Aztecs Football Thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Who do they play next week?
We play in Hawaii next week. The Rainbow Warriors are right behind us in the division. A win would probably clinch us a spot in the Mountain West championship game. A loss would suck ass. So let's kick their butts from the winward to the leeward side.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
And we are eliminated.

Oh well. A few years ago I would have taken this hard. Nowadays it is no big deal. The Spanos move has not only drowned out my love for the NFL but for football in general. It is a boring sport.

Get'm next year, football Aztecs. Onto basketball. Our Aztecs team is looking good. Even my Suns look decent for once.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
So today is the day we have to win. BYU. Our old nemesis. Needs to go down. We got a redshirt freshman starting at QB today. We will see how it goes.

Aztecs basketball crushed Creighton yesterday in the semis of the Vegas tournament.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Here's a guy the Aztecs could use as a HC. He apparently is stepping down because he shuns the spotlight and just loves coaching:

Problem is sounds like he's taking a position as a consultant at UW. Hell, if he really loves just coaching and being out of the spotlight seems like SDSU would be perfect. Maybe he's just done with coaching period.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Here's a guy the Aztecs could use as a HC. He apparently is stepping down because he shuns the spotlight and just loves coaching:

Problem is sounds like he's taking a position as a consultant at UW. Hell, if he really loves just coaching and being out of the spotlight seems like SDSU would be perfect. Maybe he's just done with coaching period.
The Aztecs better not change the headcoach. Sorry. Rocky Long needs to stay. He has been running the D, and that D has been damn good for years. Let's just change the offensive coordinator.

I don't know how many people were paying attention before Hoke and then Long took over, but we were among the worst teams in football history. There was talk of cutting the football program from the university. Since then, we have constantly been competing for conference titles and are always in bowl games.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
The Aztecs better not change the headcoach. Sorry. Rocky Long needs to stay. He has been running the D, and that D has been damn good for years. Let's just change the offensive coordinator.

I don't know how many people were paying attention before Hoke and then Long took over, but we were among the worst teams in football history. There was talk of cutting the football program from the university. Since then, we have constantly been competing for conference titles and are always in bowl games.
Gonna agree with this. That D is incredible. Get Martz in here to run the O and let’s see what happens.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The thing is if you want to recruit big names you gotta get a name HC. Rocky who???? Agree great defenses but how's the recruiting? They need to pull something like they did when they got Fisher from Michigan for the BB program.I'd like to see them start recruiting big names from around the country and that would mean getting a big name HC, even if it's someone controversial who lost a job elsewhere. JMHO. Tired of the mediocrity and losing to tomato cans every year.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Gonna agree with this. That D is incredible. Get Martz in here to run the O and let’s see what happens.
Martz isn't gonna stoop to become OC for the Aztecs. HC possibly. If they could get a name like that for HC then you might see some top QB recruits come to the Aztecs.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Martz isn't gonna stoop to become OC for the Aztecs. HC possibly. If they could get a name like that for HC then you might see some top QB recruits come to the Aztecs.
Is Aztecs o'coordinator less prestigious than head coach in the Alliance of American Football?

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Is Aztecs o'coordinator less prestigious than head coach in the Alliance of American Football?
I'd say probably yeah for sure....one is pro football the other college. I think Martz is HC material and probably loves that job more than OC......he sure seemed in his element as a HC in the AAF. And IIRC he was an NFL HC prior to that. So just give the guy a huge contract to become HC at SDSU and let's get back to the Don Coryell days. We can always hire a great DC to keep that D goin strong. Would LOVE it if Martz would want that job. Not sure he would but hey, it's in SD and as a HC. The major hurdle to getting a great big name HC however may be $$$$$. Does state even have that kind of dough? They did for Fisher.

As much as the guy irritates me, what would be truly amazing is if Jim Harbaugh just decided he'd had enough of the snow in Ann Arbor, had enough of the NFL, and wanted to bring his wife back to SD. Offer the guy a lifetime coaching job (which he wanted at UM and didn't get) and you'd see SDSU become a national force. However again, HUGE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Money talks. BS walks.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Martz is pushing 70 years old, I think he might welcome the OC position in his hometown. I don’t think he’ll ever get another head coaching position, taking the AAF position was kinda desperate if you ask me. We all had high hopes for the league, but looking at it realistically, all the coaches they got were “names” that were not going to get hired again anyway.