• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Aztecs winnin games lately

Aztecs have been winning most of their basketball games lately including a big one over Utah State. Unfortunately, we got the #7 team in our conference so we probably aren't going to the NCAA Tourney. Maybe we can make a run at the NIT championship.

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Aztecs have been winning most of their basketball games lately including a big one over Utah State. Unfortunately, we got the #7 team in our conference so we probably aren't going to the NCAA Tourney. Maybe we can make a run at the NIT championship.
We win the MWC Tourney like we did last season and we get an automatic tourney berth. Hopefully, we are still peaking and will play our best ball then. Go Aztecs!

We win the MWC Tourney like we did last season and we get an automatic tourney berth. Hopefully, we are still peaking and will play our best ball then. Go Aztecs!
Yea. I don't think we would have a great shot at beating a Top 10 team, but I guess that is something to root for. Maybe this post-Fisher coach has the team play dead for half a season before gearing up for March.

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
SDSU avenges early blowout loss against Boise State

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...etball-boise-state-viejas-20190216-story.html

By now, Mountain West teams should know Devin Watson’s shot fake is coming. Boise State guard Pat Dembley apparently did as the shot clock ticked down from 5, 4, 3 and Watson dribbled 30 feet from the basket with 2½ minutes remaining in a tight, taut game.
So he didn’t completely bite on it.
Watson, out of options, instead leaned into Dembley and hoisted the 25-footer anyway.
“He actually tapped my elbow a little bit,” Watson said, “but I was able to gain control of the ball in mid-air and get off my normal follow-through.”

And made it anyway.
It was the exclamation point – or, in this case, points – in a sometimes sloppy 71-65 win against Boise State in a Saturday afternoon game at Viejas Arena. But a win nonetheless by a surging team with six in their last seven games with No. 7 Nevada here on Wednesday.
It avenged a 24-point loss at Boise’s Taco Bell Arena in the conference opener last month, and made it six straight for the Aztecs when facing a conference foe that beat them in the previous meeting. Retribution, it seems, is a powerful elixir for this group.
“There was a lot of chirping the last time we played Boise at their place,” Watson said. “I told them we had something for them when we got back (to Viejas), and I felt like we handled that.”

“It’s a big win,” added fellow senior Jeremy Hemsley. “We went up there and we got embarrassed.”
It didn’t end without controversy, after Watson made his free throws down the stretch to clinch it. Watson rebounded Boise State’s final miss and shoveled the ball to Jalen McDaniels as the final seconds expired.
And McDaniels taunted forward RJ Williams by pushing the ball toward his face, creating a tense situation in front of the visitor’s bench while Boise State coach Leon Rice angrily chased after referee Randy McCall to complain.
It wasn’t McDaniels’ first brush with late-game angst this season. In a 94-77 home win against UNLV last month, McDaniels took and made a deep 3-pointer at the buzzer to give him a career-high 30 points, violating an unwritten code of sportsmanship and drawing the ire of Rebels players – one of whom called it a “slap in the face.”

