Bartender's $10,000 windfall becomes real

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14723090/

First came the tip, now comes the cash

Bartender’s $10,000 tip windfall ($6,300 after taxes) is one with her wallet

Associated Press
Updated: 4:57 p.m. PT Sept 7, 2006

HUTCHINSON, Kan. - A bartender who last week was left a $10,000 tip by a regular customer now has more than the excitement of the offer: She has the cash.

Cindy Kienow received a check Tuesday from Applebee's franchise owner J.S. Stevens for about $6,300, her share of the tip after taxes.

The customer gave Kienow the hefty tip Aug. 27 on a $26 meal. But since he paid by credit card, the restaurant wanted to make sure it was a valid charge before giving Kienow the money.

"I've had a lot of fun," Kienow said of the last week, which has included interviews with media from across the globe. "A lot of customers are like, 'I can't afford to sit at the bar anymore.' It's been really crazy."

Restaurant officials have declined to identify the tipper.

"I hate to say it, but I really don't know him," Kienow said. "You become friends with your customers.... I think he just appreciated the fact that I took the time to talk with him."

Kienow, 35, said now that the media frenzy has died down, she is content to keep serving customers at the restaurant, where she has worked for the last eight years.

"That's the pure joy of my job, that I just get to talk with people," she said.

As for what she'll do with the money, Kienow has said she got the impression her customer wanted her to buy something special, adding that "there's a Jeep that I've had my eye on for a while."

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
Geez, I thot I was a good tipper!!:icon_eek: :icon_mrgreen: :lol:

Good for her!!:tup:

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
BFISA said:
Geez, I thot I was a good tipper!!:icon_eek: :icon_mrgreen: :lol:

Good for her!!:tup:
From what I hear, as per rumor, the tipper was some guy who had recently won millions in the lottery and wanted to spread some of his money around to good people who really deserve the money.

If I ever won tens of millions in the lottery, I might do the same thing. Give away several hundred thousand or more each year to people I deem need it and are deserving.

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
WonderSlug said:
From what I hear, as per rumor, the tipper was some guy who had recently won millions in the lottery and wanted to spread some of his money around to good people who really deserve the money.

If I ever won tens of millions in the lottery, I might do the same thing. Give away several hundred thousand or more each year to people I deem need it and are deserving.
I've thot about that ever since we got the lotto here in Texas.