Aztecs Football Thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Martz is pushing 70 years old, I think he might welcome the OC position in his hometown. I don’t think he’ll ever get another head coaching position, taking the AAF position was kinda desperate if you ask me. We all had high hopes for the league, but looking at it realistically, all the coaches they got were “names” that were not going to get hired again anyway.
yeah could be, he may be already out to pasture. I wonder if he stays up with the game at college and NFL level, he must because he was prepping players for NFL jobs when he coached the Fleet. Does he still? Would love to hear from him as to his situation currently and what interest and at what level and position he might consider continuuing. 70 doesn't rule the guy out. What age was Arnsparger when he coached the D for Bobby Ross?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
yeah could be, he may be already out to pasture. I wonder if he stays up with the game at college and NFL level, he must because he was prepping players for NFL jobs when he coached the Fleet. Does he still? Would love to hear from him as to his situation currently and what interest and at what level and position he might consider continuuing. 70 doesn't rule the guy out. What age was Arnsparger when he coached the D for Bobby Ross?
I think Arnaparger was 69 when Ross grabbed him. 70 doesn’t DQ him, hell Rocky Long might be older than 70 for all I know, but I just think he’d be better suited to trying his hand as OC. It’s crazy how much the Aztecs continually choke, but you can’t really argue with the guy’s bowl record (10 in a row). I think he’s earned the right to call his shots.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think Arnaparger was 69 when Ross grabbed him. 70 doesn’t DQ him, hell Rocky Long might be older than 70 for all I know, but I just think he’d be better suited to trying his hand as OC. It’s crazy how much the Aztecs continually choke, but you can’t really argue with the guy’s bowl record (10 in a row). I think he’s earned the right to call his shots.
definitely a huge improvement over Hoke. That guy went on to suck at Michigan. I guess if they get the right OC, someone innovative, they can go to a new level but really they are pretty much limited by recruiting. They've still had some gems especially at RB who went on to star in the NFL. Just would like a greater concentratio of those types and that takes a reknowned HC. Not sure that will ever be in the cards for the Aztecs again after Coryell....and really he wasn't a national treasure until he hit the NFL first with the Cards then the incredible offenses he had with the Chargers. He is HOF even thought the dummies who vote have a low football IQ. Would love it if another Coryell took over the reigns at SDSU. Unfortunately that guy is a once in a lifetime type coach especially for SD.

Reactions: Fender57