“I don’t try to coach other teams’ kids,” Rice said about McDaniels, a player he recruited out of high school. “I know (Brian) Dutcher runs a good program, going back to (Steve) Fisher. I mean, we’re coaching kids. I’ve had guys do dumb things. You’re trying to educate them on doing the right things … It doesn’t mean our players are perfect. My guys aren’t ever going to be perfect. My guys make mistakes and do dumb things.
“I don’t want a brawl at the end of the game. If my guy came back and swung at him or something, then we’ve got a nasty situation. Let’s not have that. That’s my point.”
Dutcher said he didn’t see the incident but would review it on tape.
“Two teams competing hard,” Dutcher said. “Hopefully nothing lingering with that. I know both programs respect each other.”
McDaniels was not made available to the media for a 16th straight game.
Another streak that continued was SDSU’s 12th straight conference home win, which solidified its hold on fourth place in the Mountain West and the accompanying first-round bye in the conference tournament next month in Las Vegas. The Aztecs (16-9, 8-4) have a 2½-game lead over sixth-place Boise State (11-15, 6-7) with six to play.
“I think it’s maturity,” Dutcher said when asked about the difference in his team from the first meeting with the Broncos. “The sophomores are getting better. The freshmen were kind of not ready for that moment at Boise. They’ve stepped up … We’re getting contributions from everybody who’s playing.”
Watson went 8 of 10 from the line and finished with 19 points, all but three coming in the second half. McDaniels had 18 points and seven rebounds. Matt Mitchell (13 points, seven points), Nathan Mensah (10 points, eight rebounds) and Jeremy Hemsley (seven points, five rebounds, six assists, two blocks) also filled the stat sheet. Freshman Aguek Arop had a big basket and block midway through the second-half to stem Broncos runs.
The other difference: His team can rebound now. They lost the battle of the boards 33-25 in the first game and won it 43-25 on Saturday, including 17 offensive rebounds that was a season high for conference games.
Whether the Aztecs were looking ahead to Wednesday’s showdown against Nevada, they played like it for the opening 20 minutes – lethargic, hesitant, erratic. Or put it this way: The teams combined for 20 baskets and 19 turnovers. Boise State missed four of its first five free throws. SDSU missed all six of its 3-point attempts.
The score: Broncos 29, Aztecs 25.
But they fixed their offensive problems at halftime and scored on their next seven possessions. That ignited a 16-2 run, their third game-altering spurt in eight days – following 23-0 against Utah State here last weekend and 17-1 at Colorado State on Tuesday.
The Broncos hung around, though, behind 19 points from junior Justinian Jessop and closed to 61-56 with 2½ minutes to go and the shot clock running down. The Aztecs got the ball to Watson and got out of the way. They knew what was coming.
So did Dembley, though.
It didn’t matter.
“Guarding him in practice, he makes tough shots all the time,” Hemsley said. “I don’t think any of us were surprised. We knew he was going to take the shot. That tough shot he made was not the first one and won’t be the last.”
Notable
Sophomore wing Jordan Schakel did not play for the sixth time in seven games after rolling an ankle on Jan. 22. Mensah missed the last two days of practice with back spasms but was able to start and play 22 minutes … The Aztecs are now 4-0 when Mensah scores in double figures. He also won the opening tip, making the Aztecs 7-1 in conference games when he does … Hemsley moved up another spot on the all-time scoring list, to ninth with 1,311 career points …
Boise State sophomore Derrick Alston had 30 points in the first meeting coming off the bench, and 12 on Saturday as a starter … The Broncos were 16 of 17 from the line in Tuesday’s loss at Fresno State and just 9 of 17 on Saturday, including seven misses in their first 10 attempts … The Broncos had a 23-4 advantage in bench scoring and 26-9 in points off turnovers … The announced crowd was 11,040.

Aztecs, Padres, and Fleet rule.

Do we remember when the Norv Spanoses would dick around for half a season before making a run to the playoffs and sticking it to the Manning Irsays? I am starting to think Aztecs basketball has revived that style. Let's hope that is true and that it is the only bit of Norv's legacy that has stuck around in San Diego.

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Nice. I see our weakness now. It is the road. Aztecs are a home team.
But they've won the last 2 on the road so hopefully, they're over that hump. They got a tough schedule to close out the season and still have to win the MW tourney to get into the dance.

But they've won the last 2 on the road so hopefully, they're over that hump. They got a tough schedule to close out the season and still have to win the MW tourney to get into the dance.
Any chance we can finish #2 in the Mountain West tournament and still make the NCAAs? It seems beating Nevada once should count for something.

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Any chance we can finish #2 in the Mountain West tournament and still make the NCAAs? It seems beating Nevada once should count for something.
If they had run the table which includes beating Nevada twice then I'd say they'd have a shot to get a bid. But that last loss in Utah hurt those chances. We won the MWC last season so we could do it again.

If they had run the table which includes beating Nevada twice then I'd say they'd have a shot to get a bid. But that last loss in Utah hurt those chances. We won the MWC last season so we could do it again.
Yea. If the entire tourney were at home, we would have a good chance.

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
A brutal home loss last night to Fresno St.

