Aztecs Football Thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Well that sucked. I hope they figure the offense out quick. UCLA next week and we have never beat them.

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
I think that it will still make for an exciting football game, especially if the Aztecs can get on track with their new offense.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Yeah we NEVER beat UCLA.....hopefully this is different but not expecting much if the offense doesnt get into gear real fast.

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Scouting Report: Aztecs at UCLA

San Diego State state renews a series that dates back 97 years when it travels to the Rose Bowl for Saturday’s game against UCLA. This is the 23rd meeting between the schools. SDSU has never won, compiling a 0-21-1 record. It is the first meeting since UCLA’s 33-14 win in 2009 at the Rose Bowl.
UCLA is a 7-point favorite in the game.
About the Bruins
UCLA has really struggled to find its way for more than two decades now, ever since Terry Donahue retired following 20 years as head coach. Donahue is both the winningest coach in UCLA (151 wins) and Pac-10 (98 wins) history. He guided the Bruins to five conference championships and a record eight straight bowl wins among 13 postseason appearances.
UCLA has had five head coaches — Bob Toledo, Karl Dorrell, Rick Neuheisel, Jim Mora and Chip Kelly — since Donahue left after the 1995 season. The Bruins have two conference championships (in 1997-98) and six bowl victories during that period.
The honeymoon period didn’t last long for Kelly, who signed a five-year, $23.3 million contract after Mora was fired following the 2017 season.
UCLA started 0-5 last season (it’s worst start in 75 years) and finished the year 3-9 (its poorest record since going 2-7-1 in 1971). All was not lost. The Bruins did defeat crosstown rival USC.
UCLA was picked to finish third (with Arizona State) in the Pac-12’s South Division in a preseason media poll.
Kelly was hired with the hope of bringing to UCLA rekindled the success he brought to Oregon, as opposed to the struggles that got him fired twice in four years as an NFL head coach at Philadelphia and San Francisco.
A season-opening 24-14 loss last week at Cincinnati did nothing to reassure the fan base or other national observers that this season will be different than last year.
Yahoo! Sports columnist Pat Forde tweeted: “Where did the real Chip Kelly go? The guy I saw Thursday night sure didn’t look like the cutting-edge coaching savant of Oregon days.”
The offense
The fast-paced, high-scoring offense Kelly implemented at Oregon remains very much a work in progress at UCLA.
Bruins sophomore quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson struggled tremendously, completing only 8 of 26 passes. Worse, he threw two interceptions. Worst, he had the ball fall out of his hands twice for fumbles.
The four turnovers — two in the red zone — certainly hurt the offensive, but the struggles couldn’t be placed solely on the quarterback’s shoulders.
“I think the whole offense as a group, we need to do a better job clicking,” Kelly told the Los Angeles Times after Monday’s practice. “We had some new guys up front, obviously (Cincinnati’s defensive) front presented some problems and issues for us, but we’ve got to protect (Thompson-Robinson) better.
“We have to be able to be a little cleaner in the pocket and give him a little more time because I thought our receivers did a decent job of getting open, but there were times where we just didn’t have enough time to get them the football, so overall offensively we were not very good.”
The Bruins totaled only 218 yards in offense against the Bearcats, 62 yards of it in rushing. The ground game gained just 1.7 yards per game, obviously missing injured starter Joshua Kelley.
Kelley’s status, as well as that of his other injured teammates, remains uncertain against SDSU. The players reportedly were dressed Monday to fully practice, but they were similarly outfitted last week.
“Most of those guys trained last week,” Kelly told the Times, “but it wasn’t where we thought it was safe to put them in a game.”
UCLA also was without wide receiver Theo Howard and offensive linemen Michael Alves (St. Augustine High) and Alec Anderson.
The Bruins roster includes nine players from San Diego area schools. Freshman running back Jahmon McClendon (Monte Vista High) is among them. Kelly told the Times that McClendon is one of those players with “bright futures,” but did not play against Cincinnati because he was not ready to play in a college football game.
The defense
Cincinnati quarterback Desmond Ridder created problems for UCLA by doing something the Aztecs will need to do — complete passes to the team’s receivers. Especially early in the game.
Ridder hit 12 of his first 16 passes (including 4 of 5 on third-down conversions).
By game’s end, he had completed 18 of 26 for 242 yards and two touchdowns with one interception while connecting with seven different players. The sophomore also carried nine times for 34 yards, including a second-half scramble for a first down.
This helped open things up to some degree for the Bearcats’ ground game. They rushed 49 times for 175, giving them 417 yards of total offense.
UCLA senior linebacker Krys Barnes had 10 tackles and sophomore defensive lineman Atonio Mafi had nine tackles to boost the defense.
Junior cornerback Darnay Holmes, who led the defense last season with three interceptions and two forced fumbles, was among those out with an injury. His status for this week remains uncertain.

