At old school, Merriman gets top grade despite positive test (article)

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

nickelbolt

Fuggedaboutit
Aug 20, 2006
At old school, Merriman gets top grade despite positive test
By Lem Satterfield
Sun Reporter
Originally published October 25, 2006
UPPER MARLBORO // Football

A framed, maroon No. 44 football jersey with gold lettering leans against a wall in the principal's office at Frederick Douglass High.

No one will wear the No. 44 jersey again. It will be retired and placed in a nearby trophy case to honor Shawne Merriman.

But more than 100 varsity and junior varsity players at the Prince George's County school have worn new uniforms because of the San Diego Chargers linebacker.

There is a whirlpool, installed last month, across from the weight room, a new tackling sled and an assortment of shoulder pads and helmets for Douglass football players, all because of Merriman, who has donated $22,000 over the past two years to his alma mater.

As you walk the halls and fields of Douglass, Merriman's generosity is obvious. But it's in the hearts and minds of the Eagles players where the 2002 Douglass graduate has had an even greater impact.

That's why news that the former Maryland star may have violated the NFL's steroid policy left some finding it hard to believe and others hoping it wasn't true.

"[Merriman] has not only put this school on the map, but he hasn't forgotten where he came from," said offensive guard Emmanuel Barrett, who, with defensive end Tony Patterson, reported to yesterday's practice at Douglass wearing a Mohawk to emulate the haircut worn by Merriman.

Click the link for the full article...

lem.satterfield@baltsun.com

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
Chispa said:
I think that's only a small example of the kind of stuff he does, too. Bottom line: Steroids or no steroids - Merriman is a good guy.
word

Johnny Lightning

Go Bolts
Feb 7, 2006
Chispa said:
I think that's only a small example of the kind of stuff he does, too. Bottom line: Steroids or no steroids - Merriman is a good guy.
Word.........................:tup:

Electric Chair

May 23, 2006
This is the type of thing that the POS UT should be publishing. SM is doing tons of charity out here as well...

Instead, they are singing the praises of what a great guy Mansker was and how he was born to be a cop.

exodus

Nov 4, 2005
Electric Chair said:
This is the type of thing that the POS UT should be publishing. SM is doing tons of charity out here as well...

Instead, they are singing the praises of what a great guy Mansker was and how he was born to be a cop.
All papers are out to spear the local team. I don't know why this is.:icon_shrug:

Shawne has done a lot of good things. He had a tough life getting to the NFL in the first place. It's just an unfortunate situation. I'm hoping he comes through this ordeal as best he can.

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
Electric Chair said:

Maybe the editor(s) and some of the writers have relatives in one or more of the local PDs. :icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

boltmanbz

Oct 16, 2006
Chispa said:
not to mention his work with the homeless here in san diego

boltmanbz

Oct 16, 2006
PostAnteaterCharger said:
Question
Peppers had this happen to him, does anyone in Carolina care?
leading the league in sack and killing qb's, im sure they could careless

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
I hope he uses this to come back with more passion and tougher. He's a good guy. i hope the best for him.:yes:

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
foober said:
I hope he uses this to come back with more passion to come back tougher. He's a good guy. i hope the best for him.:yes:
What makes him a "good guy" ?

Is it the blankets he gives out ?

Merriman is also single so I think the supplements could have shrunken his willie and desire to pro-create so I am not sure if this is what makes him a good guy or the blankets ? :icon_huh:

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:

Merriman is also single so I think the supplements could have shrunken his willie and desire to pro-create so I am not sure if this is what makes him a good guy or the blankets ? :icon_huh:
Just helping people in need. I was thinking more of when he helped out with trying to keep open that shelter. At least he's trying.

I'm single now. But that has more to do with someone passing away. There are reasons for people being single. I don't know if I'll ever marry again. Being single has alot of pluses. The person would have to be pretty special for me to take on another roommate.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:

What makes him a good guy is his size. When he is standing in front of your saying "You dont want to offend Mr. Gates" You say "no sir! your a good guy sir!" Or you play the trumpet out of a new oraphus...:icon_eek:

TheLash

Aug 8, 2006
Chispa said:
Yeah what she said!