Barnwell ranks the best QBs to never reach a Super Bowl: Could Philip Rivers be No. 1?

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Nice list. I agree with it. Rivers being compared to the likes of Warren Moon & Tony Romo sounds about right.

MFIC came in 3rd

Closest trip to the Super Bowl: 1980. The closest Fouts ever came to a Super Bowl, then, is his one remaining playoff trip. After throwing for 314 yards and two touchdowns in a comeback win over the Bills, Fouts and the Chargers were four-point favorites in the AFC Championship Game at home against the Raiders. On the third play of the game, the Raiders saw a pass bounce off of one receiver and into the arms of tight end Raymond Chester, who took it to the house for a 65-yard touchdown. Oakland got up 28-7 in the second quarter, and while Fouts was able to lead a comeback to get within one touchdown at 34-27 with 6:43 to go, the Raiders were able to hold the ball for the remainder of the game without needing to punt.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28021754/barnwell-ranks-best-qbs-never-reach-super-bowl-philip-rivers-no-1

There's no quarterback in modern league history, though, who has delivered more above-average seasons without sneaking into a Super Bowl than the man who will make his 229th career start for the Chargers on Thursday night. Rivers has been good enough to snuff out the idea that the Chargers made a horrific mistake by letting Drew Brees leave for the Saints in free agency after the 2005 season. Brees turned out to be the better quarterback, but the Chargers have been blessed with very good quarterback play from the moment Rivers took over.

In turn, he has been repeatedly let down, only at times by himself. There have been injuries and ill-timed mistakes and breathtakingly bad units elsewhere on the roster. While contemporaries Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning have had the breaks go their way during fateful runs in January, Rivers hasn't been able to catch a break.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
I largely agree with it...with a few quibbles:
Fouts was a better QB than Rivers. The record book was his for about a 4 year run. Rivers has always been solid...but never dominating, like Fouts.

Blake?!? Well, if nothing else, this article reminded me that there was once an NFL player named "Jeff Blake." :p Had forgot, because, you know: Priorities!

"...presence of Cutler on any top-10 list will invariably get some people angry." Yes, but it's not just the mind-blowing douchebaggery,
he also was a mediocre player. Having a strong arm, Droopy Dawg eyes, a stupid mouth and diabetes is not enough to put Cutler on this list...

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I didn't make it past Fouts. Is Neil Lomax on the list? Randall Cunningham? Michael Vick? Chrissy Everette?

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
I take everything back after seeing rivers choke away another game in the final drive

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I don’t even think rivers belongs in the same discussion as MFIC. Fouts record was obtained during a far more difficult era for qbs and offenses in general. No comparison. PLUS getting hit made Fouts even more determined and focused whereas PR comes unglued. Gruden knew that and their defensive strategy worked. I figured they were dead when they couldn’t run for most of the game, but they let the chuggers make the critical mistakes, concentrated on getting to rivers and the receivers and allowed the chugs to run. Brilliant.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I don’t even think rivers belongs in the same discussion as MFIC. Fouts record was obtained during a far more difficult era for qbs and offenses in general. No comparison. PLUS getting hit made Fouts even more determined and focused whereas PR comes unglued. Gruden knew that and their defensive strategy worked. I figured they were dead when they couldn’t run for most of the game, but they let the chuggers make the critical mistakes, concentrated on getting to rivers and the receivers and allowed the chugs to run. Brilliant.
It was a 60 minute strategy Chucky implemented that almost didn’t work for the Duhs. Fortunately, it was Rivers to the rescue to save the day for Las Vegas.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I support your central argument - that Fouts was way better than Rivers. However, I don't agree with the details. Rivers handles the pass rush better than most. He is a really good QB. However, Fouts had a release rivaled only by Dan Marino and mastered what was, at the time, a cutting-edge offense. He is on my Top 10 list of greatest quarterbacks I have seen; Rivers is not.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
I take everything back after seeing rivers choke away another game in the final drive
And that's the thing: Rivers might have 15 more such opportunities and fail in 13 of them
(as us lifers know him to usually do...)...but folks will still say:
"Don't look at how he actually plays when it matters: Look instead at the numbers that can
be piled up from so many seasons of playing in the 'pass-friendly rules era' "
:unsure: Uh...yay?

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
And that's the thing: Rivers might have 15 more such opportunities and fail in 13 of them
(as us lifers know him to usually do...)...but folks will still say:
"Don't look at how he actually plays when it matters: Look instead at the numbers that can
be piled up from so many seasons of playing in the 'pass-friendly rules era' "
:unsure: Uh...yay?
Or you could just watch him play. That is generally how I figure out if somebody is good. Sometimes I don't have the knowledge to spot talent on my own, but sometimes it is obvious. Rivers's talent has been obvious since about year three or four.

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
MFIC never had a decent defense. He would score 40 points and his defense would allow 45.

Spaz is over rated. He has never mastered the dink and dunk, nor the screen pass.

The last drive of the Raider game with the season on the line is all you need to see to sum up his career.

Bring on Easton Stick. Team needs a mobile QB.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I support your central argument - that Fouts was way better than Rivers. However, I don't agree with the details. Rivers handles the pass rush better than most. He is a really good QB. However, Fouts had a release rivaled only by Dan Marino and mastered what was, at the time, a cutting-edge offense. He is on my Top 10 list of greatest quarterbacks I have seen; Rivers is not.
I guess the point I was making is that in HIS era, Fouts got hit a lot and a lot harder and with shots to the head (see classic bloody nose with tape photo). Rivers is good no question, and also is quick to make reads and has a lot of saavy. But if he were to be hit like Fouts and often , most games he starts to get rattled and makes the mistakes, as on Sunday against the Raiders. Fouts seemed to work his way thru that. But also Fouts had some issues in the post season.....so he was by no means perfect. But really it's apples and oranges.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
MFIC never had a decent defense. He would score 40 points and his defense would allow 45.

Spaz is over rated. He has never mastered the dink and dunk, nor the screen pass.

The last drive of the Raider game with the season on the line is all you need to see to sum up his career.

Bring on Easton Stick. Team needs a mobile QB.
Yeah I always will wonder how good those Coryell teams could have been had they ever had a shutdown D. Some say the offense scored so quickly the D got gassed (kind of like the Chip Kelly conundrum). I'm not so sure....if they just held a team to a couple of series and didn't do the damn 'bend don't break' tom bass crap, they'd have been on the field a hell of a lot less and the Coryell teams woulda put up 90 points instead of 45 LOL

RamAirVA

Curse and Damn You Spanos!
Nov 12, 2007
Depends on the Week
Yeah I always will wonder how good those Coryell teams could have been had they ever had a shutdown D. Some say the offense scored so quickly the D got gassed (kind of like the Chip Kelly conundrum). I'm not so sure....if they just held a team to a couple of series and didn't do the damn 'bend don't break' tom bass crap, they'd have been on the field a hell of a lot less and the Coryell teams woulda put up 90 points instead of 45 LOL
Had Klein not been such a cheap bastard we might have found out...

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
We had a shutdown D that won some championships for the 9ers' criminal owner. I miss Big Hands and Big Louie. (Okay. Louie is still alive (I hope), but I miss yelling out his name.)