Breaking Ground - New SDSU Stadium Work Commences

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Looks like this is the video those images were from.

Thanks.

From ashes will be new growth.

I hope the Spanni boys are getting new toys for Christmas.
Anyone knows if the NFL is going to follow their own rules?

As a result, the first $129 million (10 percent from each team) will be paid in late 2020, not in late 2019.

According to Ben Fischer of SportsBusiness Daily, the adjustment was made with no objection from any of there other owners, who will get $4.3 million each in the first year — and $43 million each overall.

Rams COO Kevin Demoff told Fischer that the one-year delay in payment arises from the one-year delay in the opening of the Inglewood Stadium the two teams will share, and that payment was “always designed to match up with the stadium opening.” Rains delayed the opening of the Inglewood venue from 2019 to 2020.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Of course, most of my memories of Jack Murphy Stadium
(aka: "The Q," aka: SDCCULGBTTTQQIAA Stadium) are football & baseball...
but there were also numerous international fútbol matches, the Seau Memorial :cry: & plenty o' concerts.
Probably the final time I was there was U2's 2017 re-working of the 1987 Joshua Tree Tour
(which I also saw, 30 years previous...probably @ the Sports Arena)

1607715653136.png

Roadies making final prep after Beck opened, and just before Edge started playing...

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Looks like this is the video those images were from.

As I see piles of blue seats, I can't help but wonder which are the ones I sat in...
so very many. It's sobering to think of how many of your life's most exciting moments
happened in one structure...that will soon be gone. The fucking piano doesn't help...

p.s. I also didn't want--for mostly aesthetic reasons--the horseshoe closed up...
but it seemed necessary to keep pro football here...so I accepted it.

Reactions: TTK

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Was surprised to find this AP story while reading Yahoo Finance, yesterday... :p

But it's good. Reminded me of some things that happened there (Barr's awful National Anthem, etc.)
that I'd forgotten about. It inspires me to want to make a list of my experiences there...
but I don't really have time, as I begin to collect gear for Yellowstone winter.
[as a kid, watching Fouts take over from Unitas in Oct of '73, '98 World Series, U2 (2 or 3x),
Cromartie's epic interception of P. Manning...one of 3 for him, and 6 (!) for the Chargers that rainy night...]

TTK

Swag Chain! SPIN IT!
Jul 30, 2007
That is friggin beautiful:laugh: you got some great friends:tup: FUDEAN. Please thank them for the forum for speking for all of San Diego.:tup:
I should have clarified. It's not my post but I found it on Twitter. Still, a job well done!

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I should have clarified. It's not my post but I found it on Twitter. Still, a job well done!
Ah ok, STILL, you have some good Twitter friends!!!! LMAO. That is so awesome whoever did that. That photo oughta be saved for all time and put in the SD Sports Hall of Fame, right up front.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
“Ah geez....that's a nice photo....you know, I don't wanna hold you up but....
but I need to ask.....has anyone every considered...I might just be needing some help here.....
That it was suicide? Mr. Q was depressed I understand for years....never given attention...
Abused by his clients.....lied to.....treated—-what's that?......it was natural....been certified?....
You see, I'm starting to think maybe....just maybe we have a problem here.”

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
What a shame. SD is a minor league town re: city council and making the correct decisions re: how to utilize the most prized area in the county for sports. And tearing down an iconic facility like that is really really sad......ah well SDSU gets what they wanted...I'm sure many who were involved with all that are the wealthier for their corruption. And the new Aztec stadium will forever serve as a monument to SD corruption and ineptness. I cannot wait to see the side by side photos before and after of the Q vs. the minor league college POS stadium. Jeebus SD sucks that way.

Reactions: Fender57

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I see the removal of stadium as a cleansing of the Spanni scum.
Let new life grow from trash. The SDSU Stadium will have local connection, not
a pathetic, cheap, egotistical cancer.

I love forward to the new Stadium. And away from the crappers that use to be there.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I see the removal of stadium as a cleansing of the Spanni scum.
Let new life grow from trash. The SDSU Stadium will have local connection, not
a pathetic, cheap, egotistical cancer.

