Brees Negotiation Info

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Originally read this on the UT forum, but I thought I'd add it here for discussion. Thoughts?

So, on Monday evening, with the medical evaluations in hand, the Dolphins, after determining that Brees and agent Tom Condon wouldn't reduce the contractual liability, turned their attentions back to acquiring quarterback Daunte Culpepper in a trade. Then, very early Tuesday morning -- reliable sources told ESPN.com -- Dolphins coach Nick Saban apprised Condon that Miami was out of the bidding for Brees. In fairness to Brees, Saban told Condon, the Dolphins would stay quiet about the results of the physical exam and the pending trade for Culpepper for a few hours. That would provide Condon and Brees, who had no negotiating leverage remaining with the Dolphins suddenly out of the picture, some time to complete the six-year, $60 million deal with Saints officials. In the end, the Dolphins simply thought Culpepper had a better chance of being on the field for training camp than Brees did.
"We're talking the quarterback position, right?" one Miami source said. "So what would you rather have, a guy coming off knee surgery or off shoulder surgery? You don't throw with your knee."

Thumper

WHS
Aug 24, 2005
www.bolttalk.com
ChargerRay said:
Originally read this on the UT forum, but I thought I'd add it here for discussion. Thoughts?
It was my understanding that Culpepper's injury was worse than Bree's. This wreaks of Dolphin PR. They have to save face to their fans. The quote that catches my eye is that you don't throw with your knee, but then again, your shoulder doesn't have to support you either. Whatever. Brees is gone, so it's pointless anyway. It's Rivers time here now.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I think Miami will end up regretting the choice.

Raiderssuckass

BoltTalker
Oct 18, 2005
Drew would have been better suited for Miami, but I can understand why they didn't want to shell out 10 mil for Drew. It's just too big of a risk for someone who may not even play much next year.

Reactions: BFISA

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I have heard the opposite that Drew chose the saints over Miami leaving the Dolphins having to go with Culpepper. But I doubt if we will ever truely know what happened, other than the Saints got a darn good QB in my opinion...

Everyone says Gates made Brees. I think they made each other.