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Aztecs still seeking first win against UCLA in series that dates back 97 years

On the eve of national signing day in 1982, UCLA football coach Terry Donahue lunched at the Boll Weevil restaurant on Mission Gorge Road.
Donahue wasn’t drawn to town because the Boll Weevil is “Home of the 1/2-pound Steerburger.”
He was simply grabbing a bite before continuing another seven miles east to call on Helix High’s Karl Dorrell, a wide receiver who was orally committed to San Diego State.
The next day, Dorrell signed a national letter of intent with UCLA.
Salt in the wound came soon enough. Dorrell joined the Bruins when they began a decade-long series of annual meetings with SDSU from 1984-93. That, after going 50 years without seeing each other across the field.
Those 10 games did not go well for the Aztecs. Of course, neither did the games before or since.
SDSU is 0-21-1 all-time against UCLA. No other school have the Aztecs met this many times without winning (0-7 against TCU is next).
A 13-13 tie in 1924 represents the only time SDSU players haven’t walked off the field with a loss.
SDSU has come agonizingly close to victory, perhaps no more so than in an 18-15 loss in 1984 at San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium that would have been the biggest upset in school history.
The Aztecs defense limited UCLA to kicker John Lee’s NCAA-record-tying six field goals.
SDSU’s offense frittered away fourth-quarter opportunities, however.
The Aztecs had the ball inside the red zone twice in the game’s final 10 minutes, fumbling it away at the 3- and 18-yard lines. The final insult came when SDSU kicker Chris O’Brien’s 44-yard field goal attempt was wide left with 16 seconds remaining.
Instead of an incredible win — or tie — against the nation’s No. 4-ranked team, SDSU suffered its school-record ninth straight loss.
The Aztecs again came within three points of UCLA in the 1989 meeting in San Diego. The 20th-ranked Bruins needed a touchdown in the game’s final three minutes to pull out a 28-25 win.
A year earlier, UCLA posted the most lopsided score in the series, with quarterback Troy Aikman leading the Bruins to a 59-6 win at the Rose Bowl.
After a 52-13 UCLA win in 1993 — when Marshall Faulk was limited to 53 yards rushing while former Point Loma High star J.J. Stokes caught three TD passes for the Bruins — the teams did not meet again until 2002.
“I’m glad this series is over because even though we won all 10 games, we had nothing to gain and everything to lose,” Donahue said.
The teams have played only five times since. They last met in the 2009 season opener, when UCLA won 33-14 at the Rose Bowl in Brady Hoke’s first game as SDSU head coach.
This is the first of four meetings over the next eight seasons. The teams play in San Diego next year and again in 2023, and at the Rose Bowl again in 2026.
While longtime SDSU fans know only too well what’s gone on between UCLA and SDSU through the year, all this history is lost on the current Aztecs players.
“That’s ancient history, honestly, because we were never on those teams,” SDSU linebacker Kyahva Tezino said. “It’s like a new era now.”
“It’s not like we haven’t beaten Pac-12 teams in the past,” said SDSU center Keith Ismael, referencing victories over Cal, Stanford and Arizona State (twice) over the past three years. “In the past years we’ve played up to that level. ... So we are ready for the challenge and we won’t back down from a fight.”
SDSU (1-0) comes into the game as a 7-point underdog against UCLA (0-1). The Bruins opened the season last week with a 24-14 loss at Cincinnati, two days before the Aztecs posted a 6-0 home win over Weber State.
SDSU coach Rocky Long said he is sure most of his players had no idea about the history of the SDSU-UCLA series before people started telling them about it this week.
“I don’t think it matters to them,” Long said. “It will matter to them if we win. It will matter to them 20 years from now, because they’ll be bragging about the first team that ever beat UCLA.”
SDSU-UCLA series
1922 — UCLA 25, SDSU 6, at Balboa Stadium
1923 — UCLA 12, SDSU 0, at Moore Field
1924 — SDSU 13, UCLA 13, at Balboa Stadium
1925 — UCLA 7, SDSU 0, at Moore Field
1926 — UCLA 42, SDSU 7, at Moore Field
1933 — UCLA 13, SDSU 0, at Spaulding Field
1934 — UCLA 20, SDSU 0, at Spaulding Field
1984 — UCLA 18, SDSU 15, at San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium
1985 — UCLA 45, SDSU 14, at Rose Bowl
1986 — UCLA 45, SDSU 14, at San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium
1987 — UCLA 47, SDSU 34, at Rose Bowl
1988 — UCLA 59, SDSU 6, at Rose Bowl
1989 — UCLA 28, SDSU 25, at San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium
1990 — UCLA 45, SDSU 31, at Rose Bowl
1991 — UCLA 27, SDSU 12, at San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium
1992 — UCLA 35, SDSU 7, at Rose Bowl
1993 — UCLA 13, SDSU 52, at San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium
2002 — UCLA 43, SDSU 7, at Qualcomm Stadium
2003 — UCLA 20, SDSU 10, at Rose Bowl
2004 — UCLA 33, SDSU 10, at Rose Bowl
2005 — UCLA 44, SDSU 21, at Qualcomm Stadium
2009 — UCLA 33, SDSU 14, at Rose Bowl
UCLA injury report
According to the Los Angeles Times, the status of UCLA running back Joshua Kelley (knee), cornerback Darnay Holmes (ankle), receiver Theo Howard (wrist) and offensive linemen Michael Alves (back) and Alec Anderson (leg) remains up in the air against the Aztecs. The players missed the Bruins’ opener at Cincinnati.
The Times reports all five players practiced this week, although Holmes worked on the side with a trainer Wednesday. Four players who definitely will not be available for the Bruins are running back Kazmeir Allen (academic ineligibility) and linebackers Keisean Lucier-South (academic ineligibility), Tyree Thompson (foot surgery) and Bo Calvert (NCAA suspension).