I love forward to the new Stadium. And away from the crappers that use to be there.
glad you can make a positive out of it. I guess I just am not able to do that. Whenever I drive by and see it i'll ALWAYS remember what could have been, and yeah how spanos effed everyone over, but will think 'if we'd only had an owner like Tsai or someone who was able to be flexible, not take negotiations and the animus so personally that it made him impossible to deal with, we proabably would have a deal to develop that whole complex not just for SDSU (minor leagues) but all major league sports in an arena and in addition the NFL,,,,allow Tsai to develop the whole thing and the complex around it, with STILL enough space for tailgating' That is what I'll be thinking every time I see that POS college minor league stadium where once stood an architectural iconic stadium for pro football and even housed the Pads for quite a time. And in addition to that it will remind me how inept the City Council is/was and how corruption in politics in SD and with the Aztecs and anyone else associated (hoteliers, environmental attorneys, etc etc) led to that minor league looking stadium. Maybe we can dub it Son of Stubby. It's appropriate the Aztecs are going up to LA to play in Stubby Sr. for a year so they can get used to what a POS stadium feels like.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
I can't look.
At least not yet.

I'm well into my 50s, and yet that huge, central piece of land, just a few miles west of me,
was occupied by that cement leviathan for every day that I've been old enough to know what a stadium was.

I have no pre-stadium memories of San Diego.
I can't imagine ever driving past Mission Valley without thoughts of Hadl, Alworth,
Fouts, Kelcher, JJ, Winslow, Coryell, Seau, LT...and on and on and on...

Feels like a big corner of my life is being wiped away...

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I can't look.
At least not yet.

I'm well into my 50s, and yet that huge, central piece of land, just a few miles west of me,
was occupied by that cement leviathan for every day that I've been old enough to know what a stadium was.

I have no pre-stadium memories of San Diego.
I can't imagine ever driving past Mission Valley without thoughts of Hadl, Alworth,
Fouts, Kelcher, JJ, Winslow, Coryell, Seau, LT...and on and on and on...

Feels like a big corner of my life is being wiped away...
Great post which describes what will be the empty hollow feeling of pretty much 99% of those who spent most of their lives with that facility as the most visible landmark in Mission Valley and gave us all a feeling of community/optimism/structure/stability and most of all a San Diego sports historical anchor. Yup a big corner of many San Diegan's lives has been wiped away and all those memories of the Coryell and Ross and Schottenheimer years where we came damn close and the community was electric with anticipation, will be in the forefront of folks' minds for a long time....gone with the wind and i'm sure saddness will be the most common emotion for all us geezers. Don't blame you for not being able to look. Damn. I'm just sick seeing the photos. This is probably worse than the feeling I had when Balboa Stadium was destroyed and that was really really bad as I"d spent my childhood and teens going there to watch the famous Gillman era teams.

Oh, and the memory from that that will cause me the greatest amount of grief is the 1994 homecoming welcome for Ross' team that won the AFC Championship in PITT. The electricity of that spontaneous outburst from the city and being inside that stadium watching the busses on the way back from Lindbergh field on the jumbotron....with fans cheering , crying, feeling for the very first time what it was like to have a team representing our city in the SB, well I really dont think any other team in history has had that sort of wellcome home or spontaneous celebration for just making it to the championship game. That is the kind of sports town SD is if given a product that is competitive and if the owner demonstrates some sort of committment to them. SD will never see that replayed in MV ever again now. It is a hub for the city/county.....all roads lead there. Now it's just another piece of land with just another crap college with a crap football team and just another crap low budget college stadium sitting on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lance19

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
This drone footage is current through yesterday (3/10/21). Just under 7 minutes...
unless you like hipster music, leaving the audio off is a good choice...there's no audio info.
Drones are just made for this sort of thing.
It's soooo eerie to see it in that condition after over a half century of games, concerts, etc.

ETA: And, if you can take it, this time lapse shows pretty much from it being functional
to being greek ruins. Evidently Cal environmental laws (asbestos, etc) prevented just blowing it up...

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Seeing that incredible facility and the iconic architecture mauled like that is disheartening on so many levels. And I think the longer one had a history with that place the tougher it is to watch happen like this. If they had been contstucting a whole new stadium with similar architectural integrity and along with that a sports arena complex, it would be actually an exciting time for SD. But this is just a major deflation of SD's pride. A huge step BACKWARDS. What a mess. I am getting to the point where I will actively root against SDSU as I do against spenis. They HAD to collude and utilize corruption to be able to claim that whole area for themselves. It's really sick.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Gilly...connecting SDSU withe Spenis is wrong. They're building a nice looking 40,000 seat college stadium. Every new NFL stadium is going to be private funding, thus the location of where the funding wants to go is more important than the 'fans' of any area. New Buffalo Stadium plans were done in 2014, costing $1.4 billion, listing four city locations. Do you think any of that will happen?
Maybe if the Money wants to. But it's now $2 billion...by my guess...and Bills lease is up in 2023.
The League barons usually want a decision a year before. The League doesn't care about fans, just profits. The SDSU stadium is okay, if you can get enough money out of games played there. Plus, League has built stadium. It's ratings and sales.

