Brad Hand

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
We traded him for a catching prospect who we have barely let play. The catching prospect, Francisco Mejia, didn't go Tatis and start out like gangbusters so, according to some articles on the Net, the Padres may trade Mejia.

So, let me get this straight. We traded our successful closer and another reliever for a minor leaguer we benched and quit on in less than a year? Sounds like we have a great plan for the future. Sounds like we are really patient with our young players.

Who is making these decisions?

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Good question.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Preller made that decision. At the time Mejia was considered a great prospect and the Indians did not want to include him but acquiesced because they were desperate for a closer. At the time we were not, we were in last place and Hedges was not hitting (and still not hitting).

The roster and prospects are a fluid situation. Sometimes they don’t pan out. I’d like to see how a real manager handles the current 40 man roster before we insinuate that “whoever is in charge” gets called to the carpet. Green, in my opinion, has not shown he can develop a solid major league lineup day in day out. I need to see someone else utilize this talent, and if these guys do not pan out then I’m willing to start putting the screws to Preller. Blaming him now is way too premature.

Last time I’m gonna talk about this. Rejoice.

Last edited:

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
The Padres ownership need to understand the impression the most faithful Padres fans have. That being the owners will sell off the talent at the drop of a hat. I don't know how they overcome the stigmata of it, but until they do, everything they do, right or wrong will be judged in that light.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The Padres ownership need to understand the impression the most faithful Padres fans have. That being the owners will sell off the talent at the drop of a hat. I don't know how they overcome the stigmata of it, but until they do, everything they do, right or wrong will be judged in that light.
True dat. They are gonna be questioned up until the moves they make bear fruit in the form of a competitive team that vies for first in the division and then from there can go deep in the playoffs. Where is all the 'hot lava' ???? Does not seem to be flowing this year for sure. And agree with Fender re: Green, it may be the greatest obstacle......is he really developing and optimally developing the young talent? Seems to me that if this is a very young team and prospects will be joining them, a veteran manager with all the experience in the world in taking young talent and making them overachieve would be the type of manager we'd want. And on top of that a veteran manager who is known for in-game management and outwitting the opponent, and also who could inspire confidence in the team as a whole..create a winning culture. Green only has minor league HC experience, albeit supposedly impressive, prior to this gig. One thing he does really really well is spit out sunflower seeds, I DO know that about him LOLOLOLOL.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
On a more positive note,,,,,,,,the Hatchet broke out last nite with 2 HR's so hopefully Machado is going to turn things around at the plate. On the slight negative as TKK pointed out, is they were not in clutch situations. Manny needs to come thru with that stuff like Renfroe has to date....in the clutch to win games when all is on the line....and also when there are runners on base. It's what he was brought in to do with that huge contract. I hope last night is a sign he may be getting ready to bust out. It sure would help our crappy pitching.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
True dat. They are gonna be questioned up until the moves they make bear fruit in the form of a competitive team that vies for first in the division and then from there can go deep in the playoffs. Where is all the 'hot lava' ???? Does not seem to be flowing this year for sure. And agree with Fender re: Green, it may be the greatest obstacle......is he really developing and optimally developing the young talent? Seems to me that if this is a very young team and prospects will be joining them, a veteran manager with all the experience in the world in taking young talent and making them overachieve would be the type of manager we'd want. And on top of that a veteran manager who is known for in-game management and outwitting the opponent, and also who could inspire confidence in the team as a whole..create a winning culture. Green only has minor league HC experience, albeit supposedly impressive, prior to this gig. One thing he does really really well is spit out sunflower seeds, I DO know that about him LOLOLOLOL.
You don't have that now?
They have been competitive before they were expecting to. Hasn't the Padres been saying they are 1 to 2 years out? They have been very competitive, and this is not like a football season where 1 or 2 losses can put you out. This is Baseball where there are enough games most seasons have teams come from worst to first in some division...

The Padres have what is respected as the best farm system in the majors. If you do not like how they are moving and handling young talent, what is it going to take to make you a happy fan?