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Any bets on how many games the FUdean's will have to play in Carson before they outdraw tonight's game in the Rose Bowl???

I miss the Boll Weevil :( :( :(

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Any bets on how many games the FUdean's will have to play in Carson before they outdraw tonight's game in the Rose Bowl???

I miss the Boll Weevil :( :( :(
Boll Weevil Burger rocked!!!!! Loved that place. Used to go to the one in C.V. all the time during and after H.S. Kept going until they left. I'm not sure but I think the last one was in La Jolla. Anyone know if there is one still around? Loved you could basically put your own burger together with the condiments....and it was a big patty and they also had great fries.

Now supposedly Hodads is the best burger in town but haven't been there. At least Guy Fieri thinks it is, but I believe his buddy is the proprietor so maybe conflict of interest lolz.

If we ever get another NFL franchise we should call it the Boll Weevils and that place should reopen and be the official sponsor. Boll Weevil Stadium.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Boll Weevil Burger rocked!!!!! Loved that place. Used to go to the one in C.V. all the time during and after H.S. Kept going until they left. I'm not sure but I think the last one was in La Jolla. Anyone know if there is one still around? Loved you could basically put your own burger together with the condiments....and it was a big patty and they also had great fries.

Now supposedly Hodads is the best burger in town but haven't been there. At least Guy Fieri thinks it is, but I believe his buddy is the proprietor so maybe conflict of interest lolz.

If we ever get another NFL franchise we should call it the Boll Weevils and that place should reopen and be the official sponsor. Boll Weevil Stadium.
One is left for sure in Kearny Mesa at the corner of Ruffin and Clairemont Mesa Blvd,

My friends and I would take our paper route money and ride our bikes from Otay Mesa to the Boll Weevil in CV to chow down on the half pound steerburgers. They had those giant turtle shells hanging on the walls too, right?

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
One is left for sure in Kearny Mesa at the corner of Ruffin and Clairemont Mesa Blvd,

My friends and I would take our paper route money and ride our bikes from Otay Mesa to the Boll Weevil in CV to chow down on the half pound steerburgers. They had those giant turtle shells hanging on the walls too, right?
There is another one off Fletcher Parkway in La Mesa, and I believe there is one in Lemon Grove on Broadway just off the 94. Go Weevils!

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

There is another one off Fletcher Parkway in La Mesa, and I believe there is one in Lemon Grove on Broadway just off the 94. Go Weevils!
I can't remember the turtle shells but you are probably right! LOL. I just was concentrating on the 1/2 lb burgers and fries .....awesome. Glad to hear they are still around at least. I'll have to try to stop in next time I'm down that way. I think the one on Clairemont Mesa Blvd would work for me. GO WEEVILS!!!!!! The San Diego WEEVILS! Love it.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
AZTECS BEAT UCLA 23-14!!!!! GO SAN DIEGO ST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So we've beaten Stanford last year and UCLA this year. Not bad

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
What was the attendance?

I’m going to start a thread for how long it takes the FUdeans to catch up

lol

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Sounds like the running game wasn't all that today, maybe UCLA keyed to stop the run. Agnew passed for just shy of 300yds and had a TD and no intercepts. Not a bad day for the passing game. If this team can be 2 dimensional and go either run or pass they will be damn good. D held them to 2 scores so that's good too. Good start to the year now , was worried after that first game that seemed very lackluster.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Great win!

I'm just afraid that they'll wind up losing against lower teams later on after such a promising start, like they always do.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Great win!

I'm just afraid that they'll wind up losing against lower teams later on after such a promising start, like they always do.
us San Diegans have gotten used to promising starts and the bottom falling out after that lolz. At least spanos the goof is gone so one less team to have to put up with that sort of nonsense now.