Aztecs collapse late against Fresno State, finish fourth in Mountain West

If you want to get the gist of San Diego State’s season, if you want to understand the vibe from 30 games and 1,200 minutes of basketball, skip the first 1,198 and just watch the final two from the season’s final home game Wednesday night at soldout Viejas Arena.
So much promise.
So much disappointment.
The Aztecs trailed Fresno State by 15 points in the first half on Senior Night, led by eight inside two minutes to go, still led by six with just over a minute to go … and somehow lost 76-74.
“I’m bitterly disappointed,” said coach Brian Dutcher, borrowing a line from former boss Steve Fisher. “Sometimes you play well when you’re not rewarded. We made enough mistakes at the end that left a bad taste in our mouths ... In a matter of a minute, it all slipped away.”
It was a cruel, crushing, confounding defeat against former assistant Justin Hutson, Fresno State’s rookie head coach, and it cast a pall over an encouraging late-season resurgence — like a thick fog pouring through the Golden Gate on a sunny, summer day — just a week before their only hope for salvation at the Mountain West Tournament in Las Vegas.
The loss dumped the Aztecs (19-11, 11-6) to the No. 4 seed no matter what happens in the regular-season finale at No. 17 Nevada on Saturday in Reno, a game that has all the trappings of an epic rout given that the shell-shocked Aztecs have nothing to play for and the Wolf Pack need to win on its Senior Night to share the conference title with Utah State.
Then it’s on to Las Vegas, where they’ll face UNLV, already locked into the fifth seed, in the quarterfinals on March 14 at 2:30 p.m. in the Rebels’ home arena. The Aztecs swept the season series, but the win at the Thomas & Mack Center was by a point when the Rebels missed an open 3 at the buzzer. And you know the old adage about how hard it is beating the same team three times in the same season.
Fresno State (21-8, 12-5), meanwhile, gets the 3 seed and faces the winner of the play-in game between the 6 and 11 seeds (currently Air Force and San Jose State). It likely avoids Nevada until the final.
But enough about next week. How in the name of James Naismith do you blow an eight-point lead, at home, on Senior Night, in less than two minutes?
You start by unnecessarily fouling Braxton Huggins, Fresno State’s leading scorer, on a 3-point attempt in the corner. It was Nathan Mensah’s fifth foul, robbing the Aztecs of their advantage inside with Fresno State big Nate Grimes already fouled out and giving Huggins three free throws, which he made.
Then you twice fail to grab the rebound off Fresno State misses and watch the ball tipped out to all-conference guard Deshon Taylor for a wide-open 3, which he made.
Then came three straight SDSU turnovers — one by Jalen McDaniels, two by Devin Watson — against a ferocious press that Fresno State converted into six points for a 75-72 lead with 16 seconds left.
Even then, the Aztecs still had a chance. They got a gift with 10.1 seconds left from referee David Hall, who whistled New Williams for an iffy foul on McDaniels as he hoisted a desperation 3. McDaniels made the first two free throws, but the third bounced off the front rim.
Even then, the Aztecs still had a chance.
They got the ball back, down two with eight seconds left, after Taylor (25 points) made only one of two free throws. But they couldn’t get a clean look, and Watson’s heave at the buzzer clanked off the rim.
“We ran a pretty good play,” Dutcher said of 5 Crack, where a big sets a screen at midcourt for the point guard dribbling at full speed. “(Aguek Arop) set a crushing screen on Deshon Taylor. Devin was in between trying to decide whether he wanted to go all the way to the basket or shoot the 3 for the win, and he fumbled the ball.”
That it even got to that point, though, is the bigger issue. Dutcher has been criticized all season for not calling timeouts early in games to stem opposing runs, reasoning that he wants to save them for the final minutes in case his team is ahead and struggles against the press.
So he had three left. He didn’t use any during the frenzied 27 seconds in which his team coughed up back-to-back-to-back turnovers.
It wasn’t all his fault. The NCAA changed the rule a few years back so that coaches can call timeout during dead-ball — but not live-ball — situations. Once the ball was inbounded and the Bulldogs sprung their trap, only players could call them.