I am sure there is some blame to be laid on the Pads. I am sure there is the typical sports fan frustration of 'We are not undeafeated! RIOT!' that is in every sport... But are the Pads this season as bad as past seasons?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
You don't have that now?
They have been competitive before they were expecting to. Hasn't the Padres been saying they are 1 to 2 years out? They have been very competitive, and this is not like a football season where 1 or 2 losses can put you out. This is Baseball where there are enough games most seasons have teams come from worst to first in some division...

The Padres have what is respected as the best farm system in the majors. If you do not like how they are moving and handling young talent, what is it going to take to make you a happy fan?

I am sure there is some blame to be laid on the Pads. I am sure there is the typical sports fan frustration of 'We are not undeafeated! RIOT!' that is in every sport... But are the Pads this season as bad as past seasons?
They are not. They are clearly a work in progress. I never believed this year they’d legitimately compete, Ive always felt 2020 was when they’d make a real move, so I’m patient myself. I think they have a core team and while it’s frustrating to see them sputter offensively I think we really should look at the big picture with guys like Manny and Hosmer, they will pay dividends once management is a little more stable, which IMO it is not - I do believe they need to make a change at the manager position to get to the next level.

They do need to resolve the middle relief situation and the OF as well but I’d hope they’d wait until the offseason to make those moves.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
You don't have that now?

Well preseason it was expected we'd be happy with .500 and improved. We are sliding away from that watershed currently having lost 5 straight. We'll see how it goes from here......and the 'best farm system in the majors' is just potential until it bears fruit. Tatis is dynamite, that's a winner. Paddack was really exciting and looked to be unbeatable then started to have issues......he gets a pass for the TJ surgery and still not durable and was sent down for rest and to work on the curbeball. I'm not sure where the rest of that farm system is bearing fruit......Naylor looks like maybe he's gonna stick. But where else? I still think Green might not be the right guy to get the most out of this group.

So as to your question "what is it gonna take?" I'd answer continued improvement in the record steadily....I don't and never did expect we'd win the division this year or jump last to first. We should be .500 this year or better IMO. Then the new talent should be worked in over the next 1-2 years and by that time starting to make a run for the top of the division.

You said it, we as San Diegans are wary of the organization by history. They've allegedly committed to spending to win. They've allegedly put together a top notch group of prospects. But proof is in the pudding. Baseball pudding takes longer than football pudding I guess. Excuse me if I remain leary until I see the results.

Even in football I was always anti spanos and how that club was run in SD......never trusted the way they put together a club....they had players then went for losing coaches, they traded away great players or cut them when they went elsewhere and starred. So label me a skeptic, I'm glad to wear the label. SD media and fans have long accepted mediocrity and not called it out. When I see a real bona fide championship team put together with a bona fide champion quality manager then maybe I'll be less skeptical.

Reactions: Concudan

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
They are not. They are clearly a work in progress. I never believed this year they’d legitimately compete, Ive always felt 2020 was when they’d make a real move, so I’m patient myself. I think they have a core team and while it’s frustrating to see them sputter offensively I think we really should look at the big picture with guys like Manny and Hosmer, they will pay dividends once management is a little more stable, which IMO it is not - I do believe they need to make a change at the manager position to get to the next level.

They do need to resolve the middle relief situation and the OF as well but I’d hope they’d wait until the offseason to make those moves.
it's definitely a work in progress and the question you bring up re: Green is IMO the biggest question mark. Is he the guy that can take all this potential to the next level? I guess the management must think so.....I like you am skeptical. And it's not just the bullpen, the starters are a question mark although they are young. I hope they develop by next year into a reliable group....our pitching coach is considered amongst the best so there's that. We still have many holes and players to develop into reliable vets. Seeing this last 5 game slide is a real frustration to me......it looks like they might be losing the fire and confidence they had at the start when they were winning close games and finding ways to eek out those wins, whereas now they seem to be finding ways to lose. Last night defensively we stunk...2 errant throws into the stands. It's like they've lost focus and maybe the hope they'd be competitive in the division. The point differential sort of tells the story....we are 4th in our division. At least we aren't the Giants who are -87 or something. But fact is we got swept by that team. Ruh roh.