Plus, if you can tear down Yankee Stadium with its history, you can tear down anything.

Fans? Listen to the fans? Never has happen, never will.

Reactions: TTK and Lance19

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I can see why Gilly is pissed. That site was chock full of collusion, there was (IMO) a concerted effort at city hall to “not try so hard” to keep the Chargers under current circumstances (agreeing to fund a new stadium), so they made it appear they were offering to fund it knowing full well a) Spenis was looking for a rigged game to move anyway, and b) knowing the temperature of the city wouldn’t allow any measure to pass. They had two legitimate development projects fighting each other to take that land (SDSU and Soccer City), both plans that could turn the city a modest profit (they truly got raped under each scenario) and washing their hands of the investment required to have a major league sport like the NFL. While I feel that this was all initiated by Spenis greed, the city just gladly sat back and allowed it to happen, even pushing the needle forward. Very short-sighted!

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Gilly...connecting SDSU withe Spenis is wrong. They're building a nice looking 40,000 seat college stadium. Every new NFL stadium is going to be private funding, thus the location of where the funding wants to go is more important than the 'fans' of any area. New Buffalo Stadium plans were done in 2014, costing $1.4 billion, listing four city locations. Do you think any of that will happen?
Maybe if the Money wants to. But it's now $2 billion...by my guess...and Bills lease is up in 2023.
The League barons usually want a decision a year before. The League doesn't care about fans, just profits. The SDSU stadium is okay, if you can get enough money out of games played there. Plus, League has built stadium. It's ratings and sales.

Plus, if you can tear down Yankee Stadium with its history, you can tear down anything.

Fans? Listen to the fans? Never has happen, never will.

I don't blame SDSU...

and I like the Yankee Stadium analogy (though surely some baseball purists would cringe).

My only objection to the new mini-stadium, was that, taking that bit of land, it would reduce the chances of eventually getting
a stadium big enough for an NFL team (again, I realize most here are really down on the NFL)

But that's all wind and sails, now...so I'm trying to look forward...it will be nice to watch an Aztecs game in a brand new facility...

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I can see why Gilly is pissed. That site was chock full of collusion, there was (IMO) a concerted effort at city hall to “not try so hard” to keep the Chargers under current circumstances (agreeing to fund a new stadium), so they made it appear they were offering to fund it knowing full well a) Spenis was looking for a rigged game to move anyway, and b) knowing the temperature of the city wouldn’t allow any measure to pass. They had two legitimate development projects fighting each other to take that land (SDSU and Soccer City), both plans that could turn the city a modest profit (they truly got raped under each scenario) and washing their hands of the investment required to have a major league sport like the NFL. While I feel that this was all initiated by Spenis greed, the city just gladly sat back and allowed it to happen, even pushing the needle forward. Very short-sighted!
Nail on head. They botched this whole thing going way back when they gave spenis the out on that lease and didn't protect the city. They even likely could have linked all the 2004 deal they were making with spenis to allow him to develop that land , to making sure the IP remained in SD forever....that way if that asshole ever DID to weasel his way out of town the bolt and colors would remain in SD for some other owner in the future. But not this dumbass city council. And much of that collusion and corruption involved the hoteliers correct? Wasn't faulconer in some kind of sleazy deal with them as well for rights to the land? And that guy wants to be governor???? LOL. So you have this incredibly valuable land and multiple ways to make money on it and the Asstecs and the hotliars and the spenises and sockhers all fighting for the land. IIRC the Asstecs didn't budge or offer SQUAT for that land/stadium build when the negotiations were ongoing with the chugs correct? I have no idea how that all played out behind closed doors but always wondered who would end up carrying the most weight in getting ahold of it by means of corruption. It's how the city operates. Not that they are the only city with that sort of behavior obviously lol. But just seeing that new stadium will always give me nausea. At the same time I can also see Harry's point of not 'linking' the Asstecs to spenis. That is fine. I'm just saying , like you are, that it's all part of the same greed scheme for land/money/stadiums/revenue/profit. To me that land was MEANT for a multipurpose huge sports complex PLUS major development for parks/apts,/townhomes/commercial/hotels.......it could have been sports heaven for San Diegans....and for decades to come. But Harry is right that the whole climate has changed and now it's corporations that run the show and the average fan cannot afford the huge investment required just to attend a fucking game. Imagine trying to take a family of four to that type of game if it's any pro sport. Ah well, still it all gives me a knot in the pit of my stomach and it's all linked at least partly to spenis. My hate for that guy will always supercede my hate for what happened with that land and thus the Asstecs getting it for themselves and them feeling at all good about how they now represent the complete failure of a city to do the right thing so all fans could benefit in the future. I do know I'm not going there to watch again. Those days are gone. I'm not gonna support the Asstecs anymore. No mas. The Asstecs are a big college wannabe and always have been re: sports. And re: academics....pfffft....they are WAAAAAY behind UCSD in that department. So yeah the Asstecs to me represent mediocrity. So for THEM to be the marquee in MV on that land is a billboard which screams MEDIOCRITY , settle for 2nd best in all you do SD. So let's now just hope our Padres can bring us a world championship so we can at least help shed the mantle of a sports medicocrity we've carried for years since Sid Gillman built the best team in pro football that year. Chicago never would have had a chance against that team.