And they didn’t.
“We let them speed us up a little bit,” said senior guard Jeremy Hemsley, like Watson playing his final game at Viejas Arena. “Having two senior guards on the court, we’ve got to know that we have a timeout (left), so if anything I’m mad at myself for not at least calling the timeout and recognizing that.”
They also had to know Hutson would press. He was an SDSU assistant for 10 years and was the de facto defensive coordinator who was a proponent of full-court pressure.
“We have a press that we’ve been working on,” Hutson said, “so we wanted to do that without fouling. It helped us out.”
The final buzzer sounded, and Hutson pumped a triumphant fist. He is now a staggering 24-2 coaching against schools where he once was on staff: SDSU, UNLV, Cal Poly and Bakersfield. He is 5-1 against SDSU, 3-1 during a two-year detour to UNLV and now 2-0 at Fresno State.
It amounted to a buzzkill on an emotional night at Viejas Arena, with the Aztecs bidding farewell to three seniors: Hemsley, Watson and student-manager-turned-player Michael Sohikish. And after going back and forth with his staff all week whether he should start a 5-foot-9 guard who had never appeared in a game before 7:08 left in the second half, Dutcher pulled the trigger. Out trotted Sohikish for the opening tip.
Fresno State won it, and Sohikish was matched up against Huggins, a 6-4 redshirt senior who is fourth in the Mountain West in scoring at 19 points per game.
The shot clock running down, the Bulldogs isolated Huggins at the top against Sohikish. He drove right and Sohikish nearly picked him clean. Huggins recovered the ball and tried to go left. Sohikish cut him off, forcing a fallaway jumper at the shot-clock buzzer that was short.
The Viejas crowd roared.
But that was the last roar for a while. The Aztecs missed their first seven shots and 14 of their first 16, and trailed 19-6. The Aztecs didn’t make a basket before the first media timeout and didn’t make a perimeter jumper until 8:30 left in the half.
The Bulldogs grew the lead to 15, and the game quickly resembled the Jan. 22 meeting in Fresno, only in reverse. In that game, the Aztecs led by 20 early and lost. This time, it was Fresno State’s turn to blow the big lead — and almost lose.
The Aztecs methodically cut into a 39-32 halftime deficit and finally took their first lead on a tip dunk on the break by McDaniels with 15:26 to go. Hutson called timeout to quiet the crowd, but he couldn’t quiet himself and official Chris Rastatter gave him his first technical foul as a college head coach.
From there it was close until Matt Mitchell’s 3 with 2:50 to go pushed SDSU’s margin to eight and seemed to seal it.
“I’m not going to obsess over this loss,” Hemsley said. “We lost the game. It’s over ... We can’t let this loss sink us and lead to more losses. It happened, and we can’t take it back.”
Notable
It was SDSU’s first Senior Night loss since 2005. It also ended a 14-game home conference win streak … Viejas Arena was sold out for the second time this season … Sohikish played the first 3:23 before Mitchell, whose place he took in the starting lineup, subbed in for him … Watson and McDaniels led SDSU with 16 points each. Hemsley had 15, and Mensah 12 … The Aztecs outrebounded the Bulldogs 43-32 but had 15 turnovers … The regular Viejas announcer was sick, and his replacement properly introduced Mensah as being from Ghana, not the South American nation of Guyana …
Fresno State suited up only nine players, and one of them, freshman Aguir Agau, took a nasty spill in the first half and didn’t return. San Marcos High alum Johnny McWilliams left the team for undisclosed reasons in mid-February and has missed the last four games.

Aztecs have been losin' lately. Oh well. I probably need to start getting ready for the Pads while still hoping for a miraculous run through the Mountain West Tourney.

****, man. Will I ever root for a winner? Like at least once? Just once?

Aztecs have been losin' lately. Oh well. I probably need to start getting ready for the Pads while still hoping for a miraculous run through the Mountain West Tourney.

****, man. Will I ever root for a winner? Like at least once? Just once?
My dad said just once he’d like to see the Padres in the World Series. He died in June 1984.