defense and get rid of the ball so fast, they're not getting pressured like other QBs.

That's one of the main reasons those two were so dominant.
Brady does not have an especially quick release. If he is making quick passes, it means receivers are getting open quickly. That isn't what I saw happening last week when I saw the last couple minutes of the Patsy game. Brady was making a bunch of bad decisions just like 99% of other QBs would have done under similar pressure.

Last edited:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
When will someone have the courage to tell the truth: That Brady only seems good because of Tyreek Hill?!?

And Michael Jordan? How did that bum get a rep for being good? Rubbish!!

And another thing, why do myopic, uncreative drones keep repeating that the earth is a sphere? Light up and think outside the box, Man...

Reactions: TTK

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
When will someone have the courage to tell the truth: That Brady only seems good because of Tyreek Hill?!?

And Michael Jordan? How did that bum get a rep for being good? Rubbish!!

And another thing, why do myopic, uncreative drones keep repeating that the earth is a sphere? Light up and think outside the box, Man...
Thinking Brady is not the greatest QB of all time is the same as thinking the Earth isn't a sphere?

I can find you lots of highlights of Michael Jordan looking great. Unlike the NFL, baseball and basketball don't have a new greatest-of-all-time every time the old greatest player retires. And, in both those sports, who the greatest of all time is is always a debate. Nobody is going to call you a conspiracy theorist if you think Chamberlain was better than Jordan or that Ted Williams was better than Babe Ruth.

Last edited:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Thinking Brady is not the greatest QB of all time is the same as thinking the Earth isn't a sphere?
There's room for rational persons to debate as to whether "Mr. Six Rings" is the very best ever.

But you've gone much further--saying multiple times that Brady is not great at all.
After many pronouncements that you've almost never seen him play. :confused:

Yes, this encroaches on "flat earth" territory.

It's so ridiculous, and you've pushed it so relentlessly, that it's crossed my mind that
the reason ChairCrusher hasn't been seen in a while, is because he's posting as Q.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
There's room for rational persons to debate as to whether "Mr. Six Rings" is the very best ever.

But you've gone much further--saying multiple times that Brady is not great at all.
After many pronouncements that you've almost never seen him play. :confused:

Yes, this encroaches on "flat earth" territory.

It's so ridiculous, and you've pushed it so relentlessly, that it's crossed my mind that
the reason ChairCrusher hasn't been seen in a while, is because he's posting as Q.
Brady is a better than average QB and has been for like two decades. He might be great, depending what you consider great. Being above average for two decades could certainly be considered great. How many QBs have done that? Brady? Blanda? But is Brady even close to being the best ever or even the best in the time I have been watching the NFL? I don't think so. I need to see evidence of Brady's greatness to be convinced otherwise. "Rings" isn't evidence of individual greatness. I have seen him play complete games fewer than 10 times, and he has never been great in any of those games. I have seen highlights of him, and he hasn't been great in any of those either. (You would think his highlights would show some greatness if he were truly the greatest.) But, like you said, I haven't seen him that much so I could be underestimating him. In the games I saw him play against the Spanoses, he didn't get much help from his o'linemen and played accordingly. If he were a crap QB, we would probably have won those games. If he had played great, considering that our offense played even worse than the Pats offense did, we probably would have been blown out. But, instead, Brady did what most above-average QBs do when faced with a strong pass rush; he made a bunch of errors. Fortunately for him, his team was always good enough and our team was always injured or boneheaded enough so that the Pats won anyway.

Flat-earthers are dumb. The earth is a spiral. I know this because the Earth has led the Milky Way to many spiral-galaxy titles. Don't worry that I am unable to post a single video of the Earth being a spiral.

Last edited:

Old School SD Fan

View from the King's balcony!
Jun 29, 2006
Always been a huge Brees fan, really was pizzed when Smith drafted Rivers instead of building around Brees. Rivers absolutely has never learned to trust his teammates in critical moments, when the pressure hits with the game on the line he tries to do too much and turns the ball over. That has been true his entire career. Obviously doesn't help the Chargers lead the NFL in injuries annually, but I always thought Rivers needed a good sports psychologist. Pretty much the opposite of Joe Montana in those situations.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
So, because nobody could find me video evidence of Brady playing like the greatest player ever, I went searching again on my own. I found a YouTube video called "Tom Brady Full Game Winning Drive vs Chiefs 2018 Championship." Brady was pressured once and overthrew his receiver. The other times he threw, he made good passes all but one time - but those were under zero pressure. When it came down to actually scoring, the Patriots chose to run the ball three times in a row.

You know, if I had the greatest quarterback ever and I needed a score to reach the Super Bowl, I wouldn't choose to run the ball three times in a row.