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Multi-Use Stadium
The Multi-Use Stadium land use will support a multipurpose stadium and ancillary game-day uses to create an exciting visitor- serving experience within the campus. The area will be centered on a 35,000-person capacity stadium. The Multi-Use Stadium area will provide for a seamless transition to retail uses (to the east) and conference space in adjacent hospitality uses (to the north).
The Multi-Use Stadium land use will also provide a 7.1-acre “Tailgate Park” area, which will be programmed as an active park with Multi-use Recreation Fields for campus residents and visitors, and which can be converted to approximately 1,140 temporary parking spaces during major stadium events.
The Multi-Use Stadium and adjacent fields will be located in the northwestern portion of the campus plan area due to the close proximity of major circulation roadways (Friars Road and Street
A), to facilitate access into and out of game-day events and minimize traffic through the remainder of the campus plan area. Additionally, mobility connections from the Trolley Stadium Station will connect transit users to the Multi-Use Stadium area. The Multi- Use Stadium will also provide for an open concourse space on the northern edge adjacent to the Campus Hotel and Conference use, which will provide additional outdoor activity space supporting stadium, conference and everyday activities.

There will never be another 70,000 seat stadium built. But 55,000 might be possible.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Multi-Use Stadium
The Multi-Use Stadium land use will support a multipurpose stadium and ancillary game-day uses to create an exciting visitor- serving experience within the campus. The area will be centered on a 35,000-person capacity stadium. The Multi-Use Stadium area will provide for a seamless transition to retail uses (to the east) and conference space in adjacent hospitality uses (to the north).
The Multi-Use Stadium land use will also provide a 7.1-acre “Tailgate Park” area, which will be programmed as an active park with Multi-use Recreation Fields for campus residents and visitors, and which can be converted to approximately 1,140 temporary parking spaces during major stadium events.
The Multi-Use Stadium and adjacent fields will be located in the northwestern portion of the campus plan area due to the close proximity of major circulation roadways (Friars Road and Street
A), to facilitate access into and out of game-day events and minimize traffic through the remainder of the campus plan area. Additionally, mobility connections from the Trolley Stadium Station will connect transit users to the Multi-Use Stadium area. The Multi- Use Stadium will also provide for an open concourse space on the northern edge adjacent to the Campus Hotel and Conference use, which will provide additional outdoor activity space supporting stadium, conference and everyday activities.

There will never be another 70,000 seat stadium built. But 55,000 might be possible.

ha, that looks like a little larger version of the Stubby. Mediocrity. Read what the article says about NFL teams and stadium size andcontrol of the stadium. NOT. EVER. GOING. TO. HAPPEN. And the Asstecs KNOW that. That was just trying to weasel a deal all could accept. Anyone thinking the NFL or a good NFL owner would accept that fucking deal is delusional.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
ha, that looks like a little larger version of the Stubby. Mediocrity. Read what the article says about NFL teams and stadium size andcontrol of the stadium. NOT. EVER. GOING. TO. HAPPEN. And the Asstecs KNOW that. That was just trying to weasel a deal all could accept. Anyone thinking the NFL or a good NFL owner would accept that fucking deal is delusional.
If a new owner...a real owner, aka billionaire...wants to build a stadium or corporate headquarters in San Diego they'll do so. There is no longer any more municipal or state money available (as the Bills fans will soon find out). Fans or cities are only important if that new owner is a fan of a team or city. I recall, the news reports that the Library at Alexandria was no more....bummed me out....the Library which was started in 248BC and lasted, despite rumors that Julius Caesar burning of his ships, which only caused partial destruction of the Library, to its final destruction in 642AD by the Calip Omar.....

If folks today know nothing about it......
Well, let's just say a fire destroyed the Murph. It's a memory now.

77590080-D99F-4E91-B505-275BE1744AE6.jpeg

D5BDCD40-3B93-45DC-8613-C8C06944139A.jpeg

• Haha